Dragon Ball Episode of Bardock - Ten Years.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Dragon Ball Episode of Bardock - Ten Years.

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 am

I figured that since I made a thread celebrating Tarble OVA's tenth anniversary (three years ago!), I should do one for this OVA too.

Yep, you read that title right. It has been ten years since Bardock was made the Legendary Super Saiyan (for Freeza's race knowledge). He debuted in Dragon Ball Heroes - OM5, released in July 2011, and Ooishi Naho was in charge of doing a three-chapter manga at the same time. At the end of that same year, at Jump Festa '12, an anime adaptation was released.

I would generally ask what you think of it, but honestly, I think I know everyone's opinions on it by now. So this thread is more for the new members that joined Kanzenshuu recently to have their opportunity to express what they think about this OVA, if they want, that is. Of course, if you're veteran and still want to say something, go for it. If you changed your view, let us know too!

Feeling old yet?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Episode of Bardock - Ten Years.

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:55 am

At this point everyone's ripped this to shreds, so I want to talk about the 2 things it did right. I really liked the actual transformation sequence and the beat down Chilled received. Both of these were handled extremely well. Despite the idea being terrible, it was still a special occasion for fans as this was among the very few new animated material the franchise received after GT.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 am

I want to take the opportunity here to say:
The fact that Bardock had actually travelled back in time means that he created his own timeline that split from the main one. Therefore, Bardock's SSJ transformation would not actually inspire the SSJ legend of the main timelines, because Bardock is stuck in the one he made by accident, thus rendering the WHOLE REASON why this special was made POINTLESS.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:46 am

I feel like the Episode of Bardock was kind of killed off by Minus and then Broly. It's clear that the Bardock featured in the OVA was the same as the one who appeared in the TV special.

Looking back at it, I guess it was just a fun little side story. I'm a lot less mad at it now than back then, to be honest.

I'm so glad that even though Bardock still continues to be a thing (with Minus, Xenoverse 2, Broly), that officially, he wasn't written into the main story somehow. I get the fans' fascination with Goku's father, but there would be no feasible way to bring him into the fold and not seem ultra fanficish.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:58 am

Ah Episode of Bardock the only thing preventing Dragon Ball Minus from being the worst Bardock related thing.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:51 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:58 am Ah Episode of Bardock the only thing preventing Dragon Ball Minus from being the worst Bardock related thing.
Minus may have made more sense plotwise, but the damages it did were a bit too much...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:59 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:51 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:58 am Ah Episode of Bardock the only thing preventing Dragon Ball Minus from being the worst Bardock related thing.
Minus may have made more sense plotwise, but the damages it did were a bit too much...
What damage did it do exactly?

Aside from being made the backstory in one Dragon Ball movie (albeit the most financially successful one) it really didn’t have any long term effect.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:06 am

Wow, can't believe it's been 10 years since this special came out. Though of course it's always felt like an alternate fan fiction type piece to me given the whole idea of Bardock somehow being sent back further in time by Freeza's energy ball instead of dying like in the 1990 special and implausibly becoming a Super Saiyan against one of Freeza's predecessors in the past.

DB Minus was at least a little less fan fiction-y compared to this, even though it still of course has plenty of it's own flaws that have been discussed at length already.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:17 am

Ten year, quite a long time.

My view on the special hasn't change much, it still remains a bad story but in the whole grand scheme of the franchise it's just a harmless product with little impact on the franchise, one of the few redeeming things from Episode of Bardock.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:12 am

10 years later, i still absolutely hate it. While it followed the same old Bardock personality and design which i prefer over DB Minus/DBS version any time, it was just awful. Short, stupid plot and just TERRIBLE villain. While i enjoy DBH itself giving people crazy forms, i mean who would've thought this guy will eventually get even SSJ4, it doesn't work as OVA at all as it clearly try to be something like official sequel of old Bardock special and caused many people to actually think it is canon to that special.

While not being a fan of DB Minus story and DBS: Broly movie in general, that movie did refresh Bardock much better than the trash EoB is.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:44 am

Until Super came along, this was the single worst, stupidest, most unnecessary piece of Dragon Ball media to exist. Nothing about it is worthwhile, carries any meaning, or does anything interesting, and along the way it also portrayed Bardock in the least-interesting light possible, leaning more to his now-deprecated mercenary characterisation (and in doing so, acting as a sequel to the original masterpiece of a Bardock special) but softening that and glorifying him into a hero, completely missing the point of the very thing it's acting as a sequel to.

The fact it has never been easily available to westerners is no loss at all, and I hope it continues to be an obscurity known only to the more hardcore fans.

If you want to watch one of the more obscure pieces of animated Dragon Ball media, go watch the 2008 OVA instead; it's basically an abbreviated (superior) version of Battle of Gods that does a far better job of leaning into and embracing its nature as a disposable little reunion special for the sake of just having some fun with these characters who used to be in a popular show ten years prior. Plus it used the Kikuchi music library for its score!
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:44 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:44 am Until Super came along, this was the single worst, stupidest, most unnecessary piece of Dragon Ball media to exist. Nothing about it is worthwhile, carries any meaning, or does anything interesting, and along the way it also portrayed Bardock in the least-interesting light possible, leaning more to his now-deprecated mercenary characterisation (and in doing so, acting as a sequel to the original masterpiece of a Bardock special) but softening that and glorifying him into a hero, completely missing the point of the very thing it's acting as a sequel to.

The fact it has never been easily available to westerners is no loss at all, and I hope it continues to be an obscurity known only to the more hardcore fans.

If you want to watch one of the more obscure pieces of animated Dragon Ball media, go watch the 2008 OVA instead; it's basically an abbreviated (superior) version of Battle of Gods that does a far better job of leaning into and embracing its nature as a disposable little reunion special for the sake of just having some fun with these characters who used to be in a popular show ten years prior. Plus it used the Kikuchi music library for its score!
Definitely agree, the JSAT special is by far the best of the non movie animated material from the last decade plus, hands down better than either Episode of Bardock or Minus.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:51 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:55 amI want to talk about the 2 things it did right. I really liked the actual transformation sequence and the beat down Chilled received. Both of these were handled extremely well.
Agreed. I'd argue the transformation sequence is right up there with Goku's and Trunks's. It's amazing that Toei actually managed to achieve a well paced scene, not too long, but also not too short, given its nineteen minutes long. Probably my favorite thing is the hair flashing black and yellow, love that detail.
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 am I want to take the opportunity here to say:
The fact that Bardock had actually travelled back in time means that he created his own timeline that split from the main one. Therefore, Bardock's SSJ transformation would not actually inspire the SSJ legend of the main timelines, because Bardock is stuck in the one he made by accident, thus rendering the WHOLE REASON why this special was made POINTLESS.
It doesn't necessarily mean that. There are things that prevent the creation of a timeline, like Whis' rewind time ability and the time machines from the Time Patrol... It's possible that Bardock was sent back in time by someone or something else using whatever that can prevent another timeline.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:46 amI feel like the Episode of Bardock was kind of killed off by Minus and then Broly. It's clear that the Bardock featured in the OVA was the same as the one who appeared in the TV special.
It may be just me but I see him in this OVA in the process of transition. It does start as the Bardock from the TV Special, but then he slowly proceeds to become Online/Minus Bardock. The OVA ends without completing that transition, of course, but I think if it got a sequel, we would see more of that, probably.

In the manga Bardock even smiles to the Plantseijins. I don't see TV Special Bardock doing that.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:46 amI'm so glad that even though Bardock still continues to be a thing (with Minus, Xenoverse 2, Broly), that officially, he wasn't written into the main story somehow.
Well, there's always Dragon Ball Online for that.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:46 amI get the fans' fascination with Goku's father, but there would be no feasible way to bring him into the fold and not seem ultra fanficish.
We already have to deal with a lot of "ultra fanficish" these days, so...

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:38 pm

2011 does not feel like a long time ago to me. I like the idea of a Dragon Ball What If series similar to Marvel's What If comics. However, Episode of Bardock was really bad. It was animated bad fan fiction that is made to promote Dragon Ball Heroes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:42 pm

Wow, crazy to think how different the landscape of the franchise was 10 years ago. I always kind of got a kick out of this special. It gave me some of the same good feelings as the mid-series movies. The promotional anime from the last couple of years gives me the same vibe now.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:40 am

Super Saiyan Bardock was the most savage guy in the series, I don't care if it makes no sense. He was legitimately goddamn cool.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:52 pm

It really saved Minus from coming in last in the franchise. I've tried, but never could come up with such a lame, laughable villain.

I'm all for turning off your brain to enjoy certain stuff, but with this one I think turning off your brain isn't enough, and to fully enjoy it you have to also turn off the device where you're playing it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:04 pm

MrSatan2099 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:42 pm Wow, crazy to think how different the landscape of the franchise was 10 years ago. I always kind of got a kick out of this special. It gave me some of the same good feelings as the mid-series movies. The promotional anime from the last couple of years gives me the same vibe now.
nickzambuto wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:40 am Super Saiyan Bardock was the most savage guy in the series, I don't care if it makes no sense. He was legitimately goddamn cool.
Hey, some positive comments! Rarely can we get some of those for this OVA.

nickzambuto, aside from Bardock going back in time (though you can come up with hundreds of explanations, and officially there's one from XV2), I don't see anything else that "makes no sense". If you could tell us about it, it'd be cool to discuss it.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:31 pm

There's a few tidbits of nice animation but it is otherwise a terrible story.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:01 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:04 pm
MrSatan2099 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:42 pm Wow, crazy to think how different the landscape of the franchise was 10 years ago. I always kind of got a kick out of this special. It gave me some of the same good feelings as the mid-series movies. The promotional anime from the last couple of years gives me the same vibe now.
nickzambuto wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:40 am Super Saiyan Bardock was the most savage guy in the series, I don't care if it makes no sense. He was legitimately goddamn cool.
Hey, some positive comments! Rarely can we get some of those for this OVA.

nickzambuto, aside from Bardock going back in time (though you can come up with hundreds of explanations, and officially there's one from XV2), I don't see anything else that "makes no sense". If you could tell us about it, it'd be cool to discuss it.

Other people have gone into detail on this, but here are some thoughts.

1) Bardock goes back in time for literally no reason.
2) Bardock wasn't strong enough to become a Super Saiyan even with zenkai.
3) Bardock wasn't angry enough to become a Super Saiyan (unless he really loved that alien kid as much as Goku loved Krillin, which would also make no sense)
4) Vegeta said that the original Super Saiyan destroyed his planet and himself in the process.