Why is it that other anime geet pristine home/anniversary releases, yet the Dragon Ball franchise keeps getting ruined?!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Why is it that other anime geet pristine home/anniversary releases, yet the Dragon Ball franchise keeps getting ruin

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:37 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 am
Matches Malone wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 am
KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:39 pm You guys haven't seen the One Piece Blu-Rays, have you? :lol:
I didn't even know Funimation was releasing it on Blu-Ray. What's wrong with them ?
16:9 crop, what else?
Unbelievable. I think the new naruto sets are in 16:9 as well. How hard is it to just leave things alone ?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Why is it that other anime geet pristine home/anniversary releases, yet the Dragon Ball franchise keeps getting ruin

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:54 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:37 am
Matches Malone wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 am
I didn't even know Funimation was releasing it on Blu-Ray. What's wrong with them ?
Unbelievable. I think the new naruto sets are in 16:9 as well. How hard is it to just leave things alone ?
Good lord, it seems they've apparently they've taken a cue from FUNi's playbook with DBZ for One Piece's early episodes. Thank god the releases here have that batch of episodes available in their proper 4:3 up to the point in the 100+ range which brought the transition over to widescreen going forward.

At least the correct full screen versions were already previously released in Japan several times over the years, so those who are upset about this have an alternative.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:24 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:54 am
Matches Malone wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:37 am
Good lord, it seems they've apparently they've taken a cue from FUNi's playbook with DBZ for One Piece's early episodes. Thank god the releases here have that batch of episodes available in their proper 4:3 up to the point in the 100+ range which brought the transition over to widescreen going forward.

At least the correct full screen versions were already previously released in Japan several times over the years, so those who are upset about this have an alternative.
This is exactly it. I'm looking forward to the One Piece series getting Blu-Ray releases in the west, but I'm probably going to get the first 8 collections (I have the first two so far) Manga UK put out because they have the episodes that were animated and made for 4:3 presentation.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 am

i'm a fan of One piece n i don't care if its widescreen so i gotta buy it

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:51 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:39 am
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:07 am DB fans unfortunately support anything with the franchise's name on it, resulting in the companies behind it not having to put much effort into it. Funimation's releases of Z are terrible, yet anytime they put one out it flies off the shelves. The idea of getting Funimation to care went out the window the minute they saw something as bad as the orange sets not only selling well, but being defended by parts of the fan base as well.
Basically this. From a pure business view, why bother actually putting forth a full effort when you can do a lazy job and still get an easy fat paycheck either way. Even now the only people who have put Funimation to trial over their terrible treatment of the franchise on home media are the small subset of hardcore fans who are also AV nerds, who genuinely care about being able to see the series how it was intended. Unsurprisingly since they make up such a small minority of the consumer-base, their pleas will fall on deaf ears.

I myself believe that our only hope of ever having another decent DB release again is if Toei decides to take the initiative and do the job themselves. Even then, that is very unlikely.
Ironically though, Funimation did put actual effort into the Orange Bricks, the problem was that effort was in all the wrong places and only made the show look and sound worse then before. Ironically if Funimation had been lazier with the season sets by just re-releasing the exact same versions they had on the singles(and releasing all the UUE editions of the first 67 episodes without the fake-widescreen), that would've been a major improvement on what we actually got. Nobody was asking Funimation to do a half-assed job of re-recording season 3 and changing the music and definitely nobody was asking them for widescreen, so it boggles my mind why they put in more effort then necessary as that completely goes against their usual modus operandi. That extends to the 30th Anniversary set as well with them going to the trouble to add fake grain and do an almost-but-not-quite fullscreen presentation of the episodes, when it would've been a lot less work to just release the episodes as-is on there as from what i've heard all the episodes had already been remastered to Level-Set quality anyways, so there was no need to screw with them any further.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:36 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:51 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:39 am
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:07 am DB fans unfortunately support anything with the franchise's name on it, resulting in the companies behind it not having to put much effort into it. Funimation's releases of Z are terrible, yet anytime they put one out it flies off the shelves. The idea of getting Funimation to care went out the window the minute they saw something as bad as the orange sets not only selling well, but being defended by parts of the fan base as well.
Basically this. From a pure business view, why bother actually putting forth a full effort when you can do a lazy job and still get an easy fat paycheck either way. Even now the only people who have put Funimation to trial over their terrible treatment of the franchise on home media are the small subset of hardcore fans who are also AV nerds, who genuinely care about being able to see the series how it was intended. Unsurprisingly since they make up such a small minority of the consumer-base, their pleas will fall on deaf ears.

I myself believe that our only hope of ever having another decent DB release again is if Toei decides to take the initiative and do the job themselves. Even then, that is very unlikely.
Ironically though, Funimation did put actual effort into the Orange Bricks, the problem was that effort was in all the wrong places and only made the show look and sound worse then before. Ironically if Funimation had been lazier with the season sets by just re-releasing the exact same versions they had on the singles(and releasing all the UUE editions of the first 67 episodes without the fake-widescreen), that would've been a major improvement on what we actually got. Nobody was asking Funimation to do a half-assed job of re-recording season 3 and changing the music and definitely nobody was asking them for widescreen, so it boggles my mind why they put in more effort then necessary as that completely goes against their usual modus operandi. That extends to the 30th Anniversary set as well with them going to the trouble to add fake grain and do an almost-but-not-quite fullscreen presentation of the episodes, when it would've been a lot less work to just release the episodes as-is on there as from what i've heard all the episodes had already been remastered to Level-Set quality anyways, so there was no need to screw with them any further.
My point exactly, as i have said multiple times before if that had been what the Orange Bricks were released as over what actually came out in 2007 to 2009 we'd be able to easily and cheaply purchase a readily available 4:3 version right now. There was no need for the garbage fake widescreen or DNR smear fest and hack slash partial redubbing, it was all something FUNi did in their misguided idea of making a release appeal to the masses and casual fanbase who want things to fill their widescreen sets. The concept of the Orange Bricks on paper was good, but they really dropped the ball on the restoration side of things when it would've been fine as is with better encoded transfers of the UUE masters for the first 67 episodes and singles for 68 onward, and they could have still done the dub track with Japanese score and broadcast track in addition to the Japanese audio track with none of the half assed redubbing.

I'm happy to have the FUNi Dragon Boxes for my definitive release of the Japanese version, though i would've been just fine with the Orange Bricks had they been done the above way instead.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 am i'm a fan of One piece n i don't care if its widescreen so i gotta buy it
It says that's a Japan release. Stateside, the only blu-rays are the movies and tv specials. Episodes are dvd only, and up to the end of the Navarone arc are 4:3. That's also when they stop the dub opening and ending songs for licensing reasons and whatnot. *sigh*

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:29 am

Super Sonic wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:01 pm
Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 am i'm a fan of One piece n i don't care if its widescreen so i gotta buy it
It says that's a Japan release. Stateside, the only blu-rays are the movies and tv specials. Episodes are dvd only, and up to the end of the Navarone arc are 4:3. That's also when they stop the dub opening and ending songs for licensing reasons and whatnot. *sigh*

I mean import it

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:26 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:36 pmThere was no need for the garbage fake widescreen or DNR smear fest and hack slash partial redubbing
(Emphasis mine)

Is there any evidence that Dale Kelly did uncut recaps for 68-70? Even if he did, there's a scene in IIRC ep 68 where a line would have to be removed and two lines from after the eyecatcher would need to be moved to before it.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:32 pm

Just to clarify something. The new Naruto sets are NOT 16x9. They are the correct aspect ratio just like the Bleach sets.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:32 pm Just to clarify something. The new Naruto sets are NOT 16x9. They are the correct aspect ratio just like the Bleach sets.
Are you sure ? because on the box it says 16:9.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:12 pm

because people are dumb enough to keep buying funi's half assed trash thats why

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:20 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:32 pm Just to clarify something. The new Naruto sets are NOT 16x9. They are the correct aspect ratio just like the Bleach sets.
100% 4:3.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:31 am

Yup box says 16x9 but that appears to be an error.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:01 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:31 am
Yup box says 16x9 but that appears to be an error.
Same thing happened with Madman's Level 1.2.

I think because most movies and modern series are made and presented in 16:9, companies by default put that aspect ratio on the back cover, luckily for old shows it's not always the case and the release is actually 4:3.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:34 pm

It could also be because all HD content on Blu-ray is widescreen by definition, with uncropped 4:3 footage being represented through pillar boxing.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:55 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:34 pm It could also be because all HD content on Blu-ray is widescreen by definition, with uncropped 4:3 footage being represented through pillar boxing.
I thought this too, but I checked my Kai boxes and they say 4:3, to refer to the content presentation rather than the entire picture displayed on your TV.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:54 pm

So does the thread starter and others want some box set that looks like Shenron similar to the set of G1 Transformers that was looking like the Matrix, or the Party Wagon set of the original TMNT?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:13 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:34 pm It could also be because all HD content on Blu-ray is widescreen by definition, with uncropped 4:3 footage being represented through pillar boxing.
How is it widescreen "by definition?"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:27 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:13 pm
How is it widescreen "by definition?"
Blu-Rays always have their picture in 16:9 so that they work smoothly with modern TVs. So for example, a 4:3 show will have the side bars as part of the video, while an anamorphic movie will have the bars on the top and bottom as part of the video too.