Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 47 - DBZ episode 53-57

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 47 - DBZ episode 53-57

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:27 pm

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 47 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encourage you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you have never done so before, but watch along in whichever way brings you the most joy.

KBABZ and I were both quite busy this week, so we'll be adding trivia and filler details a little later. Sorry if this disappoints anyone.

Previous thread: Week 46 (DBZ 48-52)
Next thread: Week 48 (DBZ movie 3)

Anyway, without further ado...

Episode 206 - Nothing but Goosebumps! The Handsome Warrior Zarbon’s Devilish Transformation (DBZ episode 53)
Dub title: Zarbon's Surprise (Funimation)
Originally aired 27th of June 1990

Kai equivalent: Episode 25 - It’s a Power-Up, Kuririn! Freeza’s Nagging Premonition
Edited dub equivalent: Episode 40 - Zarbon Transformed (first half) and Episode 41 - The Eldest Namek

Episode director: Shigeyasu Yamauchi
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

A fierce battle unfolds between Vegeta and Zarbon! But Zarbon was still hiding his true power. He transforms into an ugly form, powers up overwhelmingly, and comes at Vegeta!! Vegeta had had the upper hand up until that point, but his speed and power are no match for the transformed Zarbon, and he sinks to the bottom of a lake, beaten to a pulp. Meanwhile, after much effort, Kuririn and Dende finally arrive at the Eldest’s house.

Anime-only/filler content: The gang on Kaio's planet trying to catch Bubbles. (Written by Hiroshi Toda)

Episode 207 - Defend the Planet of Hope!! Kuririn’s Astonishing Power-Up (DBZ episode 54)
Dub title: Guru's Gift (Funimation)
Originally aired 4th of July 1990

Kai equivalent: Episode 25 - It’s a Power-Up, Kuririn! Freeza’s Nagging Premonition
Edited dub equivalent: Episode 41 - The Eldest Namek (first half) and Episode 42 - Get Vegeta!

Episode director: Minoru Okazaki
Animation supervisor: Tomekichi Takeuchi

The Eldest awakens Kuririn’s latent power! After powering up all at once, Kuririn receives the Dragon Ball from the Eldest, and returns to the cave to have Gohan’s latent power drawn out as well. Thinking that Vegeta might have hidden a Dragon Ball, Freeza orders Zarbon to go find him. The Dragon Ball that Vegeta hid turns up on the Dragon Radar, and Gohan hurries to pick it up!!

Anime-only/filler content: The flashback to Piccolo/God's original form arriving on earth and then splitting into two, Goku being unable to move as a result of his harsh training. (Written by Keiji Terui)

Episode 208 - Back from the Brink of Death — The Miracle Man, Vegeta (DBZ episode 55)
Dub title: Piccolo vs. Everyone (Funimation)
Originally aired 18th of July 1990

Kai equivalent: Episode 25 - It’s a Power-Up, Kuririn! Freeza’s Nagging Premonition and Episode 26 - The Plot is Smashed! The Counterattack, Vegeta vs Zarbon
Edited dub equivalent: Episode 42 - Get Vegeta! (First half) and Episode 43 - Vegeta Revived

Episode director: Tatsuya Orime
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

Yamcha and Tenshinhan’s training continues on Kaiō’s planet! At first they had a difficult fight with Bubbles and Gregory as their opponents, but the result of the training steadily increased. But Piccolo thought their training was stupid and wouldn’t join in on it. He finally participates in some sparring training, but is surprised at Yamcha and the others’ growth. On Planet Namek, Zarbon discovers Vegeta! Vegeta revives after receiving treatment from a medical machine!!

Anime-only/filler content: All scenes on Kaio's planet. (Written by Keiji Terui)

Episode 209 - An Enormous Battle Power!! Freeza’s Strategy is Shattered (DBZ episode 56)
Dub title: Zarbon's Mission (Funimation)
Originally aired 1st of August 1990

Kai equivalent: Episode 26 - The Plot is Smashed! The Counterattack, Vegeta vs Zarbon
Edited dub equivalent: Episode 43 - Vegeta Revived (first 3/4) and Episode 44 - A Heavy Burden

Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Yukio Ebisawa

The revived Vegeta succeeds in stealing Freeza’s five Dragon Balls! What’s more, he discovers Kuririn holding a Dragon Ball, and begins pursuing him so that he can assemble all seven Dragon Balls right away. Kuririn is ecstatic at having become strong, and doesn’t notice Vegeta. The moment he arrives at the cave were Bulma is waiting, Vegeta overtakes him. But Zarbon also appears, having followed Vegeta, and the situation is absolutely desperate! Meanwhile, Goku’s spaceship is caught in a magnetic storm!

Anime-only/filler content: Gohan making a grave for the Namekians Vegeta murdered, Goku being unable to move due to the high gravity on his ship. (Written by Katsuyuki Sumisawa)

Episode 210 - I’m Back to My Old Self Again!! Goku Takes on 100 Times Gravity (DBZ episode 57)
Dub title: Gohan, the Hunted (Funimation)
Originally aired 8th of August 1990

Kai equivalent: Episode 26 - The Plot is Smashed! The Counterattack, Vegeta vs Zarbon
Edited dub equivalent: Episode 44 - A Heavy Burden (first 3/4) and Episode 45 - Immortality Denied

Episode director: Shigeyasu Yamauchi
Animation supervisor: Mitsuo Shindō

Due to the magnetic storm, the gravity generation device starts acting strange! Goku is hit with 100x gravity. Even for Goku, this gravity is too much. He manages to stop the device, but is seriously hurt. On Planet Namek, Vegeta and Zarbon fight before Kuririn and Bulma’s eyes. Having returned from the brink of death and powered up even further, Vegeta defeats Zarbon! Kuririn has no choice but to give his Dragon Ball to Vegeta…

Anime-only/filler content: Goku still unable to move due to the high gravity on his ship, Zarbon fighting Vegeta in his untransformed state. (Written by Takao Koyama)

-

Interesting trivia:
  • At this point in time in the manga, Vegeta, Kuririn, and Gohan continue getting beat by Reacoom, Gohan has his neck snapped, Goku arrives on Namek and heals all three, and Goku fights Jheese and Butta.
  • If the basis of this rewatch was the original edited dub, we would reach the end of the Saban era this week, as only 53 or 56 episodes (depending on if you count the Tree Of Might 3-part special) were produced. More on this when we reach the equivalent episodes to Saban 53/56.
  • This of course won't be the first time Vegeta severely underestimates his opponent's ability to transform: he'll make the same mistake with Freeza and, most famously, Cell.
  • Freeza mulling over the situation after Zarbon leaves to retrieve Vegeta is the first time the concept of Super Saiyan is introduced into the story. This would influence the Lord Slug movie, but wouldn't be introduced into the main story proper for a whole year. The English dubs of Z didn't render Freeza's original dialogue here, meaning the English versions of Z actually introduce Super Saiyan a little later than the Japanese version and Kai.
  • Episode 54 is one of the few episodes to intercut between two different manga issues rather than adapting them linearly. In this case, Chapter 265 occurs first, but after Kuririn gets his powerup, we cut to the first half of Chapter 264 where Zarbon has to go back and fetch Vegeta, after which we swap back to 265 for Gohan. The rest of 264 plays out in Episode 55, with some added Kaio Training filler.
  • Edits in the original dub:
    • In uncut episode 53, Zarbon's mouth bleeding was painted over, him headbutting Vegeta was cut back to not show the initial headbutt connecting, and to cut the subsequent five hits, as well as two additional headbutts after we cut back to the fight. Blood on Vegeta's face was also painted over from after their fight, and three stars were painted over hits connecting in the fight. Dialogue was also very carefully worded in regards to the Grand Elder's impending death; "His time is near", "He's leaving", "I won't be around much longer", etc. It's actually handled quite well as far as cases of Never Say Die go. Overall, approximately 2% of episode 53's footage was cut.
    • In uncut episode 54, Namekian corpses were painted out, and smoke rising from a dead Namekian a Freeza soldier kills is removed. Overall, no footage from episode 54 was cut.
    • In uncut episode 55, a star was painted over the impact when Tenshinhan punches Piccolo in the face. Chris Psaros was very impressed with how well this episode was rendered in English on the whole. No cuts were made at all to uncut episode 55.
    • In uncut episode 56, some dead Namekian bodies were painted out when Gohan flies over a Namekian village, and scenes of him walking around the village were cut (the only cuts in the episode). To go with this, Gohan's dialogue was rendered as "Vegeta's been here-I bet he was the one who hurt all the people and ruined the land like this..." and "I sure hope everyone got away all right..." Overall, approximately 4% of episode 56's footage was cut.
    • In uncut episode 57, Goku's hand scraping the tether he's hanging off and getting a huge cut, was cut. Dr. Briefs' cigarette was painted out. When Vegeta punches Zarbon through his armour and skin, Funimation edited and reversed some footage so he just breaks his armour, then pulls his fist back out (it's actually a pretty clever edit). To accomodate this, Vegeta standing with his fist embedded in Zarbon was cut, and some of the gory shots when he fires his final ki attack to kill Zarbon. After this, shots that showed Vegeta's hand covered in Zarbon's blood were painted to remove this. Overall, approximately 1% of episode 57's footage was cut.
  • This is the only time in the manga where Appule is mentioned by name. He's the first of Freeza's henchmen to be named, in this case after an apple, setting a trend for his henchmen to be named after fruit. This would carry on into the Broly movie, where we meet Cheelai and Lemo.
  • In the manga, one panel with a text box is all that's used to explain Namek's three suns giving it an endless daytime. In the anime, a dedicated scene is given where Kuririn asks Dende about it.
  • When the Grand Elder probes Kuririn's mind to learn Piccolo's past, he remarks that Piccolo is at half strength thanks to splitting in two. This concept would not be explored again until Piccolo fuses with God in order to take on the Androids (which of course goes to waste when Cell shows up). GT would also allude to this in its first episode.
  • The matter of how the Grand Elder's power awakening differs from Elder Kaioshin's version of it is never explored or explained, making it appear as if Gohan has had his inner power awakened twice. Notably, Gohan does not have his power increase via an extreme emotional outburst, with the significant exception of his fight with Cell.
  • In the anime (Kai included), Bulma makes an attempt to woo Zarbon thanks to his good looks, which doesn't work. This strategy didn't work against General Blue either, but for more problematic reasons.
  • In the manga, the shot of Kuririn, Vegeta and Zarbon rushing at the camera one-by-one is shown in six panels. The panels of their blips coming up is literally a single drawing used three times.
  • Despite Kuririn's claim, Goku never visibly got more powerful after recovering from the brink of death, at least not enough for him to note it. Possible moments where it would have include the Pilaf fight, the Jackie Chun fight, felling Muscle Tower, fighting Tenshinhan, losing to Daimao (which brought him to as good as death), defeating Daimao, defeating Majunior, and defeating Vegeta. It's unknown if being killed by Raditz would have also boosted his power.
Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide. Filler breakdowns and Dragon Ball logo provided, and trivia co-written, by KBABZ. Additional trivia courtesy of Chris Psaros's DBZ Uncensored guide.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 47 - DBZ episode 53-57 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:42 pm

It can't be emphasized enough how good the writing is in this arc. I really love the 3 man race Toriyama has going on between Freeza, Vegeta, & the earthlings. Seeing each team trying to get the upper hand and avoid the other never gets old, no matter how many times I see it. I also like how no one's safe for too long, as no matter how far ahead one gets, something manages to push them back in line. This arc is a great example of there being more to DB than screaming and punching. Between this arc and the Saiyan arc, Toriyama was really top of his game during this period of the story. I think it's safe to say these 2 arcs are among what inspired so many mangaka to be influenced by DB.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:42 pm It can't be emphasized enough how good the writing is in this arc. I really love the 3 man race Toriyama has going on between Freeza, Vegeta, & the earthlings. Seeing each team trying to get the upper hand and avoid the other never gets old, no matter how many times I see it. I also like how no one's safe for too long, as no matter how far ahead one gets, something manages to push them back in line. This arc is a great example of there being more to DB than screaming and punching. Between this arc and the Saiyan arc, Toriyama was really top of his game during this period of the story. I think it's safe to say these 2 arcs are among what inspired so many mangaka to be influenced by DB.
Definitely. As much as I enjoy Super it is a series seriously lacking in story. When you have as many characters as Dragon Ball does a good story depends on utilizing as many of them as possible. These first two arcs are really engaging because it gives development to all the characters regardless of whether they're good or evil. I also enjoy the Buu arc more than the Cell arc for this reason.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:40 am

Interesting that the anime omits the dialogue foreshadowing Freeza's ability to transform during the Zarbon/Vegeta fight.

I enjoyed the comedy inside Freeza's spaceship. I liked the minion Oran. His death scene was funny to me. Watching Freeza and Zarbon lose their shit and running around like fools was entertaining.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:35 am

I always enjoyed Sho Hayami as Zarbon. His deep smooth voice is music to my ears.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:06 am

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:40 amInteresting that the anime omits the dialogue foreshadowing Freeza's ability to transform during the Zarbon/Vegeta fight.
It was probably done to surprise the viewers, which I think was the right choice.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 am Definitely. As much as I enjoy Super it is a series seriously lacking in story. When you have as many characters as Dragon Ball does a good story depends on utilizing as many of them as possible. These first two arcs are really engaging because it gives development to all the characters regardless of whether they're good or evil. I also enjoy the Buu arc more than the Cell arc for this reason.
Me and Robo were talking about this actually, and we personally feel that it's not about utilizing all the characters, but the right characters. For as many as this franchise has, up until the Android Arc each storyline has a limited amount of characters it focuses on. The Red Ribbon Army for example is almost entirely Goku plus whoever he bumped into in the next stage of his journey. Namek is a great example because it's just Bulma, Krillin, and Gohan for a really long time until Goku arrives, with the addition of Vegeta and Piccolo. And while the 21st TB re-introduces nearly every character before it, in the first half it's only Goku, Krillin and Roshi.

This is one of the main reasons why Broly succeeds over the two films before it, because rather than try and throw in every single character out of obligation (which only BoG can get away with due to the birthday party setting), it spends almost all of its attention past the prologue on Broly and who he is, and all the other characters like Oran, Cheelai, and even Frieza, Goku and Vegeta are there to service his storyline. Piccolo is only there to teach fusion and Goten and Trunks have a brief cameo to say the Dragon Balls were stolen, as it should be.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:15 pm

The part where Freeza immediately kills the henchman Oren with the eye beams after reporting to have eliminated the remaining Namkeian in the one village is a scene i like, it shows just how ruthless and sadistic he is in disposing of underlings who do things which displease him.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:12 am

Ah yes, Kai episode 26, home of one of the more egregiously sloppy re-draws. This one is easily in my top 5 for worst re-draws in Kai.

Look at it, it's just so off. The background looks like it's really out of focus, and Zarbon looks like he's just done with everything. As if he's also aware of what we just saw and is ashamed too. :lol:

What makes it stranger that it's just this one shot, a few seconds later it goes back to the usual presentation you get with Kai. And I can not for the life of me think of any reason why that shot in particular would have to be redrawn. It's like Toei wanted to be cheap, but also waste money at the same time. It's just bizarre.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:27 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:12 am Ah yes, Kai episode 26, home of one of the more egregiously sloppy re-draws. This one is easily in my top 5 for worst re-draws in Kai.

Look at it, it's just so off. The background looks like it's really out of focus, and Zarbon looks like he's just done with everything. As if he's also aware of what we just saw and is ashamed too. :lol:

What makes it stranger that it's just this one shot, a few seconds later it goes back to the usual presentation you get with Kai. And I can not for the life of me think of any reason why that shot in particular would have to be redrawn. It's like Toei wanted to be cheap, but also waste money at the same time. It's just bizarre.
It seems at times there was no rhyme or reason for what frames were and weren't redrawn for Kai, and some of them i could actually understand given that apparently the equivalent original shots from Z on the film prints when Toei and Q-TEC were scanning them in for the remaster didn't look too hot or there were changes that needed to be made for certain scenes (Goku and Vegeta's beam clash.etc) to conform to post Pokemon Shock guidelines effects wise. Then there's the shots like this here which really make me scratch my head and think "WTF...just why???" and it seems for every good redraw there's a dozen or so absolute garbage ones which often makes no sense and just feel so random.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:17 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:27 am It seems at times there was no rhyme or reason for what frames were and weren't redrawn for Kai, and some of them i could actually understand given that apparently the equivalent original shots from Z on the film prints when Toei and Q-TEC were scanning them in for the remaster didn't look too hot or there were changes that needed to be made for certain scenes (Goku and Vegeta's beam clash.etc) to conform to post Pokemon Shock guidelines effects wise. Then there's the shots like this here which really make me scratch my head and think "WTF...just why???" and it seems for every good redraw there's a dozen or so absolute garbage ones which often makes no sense and just feel so random.
There were usually two reasons for a shot to be redrawn in Kai:
  1. Some censorship or other visual change needed to be made. For example, the hole in Goku at the end of the Raditz fight, or fixing a colouring error.
  2. Continuity: sometimes a shot may be influenced by a filler scene that's been removed, so things need to be adjusted.
  3. Much more commonly, redrawing a shot to extend/recompose it for the widesceen broadcast. Remember, 16:9 is required for broadcast in Japan, and many shots just don't work anymore when cropped to 16:9.
Unfortunately, for 4:3 Kai took the approach of simply using the redrawn shots rather than restoring the original ones. For The Final Chapters they used no redrawn shots, but this came at the expense of 16:9 even on the Blu-Ray.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:06 pm

I've added trivia!

Sorry it was so late. KBABZ and I were busy, and then I forgot, and then I was really busy... But it's up now.

It's in the OP already, but I'll put it here too:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:30 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:42 pm It can't be emphasized enough how good the writing is in this arc. I really love the 3 man race Toriyama has going on between Freeza, Vegeta, & the earthlings. Seeing each team trying to get the upper hand and avoid the other never gets old, no matter how many times I see it. I also like how no one's safe for too long, as no matter how far ahead one gets, something manages to push them back in line. This arc is a great example of there being more to DB than screaming and punching. Between this arc and the Saiyan arc, Toriyama was really top of his game during this period of the story. I think it's safe to say these 2 arcs are among what inspired so many mangaka to be influenced by DB.
Exactly. It's like a 3-way game of chess. It's frantic and chaotic, but at the same time it still manages to be methodical. And in this case where the story could've swung in any direction at any time, I think it played well to Toriyama's off the cuff style.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:54 am

Well with my laughs at Kai's redraws out of the way, I guess i'll throw in my two cents on this weeks set of episodes.

I know it's clear as day, but Vegeta here really is stealing the show. This is probably the most witty and cunning we'll ever get to see him since at this point he has no real allegiance with anyone, he's a loose cannon with nothing to lose, and the only thing he has to be afraid of is facing Frieza head-on. So it's kind of like seeing Vegeta in his purest form, when he has absolutely nobody telling him what to do. Later on Goku's presence and his relationship with Bulma would basically act as the two walls stopping him from pulling anymore evil stunts.

Also, compared to other filler like Fake Namek or Bulma's giant crab escapades, I actually dont mind the filler episodes following Goku on his journey to Namek. Especially with so much happening in each episode, these act like a breather episode, something that's simple, fun, and let's you sit back and process how the main story is developing. I am primarily watching Kai, but for the more notable filler i'll switch over to Z to see it again.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 am

Vegeta being taken down by Zarbon and then his subsequent revenge is probably the first best showcase of “Saiyans getting stronger after near fatal injuries”.

Retroactively, we can assume Goku got a boost from nearly being killed by Tao Pai Pai and the Super God Water but those were before Toriyama had the concept of Saiyan biology in mind. We’re told Kiwi was Vegeta’s equal before he fought the Z warriors on earth and that Dodoria was stronger but we never saw that. Here we saw Zarbon in his Beast form take Vegeta down without much trouble and then Vegeta dispatch him with ease after recovering.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Vegeta's one sided beatdown of Zarbon is awesome. It's brutal and quick. These quick fights that last an episode are more intense and compelling than a number of the later fights that span episodes

Vegeta is at his cleverest when acknowledges his shortcomings. When he deludes himself into thinking he's stronger, that's when he makes dumb mistakes.

A big part of the reason this part of the plot works is it's not dependent on battle powers, by and large. In order to achieve their goals, each side needs every Dragon Ball, so not only does it allow for more reversals, it also more easily allows each side to stop the other one from achieving their goals by finding and keeping away part of the puzzle and they only need one piece.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:54 pm

The realization that Vegeta takes out every single one of Freeza's forces (Cui, Dodoria, Zarbon, the entire Ginyu Force (even if Goku knocked out two of them before he got the kill), and even Ginyu if you count Super, is pretty funny.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:02 pm

As others have said, these episodes show that DBZ isn't all just mindless screaming and punching, there's also a lot of scheming and uneasy alliances. I love how Vegeta makes mincemeat out of the Ginyu Force.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:24 pm

I don't know why a story should have to apologize for being about punchy-punchy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:41 pm

I wish Vegeta kept a bit of his Namek self, even after becoming one of the good guys.