"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:54 pm

The Undying wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:37 pm As usual, I'll reserve my thoughts for the chapter's release and wait until we get the full context, but I'm very much not impressed with the drafts this month. There's one thing in particular regarding Whis that irritates the hell out of me, and I'm pretty much just waiting for all this stuff to get wrapped up.
What is that?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:17 am

I definitely think whatever the Grand Priest wants is going to directly lead into the next arc. It's been mentioned before that Goku and his friends were getting too friendly with the destroyers, so maybe something will come of it. Now one of them is "dead" because of Goku, surely there'll be some price to pay. I really hope Moro is killed now, as I'd like next month's chapter ti fully focus on the ramifications of Merus' "death".

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:28 am

Really shows that the stakes of these crises is continually being risen when you now have Beerus the destroyer willing to step into the ring and dirty his knuckles to put down a serious menace.

Yeah, at this point I'm more interested in what accounts of the Moro debacle and an angel being lost are taking place behind the curtain than I am with this villain himself and how this will be resolved. Since Vegeta is rushing headlong onto the scene I'm going with the already acknowledged scenario of him removing Moro from the Earth and then being killed. Who knows though? We could have an ROF situation where the Earth and surrounding galaxy is destroyed. In such an even you would need the Super Dragon Balls to help rectify the damage as I'm assuming that Esca will be killed in the event of the planet being destroyed unless he's somehow rescued in time.

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:52 am

I bet both Vegeta and Goku hit the gemstone at the same time and that's how they destroy it. Interesting thing though is El Grande Padre calling for Whis and Beerus to come back, wonder what that will entail.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:15 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:17 am I definitely think whatever the Grand Priest wants is going to directly lead into the next arc. It's been mentioned before that Goku and his friends were getting too friendly with the destroyers, so maybe something will come of it. Now one of them is "dead" because of Goku, surely there'll be some price to pay. I really hope Moro is killed now, as I'd like next month's chapter ti fully focus on the ramifications of Merus' "death".

An angel being erased is not something that just happens once in a while.
This may have serious consequences that might be somehow related with the new threat in the next arc.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:21 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:15 amAn angel being erased is not something that just happens once in a while. This may have serious consequences that might be somehow related with the new threat in the next arc.
I'd hope so, as it'd make his sacrifice have some kind of meaning after it was thrown to the sidelines by Goku last month.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:00 pm

What interests me the most is the Grand Priest summoning Beerus and Whis. I love the relationship and dynamics between the Gods in Super. I greatly enjoyed the interactions between the various Gods in the ToP arc. I liked the moment when Rumsshi scolded Gowasu for the whole Zamasu incident, since U10 had to rely on Beerus' intervention to survive (Rumsshi hates Beerus). I also loved the moment when the Supreme Kais convened to petition Zeno to spare the universes, where it was shown that many of these Kais have rivalries going on between each other. All of this adds a layer of intrigue/drama that Dragon Ball never had. It's almost like a political game. All of these Gods are self-serving and often compete with one another, and many of them prefer living in luxury and power than actually doing their job.

Therefore I want this summon from the Grand Priest to lead to something major storywise (well, it probably will, since it's a summon FROM THE GRAND PRIEST). I would love if the other Gods were present at that meeting. I can already imagine that Rumsshi would love watching Beerus get in trouble with the Grand Priest.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:26 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:54 pm What is that?
I'll probably mention it on the 20th. I don't think it's fair of me to criticize or praise a chapter before I can read all 45 of its pages, so I'll just say the preview doesn't enthuse me and leave it at that.

On to the broader topic right now, as far as what big daddy Grande Padre wants, let's hope the memes don't become a reality. Could be a lead-in for the next arc, but it may have nothing to do with Merus (even though Beerus and Whis seem to assume that's the case).
Formerly Marlowe89.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:21 am

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:41 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:21 am Image
Take my money now. I don’t care if the story inside is crap I need that Manga Cover art in my life.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:33 am

Dude, are we getting an Elseworlds tale in DB? That cover is fucking METAL! I need a poster version of it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

AndLad92

Post by AndLad92 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:34 am

I like that cover art! Do we know how the spine art looks on volume 14 too?
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:52 am

god .. this cover sucks goku looks filthy skinny on it

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:39 am

That suit looks sick on Goku! :shock:

It would be a nice homage to Merus.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:01 am

For a second I thought it was Goku Black because he looked kind of evil. I like it though just because of the setting. It reminds me of how much I wanted to have the world of Universe 11 explored because of the cool scifi fantasy style world. It would be nice to see the team outside their dinosaur infested, bland world with capsule houses all over the place.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:01 am
For a second I thought it was Goku Black because he looked kind of evil. I like it though just because of the setting. It reminds me of how much I wanted to have the world of Universe 11 explored because of the cool scifi fantasy style world. It would be nice to see the team outside their dinosaur infested, bland world with capsule houses all over the place.
Earth does have futuristic large cities, the problem is that the fights always happen in random, ugly deserts.

Goku vs. Vegeta -> Random desert
Z Fighters vs. Mecha Frieza -> Random desert
Z Fighters vs. Androids -> Random desert/Random island
Z Fighters vs. Cell -> Tournament ring literally in the middle of nowhere
Z FIghters vs. Buu -> Random desert

And the list goes on...

One of the reasons why I love the Future Trunks arc is that at least the action takes place in the metropolis, even if it has been destroyed.

At this point Toriyama, Toyotaro, and Toei have a thing for random ass wastelands in the middle of nowhere... I do wish some major fights took place in an urban landscape, it would be an appreciated change of pace.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:02 pm
Brettjr25 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:01 am
Earth does have futuristic large cities, the problem is that the fights always happen in random, ugly deserts.

Goku vs. Vegeta -> Random desert
Z Fighters vs. Mecha Frieza -> Random desert
Z Fighters vs. Androids -> Random desert/Random island
Z Fighters vs. Cell -> Tournament ring literally in the middle of nowhere
Z FIghters vs. Buu -> Random desert

And the list goes on...

One of the reasons why I love the Future Trunks arc is that at least the action takes place in the metropolis, even if it has been destroyed.

At this point Toriyama, Toyotaro, and Toei have a thing for random ass wastelands in the middle of nowhere... I do wish some major fights took place in an urban landscape, it would be an appreciated change of pace.

In continuation to your DBZ list of fighting areas in the series

*Yo Son Goku and His Friends Return - fight nearby Mr. Satan's hotel/resort

Battle of Gods Arc - portion of the fight took place by the cruise ship in the ocean, some quick scenes within a city, and then high in the Earth's atmosphere

Resurrection of F Arc - random desert

Universe 6 Arc - remote planet with a tournament fighting platform with some spectators

Future Trunks Arc - big fight mostly in a city in the future timeline, that eventually gets decimated as the fight went on

Universal Survival Arc - a void dimension with a spinning top-like tournament fighting platform with gods and angel spectators

Broly Arc - Planet Vegeta (Bardock vs Frieza) .... remote ice wasteland that gets unstable as the fight waged on causing volcanic eruptions etc

Galactic Prisoner Arc - Namek (on the planet surface & then in space) , remote parts of Earth later on in the saga

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:59 pm

Super Murjin wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 pm
Battle of Gods Arc - portion of the fight took place by the cruise ship in the ocean, some quick scenes within a city, and then high in the Earth's atmosphere
This was another very good battle stage. It was also very fitting for a "battle of Gods", since they were literally fighting above the planet. I'm surprised there wasn't another fight that took place in the orbit of a planet, it's such a beautiful fighting stage and really conveys the idea that Gods are above everyone else:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:12 am

I really hope this cover is an indication of where the story is headed, I've been saying I wanted a Galactic Patrol spin off with the Z fighters for the longest time

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:36 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:39 am That suit looks sick on Goku! :shock:

It would be a nice homage to Merus.
What do you mean “sick” ??