Johnny Yong Bosch Replaces Vic Mignogna as Broly.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Johnny Yong Bosch Replaces Vic Mignogna as Broly.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:10 pm

Effective inmediately. I want to share links but cant find any

On unrelated news...WOW! I have always thought Johnny was the equivalent to Argentina's Alejandro Graue and more and more it seem like I was right. He plays most of Johnny's roles including redub Broly!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Re: Johnny Yong Bosch Replaces Vic Mignogna as Broly.

Post by John Pannozzi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:14 pm

Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:23 pm

Cool. Neat they’re even going to have him redub the Super Broccoli movie.

DBPirate

Post by DBPirate » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:28 pm

The decision to redub the movie is a good one. If they're going to have a new actor, I appreciate the consistency.
Favorite sagas: Tien Shinhan (DB), Frieza (Z), Future Trunks (Super)
Favorite characters: Frieza, Future Trunks, Beerus, Android 17, Zamasu, Gohan

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:31 pm

DBPirate wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:28 pm The decision to redub the movie is a good one. If they're going to have a new actor, I appreciate the consistency.

Now if only Funimation would redub the last 3 Dragon Ball movies to be consistent with Curse of the Blood Rubies 2010

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:58 pm

Great news to start the new year on. I despised the behavior of you-know-who. I hated how he got the opportunity to meet Legendary Voice Actors like Masako Nozawa shortly before Broly's premiere, and then he came on the stage acting like a clown, showing utter disrespect.

Where is all his defense force now at? Them, who said there is no proof and Funimation will be going under?? This outcome was obvious from the start.

No, you don't need to show 'proof' on Twitter, it was shown in court - where it counts. Hilarious some thought that Monica's only argument against him was some jelly bean.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:01 pm

I don’t really see the point of this, but whatever.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:04 pm

Zinnia wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:58 pm Hilarious some thought that Monica's only argument against him was some jelly bean.
I had second hand embarrassment over that. There’s selective memory and then....that

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:05 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:01 pm I don’t really see the point of this, but whatever.
Make loser Dick Lasagna irrelevant

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:05 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:01 pm I don’t really see the point of this, but whatever.
I personally don’t like the idea of trying to erase the past. It’s one thing to do this with Scott Freeman, since that guy was actually convicted of sex crimes, but when it comes to Vic Mignogna, I don’t think keeping his previous work intact is going to hurt FUNimation’s image or anything. Besides, are they only redubbing the latest movie?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:35 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:11 pm
I personally don’t like the idea of trying to erase the past. It’s one thing to do this with Scott Freeman, since that guy was actually convicted of sex crimes, but when it comes to Vic Mignogna, I don’t think keeping his previous work intact is going to hurt FUNimation’s image or anything. Besides, are they only redubbing the latest movie?
We’re talking about a company that does nothing but revisionist history. Replacing a creepy sexual predator is pretty mild in comparison.

HokutoNanto519

Post by HokutoNanto519 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:41 pm

Incoherent argument, through and through. Vic Mignogna has a documented history of his actions.

Other than that, Mignogna is just one replaceable actor in a rather long line of replaceable ones (yes, I think the dub doesn't cut the mustard in the slightest).
"When all these bland Marvel Comics franchise movies blur together in memory, it won't prove that they amounted to one great epic master narrative, but that they're all indistinguishable". - Armond White on "Captain America: The First Avenger," 2011.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:52 pm

HokutoNanto519 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:41 pm

Incoherent argument, through and through. Vic Mignogna has a documented history of his actions.

Other than that, Mignogna is just one replaceable actor in a rather long line of replaceable ones (yes, I think the dub doesn't cut the mustard in the slightest).
Not sure how it’s an incoherent argument. Normally, when a company does something like this, it’s to avoid bad PR, not because of moral reasons. The simple fact is that the majority of people in the anime community seem to either be on Mignogna’s side, or don’t care for the drama one way or the other. Because of that, replacing him in older stuff that he already worked in just seems pointless. If anything, this is just going to amplify the hatred that FUNimation has already amassed ever since they fired the guy in the first place.

I understand that the overwhelming consensus on this forum is that Mignogna got what he deserved, but Kanzenshuu does not comprise the majority of FUNimation’s audience.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:58 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:52 pm I understand that the overwhelming consensus on this forum is that Mignogna got what he deserved,
He objectively deserved to be fired for his behavior, correct
but Kanzenshuu does not comprise the majority of FUNimation’s audience.
The majority of the audience does not care about
Dick Lasagna and wouldn’t know him from Adam. If Funimation is willing to redub him it’s not a loss.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:58 pm The majority of the audience does not care about
Dick Lasagna and wouldn’t know him from Adam. If Funimation is willing to redub him it’s not a loss.
It doesn’t really seem like a gain from a financial or PR perspective either. As I said, firing the guy actually generated a lot of bad PR for FUNimation. Whether justified or not, the company’s reputation took a pretty big hit from that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:09 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:06 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:58 pm The majority of the audience does not care about
It doesn’t really seem like a gain from a financial or PR perspective either. As I said, firing the guy actually generated a lot of bad PR for FUNimation. Whether justified or not, the company’s reputation took a pretty big hit from that.

It really didn’t. A bunch of misogynistic turbo nerds incels getting upset didn’t impact them nearly as much as you seem to think it did.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:12 pm

Ooooh, awesome! Will they be re-issuing Blu-Rays with a revised dub? Would certainly like to buy that so I can watch the movie guilt-free.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:18 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:09 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:06 pm

It really didn’t. A bunch of misogynistic turbo nerds incels getting upset didn’t impact them nearly as much as you seem to think it did.
I’ve seen plenty of women who have expressed anger at FUNimation for the whole thing as well, and people like Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel have had to private their Twitter accounts on several occasions, just to avoid all the trolling they’ve faced. Even on Twitter, it seems like the KickVic crowd is now in the minority when compared to the people who think FUNimation did him dirty.

I’m not saying the situation has financially crippled FUNimation, but it seemed to do them more harm than good in the long run. That’s why I don’t see how redubbing his previous work is going to accomplish much of anything. It just seems like a waste of time. Still, I suppose it’s their money.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:21 pm

Again a majority of their consumers don’t regularly engage in online discourse. Dick Lasagna’s misogynistic fanboys are nothing but a loud minority that can’t tie their shoes

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:25 pm

You are correct about the online discourse thing, which is why I said that this situation hasn’t exactly crippled FUNimation. I’m just saying that it unfortunately didn’t seem to do them any favors either.