How many of Toriyama's other works take place in the Dragon World?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

How many of Toriyama's other works take place in the Dragon World?

Post by Yuji » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:31 pm

Jaco is an explicit prequel, Neko Majin (Z) an explicit sequel, and Dragon Ball crosses over with Dr. Slump in one of its story arcs. What about Toriyama's other manga, however? If I'm not mistaken, "Zeni" are mentioned in Toriyama's Kintoki. Jiya also makes an appearance in Dragon Ball Super's manga (and the concept of the Galactic Patrol was there firstly mentioned), and a character that strongly resembles Dabra appears in Sand Land.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: How many of Toriyama's other works take place in the Dragon World?

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:37 pm

My personal "headcanon" is that all of them do, even if on 'Universe 6' Earth or one of the other 5 Parallel Realities.

If you're looking for an actual contribution, I guess you could probably add Sachie-Chan GOOD!! as another piece belonging to the general 'Galactic Patrol' canon of Toriyama works (I may be mistaken, but I think that work is the earliest one where the Galactic Patrol is mentioned and featured - the Octo are obviously the race the Galactic King comes from, too).

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:00 am

All of them and I base this on absolutely nothing.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:44 am

Didn't the titular protagonist of his "Tomato" manga make a cameo in the Dragon Ball anime?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:27 am

It's fun to draw connections, especially with the number of character-design cameos between various works, but the most honest answer I can give is: only Jaco, with explicit, seamless continuity, and Neko Majin and Dr. Slump with somewhat hazier/more dubious continuity.

Even the Katsura/Toriyama Galactic Patrol duology have little issues that prevent them from aligning with Jaco, winding up being prototypes of a concept introduced into main DB continuity through that series.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:02 am

I sure hope that "Kintoki" does because Granolah looks pretty similar to him and I've enjoyed that manga plenty :P

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Neko Majin (Z) is an interesting one because - where it was previously regarded as some partial DB parody rather than something people thought would have adhered to the manga's continuity - it's now plausibly a legitimate sequel due to events that have already transpired in Super. Nobody would have expected Freeza to become this lingering force in DB's cast, as Neko Majin would imply, but he actually does.

But to answer the topic, and to echo Cipher's post, only Jaco, Neko Majin and Dr. Slump have explicit connections to Dragon Ball. The others either have no clear connection or an even more damning combination of no connection and multiple contradictions. I'd definitely not consider Sachie-Chan or Jiya a part of DB's world, despite the overarching Galactic Patrol motif, but who knows if Kintoki might fit somewhere?
Formerly Marlowe89.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:34 pm

As mentioned, only Dr Slump, Jaco and Neko Majin do for certain. I think the contradictions can be ignored like with Dr Slump, but without a cameo we cant say the others do for sure. I headcanon most of them do.

Wonder Island, Tomato, Pola&Roid have cameos with Dr Slump, Dr Slump with DB, DB with Neko Majin and Jaco, Jaco with Kintoki, and DBS with Cashman. Additionally, DBS has a galactic patrolman similar in design to Jiya and the ones in Sachie-chan; and Cowa!, SandLand Ackman have characters similar in design to Dabra. Others like Kajika and Alien X-Peke dont have cameos, but I think they also fit.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Doesn't he also reuse the designs of those generic Tech-Tech aliens in like 80% of his modern works? You could do a few six-degrees based off that alone.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:42 pm

I always feel like that they take place in their own dimension because you had the Earth destroyed in Dr. Slump and yet is back to normal the next page. Same goes with Neko Majin because I doubt Vegeta would ever go back to working for Freeza again.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/