4:3 Steelbooks - Inconsistent Subtitles?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

4:3 Steelbooks - Inconsistent Subtitles?

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:35 pm

My first season of the Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray steelbooks (same remaster found on the 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition set) arrived a few days ago. While watching them in Japanese, I noticed that the subtitles for the intro and outro flip from English to Japanese from episode to episode. Is this just a problem with mine? Or is this a problem that affects most/all copies?

EDIT: I'm on the second disc, and the problem affects that as well.

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: 4:3 Steelbooks - Inconsistent Subtitles?

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:53 pm

Oh lovely, Funimation found a new way to screw up their home video releases, why am I not surprised?
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:51 pm

Pretty sure this is just standard for Funi, right? The Dragon Boxes did the same, didn't they? Been a while since I watched them, but I recall noticing the same thing on another Funi release at the very least. Romaji one episode, English the next.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:59 pm

I've seen several anime alternate the language of subtitles of the op's and ed's between episodes, fwiw the 30th also alternates so it's not limited to the steelbook.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:51 pm

Ajay wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:51 pm Pretty sure this is just standard for Funi, right? The Dragon Boxes did the same, didn't they? Been a while since I watched them, but I recall noticing the same thing on another Funi release at the very least. Romaji one episode, English the next.
The Dragon Boxes don't have dubtitles, only the Japanese voices translated to English subtitles. Every other release had both. The dub on those sets really is just a bonus, but that's still ungodly lazy (no surprise from funi, tho).

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:41 pm

KPike87 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:51 pm
Ajay wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:51 pm Pretty sure this is just standard for Funi, right? The Dragon Boxes did the same, didn't they? Been a while since I watched them, but I recall noticing the same thing on another Funi release at the very least. Romaji one episode, English the next.
The Dragon Boxes don't have dubtitles, only the Japanese voices translated to English subtitles. Every other release had both. The dub on those sets really is just a bonus, but that's still ungodly lazy (no surprise from funi, tho).
He wasn't talking about dubtitles. He meant English subtitles and Romaji subtitles.

(Dubtitles haven't been a thing on Funi releases since 2006, anyway.)
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:47 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:41 pm
He wasn't talking about dubtitles. He meant English subtitles and Romaji subtitles.

(Dubtitles haven't been a thing on Funi releases since 2006, anyway.)
My bad. That is bizarre, though.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:01 pm

Yes, this is a VERY common practice across FUNimation’s and other companies’ releases. There is nothing wrong with your discs in this regard.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:06 pm

I've never noticed it on the old singles or the Orange Bricks. Maybe it's a thing with others, though.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:07 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:01 pm Yes, this is a VERY common practice across FUNimation’s and other companies’ releases. There is nothing wrong with your discs in this regard.
That's odd. Is there some demand for that?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:23 pm

i'm pretty sure viz does this as well, at least their sailor moon releases do ? it's very odd and i mainly find it distracting, it's not as bad as like not having the opening besides on the 1st ep of a disc (though i don't know if that ever happens for anime releases, the daria dvd's were like that and it honestly just bothers me), but still i really don't get it lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:30 pm

They've been alternating between English and Romaji since at least the the Level 1.1 Blu-ray. It looks like Super's are only English, but TPTB have been much more strict about subtitles since Super began.

I 'spose it makes sense when you consider that the Japanese version had the song lyrics subtitled. Funi used to have English/Romaji options on the textless ops/eds, which is a much better system to me. Then there's the Dragon Boxes (and One Piece's simulcasts/textless OPs), which clutter the screen a tad with Romaji on the top and English at the bottom.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:35 pm

The Dragon Boxes actually had Romanji and English at the same time, one up top, another on the bottom.

I would have actually prefered the opening and endings only have 1 episode where they're subtitled because it's a song you don't really need to understand it, it just sounds good!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:03 pm

The Time Traveller wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:35 pm
The Dragon Boxes actually had Romanji and English at the same time, one up top, another on the bottom.

I would have actually prefered the opening and endings only have 1 episode where they're subtitled because it's a song you don't really need to understand it, it just sounds good!
I've got some other anime sets that are like that as well, where it switches between the English translation of the openings/ending songs and the straight romanized version in the subtitle tracks one episode after the other through the set. ADV's bilingual release of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman is the same way. This isn't really uncommon for companies to do, lots of anime releases have a similar thing going on.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:49 pm

That's been around for years. Most of my stuff by ADV, Geneon/Pioneer, and Bandai do the same. Though there are a few from the latter's Legends releases that have them both at the same time.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:50 am

Like most people have already said, this is a practice plenty of anime licensors partake in, though Funimation has been pretty inconsistent about it, themselves. I don't believe they do it anymore, but in this case I think they just re-used the subtitle tracks from their previous Blu-ray seasons, which were released when alternating English and romaji was their norm.

Not an error, just a choice to please both crowds: those that want to understand the lyrics and those that like "karaoke subs".
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327