Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 48 - DBZ movie 3

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 48 - DBZ movie 3

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 48 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encourage you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you have never done so before, but watch along in whichever way brings you the most joy.

KBABZ is busy this week, so the trivia is all me this time!... Which is why it's not as good as usual. :P

DBZ movie 3... To be honest, I think this one is pretty terrible. If it wasn't for my attachment to the two Ocean dubs of this movie, and my opinion that the Big Green dub of it is an utter masterpiece, then I would say the movie holds no value whatsoever beyond the expected nice animation and music.
On the plus side, the excellent Z TV special 1 is in two weeks, and if you ask me, these movies and specials do well to break up the poor pacing of the original anime Namek arc, which is part of why I placed them exactly where I did in the viewing.
On that note, while Z movie 4 will also be on its own, in week 53, I'm currently planning on putting Z movie 5 alongside three episodes of the series in week 60. It's only 50 minutes long, so it kinda makes sense that it's only really two episodes of runtime.
If anyone has any objections to this, do say so.

Previous thread: Week 47 (DBZ 53-57)
Next thread: Week 49 (DBZ 58-62)

Anyway, without further ado...
Dragon Ball Z
A Super Decisive Battle for Earth

Dub title: Tree of Might
Originally released 7th of July 1990

Edited dub equivalent: Episodes 46-48: The Tree of Might (original syndicated version only)
Director: Daisuke Nishio
Animation supervisor: Minoru Maeda
Written by: Takao Koyama

The Dragon Team are enjoying a period of peace, however this is interrupted by the arrival of the mysterious Tullece and his forces, who plant the Tree of Godly Might on planet earth, leading Kaio to summon the gang to fight off the threat of Tullece.

Interesting trivia:
  • This film first premiered as part of the 1990 "Toei Anime Fair" on the 7th of July 1990, entitled "Akira Toriyama: The World"
  • At the time this movie debuted, the manga was up to Goku punching Jheese in the face, then kicking both his and Butta's asses, while Vegeta, Kuririn, and Gohan look on in awe of Goku's power.
  • Tullece, continuing the tradition of Saiyans being named after vegetables, is a pun/rearrangement of lettuce (which was handily screwed up by Funimation to make "Turles"). One of his minions is named Raisin (except with an elongated first vowel), his counterpart, Rakasei, is a pun on the Japanese word for peanut (roughly "Rakkasei"), another of his minions is named Cacao, another is Daiizu, a pun on the Japanese word for soybean ("Daizu"), and one is named Amond after almond.
  • Gohan's pet dragon is either named Higher Dragon, Hire Dragon, or Haiya Dragon, depending on who you ask. To my recollection, all three are equally valid. (There is also Funi's own invented name, Icarus, which is entirely invalid, and also really dumb)
  • As with the last movie, this one is a full hour in length. Aside from Broly 1 at 75 minutes and the 10th anniversary movie at 80 minutes, all the subsequent movies would fall into the 45-52-minute range established prior to Z movie 2. (In a previous trivia entry, I incorrectly stated that these movies generally fit into the 50-60-minute range. Oops!)
  • Also as with the last movie, this one is impossible to sensibly place into the timeline of the original anime and manga. Even Daizenshuu 6 gave up and simply said "this is a movie-only story."
  • While the last two movies each had an insert song, this movie does not. The next one does, however it's the last one to have one. (Until 2013's Battle Of Gods, that is)
  • This movie is the origin of the infamous "Let that child alone!" scene, from the Big Green dub. I had a French friend of mine look at this scene in the French dub, and it seems that if Big Green had properly adapted the French scripts to English, then Piccolo would have said "Let that child be!", Tullece would have said "I take orders from no one!", and Piccolo's response to that would be "Really!" If nothing else, this does confirm that, for this scene at least, Big Green adapted their scripts (very poorly) from the French dub.
  • For unknown reasons, this movie was cut up into three 20-minute episodes and aired as a part of the syndication run of season 2 of the original edited dub in 1997. There was no particular signifier that it was a special presentation of any kind other than all three episodes using the same title card, so for anyone watching in syndication in 1997, it was quite the bizarre diversion from the Namek storyline.
  • Fitting with the general pattern seen in season 2 as a whole, almost no edits or cuts were made; a very short scene during Goku and Tullece's battle was cut (where Tullece stands over Goku, his foot on his face, and they have a little talk), but the other changes were actually additions. Footage was edited and more dialogue was added to slightly pad out certain scenes; chiefly, the sequence of Gohan and Kuririn putting out the fire was slightly extended, shots from Dragon Ball were reused to extend Shen Long's summoning (some other edits were made to aid this, such as running footage backwards and forwards to make it look like Hire Dragon hesitates before flying up after Shen Long), and shots from the Z series were used to extend Kaio's shock before he telepathically talks to Goku; while in the original movie, he simply senses the tree has been planted and says "Oh no!", the edited dub has him have a little conversation with Bubbles and Gregory about how horrible this turn of events is, and how he'll have to call on "Earth's special forces." In addition to these edits, the OP and ED were replaced, the original syndicated version had recaps/previews created for the three episodes (most later reairings, such as on Toonami, would have the series and Tree Of Might separated, and thus these recaps/previews were not shown), and there were some paint edits (most infamously of these is the redrawn Gohan head), including stars painted over moments of attacks connecting, blood removal, etc., and of course the scripts were highly inaccurate... But for the most part, no content was really cut.
  • The Ocean cast dubbed Z movie 3 a second time in 1997/1998, uncut for home video. This dub is excellent. It also features Peter Kelamis in the role of Goku, taking over from Ian Corlett, who played the role in the TV version. One interesting difference between the two versions is that the TV version, still under the influence of Barry Watson, had the Kaioken pronounced incorrectly (as "Kayoken"), whereas the home video version has it correctly prononuced. Similarly, Gohan's pet dragon is correctly named Hire Dragon. The TV dub, meanwhile, introduced the made-up name of "Icarus".
  • On that note, the TV version of this movie is the last work Ian Corlett did as Son Goku.
  • Speaking of the handover from Corlett to Kelamis, Ocean's third Goku, Kirby Morrow, unfortunately passed away this past week. The best way we can pay tribute to him and to his family is to enjoy the work he did, and to endeavour to be as nice a guy as he was. RIP, Kirby. You were always my Goku.
  • The "Big Green" dub of Tree of Might, which aired on Toonami UK in 2005, has Tullece directly refer to Goku as his brother. This caused confusion for a long time with American fans where Tullece does not do this. Turns out "English Dub" is far too broad a term!
  • When Funimation decided to redub the first three Z movies with their in-house cast, for some reason they completely ignored the uncut script used by the Ocean cast the second time around (unlike Z movies 1 and 2, where Funimation basically took the uncut scripts the Ocean cast used in 1997/1998 and did a typical Funimation round of "Punch up" changes; adding jokes, etc.). Their script has a lot of similarities to the TV version of Tree of Might, but most of the dialogue is quite heavily reworded -- and not for the better. The accuracy of their script is arguably worse than the TV version, as I recall.
  • The only explanation given for Tullece and Goku being doppelgangers is that they're both low-class warriors. Ultimately, Toei really didn't do anything with the doppelganger aspect of this movie, so it's no surprise this is a well they would return to in Super. (Well, allegedly Toriyama wrote the Black arc, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Toei asked him to do a doppelganger story and that's what he came up with)
  • This movie has a handful of animation errors visible if you watch the movie in its full 4:3 aspect ratio; early on in the movie, the ground is not fully drawn in one shot when Shen Long grants the wish to restore the forest, and a Masenko from Gohan is cut off before the top of the frame. In addition, in the scene when Piccolo floats down into frame to confront Tullece (the infamous "Let that child alone" scene), his cape doesn't start animating until he's just about within the widescreen framing area. These errors lead me to believe that this movie is the first one where the 4:3 version was considered to be significantly of lesser importance by Toei. Despite this, I still think the framing is generally better on all 17 original movies in 4:3 compared to widescreen. :P
  • Additional trivia available here.
Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide. Additional trivia courtesy of Chris Psaros's DBZ Uncensored guide.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 48 - DBZ movie 3 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:04 pm

Overall this is an ok movie and i like things such as Tullece being effectively a representation of how Goku could've turned out had he not injured himself as a young child, but still it's not the best of the DBZ films...Though the Pioneer dub is by far the way to go if you want to watch in English as the redub by FUNi from 2004/2005 as mentioned above borrows quite heavily from the less accurate script of the edited Saban tv version and is thus a significant downgrade in accuracy from Pioneer's. As with the previous two films, the latter is such a faithful and carefully produced product that still holds up well even over 20 years later.

Big Green is funny in it's own right as everyone knows in taking from badly translated scripts from the French dubs, but the Speedy dub is such levels of pure mangled, trainwreck badness that i can't get enough of. There's just something i find hilarious about a bunch of video store or whoever people in Malaysia or Singapore with a very poor comprehension of the English language doing a (bootleg on VCD) anime film dub. Like really...why not just dub it in their own language instead of something so butchered and incomprehensible that you almost can't make out what they're saying half the time?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxKCsRJ7mCE&t=2246s
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:36 pm

I'm always going to be a little bias towards this movie. It was my first time watching anything Dragon Ball related in its entirety. I originally saw it during the Toonami broadcast back when it was split up into three parts like the previous two films, though oddly enough they always broadcast this one first. But it also holds significance as it was the first time I had purchased an anime on VHS subtitled! I did so by accident and was originally annoyed because I wanted to hear them curse in English (This was the Ocean Dub at the time.) but ultimately I grew to much prefer the Japanese version given that all of the clips I had seen of DB up to that point, prior to seeing the broadcast, were in Japanese anyway.

I'm always going to have a soft spot for this film and I'll gladly rewatch it anytime!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 am

FUNimation’s in-house dub of this movie is pretty wonky. The best explanation I can come up with for why they used the TV dub’s script as the basis is that they wanted to try and set it apart from the Pioneer version.

Anyway, as I believe I said in the Movie 2 thread, out of the first three DBZ movies, this one is probably the weakest. The fight scenes aren’t as dynamic as the prior two movies, and there aren’t really any unique or interesting locations. Tullece works well enough as an evil version of Goku, the movie doesn’t tell us anything about him or his henchmen beyond that. I know that there’s supplementary material that expands on these guys, but none of it is in the actual movie.

I will give this movie props for trying to tell more of an actual story than most of the other DBZ movies, but unfortunately, the subplot with Gohan and Hire Dragon doesn’t really do much to advance the plot, and we don’t even see it getting resolved. The scenes of Chi-Chi scolding Gohan in this movie also come across as derivative, since Movie 2 already did that. I also think the movie overdoes it with the establishing shots of the Earth being affected by the tree.

The big draw of this movie for me has always been getting to see most of the Dragon Team together, but everyone outside of Goku is pretty useless here, so that makes the whole thing feel more like window dressing. I think they could’ve let the other characters defeat at least a couple of the minions.

Still, I wouldn’t call this movie bad. It’s just not one of my favorites.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:21 am

Still quite busy with IGN guide work, but I thought I'd share a fun anecdote: when I was at Weta, I was talking with a pair of fellow Dragon Ball fans (just as likely to shout Rock the Dragon as they were Head Cha La, they were awesome) and I pointed out that the Rock the Dragon intro used barely any footage from the anime. I got a disbelieving "Really??" and then I said "Well yeah, point to me where they summon Shenron in a field of dead trees?" "...oh my god you're right!"

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:24 am

This was much better than I had remembered, a pleasant surprise! The action in this one was indeed teriffic, so I stand corrected. Good use of the entire Z-Senshi.

This is some of Kikuchi's best work in the series. The score here is powerful and instantly memorable. Although, in the old days I would always associate these tracks with the Bardock special. I think it works even better in this film.

The ending theme "Marugoto" was dope.

Masako Nozawa does a good job as Tullece. I believe the evil out her mouth. Interesting that none of the English voice actors for Goku voiced Turles. I have to wonder what Peter Kelamis would have brought to the role.

I like the concept of the Shinseiju and enjoyed all of the visuals of the Earth getting wrecked by the tree. I have to say though, it's hard to watch the Shinseiju now and not think of the Shinju from Naruto lol.

I love the climax with the Genki Dama and everyone fighting. The final showdown between Goku and Tullece is awesome. Even the Saban version with its added dialogue is still an awesome memory.

Coincidentally, this film happens to be a perfect fit for Thanksgiving. The themes and imagery align with the holiday really well in my view.

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:53 pm Gohan's pet dragon is either named Higher Dragon, Hire Dragon, or Haiya Dragon, depending on who you ask. To my recollection, all three are equally valid.
Haiyaa is the Japanese approximation of the English word "hire". In Japan a Haiyā/Hire is a chauffeured car service like a limousine. Hire Dragon is based on Taxi Dragon from Dr. Slump.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:31 am

DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:42 am

Hire Dragon was named Icarus in the Funi/Saban/Ocean tv dub Chris Psaros even noted his displeasure with that name in his comparison.

It’s actually kind of weird he got to keep his Japanese name in the Pioneer version, despite those dubs being significantly more faithful than what Funimation was producing they still stuck by the Funimation chosen names for the most part even referring to the Tenkaichi. Budokai as “The World’s Martial Arts tournament” in Dead Zone even though, I think, that name had only been uttered all of once in the tv series dub at that point.

The movie itself is okay. It drags a bit in the second half. I’d put it behind Z movie 1 and 2 and DB movie 2 and maybe on par with DB movie 1 and 3. This is the most action Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Yamucha will get in the Z movies so that’s neat for them.

Telluce like the movie he spawned from is just okay. I think most would agree that “Evil Goku” was done significantly better in Super with Goku Black. Telluce just happens to look and sound like Goku because....reasons. Personally I just think he was a bastard of Bardock.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:03 am

Tullece is an interesting villain and I found the scenes with Gohan and Icarus(which I honestly think is a better name, Higher Dragon just sounds plain weird and nonsensical) pretty amusing, though I think Yamcha and Tenshin definitely got short-changed in terms of fighting here as they get defeated off-screen a bit too easily for my liking and I would've preferred the film be extended by a few minutes to expand more on them.

I think the ultimate uncut version is decent if a bit redundant.
KBABZ wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:21 am Still quite busy with IGN guide work, but I thought I'd share a fun anecdote: when I was at Weta, I was talking with a pair of fellow Dragon Ball fans (just as likely to shout Rock the Dragon as they were Head Cha La, they were awesome) and I pointed out that the Rock the Dragon intro used barely any footage from the anime. I got a disbelieving "Really??" and then I said "Well yeah, point to me where they summon Shenron in a field of dead trees?" "...oh my god you're right!"
As a kid I remember wondering where the hell any of that footage in the intro came from and it wasn't until Cartoon Network aired those first three movies that i finally got my answer.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:58 am

The very first "evil Goku". This movie was released exactly one month before Ginyu took over Goku's body, so I wonder if the writers at Toei knew about this ahead of time and got the idea of an "evil Goku" from it. I might be looking too much into it and it could just be pure coincidence.

I think this is the first and only movie until Bojack unbound to include Tien, so it was nice seeing him take part in the fighting with everyone else. I also liked Tullece's combat style here, as it is one my favorites in the games. The ending song was great as always. If there's one good thing these 13 movies have in common, even Bio Broly, it's the ending songs. Overall I give this movie a B.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:28 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:58 am The very first "evil Goku". This movie was released exactly one month before Ginyu took over Goku's body, so I wonder if the writers at Toei knew about this ahead of time and got the idea of an "evil Goku" from it. I might be looking too much into it and it could just be pure coincidence.

The “bad guy and good guy switch bodies” trope and “the evil twin” trope are two completely separate but incredibly common tropes in fiction. I doubt Ginyu in Goku’s body had any influence on Tullece.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:55 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:28 amThe “bad guy and good guy switch bodies” trope and “the evil twin” trope are two completely separate but incredibly common tropes in fiction. I doubt Ginyu in Goku’s body had any influence on Tullece.
The reason I brought it up is because of the timing, as there's only a month between the 2 events. I'm not saying one copied the other for sure, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:57 am

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:03 am Icarus (which I honestly think is a better name, Higher Dragon just sounds plain weird and nonsensical)
MyVisionity explained the joke/pun with Hire Dragon and it’s just one of those things that doesn’t carry over into western culture.

Icarus isn’t really the best name, considering what happened to the mythological character. I guess it’s cute that it implies Gohan reads Greek Mythology in his spare time but why name your flying pet after a character who died flying to close to the sun ?
I think the ultimate uncut version is decent if a bit redundant.
Lol this is the third Tree of Might dub that Funimation was involved with. The real question is why use the script for the edited Saban approved tv version instead of the Ocean/Pioneer version that was already uncut. We know they had access to the Pioneer scripts per Dead Zone and World Strongest.
As a kid I remember wondering where the hell any of that footage in the intro came from and it wasn't until Cartoon Network aired those first three movies that i finally got my answer.
Hey now we get like a second of actual tv footage with the shot of Nappa tearing through the plane :) XD

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:06 am

The funniest thing about the Big Green dub of this movie? John Wayne Piccolo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGwd26UMcQA
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:10 pm

The voices in the Big Green dub are pretty crazy.

I think my favourite is Tullece, though. The actor hams it up like crazy! It's such a bizarre performance.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:42 am Hire Dragon was named Icarus in the Funi/Saban/Ocean tv dub Chris Psaros even noted his displeasure with that name in his comparison.
Ah. My bad.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:42 am Telluce like the movie he spawned from is just okay. I think most would agree that “Evil Goku” was done significantly better in Super with Goku Black. Telluce just happens to look and sound like Goku because....reasons. Personally I just think he was a bastard of Bardock.
I disagree -- I would argue Tullece and Goku Black suffer from the same problem; they look like Goku, and they're evil, but they're not Goku, and the fact they look the same is mostly just used for the face value of "look! an evil Goku!" and getting an evil performance out of Nozawa, with no real point greater than that.

Super's "Evil Goku" thing is, really, just a disguise for Zamasu. The only utility of him using Goku's body is that Goku's strong, and the one early scene where Trunks briefly tries to fight Goku before he realises this man isn't Black. (Yes, different scene, but I couldn't resist the reference to Funi's weirdest scripting choice in recent years :P)
To be honest, in general, the Black arc is, to me, just an excuse to have a Goku doppelganger and the return of Future Trunks. They contrived reasons for this to happen, and executed it in the most basic way.

But, just like this movie, Super fails to actually do anything with a Goku doppelganger (and it also fails to really do much with Trunks too, to be honest. He goes through some shit, learns nothing, then returns to his world having suffered just a little more). Do either actually dig into the idea of "What if Goku hadn't been raised right?" Or nature vs nurture? Or any of the other themes or ideas you could explore by introducing an evil counterpart to someone?... No. Both shallowly invoked the trope, basically "Just because", and while this is far from the only reason, it's part of why both are such poor, shallow stories. Plenty of style in both, sure, but zero substance in either.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:43 pm

What constitutes "exploring" that theme?

I think the action is ultimately what carries this film. I'm glad rest of the cast is used in the movie but I'm torn, while I would've liked one of them to get a victory over a member of the Tullece Corp, Goku taking down an arrogant group of lackeys is one of the most badass DB moments ever.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:29 pm

Style over substance is exactly how I would describe the DB/Z movies. That's how they were intended to be. It's not supposed to be like in the tv series.

Tullece as Goku's evil twin doesn't need any additional exploration because it mostly speaks for itself. The characters make mention of Goku's accident changing his fate and his and Gohan's natures being different from Saiyans. It's not even part of the main plot until after half way into the film.

I suppose if they truly wanted to do an "evil Goku" story, it would be somewhat deeper and be made the central plot, but that's not what they were going for.

Anyway, I think this is a powerful film and my appreciation of it has definitely grown in this rewatch. It's become a holiday movie in my eyes.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:57 pm

Decently popular reviewer Phelous actually did a video looking at all the different English dubs for Tree of Might some time ago. Pretty funny video, worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0P9EoZ-ZA
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:17 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:04 pm
Big Green is funny in it's own right as everyone knows in taking from badly translated scripts from the French dubs, but the Speedy dub is such levels of pure mangled, trainwreck badness that i can't get enough of. There's just something i find hilarious about a bunch of video store or whoever people in Malaysia or Singapore with a very poor comprehension of the English language doing a (bootleg on VCD) anime film dub. Like really...why not just dub it in their own language instead of something so butchered and incomprehensible that you almost can't make out what they're saying half the time?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxKCsRJ7mCE&t=2246s
Speedy dub is like taking DBZ but Google translating it into five different languages, translating it back into English, and putting it on a script. Atleast with Big Green it's nonsense is comprehensible. :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm

Two pieces of Trivia I think Robo should include:
  • The UK dub of Tree of Might has Tullece directly refer to Goku as his brother. This caused confusion for a long time with American fans where Tullece does not do this. Turns out "English Dub" is far too broad a term!
  • Tullece's name is a pun on the lettuce vegetable, keeping the Saiyan name theme. How to convey this in English has changed over time: a popular name was Turles, however Tullece has recently been adopted by Kanzenshuu as it more effectively conveys what the pun is (compare Burter to Butta, as another example).