"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:49 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:54 pm
head_cha_la wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:20 am The Dragon Ball Super movie was announced in the Super Dragon Ball Heroes booth by Akio Iyoku.
What could they tell us? Are there restrictions to what we're allowed to ask?
The movie had been announced on the Super Dragon Ball Heroes booth in 2017.
https://twitter.com/ryfura/status/94185 ... en-2018%2F

It is not really necessary to have a Dragon Ball Super booth to have a Dragon Ball Super related announcement for the movie or the series.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:22 pm

head_cha_la wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:49 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:54 pm
head_cha_la wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:20 am The Dragon Ball Super movie was announced in the Super Dragon Ball Heroes booth by Akio Iyoku.
What could they tell us? Are there restrictions to what we're allowed to ask?
It is not really necessary to have a Dragon Ball Super booth to have a Dragon Ball Super related announcement for the movie or the series.
I know, but they can't tell us anything minor we don't already know, and wouldn't anything major like who the movie is about be on a DBS booth? I just don't think there'd be any reason to stick around if DBS doesn't get a booth.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:09 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:22 pm I just don't think there'd be any reason to stick around if DBS doesn't get a booth.
Even if Super gets its own booth there's still a good chance nothing important will be announced at it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:14 am

I'm likely setting myself up for disappointment (again), but I want to hope that something gets announced. I don't even need a "It's coming in 20XX" card, I just want to know if they're still planning to do another movie or another weekly series.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:19 am

Chuquita wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:14 am I'm likely setting myself up for disappointment (again), but I want to hope that something gets announced. I don't even need a "It's coming in 20XX" card, I just want to know if they're still planning to do another movie or another weekly series.
It seems that due to the success the franchise has been having these past 2 years without anything animated, Toei has shifted their focus to franchises that do require an anime to succeed. I'm not saying nothing will happen for sure, but there's been 0 signs these last 2 years, as well as 0 reasons to do so. The franchise is unfortunately at a point where it just prints money, regardless of there being quality behind it or not, and now regardless of there being anything new or not.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:13 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:19 am
Chuquita wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:14 am I'm likely setting myself up for disappointment (again), but I want to hope that something gets announced. I don't even need a "It's coming in 20XX" card, I just want to know if they're still planning to do another movie or another weekly series.
It seems that due to the success the franchise has been having these past 2 years without anything animated, Toei has shifted their focus to franchises that do require an anime to succeed. I'm not saying nothing will happen for sure, but there's been 0 signs these last 2 years, as well as 0 reasons to do so. The franchise is unfortunately at a point where it just prints money, regardless of there being quality behind it or not, and now regardless of there being anything new or not.
I agree with this. It stings a bit to see these other franchises that I don't care about (other than One Piece but I mainly read the manga, not watch the show) being the only ones to reap the rewards of what Toei learned from working on Super--like it was a guinia pig. Like it's cool that because of Super, Kitaro and Dragon Quest and One Piece and sometimes-Digimon all look amazing, but I wish a weekly DB series had the chance to look that good.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:47 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:13 pmIt stings a bit to see these other franchises that I don't care about (other than One Piece but I mainly read the manga, not watch the show) being the only ones to reap the rewards of what Toei learned from working on Super--like it was a guinia pig. Like it's cool that because of Super, Kitaro and Dragon Quest and One Piece and sometimes Digimon all look amazing, but I wish a weekly DB series had the chance to look that good.
This is why I wish DB wasn't as successful as it is now, as it's allowing the people behind it to take that success for granted. These other franchise are also successful, but not to the point where they can get away with what DB has gotten away with. Too much of a good thing can turn into a bad thing.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:50 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:13 pmI agree with this. It stings a bit to see these other franchises that I don't care about (other than One Piece but I mainly read the manga, not watch the show) being the only ones to reap the rewards of what Toei learned from working on Super--like it was a guinia pig. Like it's cool that because of Super, Kitaro and Dragon Quest and One Piece and sometimes-Digimon all look amazing, but I wish a weekly DB series had the chance to look that good.
I don't believe they've retired the Super brand yet, as the manga is on-going with a finished unique story arc, and is presumably about to start a new one next month. The ending of the Moro arc coinciding with Jump Festa doesn't seem accidental to me. Perhaps they'll announce an adaptation of the Moro arc in movie or 12-episode format or, if we're lucky, the continuation of Super with an adaptation of the Broly movie followed by the Moro arc.

We can't forget that Dragon Ball's biggest breadwinners, Heroes and merch lines, also benefit from new content; animated content, specifically, since for one reason or other, they refuse to utilize Moro arc characters and designs in their new stories, cards and figures.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Yuji wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:50 pmWe can't forget that Dragon Ball's biggest breadwinners, Heroes and merch lines, also benefit from new content; animated content, specifically, since for one reason or other, they refuse to utilize Moro arc characters and designs in their new stories, cards and figures.
Here's the problem, DB is doing extremely well financially without time and money being invested into new animated material. I agree that we'll eventually get something, I just think it'll be longer than we'd like it to be.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Yeah, Super was so popular that it's literally making billions without even airing. Just the merchandise and videogames are enough. It's kind of funny really.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:03 pm

Dragon Ball is still a monster generating money despite not having anything animated (Heroes does not count) for 2 years. However, it has already been seen in the financial results that this year has gone from 10.8 billion in 2019 to 8.7 in 2020. With this rate of decline, if there is still no animated project next year, they may be earning almost half that in 2019.

Is it still a lot of money? Of course. Is the decrease in profits from one year to another without an animated project very large? Of course also.

Obviously they can still make money without an animated project, but they may also want to prevent profits from dropping so steeply.

The normal thing would be to try to do another animated project to return to have the highest possible benefits and stop the decline. It does not have to be the return of the series since a movie with all the new merchandising that it produces can make the profits rise again and thus endure another couple of years.

I believe that by the end of 2021 there must be something new animated. If it is not the return of the series after Digimon it should be a new movie. But something I think they should do.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:43 pm

I’ve said before that I would rather the series stick to movies from now on when it comes to animated content, but judging by how the Galactic Prisoners arc has been turning out, it seems like that might not be something they’ll just skip over, so maybe another movie so soon won’t be an option.

As usual, the main thing that makes me concerned about the prospects of continuing the show is Masako Nozawa’s age.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 am

Yeah there’s no way they will ever skip the Galactic Patrol Arc now.

The fact Super still hasn’t come back, and the fact there’s no news about the movie which is supposed to come in the future, makes me believe that all this time they have been waiting for the manga to get ahead by lot so that they can adapt it.

I know some people don’t like this idea but I think it’s the only plausible one.
The Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc is 25 chapters long. If they adapted the anime 1 episode to 1 chapter it would end up being almost exactly 2 cours long. But they could also extend it to 39 or even 52 episodes if they wanted to add some stuff and milk it out.

If Super came back in October 2021 then the manga’s new arc would already be in its 9th chapter. Assuming the anime adaptation of Moro to be 39-52 weeks long then by the time it would be over the manga’s next arc would have around 18 to 22 chapters which could be more than enough for an arc.

Then after the anime adapted the next arc too they could possibly release a movie written by Toriyama and set in between the next arc and the one after it.
It could even be the latest movie to wrap up Super, though.

It’s also possible that the anime could quickly adapt Moro (26 episodes) then begin the following arc by following the manga and later surpass and diverge from it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:23 am

I would like a full manga adaptation starting from U6 arc. All to see the Dragon Ball Kart chapter animated :P

The arcs would be pretty short judging by how they were in the manga itself, and it would still be fresh content.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:53 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:23 am I would like a full manga adaptation starting from U6 arc. All to see the Dragon Ball Kart chapter animated :P

The arcs would be pretty short judging by how they were in the manga itself, and it would still be fresh content.
That’s something I would love to see happening. Who knows, maybe in a distant future dry of DB content they will actually decide to animate Toyotaro’s manga in its entirety.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:08 pm

I wonder how long people are still going to refer to '24-episode long adaptations of arcs' without any substantial proof.
Is it even going to continue within 2 years after when DQ has ended and new long lasting anime is made by TOEI that's not Super? :shifty:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:48 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:53 pm
Xeogran wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:23 am I would like a full manga adaptation starting from U6 arc. All to see the Dragon Ball Kart chapter animated :P

That’s something I would love to see happening. Who knows, maybe in a distant future dry of DB content they will actually decide to animate Toyotaro’s manga in its entirety.
Giving DBS the Sailor Moon Crystal treatment is an... interesting idea. Personally I wouldn't be against it, it's a good chance to create a kind of "perfect" version of the story that uses both the anime and the manga's best parts, but as far as likelihood goes, I think it's pretty solidly within "never in a million years" territory.
-
Jump Festa starts roughly two weeks from now. Relating to that, don't be too surprised if fake "leaks" start floating around soon.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:51 pm

Let's expect nothing from Jump Festa this time.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:36 pm

The problem with the Super anime is it went on for over 130 episodes but they clearly did not have the manpower behind it to keep it going, both animator wise and writing wise. Dragonball cannot be a continuous show that airs all year long anymore. There is not a constant stream of manga to adapt from anymore, and with all of Toei's other shows they don't have enough hands on deck.

Other than Pokemon, One Piece and I believe Naruto/Boruto, is there any other action-oriented anime these days that just continuously airs all year long with barely any breaks? I believe most other shonen anime aren't aired like this anymore, like for example Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia take long breaks between seasons rather than air continuously.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:43 pm

precita wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:36 pm The problem with the Super anime is it went on for over 130 episodes but they clearly did not have the manpower behind it to keep it going, both animator wise and writing wise. Dragonball cannot be a continuous show that airs all year long anymore. There is not a constant stream of manga to adapt from anymore, and with all of Toei's other shows they don't have enough hands on deck.

Other than Pokemon, One Piece and I believe Naruto/Boruto, is there any other action-oriented anime these days that just continuously airs all year long with barely any breaks? I believe most other shonen anime aren't aired like this anymore, like for example Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia take long breaks between seasons rather than air continuously.
There is Black Clover also, but you are correct that most adaptations now seem to follow the seasonal approach rather than the long-running schedule, but that is also because it better allows to test the waters, see if it's a success or not. In a case like Dragon Ball, where success is essentially guaranteed, that would be one less factor to prevent them from opting to air another long-running series.