"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:33 am

Agreed, I don't see the point of adapting a manga arc as a movie instead of... you know... an anime arc. BoG and RoF happened before the Super anime so they were original stories when they came out, meanwhile you'd know exactly what happens in a Moro movie and how it ends. Where's the fun in that? At least an anime arc can extend it, overhaul some concepts, etc. I mean it's not complicated, look how different the Future Trunks and ToP arcs are in the anime and manga. People like Kefla and Anilaza who are major antagonists in the anime are fodder in the manga. No doubt a Moro arc adapted in the anime would be very different, for the better or worse (hopefully for the better obviously).

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:33 am Agreed, I don't see the point of adapting a manga arc as a movie instead of... you know... an anime arc. BoG and RoF happened before the Super anime so they were original stories when they came out, meanwhile you'd know exactly what happens in a Moro movie and how it ends. Where's the fun in that? At least an anime arc can extend it, overhaul some concepts, etc.

An adaptation is an adaptation, you always know what's going to happen at the end.
That as such does not plead for of an adaptation as an anime or a movie.
I honestly don't know, if you see how slow things have progressed, if i want to see it animated in 25 episodes.
That way you are basically waiting half a year as well, with the cost of more time investment than a movie, in something you already know.
A story which has, not so much content to it if you think about it. In 25 episodes it could even feel more over-stretched than in the manga.
If they choose to adapt it, i think Moro arcs script somehow lends itself to a movie. More than let's say the Zamasu arc.

I'm fine with the movie being something completely different, but the question is 'what are they going to do with the Moro arc then when there is no anime?' Just a quick 5 minute resume at the beginning of the movie? Just skip it? That appears not logical as Goku mastering MUI being a vital part of the arc seems too important just to skip to stay 'manga filler only' or belittle to insignificant proportion within the animated chronology'.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:24 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:33 am Agreed, I don't see the point of adapting a manga arc as a movie instead of... you know... an anime arc. BoG and RoF happened before the Super anime so they were original stories when they came out, meanwhile you'd know exactly what happens in a Moro movie and how it ends. Where's the fun in that? At least an anime arc can extend it, overhaul some concepts, etc.

An adaptation is an adaptation, you always know what's going to happen at the end.
I honestly don't know, if you see how slow things have progressed, if i want to see it animated in 25 episodes.
That way you are basically waiting half a year as well, with the cost of more time investment than a movie, in something you already know.
A story which has, not so much content to it if you think about it. In 25 episodes it could even feel more over-stretched than in the manga.
If they choose to adapt it, i think Moro arcs script somehow lends itself to a movie. More than let's say the Zamasu arc.

I'm fine with the movie being something completely different, but the question is 'what are they going to do with the Moro arc then when there is no anime?' Just a quick 5 minute resume at the beginning of the movie? Just skip it? That appears not logical as Goku mastering MUI being a vital part of the arc seems too important just to skip or belittle to insignificant proportion within the animated chronology and stay 'manga filler only'.
What makes you think Toei would copy the manga version of the arc when they have always done their own thing from the outline provided by Toriyama? Compare some of the Super arcs between anime and manga and you will see that they are completely different. Entire plot points change, character's personalities and abilities are radically different, etc.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:56 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:24 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 pm

I'm fine with the movie being something completely different, but the question is 'what are they going to do with the Moro arc then when there is no anime?' Just a quick 5 minute resume at the beginning of the movie? Just skip it? That appears not logical as Goku mastering MUI being a vital part of the arc seems too important just to skip or belittle to insignificant proportion within the animated chronology and stay 'manga filler only'.
What makes you think Toei would copy the manga version of the arc when they have always done their own thing from the outline provided by Toriyama? Compare some of the Super arcs between anime and manga and you will see that they are completely different. Entire plot points change, character's personalities and abilities are radically different, etc.

I don't think TOEI would adapt it literally. They probably want to keep their surprises.
I share your opinion on that: one way or another, TOEI will have to rewrite to adapt it.
A literal adaptation is no real option here.

The main issue i have with the manga is not that it has no good or enjoyable 'moments' at all, it has some nice surprises.
It just feels over-stretched and is filled with mediocre stuff just to fill things up between the 'major events'. The main problem is the pacing. Adding yet again an overload of filler elements to Toriyamas and Toyotaros basic plot outline could easily lead to the same issue, or even worse, the manga had. That problem may be solved by making a movie from it.

The main point here is: if the next big thing is a movie, not an anime, and it's not Moro: i don't see them bring an adaptation of the Moro arc later on. They won't go backwards in the continuity. Or: the next movie would be something that's chronologically not placed after Broly, but has a completely different place within the timeline of DB and/or has a focuss on different characters than the main crew (Broly perhaps? :lol: ).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:03 pm

If the Super anime doesn't come back till 2022 (or possibly never at this point?), then movies are pretty much the way to go. If the manga also continues to do new stories after Moro continually, it'll be very strange to see all future arcs to never get an animated adaptions. At this point the manga might as well become its own thing completely and diverge from the anime entirely rather than being parallel.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:22 am

precita wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:03 pm IAt this point the manga might as well become its own thing completely and diverge from the anime entirely rather than being parallel.
Has this ever happened to any other manga/anime ? I don't think they'd not use ideas free for grab from the manga...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:40 am

The only thing I can think of is anime that overtook the manga like the 2003 Full Metal Alchemist. Since the anime was caught up to the manga they just went on to do their own original story and made a full series out of it while the original manga went in a different direction. Then of course years later they made Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood to properly adapt the manga into anime. There are other anime too that completely changed from the manga but I can't recall too many off the top of my head.

My guess is the anime could still use concept from the manga like the idea of Moro himself, but the way it'll play out if it gets an anime adaption will be completely different. We've seen it already with the Zamasu arc and the TOP so it's not something that hasn't already happened.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:28 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:24 pmDragon Ball is one of the most popular and successful franchises in the world, how can it not have an anime?
It didn't for 18 years straight, from 1997-2015. I don't believe we'll have to wait that long, but nothing's guaranteed.
Well seing how average was its return I really won't mind having to wait until 2036 to have a new animated series. Maybe by that year, Toei and its staff manage to make DB great again as its early days.
Nanatsu88 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:22 pm There is the key to all this, Digimon. It has to finish in August - September of next year and its place will be taken by another new production from Toei Animation.
Don't set your hopes too high mate as I heard rumours of Toei intending to reboot Zero Two, Tamers and Frontier as well. So that might take a few more years :roll:
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:06 pm Wait a few more years and you may get it in color, looks pretty good actually. :mrgreen:
No thanks, I actually would prefer a more decent storyline to be animated than this mess :thumbup:
Last edited by Noah on Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:05 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:56 pm
Nanatsu88 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:22 pm There is the key to all this, Digimon. It has to finish in August - September of next year and its place will be taken by another new production from Toei Animation.
Don't set your hopes to high mate as I heard rumours of Toei intending to reboot Zero Two, Tamers and Frontier as well. So that might take a few more years :roll:
It's not gonna happen and there is not a single rumor about it
Noah wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:56 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:06 pm Wait a few more years and you may get it in color, looks pretty good actually. :mrgreen:
No thanks, I actually would prefer a more decent storyline to be animated than this mess :thumbup:
If you don't want it, i'm pretty sure a lot of people would like to see it, don't be selfish my friend :wink:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:56 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:56 pm Don't set your hopes too high mate as I heard rumours of Toei intending to reboot Zero Two, Tamers and Frontier as well. So that might take a few more years :roll:
I wonder around when the Adventure reboot will get dubbed & if they'll use the Last Evolution Kizuna cast. I also hope they'll keep the names the same, the background music, & the scripts will receive the same quality translations as the last 7 films & keep out all the stupid jokes. Toei will probably wanna air it on TV, or maybe they'll stream it through Netflix before having Shout! Factory release it. on. home media too. If they reboot the other shows too, I'm curious as to how those would go.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:04 pm

Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:07 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:24 pm What makes you think Toei would copy the manga version of the arc when they have always done their own thing from the outline provided by Toriyama? Compare some of the Super arcs between anime and manga and you will see that they are completely different. Entire plot points change, character's personalities and abilities are radically different, etc.
Well, anime and manga were parallel and they only had the outlines; now they have the manga. Considering SSG Vegeta in Broly and SSBE in manga, it doesn't seem like they want to continue with different continuities. They will probably add and use some pre-Broly filler and stuff, but I doubt they will change the manga events.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:44 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:04 pm https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1325134508782280708

Two new Dragon Ball domains.
What's the role of Hiroshi Saito? Is he linked to the movie?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:12 am

Although I expect we'll get the movie first, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the movie has been delayed in favor of getting the anime back first.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:26 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:12 am Although I expect we'll get the movie first, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the movie has been delayed in favor of getting the anime back first.

I don't think there are a lot here who don't want a fulltime anime back, when it's well written and well animated.
There is one vital thing necessary: staff and resources.
With current staff as far as we know: very difficult to obtain that goal as long as DQ is being made.

However, if they have invested seriously behind the scenes (new staff and resources) specifically for DB, it might still be possible they are actually preparing a new anime.

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:30 pm

Jump Festa is happening next month so if it is anything substantial it will probably be shown there.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:14 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:44 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:04 pm https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1325134508782280708

Two new Dragon Ball domains.
What's the role of Hiroshi Saito? Is he linked to the movie?
Anime-Planet says he's a director for a bunch of tv shows (and only one movie), but the last thing he worked on was in 1992 and Wikipedia says 2003.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:58 am

I believe it's already been established that this individual is just a IT contact person listed on various Shueisha/Toei-related domain names, unrelated to the director of the same name who's otherwise retired.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 am

Considering that it's not Shueisha themselves and the domain was bought later than the one with one extra hyphen, my guess is that they got it solely for a redirect use.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:51 pm

It's kinda odd to see so many headlines like "DBS IS RETURNING?!?!" and "GIGANTIC TEASE FOR DBS REVIVAL?!?!" among websites and Youtube videos when it's all just based on... domain registrations. I don't think they necessarily mean anything. These aren't always used to set up new marketing efforts, and the site could be a promotional hub for all things DB.

You might get something at Jump Festa, but we can't just boldly declare that it'll be anything more than a new manga arc before announcements are made.
Formerly Marlowe89.