"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Psykomatik wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:36 am
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:34 am
Psykomatik wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:32 amYep, I saw it live on twitch so I hope there'll be a replay so I can show you the part where they confirm the anime will comeback at some point.
Did they say they were actually working on it with more news to come, or was it a generic "DB is super popular so eventually you'll get something in the future" ?
They didn't say they were working on it, just that it exists.
I saw it live on TeamMangaTV's twitch, they tweeted this: https://twitter.com/TeamManga__/status/ ... 2742451200
That's good to hear. Does that mean we'll be getting Super back in 2022 when the reruns end?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:28 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:09 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:34 am

Did they say they were actually working on it with more news to come, or was it a generic "DB is super popular so eventually you'll get something in the future" ?
I saw it live on TeamMangaTV's twitch, they tweeted this: https://twitter.com/TeamManga__/status/ ... 2742451200
That's good to hear. Does that mean we'll be getting Super back in 2022 when the reruns end?

As i stated in the manga thread:
"The editor-in-chief of V-jump magazine Victory Uchida said in a panel 'when / if the storyline of the manga is adapted in anime, he will count on the producers of the games to incorporate the new characters."

He didn't actually say plans for an anime sequel exist or they were working on it.
Although he did gave a hint.

Of course, it would still make sense for animated content to return one day, as long as the manga is still ongoing, and the characters first have to be animated before they can be fit into the games.
But, it would have made sense as well they'd said something about that new movie at this Jump Festa. That did not happen either.
We have no guarantees to date about the animes return.
We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I wouldn't fix myself too much on a time period when Super returns.
If it returns, it can be announced on a blue monday when we least expect it.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:36 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:28 pm

"The editor-in-chief of V-jump magazine Victory Uchida said in a panel 'when / if the storyline of the manga is adapted in anime, he will count on the producers of the games to incorporate the new characters."
So was it a simple mistranslation or twitter clickbait?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:43 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:36 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:28 pm

So was it a simple mistranslation or twitter clickbait?

I saw it on Saiyko Devins (French Youtuber) channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eak54QOMemg&t=724s
Saiyko is mostly correct about this stuff.
He said Uchida only gave that answer during the panel, and did not actually confirm the animes pre-production going on at the moment.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:05 pm

Prepare yourselves because you might be about to read the dumbest thing you have ever read.

Recently, on the 20th of December, a Mexican YouTuber named Critic’s Sight has “leaked” what a possible new movie of Super will be about.

Before you stop reading... this shit is so dumb it might actually be true. And here’s why.

According to the source, whom, I mind you, is NOT a Dragon Ball YouTuber, which actually makes this more convincing, the movie is supposedly canonizing none other than Baby Vegeta. The cherry on the cake being that Broly gets Super Saiyan 4 and fuses with Goku to make what the source calls “Goly” though it’s uncertain if he’s just making up a name or not. If it was true, maybe in Japanese it would be “Gori” which would be a pun on Gorilla?

That’s everything he said about the movie. This information comes from a 45+ minutes long video, at the end of it, after the guy talks about Marvel stuff.
As far as I understand, this guy might have sources from Disney coming from some contract in the USA. Some say he has gotten plenty of stuff right in the past. I don’t actually care. The reason I find this to be interesting enough to post here is that this sounds so incredibly unbelievable it might actually happen. Like Broly.

It may also be a reach, but the fact they are releasing Baby and Gogeta in FighterZ may be hints (according to the source too). Not to mention how heavily they are pushing Super Saiyan 4 in Heroes, or how now they are releasing a new Limit Breaker SS4 Broly who they are heavily marketing.

Maybe it’s God Broly all over again? Remember the 4D movie which basically spoiled all the main parts of Broly’s movie? That thing also came with a short animated content in the style of Shintani (it’s on YouTube for those who never saw it).

By the way, the new movie should release in 2022 according to the source.
Last edited by emperior on Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm going to be honest.

Let's get this out of the way: The Goku-Broly fusion sounds retarded.

Anyway, I hate the Tsufurian concept, simply because it's too simplistic. The Saiyans butchered COUNTLESS SPECIES, so why is it that the Tsufurians are always the only ones who seek revenge in these kind of stories?

I'd prefer if it wasn't just a Tsufurian who sought revenge, but a coalition of the survivors of all species that were in one way or another hurt by the Saiyans's savagery. That'd make the story way more interesting in my opinion and would present a more varied cast of villains.

I also didn't like Baby as a character because he was way too generic and shallow. He's just another generic evil monster who wants to conquer the universe. Yawn. He could potentially be good if the writers painted him in a sympathetic/tragic way, but GT absolutely did not do that. The generic evil design and cartoonish evil voice definitely did not help.

But if Toriyama is handling him, I'd feel more reassured. Broly was also a generic evil monster in the hands of Toei, but in the hands of Toriyama he became a much more interesting character.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:14 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:05 pmThe movie is supposedly canonizing none other than Baby Vegeta. The cherry on the cake being that Broly gets Super Saiyan 4 and fuses with Goku to make what the source calls “Goly” though it’s uncertain if he’s just making up a name or not. If it was true, maybe in Japanese it would be “Gori” which would be a pun on Gorilla?
I've said for the longest time that other popular Toei concepts like Cooler and Ssj4 will eventually become canonized, so this doesn't surprise me. The fusion between Broly and Goku ? I didn't expect it, but with how impactful Gogeta was, it does make sense they'd want another fusion battle. This way thy get their cake and eat it too, they get their Goku fusion, as well as Vegeta as the "villain" of a movie. As crazy as this sounds, like with everything DB, I'm willing to give it a fair chance to see what they can do with it.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:11 pmBroly was a generic evil monster in the hands of Toei, but in the hands of Toriyama he became a much more interesting character.
When the fighting started he was more brainless than Toei's version.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:42 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:14 pm
emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:05 pmThe movie is supposedly canonizing none other than Baby Vegeta. The cherry on the cake being that Broly gets Super Saiyan 4 and fuses with Goku to make what the source calls “Goly” though it’s uncertain if he’s just making up a name or not. If it was true, maybe in Japanese it would be “Gori” which would be a pun on Gorilla?
I've said for the longest time that other popular Toei concepts like Cooler and Ssj4 will eventually become canonized, so this doesn't surprise me. The fusion between Broly and Goku ? I didn't expect it, but with how impactful Gogeta was, it does make sense they'd want another fusion battle. This way thy get their cake and eat it too, they get their Goku fusion, as well as Vegeta as the "villain" of a movie. As crazy as this sounds, like with everything DB, I'm willing to give it a fair chance to see what they can do with it.
Don’t get the wrong idea. This might be the n-th time that someone tries to throw shit to a wall to see what sticks.

But the fact it’s coming from someone who rarely talks about DB makes it worth reporting in my opinion.

We know for certain that DB’s movies rights are now Disney’s too, and we know for a fact that a movie has been in the plans as confirmed by Akio Iyoku a while ago.

There are also other rumors, some of which come from this very same source (and other ones) about Disney also producing live action movies/series of DB. It doesn’t sound that unlikely considering how One Piece is getting one on Netflix.
They say they have casted Simu Liu as Goku and Henry Golding as Vegeta.

I don’t know what to make of this stuff, but it personally intrigues me, whether it is true or not.

And the Super movie rumor is so insanely weird that I doubt someone who mainly focuses on Hollywood movies would make it up on purpose.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:45 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:42 pmDon’t get the wrong idea. This might be the n-th time that someone tries to throw shit to a wall to see what sticks.
I agree. I'm not taking it as fact, I'm just saying that based on the direction of the franchise, something like this wouldn't surprise me. I'd say there's less than a 50% chance of this being true though. I do however expect these concepts to be used eventually, whether in a movie or arc.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:45 pm
emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:42 pmDon’t get the wrong idea. This might be the n-th time that someone tries to throw shit to a wall to see what sticks.
I agree. I'm not taking it as fact, I'm just saying that based on the direction of the franchise, something like this wouldn't surprise me. I'd say there's less than a 50% chance of this being true though. I do however expect these concepts to be used eventually, whether in a movie or arc.
Yeah with the direction DB is taking it wouldn’t be surprising at all if they eventually convinced Toriyama to use those concepts. It seems like he’s quite out of ideas nowadays.

They also already hinted in the past that Broly may not be the only character that gets canonized by Toriyama.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:05 pm

The most commendable thing about all that is the fusion. Vegetto should have never appeared in Future Trunks saga, it should have been Gogeta for the theme behind it, or, if Potara had to be used, then Vegenks should've been chosen. Kafla was cool (if I can get over that ugly green-haired forms), but a fusion between Goku and Broly would be just a big thing too. Thought, "for some reason", Goku was only allowed to fuse with Vegeta and vice-versa.

I'll gladly take Baby, liked him and I want more of Tsufuru lore. But at the cost of rehashing the "Baby Vegeta" concept? Again, only if they delve more into their lore (and showing their war against the Saiyans, obviously, that's the most important thing), if not, it's pointless. Another (and this time cool) concept being brought back for nothing, basically the very same mistake that plagues Movie 15.

Also, Vegeta being affected is beyond overdone by now. Majin Vegeta, Baby Vegeta, Time Breaker Vegeta... Enough is enough, right? There has to be a limit somewhere in there.

Everything else can be discarded.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:53 pm

I don’t know about whether or not choosing Gogeta over Vegetto in the Future Trunks arc would have been the best choice.

Zamasu’s delusion that Gods are better than mortals is one of the main points of his character. Having Goku and Vegeta smack his face by using the very same tools that in Zamasu’s mind only Gods should be allowed to use doesn’t sound unthematic. It’s also funny how in the manga Vegetto himself points out Zamasu’s delusion, as the potara has a time limit for Zamasu too as he was never made a formal Kaioshin.

Also, the fight was never about “mortals using only mortals powers/tools” as both Goku and Vegeta used godly forms, so I fail to see where the theme of having Goku and Vegeta use the fusion dance, only to then fight in Blue form, would be.
Maybe the real problem is how out of place Gowasu and Kaioshin felt in the anime once they arrived to the future, to the point their presence telegraphed they were there just to hand out the potaras. In the manga their presence is much more organic. They actually help a lot more and are vital to the plot, as they save Future Trunks and Mai and in turn Future Trunks heals Goku up, only after learning he has the power to do so by talking with the Kaioshins and by realizing how he used that power to save Gowasu.

The fact the Kaioshins are there to support Goku, Vegeta and Trunks in any way they can is also another proof of how wrong Zamasu was. He’s never treated like anything but a lunatic which has to be stopped at all costs. And Gods help all throughout the arc, so it makes sense they would also help in the final fight by giving the potara to Goku.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:38 pm

these "leaks" sound super fake, is like someone took 5 min to look at whats happening in the fandom today, and then he made up something on the fly to make a video.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:05 pm

precita wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:10 pm While it's too bad the anime is dead, I am surprised the manga is still going. You would think that would go on hiatus too since I doubt it actually makes them much money.
Well no, because one is not related to the other. So I see no reason for the manga to go on hiatus if its own story just like the anime.
Super ended in March 2018, come March 2021 the anime will have been over for 3 years. Really surprised they're leaving such a big gap.
You call that a "big" gap? Please, we waited 18 years from GT end to Super first episode, 3 years is nothing. Also unlike that time it’s not like we’re in a "drought" of content, Super DB Heroes announced a new arc so was Toyotaro manga. Just be thankful for what we got and that it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:16 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:38 pm these "leaks" sound super fake, is like someone took 5 min to look at whats happening in the fandom today, and then he made up something on the fly to make a video.
Most likely, yeah. I think that all of these "leaks" and "suggestions" about Baby becoming canon are ignoring one simple thing: Toriyama is clearly not interested in the Tsufurians.

The Saiyans vs. Tsufurians backstory is anime filler (I think, at least for the most part).

The Z movie involving the Tsufurian scientist is Toei filler.

GT is Toei filler.

Toriyama is clearly not interested in the concept of the Tsufurians, which is why I doubt he will ever give them a major role in canon Dragon Ball. This comment might age very badly if Granola turns out to be a Tsufurian, but oh well. If Toriyama changed his mind so be it, but the track record is looking in my favour.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:20 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:16 pm
YamiGoku wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:38 pm these "leaks" sound super fake, is like someone took 5 min to look at whats happening in the fandom today, and then he made up something on the fly to make a video.
Most likely, yeah. I think that all of these "leaks" and "suggestions" about Baby becoming canon are ignoring one simple thing: Toriyama is clearly not interested in the Tsufurians.

The Saiyans vs. Tsufurians backstory is anime filler.

The Z movie involving the Tsufurian scientist is Toei filler.

GT is Toei filler.

Toriyama is clearly not interested in the concept of the Tsufurians, which is why I doubt he will ever give them a major role in canon Dragon Ball. This comment might age very badly if Granola turns out to be a Tsufurian, but oh well. If Toriyama changed his mind so be it, but the track record is looking in my favour.
Toriyama created the concept behind the Tsufruians and drew concept art for their inclusion in the anime.
Planet Plant is a difficult planet to live on, as its gravity is unusually strong. However, two races live here. The majority of the inhabitants of Planet Plant are Tsufruians. Their bodies are small, but knowledge-wise they have a comparatively advanced culture and civilization. The other race has an unusually small population, but their bodies are large and strong. They are a primitive, warlike race called the Saiyans. Their biggest distinguishing characteristic is that they have tails, and every one of them seems to be a warrior.

[Picture of Tsufruians, with scouter and blaster gun, labeled “Tsufruian”. We see a colored version of this guy in DBZ episode 20 when Kaio introduces the Tsufruians] Due to the heavy gravity, they are about half as big as the Saiyans.

[arrow pointing to scouter on Tsufruian's head] This scouter, for instance, and other such things were originally Tsufruian inventions.

[picture of three caveman-like Saiyans, all three of which ended up appearing in Kaio’s flashback] The Saiyans of long ago

[picture of the Saiyans’ rocky housing] The housing area that the ancient Saiyans lived in (perhaps more varied shapes might be good?
He had about as much involvement with the Tsufruians as he did with Broly.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:20 pm Toriyama created the concept behind the Tsufruians and drew concept art for their inclusion in the anime.
I am not saying that he had nothing to do with the Tsufurians, but that’s just concept art and a rought outline of said conflict. Did they get as much screentime in the Z manga flashbacks as they did in the Z anime (where there is a whole flashback sequence about their conflict with the Saiyans?).

As for Broly, well, it is pretty obvious that Broly is way more popular than the Tsufurians. If we are speculating based on popularity alone, then the next movie will be about Cooler or Janemba lol.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:09 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:53 pmI don’t know about whether or not choosing Gogeta over Vegetto in the Future Trunks arc would have been the best choice.

Zamasu’s delusion that Gods are better than mortals is one of the main points of his character. Having Goku and Vegeta smack his face by using the very same tools that in Zamasu’s mind only Gods should be allowed to use doesn’t sound unthematic. It’s also funny how in the manga Vegetto himself points out Zamasu’s delusion, as the potara has a time limit for Zamasu too as he was never made a formal Kaioshin.

Also, the fight was never about “mortals using only mortals powers/tools” as both Goku and Vegeta used godly forms, so I fail to see where the theme of having Goku and Vegeta use the fusion dance, only to then fight in Blue form, would be.
I understand that and surprisingly... I even agree too, never saw it from this perspective. But this is Dragon Ball Super we're talking about, so even if things aren't as much thematic as we (well, I) thought, theme be damned but Gogeta would still be a better choice, it's then Metamoru against Potara for the first time.

Also, what good was Vegetto? Just to say that Zamasu was right and that mortals love to imitate the gods? If that's the case, then enters the second and last option: Vegenks. A new fused character, because we don't need to see Vegetto again and because no law was established that states just Goku and Vegeta can fuse. For a change, it's nice to have other things too, and Vegenks fits here better too.
emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:53 pmMaybe the real problem is how out of place Gowasu and Kaioshin felt in the anime once they arrived to the future, to the point their presence telegraphed they were there just to hand out the potaras.
Most certainly. I complained about that a lot back then. Kaioshin of East (and Gowasu) was clearly there just to hand over his earrings. Talk about terrible, terrible writing.
Yuji wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:20 pmToriyama created the concept behind the Tsufruians and drew concept art for their inclusion in the anime. He had about as much involvement with the Tsufruians as he did with Broly.
Curiously, Toriyama mentions them in one of the 2014 interviews. He may have not forgotten about them, after all.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:12 am

The biggest issue I have with bringing back an old concept is that I'm afraid it'll end up like RF and Broly, where despite having some high points, they're still not as good as their original counterparts (in this case the Namek arc and Broly's first Z movie).
Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:05 pmAlso, Vegeta being affected is beyond overdone by now. Majin Vegeta, Baby Vegeta, Time Breaker Vegeta... Enough is enough, right? There has to be a limit somewhere in there.
Don't forget Oren Vegeta from Heroes. I definitely agree the concept is way overused at this point, so if Baby were to become "canon" I'd just remove that ability all together and give him his own identity instead of linking it to Vegeta.
YamiGoku wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:38 pmthese "leaks" sound super fake, is like someone took 5 min to look at whats happening in the fandom today, and then he made up something on the fly to make a video.
That's what anyone would've said if the idea of a canonized Broly was brought up 5 years ago.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:16 pmI think that all of these "leaks" and "suggestions" about Baby becoming canon are ignoring one simple thing: Toriyama is clearly not interested in the Tsufurians.
He wasn't interested in Broly either. Toriyama's overall role has been to take concepts suggested to him and turn them into full stories, and Baby is a concept with a lot of room (and potential $$$) to work with.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:04 am

If they do decide to merge stuff from GT and Super, if they do decide to do their own version of the Baby arc, then I want them to find a way to have Vegeta sport a mustache at some point during the movie. Maybe new!Baby-Vegeta grows one. Maybe it's a thing Vegeta himself tries at the beginning of the film; I don't care which one, but if they have to continue recycling stories, recycle the mustache too.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!