"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:01 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:44 pm I'm struggling to picture Omega Shenron in the game for some reason. He's just such an irrelevant character by now
What, what does it mean? He's still the final boss of the original Dragon Ball anime era. How are Videl or Cooler any more relevant than him? Your kind of logic is fueled by bias and not by actual evidence.

He also has lots of moveset to choose from, seeing how he can use any asset from each of the absorbed elemental Shenrons.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:59 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:01 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:44 pm I'm struggling to picture Omega Shenron in the game for some reason. He's just such an irrelevant character by now
What, what does it mean? He's still the final boss of the original Dragon Ball anime era. How are Videl or Cooler any more relevant than him? Your kind of logic is fueled by bias and not by actual evidence.

He also has lots of moveset to choose from, seeing how he can use any asset from each of the absorbed elemental Shenrons.
Videl may be irrelevant now but she's at least still hanging around and making semi-consistent appearances in the Dragon Ball universe. Her one 'relevant' moment to shine that showcased most of her moves used in FighterZ originally occurred in Z which automatically gave her a lot of priority. Plus, if nothing else, she's another strong female character in a roster that was sorely lacking them originally. And Cooler still has huge residual popularity from being one of the most iconic recurring Toei movie villains so his inclusion was inevitable. Omega Shenron is obviously not an impossibility by any means, hell I welcome unexpected characters in fighting games, but I didn't see any demand or discussion about him before he was leaked since he hasn't had any major story roles in years.

You're right on the second point actually but a lot of his major moves boil down to typical Dragon Ball villain stuff -- big fireballs, finger beams, etc. I do hope they incorporate more unique stuff into his moveset, and like I said, I don't doubt that Arc System Works will do that.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:07 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:59 am And Cooler still has huge residual popularity from being one of the most iconic recurring Toei movie villains so his inclusion was inevitable. Omega Shenron is obviously not an impossibility by any means, hell I welcome unexpected characters in fighting games, but I didn't see any demand or discussion about him before he was leaked since he hasn't had any major story roles in years.
Yeah but Cooler doesn't have any new story presence too, and I doubt they were thinking of his minimal appearances in Heroes when adding him. It's all about popularity or the fittingness.

And as I said, Omega is still remembered as the final boss of old times, especially with how many games put him even on the Intro (Budokai 3, Ultimate Tenkaichi, Extreme Butouden)

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Super Yi Xing Long has regularly made video game appearances for years now. Both Goku (GT) and Gogeta attacks reference their fights with him. Given that they have mined Super and the Z era manga of the important characters, he isn't unexpected.

I am not a fan personally but if GT is to be delved into more than the final guy is the most likely candidate. He does have some unique attacks relating to the elemental power of the other dragons he absorbed.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:37 pm

if I had to choose a list of characters that "are not worthy or not likely"
1.-Tapion: he is a classic but nothing likely due to its few battles
2.- Chichi: why do people insist? there is nothing she can offer here.
3.- Gogeta SSJ4: because there is already Gogeta Canon that combines all of version.
4.-Cabba :: its popularity has decreased and it lacks interesting battles, movements and dialogues.
5.- Baby Vegeta: I don't think it's the type of game in which he can be included

without a doubt omega shenron would not be there ... he is a final enemy and at least he has varied movements in comparison so it will surely be included to close the season

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:22 pm

For the two remaining characters, I see the devs choosing:

- Yi (Omega) Shenron: he fits with a leaked Gogeta line, he's a final boss, he allows the devs to say they covered GT once and for all ("you have the main hero, you have the main villain"), gives the possibility of a Dramatic Finish with GT Goku to hype up Jump promos and gives the devs wide possibilities of gameplay since he can take anything from any evil dragon.

- Ribriand: she adds another girl to the roster and the devs can have wacky fun with her animations and attacks, through the "magical girl" / "power of love" stuff, making her a completely delirious fighter that combines a parody of girly anime stuff (heart-shaped attacks and all...) and a burlesque comics relief (crushing her opponent by turning into a rolling ball, falling in disgraceful manners, etc...).
I could see the devs choosing her simply because they can have fun creating delirious sprites and animations with surprising attacks. They'd probably also have fun creating interactions with a lot of persons, all revolving around love and beauty.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:04 pm

I’m positive that Yi Xing Long/Omega Shenron will be included in this season’s DLC. It would be odd if they kept GT Goku as the only character from that show to be in this game, and Yi/Omega is the most well known villain from GT, with a moveset that has potential in a game like this. It’s a no-brainer.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:49 am

I'd be ok if the last 2 would be Baby Vegeta and Omega Shenron, but I do want some Raditz for an evil saiyan trio

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:21 am

How would you guys feel about characters from other video games showing up? If you had to choose one, who would it be?

I'd probably choose Hearts from Heroes, his gravitational powers would certainly be interesting to see in this game. Cumber, Oren, Kamin and Lagss could act as assist characters Ginyu Force-style. Like Base Goku's Genki-dama, he could steadily accumulate energy over the course of a fight to the Universe Seed and eventually use it to transform into the Godslayer as a Level 3.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:04 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:21 am How would you guys feel about characters from other video games showing up? If you had to choose one, who would it be?

I'd probably choose Hearts from Heroes, his gravitational powers would certainly be interesting to see in this game. Cumber, Oren, Kamin and Lagss could act as assist characters Ginyu Force-style. Like Base Goku's Genki-dama, he could steadily accumulate energy over the course of a fight to the Universe Seed and eventually use it to transform into the Godslayer as a Level 3.
I'd have a giggle if Mira and Towa showed up- they seem to be the most iconic of the video-game exclusive characters. I wouldn't rate them very high on the likelihood to appear though.

Dotodoya tweeted yesterday about matchups in DBFZ and how there aren't that many characters that are hard-countered by certain other characters. When he asked people to give examples, nearly all of them involved Freeza. Freeza is hard-countered by Z Broly, Jiren, Blue Vegeta, UI Goku, Janemba, Kefla and Cooler. That's because he's built around projectiles and those guys all have anti-projectile tech. His projectiles also lose to most beam users, of which there are a huge amount in the cast.

On an unrelated topic, I've replaced Freeza with Base Goku on my team.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:10 am

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:04 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:21 am How would you guys feel about characters from other video games showing up? If you had to choose one, who would it be?

I'd have a giggle if Mira and Towa showed up- they seem to be the most iconic of the video-game exclusive characters. I wouldn't rate them very high on the likelihood to appear though.

Dotodoya tweeted yesterday about matchups in DBFZ and how there aren't that many characters that are hard-countered by certain other characters. When he asked people to give examples, nearly all of them involved Freeza. Freeza is hard-countered by Z Broly, Jiren, Blue Vegeta, UI Goku, Janemba, Kefla and Cooler. That's because he's built around projectiles and those guys all have anti-projectile tech. His projectiles also lose to most beam users, of which there are a huge amount in the cast.

On an unrelated topic, I've replaced Freeza with Base Goku on my team.
I did consider Mira and Towa, they probably would be the most likely out of the whole pack. Though seeing as how their "son" Fu is becoming a bit of a Saturday morning cartoon villain, he'd probably have an equally good shot.

Poor Freeza. I quite like playing him but his lack of pressure, especially against these anti-zoner characters, is rather a problem.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:06 am

It would be interesting to see some character outside of the adapted anime stories in the visuals of FighterZ. Mira might be interesting... tough I really hope we get the Li Shenron! I enjoy GT Goku being an extra character and all about him, but giving him his series adversary would be neat and I really like the Shenron’s design and attacks from the series :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:46 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:57 pmI bet my left nut Omega will one of the upcoming characters. The other is a toss-up between Raditz, Dabura, Toppo, and Pikkon.
Raditz? Why? He's useless. I would prefer Ribrianne over him.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:18 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:46 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:57 pmI bet my left nut Omega will one of the upcoming characters. The other is a toss-up between Raditz, Dabura, Toppo, and Pikkon.
Raditz? Why? He's useless. I would prefer Ribrianne over him.
It's actually quite possible. Assuming the next character's placement mirror's Roshi's (most likely) then Raditz would also be paired up with all the other base-form Frieza Froce Saiyans, following in line from Nappa, Vegeta, and DBS Broly.

He also mirrors Roshi quite well as the weakest of all the villains, much like how Roshi (arguably) fits the roster as the weakest (if not one of few) human. Keep in mind most if not all DLC heroes/villains mirror each other in some form. Even non-obvious ones like Cooler and 17 are "brothers" while Jiren and Videl are "superheroes". The only ones who don't really fit are GT Goku and Janemba.

While there are plenty of characters I'd much rather get, I won't deny his plausibility as the next fighter.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:18 pmThe only ones who don't really fit are GT Goku and Janemba.
The only connection I can think of is that they’re both anime-only characters?

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:09 pm

They both have tails...Really they just released popular characters and some of them happened to pair up well. I don't think there is any special intention when releasing 17 and Coola.

If there really was going to be a pair with Muten Roshi, someone he has an actual connection to like Daimao or Tao would fit but wouldn't count on that. There aren't even an even number of characters in the season 3 pass. Maybe the ToP trend will continue though.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Calling for One Star Dragon and Mister Satan. They both have mustaches.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:15 pm

Makaioshin wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:09 pm They both have tails...Really they just released popular characters and some of them happened to pair up well. I don't think there is any special intention when releasing 17 and Coola.

If there really was going to be a pair with Muten Roshi, someone he has an actual connection to like Daimao or Tao would fit but wouldn't count on that. There aren't even an even number of characters in the season 3 pass. Maybe the ToP trend will continue though.
Wasn’t the idea with Cooler and #17 that they’re both older brothers to characters who were already part of the roster?

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:06 pm

The fact that people want Majin Vegeta and Super Buu (AND EVEN MORE VERSIONS OF GOKU) before Uub, Chi-Chi and Tao gives me a big sad.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:39 am

In Brightest Day wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:06 pmThe fact that people want Majin Vegeta and Super Buu (AND EVEN MORE VERSIONS OF GOKU) before Uub, Chi-Chi and Tao gives me a big sad.
We shouldn't have gotten as many versions of certain characters as we got, much less need more. 2 Broly, 3 Vegeta, 5 Goku ? Did we really need all those ? Don't get me wrong, I understand they play well, but couldn't we have gotten others that played just as well, on top of being new characters ?