goku never kissed chichi makes sense and consistent with the story

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Froggy

goku never kissed chichi makes sense and consistent with the story

Post by Froggy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:58 pm

i read dragon ball manga chapter 171 "anonymous proposal" (goku proposed to chichi),
chichi: "you promised me you'd take me as your wife!!"
goku: "i told you! i told you i'd take you as my wife"
goku thinking: "but i thought it was some kind of food. ah well, screw that... i promised"

so thats basically what happened. goku promised but he didnt know what he promised. his marriage "proposal" was basically 'whatever, lets do this'.
also toriyama said goku sees chichi as more of part of the gang than an actual partner.
I'm guessing he kissed her but nothing really sensual.

i believe goku slept with chichi to procreate and before he 'went to war' (before the cell games)

precita
Banned

Re: goku never kissed chichi makes sense and consistent with the story

Post by precita » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:49 pm

They've been married for 35-40 years. It's unbelieveable Chi Chi never kissed Goku in all that time even if Goku didn't know what kissing is. Let alone having two kids together.

Froggy

Post by Froggy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:39 pm

goku is a fighter and chichi is a mother. thats pretty much it in that dysfunctional family.
there is no reason for goku, a person who almost never see anyone but himself and the sparring partner (if there is one) to know what kissing is.

* they have been married for about 20-25 years. if i remember correctly, they married when goku was 18 and goku now is late 30s/early 40s (including the 7 years he was dead)..

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:09 pm

Chi Chi is still human, to believe she never attempted to kiss Goku in all this time is very odd. Especially when she kisses him on the cheek in the tournament. I think people forget how madly in love Chi Chi was with Goku when she was young, because we always think of her angry mother personality from DBZ.

There's a reason Chi Chi got impregnated almost immediately after Dragonball ended.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:02 am

It does makes sense and is consistent with how bad Super's overall writing is.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:20 am

I think the joke is that Vegeta just misunderstood what Goku meant. He meant feeding the Senzu mouth to mouth like that and Vegeta interpreted it as kissing.

But I don’t think it’s actually shown in the original manga Goku ever kissed ChiChi (in the anime there are kissing scenes) so I guess you can take the joke however you want.

It’s one of those debates I am tired of hearing about though.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Vegeta refer the passing of the senzu mouth to mouth as "like kissing".
Goku tell that he wasnt' aware that THIS was "kissing" and never did with Chi Chi.
So, probably Goku believed that so far did bad kisses by not passing something mouth to mouth to Chi Chi.

Done.

Goku actually knows what a kiss is, he already quoted at least twice referring to Bulma.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:12 pm

regardless, goku is a shitty lover and its a miracle the guy is still married lmao
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:43 pm

Yeah even if he didn't have the inclination to kiss the fact that Chichi never laid one on him, then having to explain what that was to a confused Goku... or it being in "Bob and Margret" that Roshi had him read, or seeing random people kiss in public... or watching any movie.... He should know and should have done it.

It's word of god but I still like to pretend it's confusion of the bean passing or better yet Goku just messing with Vegeta.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:29 pm

People will jump through all kinds of hoops to justify that Goku isn't actually talking about kissing, but he is. It's a straightforward joke. If Goku actually thought kissing was putting something in someone's mouth, that misunderstanding would've been further emphasized or later clarified. Maybe it's slightly more ambiguous in the anime, but in the manga, it's quite clear.

As a reader, you're meant to read that joke and go "What the heck is wrong with Goku and Chichi's marriage? They have two kids but they never kissed??" That's why it's funny. They're two weirdo isolated hicks who got married because Goku misunderstood what it meant. Goku wasn't present for the birth of both children, and possibly never even saw Chichi pregnant. Perhaps some find this offensive or ridiculous, but this is largely a gag manga, and Toriyama clearly finds Goku's unusual familial relationships humorous.

If you're dissatisfied with it, you can at least take comfort in the fact that Bulma and Vegeta have kissed.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:10 am

Froggy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:58 pm i read dragon ball manga chapter 171 "anonymous proposal" (goku proposed to chichi),
chichi: "you promised me you'd take me as your wife!!"
goku: "i told you! i told you i'd take you as my wife"
goku thinking: "but i thought it was some kind of food. ah well, screw that... i promised"

so thats basically what happened. goku promised but he didnt know what he promised. his marriage "proposal" was basically 'whatever, lets do this'.
also toriyama said goku sees chichi as more of part of the gang than an actual partner.
I'm guessing he kissed her but nothing really sensual.

i believe goku slept with chichi to procreate and before he 'went to war' (before the cell games)
I remember he even knew what that was ...
In other words, it is easily understandable that Goku married Chichi because he is a man who keeps his promises what is disappointing is that their relationship does not evolve ... but annyway those who are upset with this are basically those who complain that now Goku is an idiot. and those who saw filler scenes in Z

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:48 am

I mean at the end of the day, Chi-Chi's a dumbass, slackjawed yokel whose concept of love and marriage comes from reading magazines, decided to marry Goku after meeting him once because he patted her hoo-haw while trying to deduce her gender, Goku promised to do it having no idea what marriage was, and then she held him to that promise for 6 years. And Goku went along with it because he's a stupidly earnest motherfucker. They're not exactly a model relationship.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:59 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:48 am I mean at the end of the day, Chi-Chi's a dumbass, slackjawed yokel whose concept of love and marriage comes from reading magazines, decided to marry Goku after meeting him once because he patted her hoo-haw while trying to deduce her gender, Goku promised to do it having no idea what marriage was, and then she held him to that promise for 6 years. And Goku went along with it because he's a stupidly earnest motherfucker. They're not exactly a model relationship.
I mean....facts.

At the end of the day it’s a joke, like we’re not suppose to think about the ramifications that Goku probably can’t reasonably consent to having done the deed to produce two sons. If we apply their relationship to any sort of realistic standards it’s pretty yikes.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:53 pm

No matter how much you try, you guys will never make this a thing. As a joke, fine ... I guess. But its not even that funny. If they can instinctively figure out the intimacy of sex, kissing is naturally the prelude and easiest way of expressing such intimacy. It stands to reason that Chi-chi would at least engage and urge Goku to kiss her at some point. And Chi-chi herself isn't so far removed from society that she wouldn't know what kissing is. If she was, she'd have no desire to make Gohan a scholar or go shopping or get money.

It was, in the end, a bad idea to add this to the anime. It just makes Goku more unlikeable.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 pm

The only way the kissing thing could make sense is if we assume that kissing is taboo with the Ox-King. It’s a huge stretch to assume that Chi-Chi managed to talk Goku into having sex with her at least twice, but that she never once bothered explaining to him what kissing is.

I get what the purpose of the joke is. It’s supposed to tell us that despite being a married man who has two kids, Goku is ultimately still a naive child at heart. The problem is that the joke just comes across as forced. It’s not funny or clever.

To be clear, I don’t care for Goku and Chi-Chi as a couple. It’s always been apparent that they have a pretty dysfunctional marriage. That doesn’t mean I can’t roll my eyes at the idea that Goku is so oblivious that he doesn’t know about something which he logically should know about.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:31 am

There's no justifying it logically why Goku and Chichi would have never kissed in all the decades they've been married, especially considering that Chichi is something of a romantic person. It's a dumb joke for sure, taken to its logical conclusion it's nonsensical when you think about their children being conceived, but at the same time, for me, it's pretty easy to just pretend it didn't happen and move on.

It's not as glaringly bad as the 28 planets thing for example.