"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:04 am

The Undying wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:51 pmIt's kinda odd to see so many headlines like "DBS IS RETURNING?!?!" and "GIGANTIC TEASE FOR DBS REVIVAL?!?!" among websites and Youtube videos when it's all just based on... domain registrations.
They tend to do that when there's nothing. They'll just post a random article or video on a random day claiming DB's returning...because. At least now there's domains, so there's at least something to talk about, although the headlines are still misleading.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:23 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:04 am
The Undying wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:51 pmIt's kinda odd to see so many headlines like "DBS IS RETURNING?!?!" and "GIGANTIC TEASE FOR DBS REVIVAL?!?!" among websites and Youtube videos when it's all just based on... domain registrations.
They tend to do that when there's nothing. They'll just post a random article or video on a random day claiming DB's returning...because. At least now there's domains, so there's at least something to talk about, although the headlines are still misleading.

They don't care about what random fans feel, they only care about clickbait.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:48 pm

Tittle: DBS NEWS! [insert clickbait]?!!! OMG!
Video: I have no idea, but hear me out: maybe

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:05 am

And from what I've seen, if you say something about it, some might even curse your parents.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:05 am And from what I've seen, if you say something about it, some might even curse your parents.
Yeah. Especially Geekdom.

https://twitter.com/__Booyah_/status/13 ... 0873280515
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Yeah, that's the one I saw. Such an embarrassment... Anyway.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Admittedly not a great look, but then again, when assholes continue to say "uh, but ackshully!" all the time on a regular basis, it tends to grate on the nerves of someone just doing their job honestly and earnestly.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:08 pm

There's nothing "honest" or "earnest" about clickbait titles and tweets. That behavior can, has, will be, and frankly should be called out on every occasion.

There's a reason I stick to Kanzenshuu and avoid Twitter/YouTube like the plague. Community standards are important.
Formerly Marlowe89.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:22 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:12 pm Admittedly not a great look, but then again, when assholes continue to say "uh, but ackshully!" all the time on a regular basis, it tends to grate on the nerves of someone just doing their job honestly and earnestly.
Now Geekdom could have behaved like an adult and shrugged it off since it wasn't even an insult and he has 98% of the fanbase worshipping him, but he didn't. He came up with a lame comeback and got put in his place just like when he tried to insult that wrestler.

edit: I can't really tell what's going on since the tweet that guy replied to got deleted, but "when isn't he doing that" leads me to believe they were talking about how Geekdom is always making these absurd 11 minute videos based on tiny drips of info. And they're completely right. It usually has nothing to do with the anime, Geekdom learns nothing and then the cycle starts all over again.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:41 pm

In order to appease the finnicky nature of the YouTube algorithm, pretty much all content creators have to kinda clickbait; it's an inevitable part of the job nowadays given the platform. Same thing with video length; algorithm needs a certain length of time with enough watchable minutes to be considered a good advertising platform.

As far as Geekdom101 is concerned, he's probably the most accessible content creator regarding news and updates on the franchise. I mean, whether you like him or not, he's one of the more recognizable DB news sources and he's not some false news clickbaiter considering he pulls from reputable DB community sources like Cipher, Herms, Anime Ajay, etc.

He's not like HaloFollower for the Halo franchise; he actually does cover real things and doesn't make sh*t up wholesale. But he does also have to structure things in a somewhat similar fashion due to the nature of the platform he makes his income from.

I won't speak on his personal behaviour, but from a production standpoint, he's not doing anything wrong and is in fact a decently reputable source if you aren't good with finding other sources and/or simply find the way he makes it more generally understandable and accessible.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Also keep in mind most youtubers do it to make money off of ads. It's kinda weird knowing most of us discuss Dragonball on forums or twitter or whatever and don't make a dime out of it, yet some people make 20 minute youtube videos of every little Dragonball piece of news and they make millions out of it. It's hard to believe people make a fortune out of stuff that used to be discussed on forums before youtube was a thing.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:54 pm

precita wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:47 pm Also keep in mind most youtubers do it to make money off of ads. It's kinda weird knowing most of us discuss Dragonball on forums or twitter or whatever and don't make a dime out of it, yet some people make 20 minute youtube videos of every little Dragonball piece of news and they make millions out of it. It's hard to believe people make a fortune out of stuff that used to be discussed on forums before youtube was a thing.
The casual person is likely to not frequent forums like these even if they're a fan unless they specifically want to engage with the community present. And often times, they don't.

Kanzenshuu, despite its good reputation, is a niche source as far as public knowledge goes; good to rely upon, but most people don't.

A content creator like Geekdom is a more readily available, visible, and frankly accessible source. You get to see and hear the details in a single video for a given pieces of news with no need to go through the hassle of sifting through multiple individual community reporters or browsing through dozens of forum threads with multiple individuals discussing things.

Also, people are just plain lazy. Watching a video is infinitely easier and more enjoyable to sit through than read an article of a website that they might not have even heard about or feel like verifying for themselves.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:58 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:54 pm
precita wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:47 pm Also keep in mind most youtubers do it to make money off of ads. It's kinda weird knowing most of us discuss Dragonball on forums or twitter or whatever and don't make a dime out of it, yet some people make 20 minute youtube videos of every little Dragonball piece of news and they make millions out of it. It's hard to believe people make a fortune out of stuff that used to be discussed on forums before youtube was a thing.

Also, people are just plain lazy. Watching a video is infinitely easier and more enjoyable to sit through than read an article of a website that they might not have even heard about or feel like verifying for themselves.
Wait, so people spend 11 minutes watching some guy speculate and theorize info they could have read in 30 seconds?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:03 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:58 pm
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:54 pm

Wait, so people spend 11 minutes watching some guy speculate and theorize info they could have read in 30 seconds?
Yes, actually. The algorithm has been narrowed down to this kind of thing.

It's long enough that you feel like you got your time's worth sitting down and watching/listening through, but also short enough that it doesn't become unbearably long and starts losing your attention.

It's a sweet spot of watchable minutes. Too short, it's not worth checking out if it isn't a trailer for a movie/video game. Too long, no point in sticking around since it's just wasting time. But that 10-15 minute mark? Yeah, that'll retain people's attention.

The human mind doesn't actually like having to process information consciously if it can help it, thus rewarding being lazy, but it also still values investment into something that you think is worthwhile, hence why you don't have the attention span of a spastic coffee-pumped squirrel.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:03 pm

precita wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:47 pm Also keep in mind most youtubers do it to make money off of ads.
Sure, but views and potential subscribers obviously play a part. "New Dragon Ball domain registered by Shueisha" won't quite engage people watching YT videos like "DBS returns?" with accompanied tweets claiming, without substantial evidence, that something is definitely and totally being planned.

It's ridiculous, but I won't belabor that point. I'm not a part of Geekdom's audience; it's not my place to lecture him. I just don't think it belongs on a forum that generally thinks more critically about this stuff.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:42 am

The chapter's title should potentially reveal whether Vegeta will play a major role. Less than 24 hours left!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 am

An important distinction between people who make money off of discussing the things I discuss on forums and Twitter for free is that I have neither their interest or possibility ability to turn said discussion into a series of regular, edited videos and grow a stable audience from it, so honestly, more power to those who do, as long as the information is good.

Ask me how I feel about having tweets turned into the entirety of written, monetized articles, though.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:57 pm
Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:05 am And from what I've seen, if you say something about it, some might even curse your parents.
Yeah. Especially Geekdom.

https://twitter.com/__Booyah_/status/13 ... 0873280515
THIS is supposed to represent the Dragon Ball Community???!

Someone please get this man out of his influential position!

Besides, Geekdom has been making many clickbait video titles lately. (This week). It’s seriously starting to annoy me..

That is all I will say on this subject.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:36 am

Xeogran wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:42 am The chapter's title should potentially reveal whether Vegeta will play a major role. Less than 24 hours left!
Are you talking about next chapter title of the manga?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:36 am
Xeogran wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:42 am The chapter's title should potentially reveal whether Vegeta will play a major role. Less than 24 hours left!
Are you talking about next chapter title of the manga?
Yeah but I posted this in the wrong thread by accident, whoops :P