Is there any reason why the Moro arc hasn't gotten any merchandise yet?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Is there any reason why the Moro arc hasn't gotten any merchandise yet?

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:23 pm

At first I thought they were simply waiting for it to end, but then I remember SDBH spoilng a lot of the Tournament of Power arc, even the ending.

I've asked everywhere, and the one answer I get is that they're just holding it until the anime covers it, but it's nearly been 3 years since the anime got put in stasis and I find it hard to believe they'll keep us waiting another year.

Are they legally obligated to wait until the anime covers Moro or is this just a business decision?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Is there any reason why the Moro arc hasn't gotten any merchandise yet?

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:40 pm

I doubt there's anything legally in the way. I think it's just that that they think that stuff won't be as profitable right now, since it's only in the manga. Fans who only watch the anime probably aren't too familiar with Moro and related characters.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:46 pm

They're probably waiting for it to be animated, as despite SsjG Vegeta showing up in the manga, he didn't get any merchandise until Broly.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:57 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:40 pm Fans who only watch the anime probably aren't too familiar with Moro and related characters.
Do anime-onlys really make that much of a profit? The anime has been gone for over 2 years.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:23 pm

I might be wrong but I think that manga-only content is not merchandised. For example, I don't think there's any merchandise of Super Saiyan Goku Black (correct me if I'm wrong), as that form appears only in the manga.

So the answer is probably just "they are waiting for the anime to cover the Moro arc".

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:29 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:23 pm I might be wrong but I think that manga-only content is not merchandised. For example, I don't think there's any merchandise of Super Saiyan Goku Black (correct me if I'm wrong), as that form appears only in the manga.

So the answer is probably just "they are waiting for the anime to cover the Moro arc".
There's this this and a couple of attacks on Dokkan and Heroes.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:35 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:23 pmI don't think there's any merchandise of Super Saiyan Goku Black .
There isn't, he didn't even make it into any game which would basically be given him Goku's ssj hair. I really like his ssj design so hopefully that changes in the future.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:36 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:57 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:40 pm Fans who only watch the anime probably aren't too familiar with Moro and related characters.
Do anime-onlys really make that much of a profit? The anime has been gone for over 2 years.

An animated product, be it a movie be or a series, has a much bigger promotional footprint worldwide than the manga.
It makes sense for them to base the merchandise on the animated designs.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:37 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:29 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:23 pm I might be wrong but I think that manga-only content is not merchandised. For example, I don't think there's any merchandise of Super Saiyan Goku Black (correct me if I'm wrong), as that form appears only in the manga.

Huh? That's a statue of Kefla (who goes Super Saiyan in both mediums), I'm talking about Super Saiyan Black.

Regardless, at the bottom of that page I saw promo for two statues of Fused Zamasu, and coincidentally both those statues depict anime attacks (the Halo of Light and then the Lightning of Absolution).

See, I told you, I think they are just waiting for the arc to be animated, as most merchandise is based on the anime.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:45 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Huh? That's a statue of Kefla (who goes Super Saiyan in both mediums), I'm talking about Super Saiyan Black.
Yeah, but that pose she makes is from the manga. Chapter 38.

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:36 pm An animated product, be it a movie be or a series, has a much bigger promotional footprint worldwide than the manga.
It makes sense for them to base the merchandise on the animated designs.
There isn't any anime for them to work with, and It's not like they're unable to add whatever the anime does different when it comes back. Instead of waiting another year or two, why not add things now and then use DLC to bring in any forms or techniques the anime decides to create?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:55 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:35 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:23 pmI don't think there's any merchandise of Super Saiyan Goku Black .
There isn't, he didn't even make it into any game which would basically be given him Goku's ssj hair. I really like his ssj design so hopefully that changes in the future.
Oh the design is good (I mean it's Black with yellow hair, you can't go wrong), don't get me wrong, but I don't see any merchandise of him, nor of "Shirtless/Enraged" Fused Zamasu. I can't think of any other manga-exclusive form. Plus as you said they started selling merchandise of God Vegeta only after he appeared in a visual medium.
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:45 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:37 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:29 pm There's this this and a couple of attacks on Dokkan and Heroes.
Yeah, but that pose she makes is from the manga. Chapter 38.
I consider it an outlier then, plus a pose is not nearly as recognizable as an attack or transformation.

I think the aforementioned reasons in this thread are the correct answer. Anime is a much more widespread product, and therefore they are most likely waiting for the anime to cover the Moro arc. I guess that, as hard as it might be to believe for you, this is the answer:

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:20 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:23 pm At first I thought they were simply waiting for it to end, but then I remember SDBH spoilng a lot of the Tournament of Power arc, even the ending.

I've asked everywhere, and the one answer I get is that they're just holding it until the anime covers it, but it's nearly been 3 years since the anime got put in stasis and I find it hard to believe they'll keep us waiting another year.

Are they legally obligated to wait until the anime covers Moro or is this just a business decision?

is easy ... the Manga is not so popular in other countries they are not used to that medium unlike Japan and Korea simply
It is not a series or a movie to promote figures / games to reach the fans ...
Originally the manga super was a commercial medium to reach manga fans, this is a fact since it was announced that way when it started ... in any case it would not make sense to promote the manga in the same way because it does not have the same impact ...
so much so that the manga does not have the freedom to tell the story of broly ... until the movie has arrived more than anything because toei has control of all those media

in related matters the characters in the printed medium have less impact compared to the audio visual medium,
voice acting and character development etc

example

Thanos MCU >>>> Thanos Comic

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:14 pm

There was that series of mini-figurines based on manga-exclusive scenes, I'll see if I can find them. But they are an extreme rarity. One was a small diorama depicting Jiren chopping Roshi's back based on their infamous manga-only fight, and another simply depicting Super Saiyan Rose Goku Black with his beefy manga design and Toyotaro's distinctive "god ki flecks" emanating from his aura, based on the panel where he first showcases the form with that evil expression.

It is kind of a shame that the manga gets blatantly sidelined so much but Toei are more interested in creating a more uniform brand image for Dragon Ball based only on the anime and movies. As controversial as they are, Moro and Merus ought to be too big to gloss over.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Because most people have no idea the Super manga exists. Most people don't even know who Moro is.

This isn't the original Toriyama manga. This is some obscure Super manga only die-hard fans even know about. To most people Super ended with the Tournament of Power and then the Broly movie.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:54 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:57 pmDo anime-onlys really make that much of a profit? The anime has been gone for over 2 years.
It's not that they're biased against the manga or anything. It all just comes down to marketing. To see Moro, you have to buy the manga, or look it up online. To see Ultra Instinct Goku, you just turn on your television, so it's more widely available. They also create merchandise to create hype for the anime, which feeds back into their sales in a self-sustaining loop. People see Jiren in Xenoverse 2, they want to see him in the anime. Seeing the anime makes them more likely to buy Jiren figures and stuff. Manga material doesn't work as effectively that way. You just have to think about what makes them the most money.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:59 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:14 pm There was that series of mini-figurines based on manga-exclusive scenes, I'll see if I can find them. But they are an extreme rarity. One was a small diorama depicting Jiren chopping Roshi's back based on their infamous manga-only fight, and another simply depicting Super Saiyan Rose Goku Black with his beefy manga design and Toyotaro's distinctive "god ki flecks" emanating from his aura, based on the panel where he first showcases the form with that evil expression.

It is kind of a shame that the manga gets blatantly sidelined so much but Toei are more interested in creating a more uniform brand image for Dragon Ball based only on the anime and movies. As controversial as they are, Moro and Merus ought to be too big to gloss over.
You're talking about the RE:Birth Megahouse capsule line. It has 3 Manga Only scene capsule figures and 1 anime one. That being Goku's "ally oop" of Freeza. https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10638169/10/1

I own the line. The Goku Black one is the best

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Manga often doesn’t get merchandise compared to anime so this isn’t really out of the ordinary

There are exceptions but overall this is just how things work.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:42 pm

TheNingen wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:59 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:14 pm There was that series of mini-figurines based on manga-exclusive scenes, I'll see if I can find them. But they are an extreme rarity. One was a small diorama depicting Jiren chopping Roshi's back based on their infamous manga-only fight, and another simply depicting Super Saiyan Rose Goku Black with his beefy manga design and Toyotaro's distinctive "god ki flecks" emanating from his aura, based on the panel where he first showcases the form with that evil expression.

You're talking about the RE:Birth Megahouse capsule line. It has 3 Manga Only scene capsule figures and 1 anime one. That being Goku's "ally oop" of Freeza. https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10638169/10/1

I own the line. The Goku Black one is the best
Ah, there it is. Thanks for the link.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:15 pm

That Kafla there is an unofficial statue. Officially she's only gotten a couple small gashapons.

To answer the OP, it's because the animation is the main product for commercialization.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:55 pm

Kagari wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:15 pm

That Kafla there is an unofficial statue. Officially she's only gotten a couple small gashapons.

To answer the OP, it's because the animation is the main product for commercialization.
My own conclusion is mostly-based off how it is for another series, Bleach. But basically, when manga-only content is distributed in the gacha game Bleach Brave Souls it has to be licensed separately (I.E. characters like the Stern Ritter). I wouldn't be surprised if most Dragon Ball merchandise has some kind of licensing deal with Toei that doesn't generally allow for manga-only content beyond certain pose or moveset references.

I'd argue this is much more likely than not having any merchandise for the latest arc despite its popularity just because it's not the "main product" for merchandise to sell.

Granted it's still just a guess, but it seems overall to be the most likely one, based on the pre-existing evidence with a separate Shueisha property.