"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:34 am

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:50 pm the difference is that both are in the same "group" ssj ... and since the ssj god as such is only to obtain "god ki" that any race can have with a training ... it was explained that goku and vegeta trained this as they explains it
They really are not. SSJ God has nothing to do with actual SSJ beside the name. It should've been just "Saiyan God" or something. Then just call "Super Saiyan God" what is known as "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan".
The same way SSJ4 has nothing to do with SSJ1-3 despite being called like it's just next evolution of those forms.
All three of them (SSJG, SSGSS, SSJ4) have dumb names.

But i don't see how Oozaru and SSJ can't mix. Why? Since they are different line of evolution, they actually SHOULD mix imo.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:45 am

New Manga Trailer (are those gonna be a monthly occurence now too?! :shock: )
https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1349997242430615559

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:26 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:45 am New Manga Trailer (are those gonna be a monthly occurence now too?! :shock: )
With all the prisoner/gang stuff going on, I wouldn't be surprised if a band of 'Bojack-like' pirates end up becoming the villains. Wouldn't mind if they introduced Herans actually. The more build-up for U7, the better. Hell, make North Kai relevant and have HIM narrate how deadly these guys can be. I'm kinda jumping the gun rn, but this is an interesting concept.
P O W E R

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:55 am

Well well well... the possibilites of 4 factions goinf at it (Goku and co, Freeza's army, Granolah and the Dread gang) going at it is interesting.

Could they be... Makaioshin? :shifty:
They seem awfully Demigra/Mechikabura/Hearts like... which, honestly, is way fucking overplayed. Another small gang of rascals, with a boss who's probably the main villain, right after the Moro arc? Bleh...
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:04 am

Draconic wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:55 am Well well well... the possibilites of 4 factions goinf at it (Goku and co, Freeza's army, Granolah and the Dread gang) going at it is interesting.

Could they be... Makaioshin? :shifty:
They seem awfully Demigra/Mechikabura/Hearts like... which, honestly, is way fucking overplayed. Another small gang of rascals, with a boss who's probably the main villain, right after the Moro arc? Bleh...
I'd imagine they will serve a secondary villain purpose, like Blueberry, then Moro's goons etc. But unlike say, Saganbo, or normal OG-73i, they may be a bit of a challenge for the main cast. Ooooor they may be mortal Merus' enemies so he can show us if he stil has it in him. Wouldn't mind this gang to be like Bojack's crew in terms of a challenge. Even if we kinda got something similar in the Moro arc already. I enjoy this type of enemies.

But I doubt they are Makaios or demons. Nah, Super is far from those concepts I'd say.
P O W E R

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:24 am

The whole thing look so incredibly randomish, filler-ish, not contextual that it look generated by random tables.

-Ok, roll on the encounter table.
-An android. Roll again.
-A cool tech guy. Roll again.
-A movie rip off. What's movie is left?
-Demons.
-Ok, demons. So, the cool guy go search the android to defeat the demons.
-Nice plot, but can we write something that tap on the MAIN CHARACTERS for once instead of introducing random stuff?
-You mean... actually writing? I never did it. I just created ripoffs of another manga. It wasn't required for me to learn writing.
-Kaizen.
-Kaizen the whole day, my friend.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:27 am

I certainly hope the 4 side villains have interesting abilities and are not just forgettable fodder so more characters maybe can have a chance at compelling fights but I won’t hold my breath

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:43 am

There's something weird going on with this smaller guy's left eye, watch him become more important than the group's leader.
unless it's just shading
Last edited by Xeogran on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:44 am

No...wait.

Pointy ears, goth dress, fangs collars.

They are not demons.

They are...

VAMPIRES

...and that could make Granola a space vampire hunter O_O.
Ok, now the thing IS interesting.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:45 am New Manga Trailer (are those gonna be a monthly occurence now too?! :shock: )
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't the first time we've seen those four "Bojack-esque" characters, is it? At the very least I could swear I've seen the middle guy, the one who seems to be the leader, before. But it's not very easy for me to go looking for it without a name to go with the face...
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Trek405

Post by Trek405 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 am

So if vegeta decided not to train with whis anymore and decided he doesn't want ultra instict after "training" for yrs with an angel then what is he even doing there? Is he just there to watch goku? People seem to like vegeta "going his own way" but what does that mean at this point? Will they finally expand on this at all or....?

Other than that I'm liking granolas' backstory so far and how it ties in with the saiyans and freeza who i assume will show up soon. The new guys designs are ok too.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:44 am

Trek405 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 am So if vegeta decided not to train with whis anymore and decided he doesn't want ultra instict after "training" for yrs with an angel then what is he even doing there? Is he just there to watch goku? People seem to like vegeta "going his own way" but what does that mean at this point? Will they finally expand on this at all or....?
Pretty sure he never suggested stopping training with Whis. He can still hone his skills with Whis as a teacher. Stepping aside so Whis can test MUI Goku may be a singular instance (one which makes sense since this happens after the Moro arc). Now correct me if I am wrong, but i didn't see any translations pointing towards Vegeta not staying on Beerus' planet.

As for how to train, Spirit Control may still have room for development, who knows, he may go after the destruction energy path as Toppo would do (being a candidate GoD). Although I doubt that anything Vegeta finds will be as good as MUI. and I believe he may realize that. That said, he simply remains like this (wanting to surpass Goku) just for motivation purposes? For all it's worth, Vegeta is right now far stronger than the point at which he was a possible GoD candidate for other universes (as per Beerus). He is already op basically. Just not as much as Goku.

Ah, also, he is obviously in the same league as Omen Goku right now, so that's nothing to sneeze at.
P O W E R

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 am

Toyo bout to make SSJ4 Vegeta cannon bois (this is based on zero info, but a man like me can dreeeeam). regarding the new bojack esque peeps I can see them be in conflict with Granola over 73 in some way.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 am

We're really going to have two serious DBS arcs in a row with new villains and no tournament in sight? About time! :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Trek405

Post by Trek405 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:07 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:44 am Pretty sure he never suggested stopping training with Whis. He can still hone his skills with Whis as a teacher. Stepping aside so Whis can test MUI Goku may be a singular instance (one which makes sense since this happens after the Moro arc). Now correct me if I am wrong, but i didn't see any translations pointing towards Vegeta not staying on Beerus' planet.
Well during his fight with jiren he said ultra instinct as well as "being taught anything by anyone" didn't suit him. Obviously he contradicted himself the next arc by training on yardrat but his back was basically against the wall.
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:44 am As for how to train, Spirit Control may still have room for development, who knows, he may go after the destruction energy path as Toppo would do (being a candidate GoD).
At this point just I'd take something, literally anything that shows a meaningful path forward instead of vague statements. Doesn't have to be this arc but sometime soon would he nice
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:44 am That said, he simply remains like this (wanting to surpass Goku) just for motivation purposes?
Yeah...that's what I'm afraid of.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:03 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:24 am The whole thing look so incredibly randomish, filler-ish, not contextual that it look generated by random tables.

-Ok, roll on the encounter table.
-An android. Roll again.
-A cool tech guy. Roll again.
-A movie rip off. What's movie is left?
-Demons.
-Ok, demons. So, the cool guy go search the android to defeat the demons.
-Nice plot, but can we write something that tap on the MAIN CHARACTERS for once instead of introducing random stuff?
-You mean... actually writing? I never did it. I just created ripoffs of another manga. It wasn't required for me to learn writing.
-Kaizen.
-Kaizen the whole day, my friend.
What I'm afraid of the most is that Goku and co are already icon, a fixed image in the mind of the people. Kind of like Superman or Batman. They will always rehash the same problematic :
-Vegeta is prideful and easily angered
-Goku is an airhead and will drop his guard
-Krillin is afraid of fighting
-Beerus is always stronger
-Gohan will always be rusty
-Frieza is a Joker wannabe, an eternal villain they will put in a prison for him to break out again and again.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:04 pm

OrangeBanana wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 am Toyo bout to make SSJ4 Vegeta cannon bois (this is based on zero info, but a man like me can dreeeeam). regarding the new bojack esque peeps I can see them be in conflict with Granola over 73 in some way.
SSJ4 is already canon with Broly, no? Oozaru power in human form, then going Super Saiyan

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:22 pm

Trek405 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 am So if vegeta decided not to train with whis anymore and decided he doesn't want ultra instict after "training" for yrs with an angel then what is he even doing there? Is he just there to watch goku? People seem to like vegeta "going his own way" but what does that mean at this point? Will they finally expand on this at all or....?

Other than that I'm liking granolas' backstory so far and how it ties in with the saiyans and freeza who i assume will show up soon. The new guys designs are ok too.
There is NO POINT to it. He should just go back to planet Yardrat if he’s too arrogant and prideful to even try and master Ultra Instinct.. At least the Spirit Control training on Planet Yardrat is his very best bet! So what the hell is he doing on Beerus’ homeworld now with Whis and UI Goku???! This is just straight up BAD WRITING.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm

It's interesting that Granola seems to have a justified grudge against Freeza (something that Bebi from GT lacked) but I hope this isn't used as an excuse to overlook the Saiyans' involvement in the atrocities committed on his home world. I hope Bardock's appearance functions as more than a simple cameo and is instead the trigger for the conflict between Goku and Granola.

As some other users said, the prospect of a four-faction showdown between Granola, the new characters, Goku and Vegeta, and Freeza's force, is enticing. On paper, it looks like an ambitious arc.

I was somewhat confident that Goku would not keep Ultra Instinct, only his Sign form, that Toyotarou would backtrack and have Goku claim after the Moro arc that he truly hadn't mastered the form yet and did it on a fluke, much like the Tournament of Power. This is a pleasant surprise, but on the other hand I am now concerned over the possibility that Ultra Instinct's status may be undermined after all its build-up if these new opponents prove just as powerful.

I anticipate Goku will go down easily against Whis, but it stands the question of who would prevail in a battle between Goku and Beerus at this point. It seems odd that Toyotarou didn't take the chance to portray that fight considering how long the manga has been building up to their rematch, but perhaps he has bigger plans for exploring their dynamic in the future.

I am cautiously optimistic and very interested.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:55 pm

EGonzo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:04 pm
OrangeBanana wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 am Toyo bout to make SSJ4 Vegeta cannon bois (this is based on zero info, but a man like me can dreeeeam). regarding the new bojack esque peeps I can see them be in conflict with Granola over 73 in some way.
SSJ4 is already canon with Broly, no? Oozaru power in human form, then going Super Saiyan
Well, technically, GT's SS4 is Super Saiyan power in Great Ape form, then going "human". The order of operations is different, so the result is different too. You could say it's the same at a basic, conceptual level and just leave it at that, but hey, separating Broly's monkey-powered SS from the "traditional" SS4 does allow for the creation of more forms and therefore more merch...
ChronoTwigger wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:44 am No...wait.
Pointy ears, goth dress, fangs collars.
They are not demons.
They are...
VAMPIRES
...and that could make Granola a space vampire hunter O_O.
Ok, now the thing IS interesting.
There are actually several design choices for the main Bojack-esque guy that line up pretty well with Castlevania Dracula over here. The facial hair, the eyes to an extent, the ears (though sharp ears are not uncommon in Dragon Ball), the jabot (the piece of clothing around their neck that hangs down over their chest), the presence of fangs... Honestly, I'm warming up to the possibility. If Moro was inspired by a western-style demon, as they've said he was, then western-style vampires could definitely also be used for inspiration.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link