Manga UK Releasing DBZ Blu-Rays and Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Manga UK Releasing DBZ Blu-Rays and Steelbooks

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:29 am

https://www.mangauk.com/dragon-ball-sup ... 28834312=1

Both steelbook and regular BD case with slipcover options available.

The regular Blu-Rays will have posters and art cards, so few nice extras there, and the spines line up to make a Shenron image, which is pretty neat.

Least now our average Joe uncut release will be in 4:3, that's something at least.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

CuppaKofe

Re: Manga UK Releasing DBZ Blu-Rays and Steelbooks

Post by CuppaKofe » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:40 am

Looks a lot better than the Steelbooks, what the hell.
I hope considering that funi is sharing the steelbook designs with MangaUK means NA will be getting those standard versions too.
Also hope Super gets a complete set in NA too, can't bothered to buy it part by part for the price they are asking.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:57 am

Yeah, this packaging is more basic, but it's less likely to age poorly and actually fits in really well with the styling used for Kai and Super.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:05 am

Well this pretty much confirms it imo, the 30A master will be the standard going forward. I mean...I guess it's a step forward?

I wonder how long it'll take for them to put it up on FUNiNow.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 am

I like these so much more than the steelbooks. Glad a 4:3 release is the norm again (as it should be). I guarantee these are an improvement over the season sets (besides the 4:3)

edit: I think these would look a tad better if they replaced the scouter markings with action-based line are of each character in a light grey, tho that could look a little bedshettish thinking about it lol
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 am I like these so much more than the steelbooks. Glad a 4:3 release is the norm again (as it should be). I guarantee these are an improvement over the season sets (besides the 4:3)
That appears to be the case, and even though the remaster itself leaves much to be desired this is definitely a step forward after 13 years of fake widescreen versions (between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's) being the standard releases on the store shelves so there's a plus to this. Yeah, even if it's the greatest product i still see this as an improvement.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:25 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 am I like these so much more than the steelbooks. Glad a 4:3 release is the norm again (as it should be). I guarantee these are an improvement over the season sets (besides the 4:3)
That appears to be the case, and even though the remaster itself has leaves much to be desired it's definitely a step forward after 13 years of fake widescreen versions (between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's) being the standard releases on the store shelves so there's a plus to this. Yeah, even if it's the greatest product i still see this as an improvement.
I also saw this:Image

Common FUNimation we're waiting lol

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:28 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:25 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am
That appears to be the case, and even though the remaster itself has leaves much to be desired it's definitely a step forward after 13 years of fake widescreen versions (between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's) being the standard releases on the store shelves so there's a plus to this. Yeah, even if it's the greatest product i still see this as an improvement.
I also saw this:Image

Common FUNimation we're waiting lol
I know right, here's hoping that FUNi gets on it and releases season sets of Super soon or even something like this here because i don't want to take forever in buying the ten Part sets piecemeal. I want to get the show eventually as i'm mostly done with collecting the OG series run and and Kai 1.0 sans the last chunk plus all of the old and new movies but not as it's currently available now.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pm

I pre-order the Dbz Super collectors edition just a moment ago!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:21 pm

If the regular ones pop up at a lower price in the US I might change my pre-order but if Steelbooks are my only option I'll still be alright with it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:37 am

These new sets look amazing, particularly the standard Z ones. Those extras look awesome. It's a good thing Manga UK held off on the previous 16:9 Blu-rays, as these will now sell really well as the first non-limited UK Blu-ray release.

I ended up getting the 30th set at the last minute even though I initially said I wouldn't. I waited years for a UK Blu-ray release of Z (I never imported the 16:9 sets). Even though I knew Manga UK would eventually do a standard release, I figured why not just get the whole series in one go with the 30th instead of dragging it out. I could always sell it and get my money back years later if a better release came around.

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/dragon-ba ... 97644.html
The new sets are up for pre-order on Zavvi for £30 each, which would be £270 for the whole series (only £30 cheaper than the 30th), although I'm sure people can find them for a bit cheaper if they shop around. Base.com are often cheaper than the other sites when it comes to anime, and there's usually a seller on Ebay who gets Manga UK's releases a week early and sells them at a lower price than the other sites too. I remember paying as little as £23 for some of the Kai Blu-rays when they were coming out, despite them being around £28 on Amazon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:42 am

For anyone worried about whether or not these Blu-Rays will get a standard non-steelbook release in the US you could always import these. From the Zavvi listing if you zoom in on the discs you'll see the region coding appears to be A/BIf in doubt you could always contact Manga UK on their various social media platforms to confirm, they are very responsive. It should be noted some of Manga UK's movie Double Features were also authored for Region A despite only B being listed so maybe they're fixing that for future Funi imports.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:03 pm

bernhard90 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pm I pre-order the Dbz Super collectors edition just a moment ago!
Same, did you get it from Anime-on-line.com? It's £125.99, it's like $150 everywhere else.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:47 am

CuppaKofe wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:40 am
When will the original DB get something this nice ? Nearly every mainstream anime has gotten a Blu-Ray release, when will it be DB's turn ?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:45 am

The Time Traveller wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:03 pm
bernhard90 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pm I pre-order the Dbz Super collectors edition just a moment ago!
Same, did you get it from Anime-on-line.com? It's £125.99, it's like $150 everywhere else.
For anyone interested Anime-On-Line are the place to go for these Blu-Rays, as all three seasons can be pre-ordered for £27.99. Zavvi has them at £29.99, and Base only has the first season up but it's at that price.
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:47 am
CuppaKofe wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:40 am
When will the original DB get something this nice ? Nearly every mainstream anime has gotten a Blu-Ray release, when will it be DB's turn ?
It's so frustrating. Even the OG Dragon Ball movies didn't get a UK release when Manga was putting out the Z double features. I'm grateful for the banana bricks but this series is in need of an upgrade.

All we can do is hope that once these new Blu-Rays are finished being released here and in the US, OG Dragon Ball will be next on Funimation and Manga UK's radars. Not going to count on it because the former has neglected this series for a full decade now, and the latter doesn't author a lot of their own discs unless there is an existing one.

Nonetheless, I would say the time is now. We're still in a global resurgence of popularity for this franchise, and likely the best time ever for these companies to profit from as many installments of it as they can, not just Z and Super.

I'd even be happy with the Selecta Vision remaster being imported. Sure it has it's issues, but it's a step up from all other remasters and will be on discs with more durability than DVD.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 am

This is all I have to say about the Dragon Ball Super Complete Collection, other than it's a nice Dragon Box sized set with a booklet and everything...

https://twitter.com/LawDraws/status/1321815714425090048

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:15 am

Some new announcements, courtesy of Manga UK:

Season 4 is being released January 25th

Season 5 will be released February 22nd

Season 6 drops on March 22nd

So looks like they are getting these out in a rather speedy manner. I do hope they sell well so that the UK/Ireland can continue to get plenty more Dragon Ball home releases in the future. Still crazy to think there was a time for a whole decade when all we had was three Big Green movies.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:10 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:15 am Still crazy to think there was a time for a whole decade when all we had was three Big Green movies.
It is crazy, and it really makes me appreciate how lucky we were that Manga UK got the licence. Supposedly they were only able to release the Orange Bricks back in 2012 because of Kai airing on Kix.

All the home releases we've had since of DB/GT/Kai/Super/The Movies, and the Theatrical runs of Resurrection F and Broly, can all be traced back to Kai getting that TV deal on Kix. Without that there's a good chance we'd still have nothing.

It just shows how out of touch with things Toei were back in the day, letting that one TV deal be the deciding factor. The UK/Ireland fanbase had already been massive since the old broadcasts from the early 2000s, but in Toei's mind a home release in 2012 wouldn't have been profitable without getting Kai on TV.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:36 pm

I wish someone else got the licence, Manga have Dragon Ball through Toei, not Funimation, which means if someone like Anime Limited got the licence they could have potentially mastered their own release instead of just relying on someone else's scraps.

Manga are lazy, ever since the days of DVDs, they would just put VHS tapes on DVD without any extras or original audio, stuff like Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex was unwatchable in Japanese (unless you spoke Japanese) because they didn't realise that the subtitles had to be retimed for a PAL release and gradually with every line of dialogue were pushed further and further back...

Card Captor Sakura is coming to the UK on blu-ray soon and instead of just reissuing the US blu-ray release we're getting a totally new one based off of the 4K remaster with fixed subtitles.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:29 am

The Time Traveller wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:36 pm I wish someone else got the licence, Manga have Dragon Ball through Toei, not Funimation, which means if someone like Anime Limited got the licence they could have potentially mastered their own release instead of just relying on someone else's scraps.

Manga are lazy, ever since the days of DVDs, they would just put VHS tapes on DVD without any extras or original audio, stuff like Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex was unwatchable in Japanese (unless you spoke Japanese) because they didn't realise that the subtitles had to be retimed for a PAL release and gradually with every line of dialogue were pushed further and further back...

Card Captor Sakura is coming to the UK on blu-ray soon and instead of just reissuing the US blu-ray release we're getting a totally new one based off of the 4K remaster with fixed subtitles.
Manga are actually owned by Funimation now. We could speculate about how things would be had someone else got the UK license, but the fact remains that we were given nothing for all them years. Another company might have got the license eventually, but there's a good chance we'd still have nothing if it weren't for Manga UK, which is why I'll always be grateful to them.

They did a fantastic job with the theatrical runs for Resurrection F and Broly, and are clearly making an effort with packaging for the new Z Blu-rays. I'd say they're doing the best they can with the resources they're given. It's all too easy to attribute their recycled releases to laziness, but we need to consider the costs of licensing these shows in the first place. Up to 2012 they had to fight to convince Toei that DBZ would even sell here, so them doing their own remaster simply wasn't a viable option.