"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nanatsu88

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:54 pm

The No announcement of an animated continuation of Dragon Ballo Super confirms that in 2021 we will not have an animated movie.

Super Broly and One Piece Stampide were announced at the Jump Festa for a premiere the following year, so I see it very difficult to have a movie next year.

In relation to the announcement of the anime, it was to be expected that they would not announce anything. Remember that Digimon will not end its broadcast until September 2021.

Remember that last year Dai and World Trigger announced that neither replaces another Toei series in broadcast. Instead Digimon Adventure was NOT announced at the Jump Festa. It was announced in mid-January for its April premiere. What is expected is that they would have announced Digimon at Festa 2019 and not wait 3 weeks later to make the announcement. The same happened with Kitaro, Super, Kai, Kai Buu and Toriko. These series were announced outside the Jump Festa so this is Toei's way of acting with his new series on FujiTv.

If they announce the return of the anime in 2021, it can be at any time as was the case with Digimon, Super or Gegege no Kitaro, which was not announced at the Jump Festa either.

It is possible that in February with the anniversary of Dragon Ball and Arale they will make the announcement or when there are 3 months left until Digimon ends but we cannot rule out that the series will return next year until Digimon has a replacement.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:29 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:54 pm
It is possible that in February with the anniversary of Dragon Ball and Arale they will make the announcement or when there are 3 months left until Digimon ends but we cannot rule out that the series will return next year until Digimon has a replacement.

We can never completely rule out things, because we don't exactly know what's going behind the scenes.
The fact Digimon will get a replacement does not say anything about the return or not return of Super.
Kitaro got a replacement as well, but it did not mean the return of Super.

It seems wiser to look at how their staff is occupied.
We only know for sure a lot of the best animators will be on DQ till 2022.
Therefore the soonest a major new animated project (movie or series) might realistically be possible, seems more like second half 2022.
And even that is far from a certainty.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:57 pm

Basically Super is dead in the water. It's done.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Yeah, if you've mainly only been sticking around because you're waiting for specifically the Super anime to come back, it might be time to step away, because as it stands now, I see no reason to believe it'll return at any point in the near future. The manga is still ongoing, and not stopping for a good while yet considering that a new arc just started, but for specifically animated content, moving on to greener pastures might be a good idea. At the very least, I recommend not trying to predict the time of the announcement anymore, and let it come to you instead.

I'll be honest, I'm even starting to have doubts about the existence of DB Movie #21 (DBS: Broly is #20) at this point. I've already had them, I've talked about them before, but I held off on really considering them until Jump Festa. Now that Jump Festa is over and no new info about the supposed movie has been released, the doubts are definitely starting to set in. I'm not saying that a 21st movie will never be made at all, because that would be nonsense, but I'm starting to think that the interview that hinted at its existence may have been mostly empty words. It was "in the early planning stage" approximately 18 months ago now, and we've heard nothing new since. What happened? Is it in development hell? Is a script lying around in some drawer at a Toei office? Or had they actually not started working on it back then after all? Unanswerable questions for those of us who aren't involved, I know. I'm looking forward to being proven wrong about this by an official announcement (or a leak) in the future, but until then, I'm personally going to stop claiming that another movie is certainly coming.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:10 pm

I keep seeing people bring up episode 131's "brief parting" narration and the Freeza tease at the end. Both of those were already addressed by the Broly film, which... came out later that year and featured Freeza as a prominent character.

I don't remember any official promise for a TV continuation.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:11 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:54 pmIt is possible that in February with the anniversary of Dragon Ball and Arale they will make the announcement or when there are 3 months left until Digimon ends but we cannot rule out that the series will return next year until Digimon has a replacement.
Expecting DB to return any time soon is pointless at this point. The franchise is currently making too much $$$ to justify green lighting a major project. Don't look at any anniversary dates or other series concluding to guess when it make return, keep your eyes on its yearly financial results. Once those start going down, that's when we can expect something, but not a minute before.
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:29 pmWe only know for sure a lot of the best animators will be on DQ till 2022. Therefore the soonest a major new animated project (movie or series) might realistically be possible, seems more like second half 2022. And even that is far from a certainty.
I've been saying this for awhile, as the staff on Digimon may not cut it for Super, so chances are whatever replaces it in October will be a simpler show to work on. Fans shouldn't expect anything DB related until we know for sure when DQ will end. Even then, if DB is financially stable by then, there's a chance DQ's staff will be moved to something else instead.
precita wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:57 pmBasically Super is dead in the water. It's done.
Alruneia wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:43 pmI'm even starting to have doubts about the existence of DB Movie #21 at this point. I'm starting to think that the interview that hinted at its existence may have been mostly empty words.
I think the assumption at Toei was that once Super ended, DB's financial results would go down, making it necessary to put out either a movie or series within a year or two at the most. What happened was that not only did its finances not get worse, they got better, making it pointless to spend so much time and money on a new project.

Back in 2008, Bandai wanted a new show to help move its merchandise, which resulted in Kai due to Toriyama not being interested in a new project. Once that didn't work, they realized that the only way to move merchandise was through a completely new show. Things are different now, Bandai's Heroes is so big that not only is it sustaining itself, but the franchise as a whole. The reasons Super was needed are no longer present.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:07 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:11 am
Nanatsu88 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:54 pmIt is possible that in February with the anniversary of Dragon Ball and Arale they will make the announcement or when there are 3 months left until Digimon ends but we cannot rule out that the series will return next year until Digimon has a replacement.
Expecting DB to return any time soon is pointless at this point. The franchise is currently making too much $$$ to justify green lighting a major project. Don't look at any anniversary dates or other series concluding to guess when it make return, keep your eyes on its yearly financial results. Once those start going down, that's when we can expect something, but not a minute before.
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:29 pmWe only know for sure a lot of the best animators will be on DQ till 2022. Therefore the soonest a major new animated project (movie or series) might realistically be possible, seems more like second half 2022. And even that is far from a certainty.
I've been saying this for awhile, as the staff on Digimon may not cut it for Super, so chances are whatever replaces it in October will be a simpler show to work on. Fans shouldn't expect anything DB related until we know for sure when DQ will end. Even then, if DB is financially stable by then, there's a chance DQ's staff will be moved to something else instead.
precita wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:57 pmBasically Super is dead in the water. It's done.
Alruneia wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:43 pmI'm even starting to have doubts about the existence of DB Movie #21 at this point. I'm starting to think that the interview that hinted at its existence may have been mostly empty words.
I think the assumption at Toei was that once Super ended, DB's financial results would go down, making it necessary to put out either a movie or series within a year or two at the most. What happened was that not only did its finances not get worse, they got better, making it pointless to spend so much time and money on a new project.

Back in 2008, Bandai wanted a new show to help move its merchandise, which resulted in Kai due to Toriyama not being interested in a new project. Once that didn't work, they realized that the only way to move merchandise was through a completely new show. Things are different now, Bandai's Heroes is so big that not only is it sustaining itself, but the franchise as a whole. The reasons Super was needed are no longer present.
That last statement is pure speculation. Honestly I think it's a mix of the different Dragon ball mangas, the video games and Heroes

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:10 pm

While it's too bad the anime is dead, I am surprised the manga is still going. You would think that would go on hiatus too since I doubt it actually makes them much money.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:18 pm

I'm hoping that DBS takes the time slot of Digimon once that show ends. Didn't Toei or Shueisha liscense new websites recently?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm

precita wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:10 pm While it's too bad the anime is dead, I am surprised the manga is still going. You would think that would go on hiatus too since I doubt it actually makes them much money.
I haven't overly enjoyed the manga for a while, but maybe the manga didn't go on hiatus because now they have something to adapt if the anime ever comes back.

I'm still kinda hopeful for the next manga arc.
Last edited by Chuquita on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:41 pm

If the Moro arc gets adapted, who would you pick to voice Moro? I would pick Hidekatsu Shibata to voice Moro in Japanese and Tony Todd in English. If they can get James Marsters to voice Zamasu, anything is possible.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:02 pm

It seems that website created by shueisha reported a few time ago is going up soon and it seems his main focus is to have all the DB news there in multiple languages for the international public.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:41 pm If the Moro arc gets adapted, who would you pick to voice Moro? I would pick Hidekatsu Shibata to voice Moro in Japanese and Tony Todd in English. If they can get James Marsters to voice Zamasu, anything is possible.
Hidekatsu Shibata is already Chapa, and Yi Xing Long; doubt Moro would have been voiced by him as well, but then again, who knows...

Personally, I think Akio Otsuka would have been perfect for Moro.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:33 am

precita wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:10 pmWhile it's too bad the anime is dead, I am surprised the manga is still going. You would think that would go on hiatus too since I doubt it actually makes them much money.
It may not make as much money as other products, but it also doesn't cost as much to make either. It also ensures that they won't go into a potential Super sequel blind like they did in 2015, as they'll have at the bare minimum 2 full arcs to adapt, which can give them anywhere from 50 to 100 episodes depending on how they pace things out.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:03 am

It's weird, Kai was originally canceled after the Cell arc and they waited awhile to adapt the Boo saga. Now Super was on "hiatus" after the TOP arc and now there's been 3+ years with no sign of it returning.

I wonder why Dragon Ball is not successful on TV anymore? Kai got canceled mid-series and they barely got to do the Boo arc, and now Super ended after only running 3 years from 2015-2018...with a 3-4+ year gap after. I guess times have changed.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:18 am

precita wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:03 am It's weird, Kai was originally canceled after the Cell arc and they waited awhile to adapt the Boo saga. Now Super was on "hiatus" after the TOP arc and now there's been 3+ years with no sign of it returning. I wonder why Dragon Ball is not successful on TV anymore?
The reason it's taking so long is because of how successful the franchise has become, it's doing so well there's no need for a show, the opposite of Kai's situation.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:23 am

precita wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:03 am It's weird, Kai was originally canceled after the Cell arc and they waited awhile to adapt the Boo saga. Now Super was on "hiatus" after the TOP arc and now there's been 3+ years with no sign of it returning.

I wonder why Dragon Ball is not successful on TV anymore? Kai got canceled mid-series and they barely got to do the Boo arc, and now Super ended after only running 3 years from 2015-2018...with a 3-4+ year gap after. I guess times have changed.
Super’s TV show was incredibly successful. They surely didn’t stop it because of it being a failure.

It’s quite the contrary: Super was such a successful revival, despite all of its issues, that up until now they have been able to afford it not being on air cause it has given so much new content and notoriety to the franchise. They have been able to ride the Super’s momentum and still make as much as they did when the show was on air.

Now with the new website it seems like they are planning greater things for this franchise.
I fully expect the anime to be simuldubbed, maybe in more languages, once it comes

I also believe they will take full control over the earnings power of DB, which means they will monetize it as much as possible without having to lose big chunks to third parties. Maybe they will stream the anime on their own without having to ask Crunchyroll?
They will also post all the news and translate it to multiple languages so we won’t have to rely anymore on second hand information and translation, which means the site will have a huge influx of visitors which they can monetize too.

I highly doubt they haven’t done any behind the scenes work on DB since Broly. They surely haven’t sit on their asses all this time. Hopefully the new website is the starting point.
Even if DB kept bringing in money it has still a lot of potential to grow even more and they must know it.
Last edited by emperior on Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:25 am

^ Pretty much. Super was incredibly popular, just look at the final episodes of the ToP arc. They were literally streamed in city squares and watched by huge crowds, it was basically a public event in some countries. I can't think of any other show that popular.

Regardless, so long as the Moro arc is not animated, none of its characters will ever be featured seriously in videogames and merchandise. It's in everyone's best interests that the anime continues.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:34 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:25 am ^ Pretty much. Super was incredibly popular, just look at the final episodes of the ToP arc. They were literally streamed in city squares and watched by huge crowds, it was basically a public event in some countries. I can't think of any other show that popular.
Such a big event, and the official sources hardly got a dime for it.
They probably were mad they weren’t been able to directly make money out of this kind of stuff (even though they got indirect returns from it).

Frankly I believe they never expected it to ever surpass One Piece in revenues. Hopefully in the future Dragon Ball will get as much animated content and love as One Piece has gotten in the last years.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:51 am

emperior wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:34 am Such a big event, and the official sources hardly got a dime for it.
They probably were mad they weren’t been able to directly make money out of this kind of stuff (even though they got indirect returns from it).
I think one city asked permission so they could've gotten involved, but they refused, only for the city to allow it anyway.