"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:48 pm

If they have been working on Super's revival for the last couple of years now, the only way if the Moro saga is being adapted if they got a outline of the enitre saga. Unless they have spend the last couple of years on doing a Super Broly retelling.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:48 pm If they have been working on Super's revival for the last couple of years now, the only way if the Moro saga is being adapted if they got a outline of the enitre saga. Unless they have spend the last couple of years on doing a Super Broly retelling.
They made the movie retellings because Toriyama needed time to come up with new stories. Super was not planned, they decided to make it after they saw the overwhelming success of RoF, so Toriyama was caught off guard and needed time to create new stories.

But now that there are future stories available to tell, they should not waste time retelling the movie. Or maybe they could spend 1-2 filler episodes to recap it for the 100 people who did not watch it, but aside from that I doubt they will devote AN ENTIRE ARC to the Broly movie.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:51 pm

2 more days until Jump Festa. I'm still holding out hope for them to expand on whatever they're working on, but they may not even address the anime unless someone brings it up which didn't happen last year, or the year before IIRC.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:50 pm

Even if there is no announcement for the TV series at the Jump Festa, nothing is lost until we know the replacement for "Digimon Adventure" which has 38 episodes left. A simple tweet should be enough as in 2015.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:55 am

Expect DBS Kai.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:24 am

I'll take a movie too, it's still animated content made by Toei.

But since the next arc is a direct continuation of the Moro arc, I think it'd just be better to adapt the Moro arc as an anime arc. Like, imagine if the Saiyan arc was a movie and the Namek arc was an anime arc, the transition from one storyline to the other wouldn't feel that natural, would it?

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:53 am

If in 2021 we are going to have a movie, they have to announce it at the Jump Festa as Toei has done with One Piece and Broly. If a movie is not announced at the Festa, I see it almost impossible that we will have one in 2021.
A series may well not be announced on the date. Kai, Super, Digimon, Kitaro ... they don't usually announce the series at the Festa.

The only series that Toei has announced have been World Trigger and Dai, which curiously are not the ones that were going to be launched at Fujitv. Digimon, on the other hand, was not announced at the 2020 Festa and its premiere was much closer.

Also seeing what happened with Dai and Trigger and with the domain registration exactly like Dai could announce the return of the series for 2021 this weekend without any panel or anything, showing a trailer dated 2021 and publishing the web for everything the world.

We will see if there is any news.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:56 am

According to Dbshype: "At Jump Festa 2021, a Special PV about History of Goku’s Battles will be screened! An interview of Tatsuya Nagamine will also be held!" Don't get your hopes up too much, but at least it's something to look forward to. If I thought there was a 10% chance or so of something being announced, now it's up to 25%. Not good, but better than before.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:36 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:56 am According to Dbshype: "At Jump Festa 2021, a Special PV about History of Goku’s Battles will be screened! An interview of Tatsuya Nagamine will also be held!" Don't get your hopes up too much, but at least it's something to look forward to. If I thought there was a 10% chance or so of something being announced, now it's up to 25%. Not good, but better than before.
Interesting! :think: They could announce a movie at that time or even a new series!

Naganime has been director of One Piece since July 2019 along with 2 other directors Kōhei Kureta and Aya Komaki.

This is his story as a series director:

2004 Interlude Yes OVA
2004–2005 Beet the Vandel Buster Yes TV series
2005–2006 Beet the Vandel Buster: Excellion Yes TV series
2006–2007 Powerpuff Girls Z TV series, Transformation Animation with Yoshikazu Tomita
2010–2011 HeartCatch PreCure! Yes TV series
2013–2014 Saint Seiya Omega Yes TV series (# 52–77)
2014–2015 HappinessCharge PreCure! Yes TV series
2016 One Piece: Heart of Gold Yes TV special
2017–2018 Dragon Ball Super Yes TV series, co-directed with Ryota Nakamura (# 77–131) [2]
2019 – present One Piece Yes TV series (# 892 – present)

In July 2021 he will take 2 years co-directing One Piece with the other 2 directors. Could it be that Naganime leaves One Piece to direct the new movie or series? Could you leave the address to the other 2 directors who are already in charge?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:40 am

That special about "Goku's past battles in Super" sounds neat :) I'm going to check it out.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:21 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:56 am According to Dbshype: "At Jump Festa 2021, a Special PV about History of Goku’s Battles will be screened! An interview of Tatsuya Nagamine will also be held!"
Well that interview is unexpected, since Nagamine is handling One Piece Wano arc currently. Hopefully he comes back to DB one day... :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:59 am

Noah wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:18 pm I like how Toei is playing smart in not announcing the anime returning (yet), I mean why waste resources on something they are already profiting enough without it? Sure anything could be better than reading Toyotaro's boring manga, but probably a new movie will come out by 2022 or so...
Exactly Toei is a business first. If they make 'enough' money of DB and investing and occupying animation teams that could bring in more money by animating other shows, they would be wise to just keep the Dragon Ball brand to just movies.

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:03 pm Dragon Ball is still a monster generating money despite not having anything animated (Heroes does not count) for 2 years. However, it has already been seen in the financial results that this year has gone from 10.8 billion in 2019 to 8.7 in 2020. With this rate of decline, if there is still no animated project next year, they may be earning almost half that in 2019.
Heroes does not count? That's moving the goal post. It is animated. In fact, It is the only animated Dragon Ball series right now.
Plus, the Heroes franchise makes a lot of money with the manga, cards, games and merchandise. Heck, we even got an English release of Dragon Ball Heroes for the Switch!

And yes there has been a decline. Since you have the exact numbers and apparently the foresight could you provide an explanation of the drop in numbers, based on facts, not opinions?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:54 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:21 am
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:56 am According to Dbshype: "At Jump Festa 2021, a Special PV about History of Goku’s Battles will be screened! An interview of Tatsuya Nagamine will also be held!"
Well that interview is unexpected, since Nagamine is handling One Piece Wano arc currently. Hopefully he comes back to DB one day... :P

Whether the interview will be truely intresting: It depends if and what the man actually can say about the future, be it only about the new movie that's in the works.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:43 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:59 amSince you have the exact numbers and apparently the foresight could you provide an explanation of the drop in numbers, based on facts, not opinions?
If I remember correctly, I think the franchise has lost around a third of its profits since the anime ended, which isn't bad at all. Being able to remain as profitable as it has without anything animated for 2 years speaks volumes about how successful the franchise is.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:56 am According to Dbshype: "At Jump Festa 2021, a Special PV about History of Goku’s Battles will be screened! An interview of Tatsuya Nagamine will also be held!" Don't get your hopes up too much, but at least it's something to look forward to. If I thought there was a 10% chance or so of something being announced, now it's up to 25%. Not good, but better than before.
That's actually good to hear, but what are the chances someone will ask him about the anime?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:38 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:28 pm
That's actually good to hear, but what are the chances someone will ask him about the anime?

He is on One Piece now, which is very time consuming but nontheless very important for the Japanese market (i have never understood what the Japanese have with these series, it's nowhere that good that IMHO it deserves non-stop long lasting massive attention for decades, but that could just be my personal preference speaking).
So i doubt a job as editor-in-chief for One Piece is combinable with editor-in-chief for a new animated DB project. Unless TOEI is prepared to (temporary) move their staff, Nagamine stays on One Piece.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:19 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:38 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:28 pm

He is on One Piece now, which is very time consuming but nontheless very important for the Japanese market (i have never understood what the Japanese have with these series, it's nowhere that good that IMHO it deserves non-stop long lasting massive attention for decades, but that could just be my personal preference speaking).
So i doubt a job as editor-in-chief for One Piece is combinable with editor-in-chief for a new animated DB project. Unless TOEI is prepared to (temporary) move their staff, Nagamine stays on One Piece.
I don't expect him to work on a new anime or anything like that. I'm just hoping he gives us more details on what Toei will eventually do with Super.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:26 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:19 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:28 pm That's actually good to hear, but what are the chances someone will ask him about the anime?

I don't expect him to work on a new anime or anything like that. I'm just hoping he gives us more details on what Toei will eventually do with Super.

it's not impossible.
But wouldn't it make more sense head if fe head of DB Room Akio Iyoku would do that (or the new director of the project), if Nagamine himself is no longer busy with Super?

I just wonder: 'why would the franchise let a man that is no longer busy with Super talk about its future?'

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:26 pm

it's not impossible.
But wouldn't it make more sense head if fe head of DB Room Akio Iyoku would do that (or the new director of the project), if Nagamine himself is no longer busy with Super?
He's the one that told the world about the new movie in the first place. I can't believe I forgot all about him...Is he going to be appearing too?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:35 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:29 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:26 pm

it's not impossible.
He's the one that told the world about the new movie in the first place. I can't believe I forgot all about him...Is he going to be appearing too?

I don't know. That guy can be unpredictable.
At JF 2017 he appeared out of nowhere on a Heroes or games stand to announce a new movie (Broly) was in the works.