"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:43 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:27 am
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 am Why does everyone wants us to rush to the EoZ? Is it preference? Is it nostalgia? You do realize that currently Toriyama and Toyo may want to fill the 'time skip' with stories because the EoZ will be the finale of Dragon Ball right? All things have to come to an end, and with no gurantee that the story will continue after EoZ I'd prefer to see 10 more arcs before it.

Anyway, if Granola is indeed a tuffle and we got this whole 7-3 crystal thing going on, I wouldn't be surprised if a 'repurposed' Hatchiyak-type of figure get introduced. Issue being, it gotta be a bit more original than 7-3 and not share many parallels with Anilaza (Like absorbing his creator). A wild theory if you may :lol:
That's all well and good. But it appears many would like to see arcs after the EOZ time period as well.
As for this new arc, I'd rather Granola be something completely different. But I'd be happier if he were some kind of Tuffle survivor instead of an angel like some people assume he is based off previous comments here.
Which is pretty much a thing because people want to see Uub and Super's take on a 'GT era' Goku. I'm fine with those things.

But I questioned this all in the first place, because there is a possibility that Toriyama wishes to return the series back to the original 'ending' as in, he doesn't want to add more stuff, thus taking away from what he established all that time ago. We shall see I suppose.
Last edited by Grand Marshal 1 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
P O W E R

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:43 am

I personally want to get to End of Z because it feels unnatural to cram so many arcs into this inter-period between the Buu saga and End of Z. It is kind of difficult to explain. This period was supposed to be relatively peaceful. So far we've had Zamasu, who was literally a multiversal mega threat, but he was confined to the Future timeline so I guess that's passable. Then we've had Moro, who was a galaxy-level threat, which is passable I guess. But what's next? I mean, how many threats can you cram into this inter-period that is supposed to be "peaceful"?

It has nothing to do with Goku, Uub, Bulma, or anything else. It has to do with the pacing in-universe of all of these conflicts. In Z, there were 7 years between the Cell saga and Majin Buu saga. In Super there's like a few months between the Zamasu arc and the ToP arc...

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:52 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:43 am In Z, there were 7 years between the Cell saga and Majin Buu saga.
You know, they could always make a seperate season about that time period too, don't let them read this :lol:

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 am

Granola as a tsufuru? I don't know, his skintone doesn't match with Zarbuto's, but maybe tsufurs have different skincolor variations.
Also, I guess tsufurs inventing the scouter was an anime filler/movie stuff, and now DBS changet it Kikono being the inventor.
Maybe tsufurs invented the original version of it (the one that Granola wears), and then Kikono just upgraded it to the current version. That would make sense.
But I honestly think that's not the case, people just trying to make sense from what is known, and make it fit with what we know of the DB universe. This is where "Granola is the a fallen angel, who is the new villian in this arc" came from.
Since then we got the colored art, and the truth is, he doesn't seem to belong to previously known races of DB based on appearence, clothes and tech. He also seems to ambush that alien base to maybe destroy OG73-I? Doesn't seems like a villain to me.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:37 am

I think Seven-Three is a tuffle or a machine mutant. The similarities to Baby are too uncanny.

Imagine if this next saga is a group of tuffle remnants and some of their machine mutants..

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:42 am

What is this Star Wars $#&%*! And where's wilderness Goku, who preferred observing nature over parties.

Also, is this the first time its confirmed that Vegeta is the fourth one? Is now hoping for a second son named Vegeta.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:48 am

Not much from what we didn't already know. Interesting how we get another 'time-skip' like in the middle of the Moro arc. 'Some' months. I guess less than half a year? And for around that long, peace on Earth. Maybe we get something on Beerus scolding Goku and Vegeta for getting beaten by Zeno lol.
P O W E R

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:52 am

A pleasant chapter and good introduction to the next arc. I share the disappointment that we once again seem to be stuck in the 10-year time period, especially after the relevance of Oob and the conclusive atmosphere of the final bout, but I am once again cautiously optimistic about the Granola arc. If anything, it will be entertaining.

Disappointing likewise is the disappearance of the Grand Kaioshin's memories from Mr. Boo. I was hoping they would serve as the catalyst for some sort of development for the character in future arcs, but I suppose that I should be happy the character got a power-up and sufficient enough spotlight in order to drive the plot forward in the Moro arc for a character that Toriyama seems thoroughly uninterested in using.

Merus' revival and his subsequent reincarnation in a mortal body is a development that I like. It does not let the character get away with breaking the cosmic rules of the universe he lives in, but it also not an unnecessarily mean and depressing ending for him; it also allows for his reappearance in future arcs as an ally of the dragon team if Toyotarou and Toriyama were to be interested in revisiting the character again. I also particularly liked that Shin offered to give up his life for the sake of Merus, but I wish the Kaioshin had played a bigger role in the arc, especially considering the role his senior had - an interaction between the two would have been nice.

Beerus' punishment is apt, and it once more is an adequate punishment that humiliates the character without bordering on the realm of mean spiritedness. Some fans likely wished for something grander to come out of the Grand Priest's decision, such as Beerus' erasure or demotion, but I am content with this development; anything harsher could risk upsetting Dragon Ball's ethos as a light-hearted and consequence-free world. On the other hand, I dislike the way Beerus has been continuously portrayed in the manga. He seems stuck in a constant grumpy, stressed and selfish mood, which is highly inconsistent with his Battle of Gods portrayal if anything else, where the character was seen as much more carefree and sympathetic. I'm much more of a fan of how the character has gradually mellowed out in the anime, even if his growth is much more overt and melodramatic than it should be at points. While you can feel the character has grown to have some affinity for Goku & co in the manga as well, he still feels far too hostile and grouchy; no hint of good will in his words, and barely any in his actions.

Granola's design, as fans pointed out, seems straight out of Dragon Quest. He seems to be strong considering how he easily defeats the OG artificial humans who have been powered-up with OG-73's data, but it seems also that he's unaware of who the OGs are; it is Oatmil, staying in the shadows for now, who seems to be the brains of the group and the one with the connection to the artificial humans.
Last edited by Yuji on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:52 am

emperior wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:39 am Considering the Tsufurus are named after fruits it’s safe to assume he won’t be from that race either.
I don't think their names really mean anything. Dr. Myuu, Baby, and the machine mutants were not fruit puns.

Toriyama has left the fruit puns to the Frieza Force for the most part. Ms. Blueberry, Zarbon, Dadoria, Appule, Cui, Abo, Kado.

My gut is telling me that Seven-Three is related to the tuffles somehow. Just like how my gut is told me Merus was an angel. People insisted Merus wasn't an angel because he didn't have a name that was a liquor pun, but that turned out to be wrong. The possibility exists that these are tuffles or rebooted machine mutants.
Last edited by Peach on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:54 am

Brettjr25 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:42 amAlso, is this the first time its confirmed that Vegeta is the fourth one?
No, this was first confirmed in Chapter 43, at Goku and Vegeta's induction as Special Recruits into the Galactic Patrol.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:02 pm

Moro was such a disappointing villain. Literally 0 backstory, generic evil personality, and now all of his actions are undone by the Dragon Balls. The villain of the next arc is bound to be better than Moro, so there's that to look forward to I guess.

Maybe Moro will redeem himself in the anime somewhat if he gets a cool VA and ost, but until then he's a 1/10 villain. I liked his Angel design, I'll give him that.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:06 pm

Peach wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:37 am The similarities to Baby are too uncanny.
Baby isn't actually a Tuffle though, he's a parasite created by Tuffle scientists that has Tuffle DNA

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:07 pm

So... This arc has “more” Toriyama involvement than the Moro arc had?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:16 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:02 pm Moro was such a disappointing villain. Literally 0 backstory, generic evil personality, and now all of his actions are undone by the Dragon Balls. The villain of the next arc is bound to be better than Moro, so there's that to look forward to I guess.

Maybe Moro will redeem himself in the anime somewhat if he gets a cool VA and ost, but until then he's a 1/10 villain. I liked his Angel design, I'll give him that.
None of the Dragon Ball villains have much back story except for Zamasu, they're just bad guys who want to do bad things because they're bad. The most back story we ever got in the original series was for the Saiyans, and it came from a non-canon TV special.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:16 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:07 pm So... This arc has “more” Toriyama involvement than the Moro arc had?
I think it'll be the same, both of them working on it together with Toriyama getting the final say on things.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:22 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:16 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:02 pm Moro was such a disappointing villain. Literally 0 backstory, generic evil personality, and now all of his actions are undone by the Dragon Balls. The villain of the next arc is bound to be better than Moro, so there's that to look forward to I guess.

None of the Dragon Ball villains have much back story except for Zamasu, they're just bad guys who want to do bad things because they're bad. The most back story we ever got in the original series was for the Saiyans, and it came from a non-canon TV special.
All the villains of Dragon Ball have a backstory that explains their powers and origins. We know why Frieza is so powerful and perverse. He's a prodigy from a dynasty that rules over a slave empire. We know why Cell is so powerful and perverse. He's an amalgamation of the mightiest warriors in the universe, designed to achieve ultimate perfection. But can you answer these two questions:

- Why is Moro so evil?
- Why does Moro have the power to devour planets/absorb people (which is his entire gimmick)?

You can't, because his backstory amounts to 0. We know he fought the Grand Supreme Kai in the past and that's it...

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:32 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:22 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:16 pm

All the villains of Dragon Ball have a backstory that explains their powers and origins. We know why Frieza is so powerful and perverse. He's a prodigy from a dynasty that rules over a slave empire. We know why Cell is so powerful and perverse. He's an amalgamation of the mightiest warriors in the universe, designed to achieve ultimate perfection. But can you answer these two questions:

- Why is Moro so evil?
- Why does Moro have the power to devour planets?

You can't, because his backstory amounts to 0. We know he fought the Grand Supreme Kai in the past and that's it...
We know Moro is an alien wizard who craves power and gets it by devouring souls, but like all of the other villains we don't know why.

Why does Freeza want to rule the universe? Why did the Red Ribbon Army want to take over the world? Why did Bibidi want to destroy everything? No one knows.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 pm

How in the world are people getting "Tuffle Vibes" when we've never been introduced to any properly?

Standard chapter though, nothing super exciting but not bad either.

"You're grabbing my junk on purpose arent you?", an unnecessary joke but I chuckled lol.

Also it seems like The Grand Priest personally erases the Angels should they impede on human affairs. Which means he destroyed Merus despite being billions of light years away, dude has some serious freaking power!

Curious to see where this is going, Granolla didn't give off any "Super Strong guy" vibes, so we'll see why he's after 7-3.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:48 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:54 am
Brettjr25 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:42 amAlso, is this the first time its confirmed that Vegeta is the fourth one?
No, this was first confirmed in Chapter 43, at Goku and Vegeta's induction as Special Recruits into the Galactic Patrol.
It actually first comes up in Broly, during Freeza's initial meeting with Paragus.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:50 pm

Can someone remind me, were the Tuffles an anime invention by Toei or were they in the original manga? I always forget this since it seems the lore gets muddled a lot.

In the anime we see the Saiyans have a war with the Tuffles and wipe them out of what would be renamed Planet Vegeta.