Johnny Yong Bosch Replaces Vic Mignogna as Broly.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Johnny Yong Bosch Replaces Vic Mignogna as Broly.

Post by Ajay » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:27 pm

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:23 pm Cool. Neat they’re even going to have him redub the Super Broccoli movie.
Oh no, not the legendary performance of Vic as Broly. With such impactful lines as "REEEAAARRRGHH".
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:44 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:25 pm You are correct about the online discourse thing, which is why I said that this situation hasn’t exactly crippled FUNimation. I’m just saying that it unfortunately didn’t seem to do them any favors either.
Again WHY do you think it matters. If they can erase a sexual predator’s performance with no real backlash then why not?

And again don’t give me the “erasing the past” bullshit from a company that has done nothing but that

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm not gonna really get into the arguing parts of this or that because of this decision. But I wonder if the price of the original Broly movies and the new Broly movie with his voicing will go out of print and skyrocket in price? I mean, I'm not a scalper or anything but was just generally curious. :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Ajay wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:27 pm https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1338 ... 21345?s=19

Not redubbed in the movie.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:44 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:25 pm You are correct about the online discourse thing, which is why I said that this situation hasn’t exactly crippled FUNimation. I’m just saying that it unfortunately didn’t seem to do them any favors either.
Again WHY do you think it matters. If they can erase a sexual predator’s performance with no real backlash then why not?

And again don’t give me the “erasing the past” bullshit from a company that has done nothing but that
I don’t think it matters. I just think it’s pointless. Then again, according to Terez’ tweet, they’re maybe not redubbing him anyway?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:03 pm

I honestly think Liam O'Brien would've been a better replacement.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:30 pm

Agh. Do I have to buy this shit again?

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:57 am

Now with The Bosch replacing Vic McNuggets, maybe Jason DeMarco will finally air the dub of Dragon Ball Super: Broly on Toonami.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:13 am

Realistically, i just don't see FUNi going back and retroactively redubbing Broly in the original three movies even with the controversy over Vic's actions and the termination of his VA contracts there last year. If they aren't going to revise movies that have god awful dumpster fire dubs such as Sleeping Princess which was done all the way back in 1998 then there's no reason to assume that they are going to expend effort redoing Broly's dialogue (whatever bits he does have over DBZ movies 8, 10, and 11 plus DBS: Broly) so Bosch is indeed the new voice for the character going forward for future projects franchise wise, but really don't hold your breath on the older material with Vic's voice being wiped away.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:06 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:13 am Realistically, i just don't see FUNi going back and retroactively redubbing Broly in the original three movies even with the controversy over Vic's actions and the termination of his VA contracts there last year. If they aren't going to revise movies that have god awful dumpster fire dubs such as Sleeping Princess which was done all the way back in 1998 then there's no reason to assume that they are going to expend effort redoing Broly's dialogue (whatever bits he does have over DBZ movies 8, 10, and 11 plus DBS: Broly) so Bosch is indeed the new voice for the character going forward for future projects franchise wise, but really don't hold your breath on the older material with Vic's voice being wiped away.
Yeah. I agree but! I bet if the movies got a rerelease(I doubt highly dragonboxes here) that they may just go ahead and do it then? maybe?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:47 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:06 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:13 am Realistically, i just don't see FUNi going back and retroactively redubbing Broly in the original three movies even with the controversy over Vic's actions and the termination of his VA contracts there last year. If they aren't going to revise movies that have god awful dumpster fire dubs such as Sleeping Princess which was done all the way back in 1998 then there's no reason to assume that they are going to expend effort redoing Broly's dialogue (whatever bits he does have over DBZ movies 8, 10, and 11 plus DBS: Broly) so Bosch is indeed the new voice for the character going forward for future projects franchise wise, but really don't hold your breath on the older material with Vic's voice being wiped away.
Yeah. I agree but! I bet if the movies got a rerelease(I doubt highly dragonboxes here) that they may just go ahead and do it then? maybe?
Who knows? I mean it's possible they could but i'm not betting on it actually happening even though Sleeping Princess and Mystical Adventure in particular are the movies really in need of new dubs most of all because the old ones are 20+ year old hot garbage.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:19 pm

If they re-dub the Super movie (is that confirmed ?), then I wonder if they'll go a step further and re-dub the older Z Broly movies and even other projects he worked on outside of DB.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:54 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:19 pm If they re-dub the Super movie (is that confirmed ?), then I wonder if they'll go a step further and re-dub the older Z Broly movies and even other projects he worked on outside of DB.
I don't believe that's been absolutely confirmed, though even then i don't really see them extending redubs to the old Broly movies and other VA roles of his.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:36 pm

I was a strong advocate of booting McNuggets from the industry, myself, and I'm glad he's no longer associated with Funimation. However, I don't take issue with the movie not getting redubbed. I think that depends entirely on how comfortable one would feel separating the art from the artist's misdeeds, and I totally understand where others are coming from.

But make no mistake, I'd love to see JYB doing more voice work as Broly. Unfortunately, video games are just about the only avenue I can foresee for this unless Toriyama and Toyotaro decide to bring his character back into the mainline story.
Formerly Marlowe89.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:09 am

Side-bar: would love Bosch to do his own version of Dragon Soul so that there's a great version of the song again. :lol:

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:25 am

Kind of sucks this man's reputation was ruined over lies and rumors.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:54 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:19 pm If they re-dub the Super movie (is that confirmed ?), then I wonder if they'll go a step further and re-dub the older Z Broly movies and even other projects he worked on outside of DB.
I don't believe that's been absolutely confirmed, though even then i don't really see them extending redubs to the old Broly movies and other VA roles of his.
That's the thing. If Funimation were to redub Mignogna as Broly they would have to redub everything else he's worked on, like Edward Eric in the entirety of Fullmetal Alchemist and all the other titles they cast him on, which would be a lot of work and money on their part that I doubt they could make a return on.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:31 am

Johnny replaced him a year ago, why is this "news".

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:14 am

DBPirate wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:28 pm The decision to redub the movie is a good one. If they're going to have a new actor, I appreciate the consistency.
Probably just his lines right?