"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:19 am

Toyotaro fucked up by not giving SSJ Full Power Broly green hair in the Manga.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:37 am

emperior wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:36 am First of all, it clearly borrows most of the colors from the anime, even though in my opinion Toyotaro and not even Toriyama would have ever gone with that approach.
There's an amusing bit of irony here in that I don't even really see the anime going with this approach if it returns and adapts the arc.

And while I care to the extent of commenting on the color editions themselves, I want to be clear that this isn't much 'caring' from me in the grand scheme. Just felt it was worth clarifying part of why I don't like them. It's pretty sloppy work.
Formerly Marlowe89.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:03 pm

The Undying wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:37 am
emperior wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:36 am First of all, it clearly borrows most of the colors from the anime, even though in my opinion Toyotaro and not even Toriyama would have ever gone with that approach.
There's an amusing bit of irony here in that I don't even really see the anime going with this approach if it returns and adapts the arc.

And while I care to the extent of commenting on the color editions themselves, I want to be clear that this isn't much 'caring' from me in the grand scheme. Just felt it was worth clarifying part of why I don't like them. It's pretty sloppy work.
I agree. I bet that the anime will mostly keep the colours used in Broly’s movie or will at least surely be closer to the ones used in the movie rather than the ones used in the tv show.

And yeah, it’s definitely not the best work they could have done. I especially do not like their decision to use skin highlights. And it’s very sad that they decided to copy the look of the tv show instead of making something different and more unique. For example they could have used Toriyama’s colors or at least the ones used in Full Color DB. Heck, they could have used the more “modern” coloring from Broly’s movie which fans liked so much.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:48 pm

They will definitely keep the hair green. I wouldn't be surprised if they make even more macho, tint his SS also green or add a controlled state

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:50 pm

The Undying wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:29 am
Skar wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:44 am That doesn't really give us an idea of long it'll last but Boruto is intended to go on for around 30 volumes and its sales aren't far behind the DBS manga's.
30 volumes is some good length. Here's to hoping Super gets a similarly decent run, despite this arc being the manga's lowest point thus far in my view.
The Moro arc was about six volumes so that could give us another two arcs or so. I'm not sure if Boruto is going to reach 30 volumes since sales keep dropping each volume and sold less than 100k in their first week after volume 9. In comparison, the DBS manga is still over 100k for each volume's first week so I think it has a better chance of making it that far.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:55 pm

Huh, I'm missing something here. Why wouldn't the hypothetical anime retelling recycle the colours used in the movie? I mean, the movie is still an animated product made by Toei, so...

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:51 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:19 am Toyotaro fucked up by not giving SSJ Full Power Broly green hair in the Manga.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoU76HBU4AA ... name=large

Top left, light green.

p.s. my bad, you guys are correct
Last edited by Gt91 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure Toyotaro isn't in charge of colouring the coloured manga.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:47 pm

Okay, hang on. We do know that Toyotaro doesn't personally colour the manga pages, right? (Genuine question. I'm 99 % sure he's not involved in the process at all, but a source is always better.) I mean, an entire volume gets coloured per month. I don't think he's got that much time to spare in his schedule.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:05 pm

Alruneia wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:47 pm Okay, hang on. We do know that Toyotaro doesn't personally colour the manga pages, right? (Genuine question. I'm 99 % sure he's not involved in the process at all, but a source is always better.) I mean, an entire volume gets coloured per month. I don't think he's got that much time to spare in his schedule.
You are right Toyo is not responsible for the color editions of the manga

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:04 pm

well maybe it's just a simple coincidence ... but someone else thinks there was a connection between toppo and merus they are the only Hakaishin-Angel" rookie" who have no universe

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:43 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:04 pm well maybe it's just a simple coincidence ... but someone else thinks there was a connection between toppo and merus they are the only Hakaishin-Angel" rookie" who have no universe
Not necessarily. Correct me if I’m wrong but Toppo was supposed to be God of Destruction to Replace Belmod in Universe 11 not just for a new universe since Belmod Hand Picked Him.

I look at images like this and ask why we couldn’t have got this as Moro’s final form. He retains aspects of his older self, the power stealing crystals of 7-3, and the black accents that I loved on Moro 7-3

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:25 am

Gt91 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:51 pm
GodVegetto91 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:19 am Toyotaro fucked up by not giving SSJ Full Power Broly green hair in the Manga.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoU76HBU4AA ... name=large

Top left, light green.

p.s. my bad, you guys are correct
I don’t see any tint of green in there.. Looks just yellow to me.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:26 am

Kinokima wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:05 pm
Alruneia wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:47 pm Okay, hang on. We do know that Toyotaro doesn't personally colour the manga pages, right? (Genuine question. I'm 99 % sure he's not involved in the process at all, but a source is always better.) I mean, an entire volume gets coloured per month. I don't think he's got that much time to spare in his schedule.
You are right Toyo is not responsible for the color editions of the manga
Oh right! My bad! I COMPLETELY forgot! How could I???!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:10 am

Oh look, a fan art of Moro! What are the odds!

I don't particularly care about fan arts that redesign a character, but that looks better than Toyotaro's version HAHA.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:56 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:10 am Oh look, a fan art of Moro! What are the odds!

I don't particularly care about fan arts that redesign a character, but that looks better than Toyotaro's version HAHA.
What are the odds? Pretty high, actually.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dragon+ ... AXoECA8QAw

https://www.deviantart.com/search/devia ... super+moro

But hey, whatever suits your narrative.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:59 am

Rebel Instinct wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:56 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:10 am Oh look, a fan art of Moro! What are the odds!

What are the odds? Pretty high, actually.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dragon+ ... AXoECA8QAw

https://www.deviantart.com/search/devia ... super+moro

But hey, whatever suits your narrative.
Lol it was a joke, settle down.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:14 pm

As long as we're discussing colors, what's the consensus on Gogeta's form during the Kamehameha? I've seen some people suggest he's using Vegeta's Evolved Super Saiyan Blue state, considering the outline of the Kamehameha is dark blue, whereas other Kamehamehas in the digitally colored edition are outlined with a light cyan the same color as the SSB hair.

The Bastard.
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Bastard. » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Yuji wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:14 pm As long as we're discussing colors, what's the consensus on Gogeta's form during the Kamehameha? I've seen some people suggest he's using Vegeta's Evolved Super Saiyan Blue state, considering the outline of the Kamehameha is dark blue, whereas other Kamehamehas in the digitally colored edition are outlined with a light cyan the same color as the SSB hair.
It's just a color style, nothing to do with any other forms, it's Gogeta Blue and that's it.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:17 pm

It was confirmed that Broly's hair was green because of the side effect from Paragus's mind control device back in Movie 8 (Movie 10&11 his hair was blonde/yellow/gold). It's his most iconic look though so that's what sells when it comes to the "Broly Styled Characters".
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels