I think it's time to admit that Toyotaro is a writer.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

I think it's time to admit that Toyotaro is a writer.

Post by Skar » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:08 pm

On each volume cover, Toyotaro is only credited as the artist. Upon further research, I have to reason to believe that he might in fact be a writer as well. Evidence:
-He uses a Pomera digital memo pad to write his scripts. He likes it because the battery lasts a long time, and it allows him to do work outside his studio (at cafes and such).

If he is merely responsible for the art, what would he write scripts for? If you look closely, this interview pertains to his involvement in the Dragon Ball Super manga therefore I've come to the conclusion that the scripts in question refer to said manga.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: I think it's time to admit that Toyotaro is a writer.

Post by Alruneia » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:34 pm

I think so too. Moreover, his Dragon Ball Super manga is one of the manga I've ever read.
What's up with all these threads? Is this what we're doing tonight?
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:36 pm

Alruneia wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:34 pm What's up with all these threads? Is this what we're doing tonight?
I have no idea, but whatever it is, I hate it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 pm

Alruneia wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:34 pm I think so too. Moreover, his Dragon Ball Super manga is one of the manga I've ever read.
Looks like this forum is running out of topics to talk about. We really need the anime back :D Let's hope for an announcement at Jump Fiesta (I'd be fine with a new movie too).

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:06 pm

I believe this translation story by Toriyama, art by Toyo is only in the English version. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:19 pm

Haha these threads are giving my life after that garbage essentialist inflammatory one.

Yeah I wonder why the UK (and presumably all english) release says "Story By Toriyama and "art by Toyo"
When it should be "Story by Toriyama and Toyo and Art by Toyorato"
In facts you could even just put "Story and Art by Akira Toriyama and Toyorato" as Toriyama redraws some panels and pages!
(Although I think you could argue Toyo redraws the final version of Toriyamas redraw? I'm not sure that's been proven?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:44 pm

No, Toyo-tarou isn't a writer. Writers don't EXIST!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:34 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:06 pm I believe this translation story by Toriyama, art by Toyo is only in the English version. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah, in japan it's something like 'Original author: Toriyama', which implies more that he's the creator of the series.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:16 am

This actually bothers the hell out of me and I wish Viz would fix it. The Japanese credits are: Original story - Akira Toriyama, Manga - Toyotaro.

Supplementary interviews, etc. for the series have made it abundantly clear that Toyotaro scripts the series, by and large (there are some scenes corrected by Toriyama, and some Toriyama may have more actively scripted in earlier arcs from the start, given similarities between the manga and anime), but either way, solely giving him an artist credit for the English edition is a misrepresentation of what his role is.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:07 pm

I think it’s time to admit these threads are stupid.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:52 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:07 pm I think it’s time to admit these threads are stupid.
I think it's time to admit that these threads are already understood to be stupid.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:52 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:07 pm I think it’s time to admit these threads are stupid.
I think it's time to admit that these threads are already understood to be stupid.
But is it stupid the same way that Jim Carrey movies are stupid? Or stupid in the same way that Uwe Boll movies are stupid?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:04 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:52 pm
But is it stupid the same way that Jim Carrey movies are stupid? Or stupid in the same way that Uwe Boll movies are stupid?
No, those are offensive and made by offensive people. These threads are now made by shitposters, far less--if at all--offensive beings than your two examples.
She/Her
bisexual milf

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Honestly I'd rather they just said Toriyama and Toyorato and not specify who does what. Like and Abnett and Lanning, (though those are both authors)
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:46 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 pm
Alruneia wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:34 pm I think so too. Moreover, his Dragon Ball Super manga is one of the manga I've ever read.
Looks like this forum is running out of topics to talk about. We really need the anime back :D Let's hope for an announcement at Jump Fiesta (I'd be fine with a new movie too).
I'd prefer a movie. I think they have more passion for movies than anime at this point. The Broly movie was ok but it was better than the entire Super anime. Plus Battle of Gods is the best piece of DB content in the last ten years and it too was a movie.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:10 am

Cipher wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:16 am This actually bothers the hell out of me and I wish Viz would fix it. The Japanese credits are: Original story - Akira Toriyama, Manga - Toyotaro.

Supplementary interviews, etc. for the series have made it abundantly clear that Toyotaro scripts the series, by and large (there are some scenes corrected by Toriyama, and some Toriyama may have more actively scripted in earlier arcs from the start, given similarities between the manga and anime), but either way, solely giving him an artist credit for the English edition is a misrepresentation of what his role is.
I always poke fun at it when I make chapter reviews. It's so glaringly bad that it deserves a mention each time. I'd like the credits to look like -
Original Story Author: Akira Toriyama
Written By: Akira Toriyama and Toyotaro
Drawn By: Toyotaro

TobyS wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:46 pm Honestly I'd rather they just said Toriyama and Toyorato and not specify who does what. Like and Abnett and Lanning, (though those are both authors)
Not a bad idea actually. Better than mine.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-