28 planets?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caiojoorge

28 planets?

Post by caiojoorge » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:57 pm

In the manga, at a certain point, close to the Tournament of Power, Shin tells Bulma that there are 28 planets with humans in the 7th universe.
I haven't yet made an accurate count, but aren't there many more species than 28 in Freeza's army?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: 28 planets?

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:08 pm

caiojoorge wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:57 pm In the manga, at a certain point, close to the Tournament of Power, Shin tells Bulma that there are 28 planets with humans in the 7th universe.
I haven't yet made an accurate count, but aren't there many more species than 28 in Freeza's army?
Not only Freeza's army, but also species like Namekians, Yardratians, Pui-Pui's race, Yakon's race and so on. There should be more than 28 if we count all of the various species shown so far.

I don't trust that number.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:09 pm

Multiple species can live on one planet. There could be a planet with 10 intelligent species, a planet with 20 intelligent species, etc. As well, some of those species might have lost their world and were forced to join the Frieza Force. The Saiyans are an example of this. I also believe it is mentioned somewhere that 70% of the universe is controlled by the Frieza Force, so they definitely have a monopoly on the population numbers of the Seventh Universe.

Basically, the flaw in your logic is assuming that there can only be one intelligent species per planet.

This is also mentioned in the anime by the way:

This is hardly surprising. Shin and Beerus are pathetic Gods who can't do their job. If they let a crazy imperialist scumbag like Frieza terrorize the universe for decades and decades, it's no surprise that not much is left in terms of planets and population. People don't tend to prosper under a dictatorial regime that constantly starts wars and legalizes slavery.

caiojoorge

Post by caiojoorge » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:21 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:09 pm Multiple species can live on one planet. There could be a planet with 10 intelligent species, a planet with 20 intelligent species, etc.

I came to think of it, but I found no canonical basis. All planets have always had only one species of humans.
Earth = Earthlings
Namek = namekians
Sadala / Vegeta = Sayians
Yadrat = yadratians
Pui pui's planet = Pui pui's race

As well, some of those species might have lost their world and were forced to join the Frieza Force. The Saiyans are an example of this.
Now, this, I never thought about tho. It makes sense.
Despite the inefficiency of our kaioshin (which made the seventh universe the second worst universe in the Zen'oh ranking), and Freeza's tyranny and the supposed control of 70% of the universe, the number still seems irrational, even more if we consider all the races that appeared after the escape from the Galactic Prison.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:23 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:09 pm Multiple species can live on one planet. There could be a planet with 10 intelligent species, a planet with 20 intelligent species, etc. As well, some of those species might have lost their world and were forced to join the Frieza Force. The Saiyans are an example of this. I also believe it is mentioned somewhere that 70% of the universe is controlled by the Frieza Force, so they definitely have a monopoly on the population numbers of the Seventh Universe.

Basically, the flaw in your logic is assuming that there can only be one intelligent species per planet.

This is also mentioned in the anime by the way:

This is hardly surprising. Shin and Beerus are pathetic Gods who can't do their job. If they let a crazy imperialist scumbag like Frieza terrorize the universe for decades and decades, it's no surprise that not much is left in terms of planets and population. People don't tend to prosper under a dictatorial regime that constantly starts wars and legalizes slavery.
But Frieza has planets named in the hundreds in the original manga. In the anime especially. 28 planets is not reasonable in a universe. There is no excuse for this detail.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:29 pm

caiojoorge wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:21 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:09 pm Multiple species can live on one planet. There could be a planet with 10 intelligent species, a planet with 20 intelligent species, etc.

I came to think of it, but I found no canonical basis. All planets have always had only one species of humans.
Earth = Earthlings
Namek = namekians
Sadala / Vegeta = Sayians
Yadrat = yadratians
Pui pui's planet = Pui pui's race
Are the talking dogs, cats, etc. considered earthlings? If No, then Earth already has several intelligent species in it. I mean, the King of Earth is literally a talking dog, whom I would say counts as a different species than Bulma.
caiojoorge wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:21 pm even more if we consider all the races that appeared after the escape from the Galactic Prison.
Yeah, but Shin made that statement BEFORE the Moro arc. Maybe the situation might have changed now (probably for the worse, as Moro and his forces have rampaged across the universe).
Mad Swami wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:23 pm But Frieza has planets named in the hundreds in the original manga. In the anime especially. 28 planets is not reasonable in a universe. There is no excuse for this detail.
Maybe many of those worlds are abandoned. Maybe those worlds are used as "summer" or "winter" retreats for Frieza, his family, and his generals. So for example they conquer a jungle world, they displace the entire native population, and then they keep that world as a resort world for the elite.

That sounds like something that Frieza and his corrupted generals would totally do.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:14 am

Even with the Freeza force doing genoicde it was for other races to purchase and have living space.

So the number shouldn't really drop.

My headcanon is there's a tonne of life rich planets where the life there doesn't quite count as human. 28 human planets and like 1000 with space dinosaurs.

And/or 28 planets contextually means 28 distinct civilisations for Shin to go to their capital city and be like “Hey anyone got any dudes stronger then Roshi we need to borrow them”
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Most of those species are probably in the same boat as the Saiyans, with their planets destroyed by Freeza or Beerus.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:18 pm

The only explanation that makes any sense to me is that there are 28 planets that the Supreme Kai knows about. This guy sucks at his job, okay? Universe 7 used to have five Supreme Kais. Four for each quadrant, and Grand Supreme Kai over all of them. Which means what is considered one job in every other universe was split among five in this universe. And when Buu came and killed/absorbed the kais, only Shin survived. So now we have one Kai who was previously in charge of a single quadrant suddenly having the responsibilities of three more quadrants thrust upon him, without any transition of power or guidance. Heck, when he sees the Omni-King for the first time, he doesn't even recognize his own boss. So when he says there are 28 planets, I call BS. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Considering that DBS retconned the "4 galaxies" thingy from Toriyama's original vision of the universe, there ought to be a lot more planets with sentient races on them. I think its more likely that Shin is simply ignorant and is only counting the planets that he knows or is aware of off the top of his head. He did inherent the duties of 5 Kaioshin as the least experienced member of the group after all. It would be like a junior executive taking on the responsibilities & actions of the board without having been totally prepped for it.

Edit: Dude right above me called it first. :cry:
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:34 pm

I'm ok with Supremekai's explanation.

If I'm not mistaken, U7 is a much older universe than ours, and has survived Moro, Boo, Freeza, Beerus and who knows how many more threats we have no idea about, so by now having 28 planets doesn't seem weird at all. Earth is home of at least 5 different races, planet Vegeta had saiyans and tsufurs, 28 planets could mean hundreds of races, or not.

Also Shin could be missing a few as well, he did miss Vampa (although a retcon ensued there)

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:42 pm

As mentioned already, Frieza Force has conquered a large amount of the known universe.

28 planets could mean 28 planets with intelligent life that remain independent, many of which as mentioned, may share multiple intelligent species. There can be many more planets out there that have life that are not intelligent (by that, I mean planets with nothing but wild life, such as real life Earth before humans evolved).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm

The problem is we're not told how these planets count. For example Broly and Paragus were on a swamp world, did their planet count as one of the "28 planets" because there were two sentient beings there?

We see Jaco visit a moon with some alien selling ramen, did this alien count as part of the 28 planets? What about all the planets Jaco patrols?

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:45 pm

28 probably only means how many are actually harboring strong beings.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:52 pm

When it was said, my first thought:

"Then who the hell is Freeza selling planets to? Why does he have an army for an extinct universe, there's practically no one to wipe out, he could probably do it all himself." :eh:

Just Dragonball Super Things, I guess. :problem:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:35 pm

There are an estimated 100 billion planets in the Milky Way galaxy alone, and there are about the same number of galaxies in the known universe so far. So for all that space to only have 28 planets with intelligent life on it would make finding one the ultimate game of finding a needle in a haystack. I doubt the real life universe is even that empty. At that point, wouldn't it be easier for Frieza to terraform planets rather than steal them?

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:18 pm

I don't take it literally, tbh. I just chalk it up to Shin being a garbage-tier Kaioshin, who is ignorant of his own universe.

Even as of the Broly film and the Moro arc, Freeza is still out there conquering and selling inhabited planets, and no one is doing a thing about it. You'd certainly think that if the universe were near extinction, Shin/Beerus/Goku/etc. wouldn't still be letting Freeza roam around and killing-off the select few remaining species(thereby reducing U7's count even more.)

Aside from that, what 'clients' would Freeza even have if there really were only 28 planets with mortal life in all of U7? I mean, who would be willing to purchase worlds, if 99.999999% of all the planets in the universe are already move-in ready?

Just doesn't make sense.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:50 pm

Technically there should be planet of robot looking beings like Magetta's race in Universe 7 too. In the U6 tournament I think someone asked Shin or Kibito if there was a race like his species in Universe 7 and they said something like, "I think I might have heard something like that."

So where is the Universe 7 planet of Magetta's people?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:10 am

precita wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:50 pm Technically there should be planet of robot looking beings like Magetta's race in Universe 7 too. In the U6 tournament I think someone asked Shin or Kibito if there was a race like his species in Universe 7 and they said something like, "I think I might have heard something like that."

So where is the Universe 7 planet of Magetta's people?
Beerus blew it up.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:05 pm

I always took this statement to mean fully inhabited worlds with races of intelligent humanoid mortals living on them.

While the number of life-filled planets is astronomically larger, it could be that planets like Earth are quite rare after everything that's happened.