"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:43 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 pm Looks like a lore heavy arc.
And because of that it can only be better than Moro's arc!

I apologize to people that liked it but to me it was seriously boring...

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:57 pm

Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:43 pm

The Moro arc started out lore heavy too, in fact, all arcs started off lore heavy.

Just look at the reaction to the first Moro chapters.

I say this all of the time, Toyo is very good in the introduction and is very mixed in the execution.

Everybody was saying Moro was the best villain in the first couple of chapters, and look at flat and boring he became. You can't tell me anything about Moro's character besides he's evil and that's it.

Moro isn't going to have any interesting to say and do even in games, for example, I see a lot of people disappointed with Baby's dialog in Fighter z, Goku was the only character Baby really interacted with besides brief fights with Goten, Gohan, and Vegeta. I would say Uub but he only seriously fight in one episode and Baby didn't really care about him.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:01 pm

- Granolah's vendetta

- The Loc'd groups motivations

- Birth of the Strongest Warrior

- Goku and Vegeta with separate Divine abilities

This is the most ambitious arc we've gotten in a really long time.. maybe since the Freeza arc and we still have no clue who the main "Villain" is actually going to be because I doubt it's gonna be any of the people with the Locs though they'll most likely contribute.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:04 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:01 pmThis is the most ambitious arc we've gotten in a really long time.. maybe since the Freeza arc and we still have no clue who the main "Villain" is actually going to be because I doubt it's gonna be any of the people with the Locs though they'll most likely contribute.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:18 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:01 pm - Granolah's vendetta

- The Loc'd groups motivations

- Birth of the Strongest Warrior

- Goku and Vegeta with separate Divine abilities

This is the most ambitious arc we've gotten in a really long time.. maybe since the Freeza arc and we still have no clue who the main "Villain" is actually going to be because I doubt it's gonna be any of the people with the Locs though they'll most likely contribute.
Potential is definitely something that this arc doesn't lack. Even though this is Dragon Ball and I'm not expecting any deep writing, let's hope they give us something great.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm

So, At the end of the Chapter Granolah is heading back to Planet Cereal. This is interesting to me because that would imply Frieza doesn’t own it. Or that he didn’t come to the planet to conquer it but just to wipe out the race. So that makes me wonder what was so special about the Cerealians that made Frieza want to kill them all.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:32 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm So, At the end of the Chapter Granolah is heading back to Planet Cereal. This is interesting to me because that would imply Frieza doesn’t own it. Or that he didn’t come to the planet to conquer it but just to wipe out the race. So that makes me wonder what was so special about the Cerealians that made Frieza want to kill them all.
Maybe he was afraid of the Super Cerealian legend to be true.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:33 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm So, At the end of the Chapter Granolah is heading back to Planet Cereal. This is interesting to me because that would imply Frieza doesn’t own it. Or that he didn’t come to the planet to conquer it but just to wipe out the race. So that makes me wonder what was so special about the Cerealians that made Frieza want to kill them all.
Perhaps it's a different planet claimed by Granolah as a substitute for Cereal? Or maybe Freeza's army lost it to Granolah after Freeza died (we know from RF that Freeza's army lost a lot of planets).

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:43 pm

This arc’s start is way better than the last.

It’s clearly being written as a very ambitious and important arc, and has the potential to be by far Super’s best arc.

I am so happy that Freeza will be involved somehow. Maybe Broly too? Either way the factions war which may happen is super interesting. I wonder how Goku and Vegeta will end up fighting against Granola and company.

Also, they are finally introducing the alternate way for Vegeta to catch up to Ultra Instinct and it sounds like quite a promising new technique.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:53 pm

Well, there are intriguing features to the arc, but I think it's way too soon to say how good it'll be, or even something quite as simple as how far all its plot features will go (for instance, anything about this 'strongest warrior') - so far we've got half a Chapter we've seen, and a Chapter we mostly haven't, all of which is pretty much bare set-up and tease, so I'mma stay cautious here, even though I like the things I know about so far.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:37 pm

DevilKing99 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:57 pm
Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:43 pm

The Moro arc started out lore heavy too, in fact, all arcs started off lore heavy.

Just look at the reaction to the first Moro chapters.

I say this all of the time, Toyo is very good in the introduction and is very mixed in the execution.

Everybody was saying Moro was the best villain in the first couple of chapters, and look at flat and boring he became. You can't tell me anything about Moro's character besides he's evil and that's it.

Moro isn't going to have any interesting to say and do even in games, for example, I see a lot of people disappointed with Baby's dialog in Fighter z, Goku was the only character Baby really interacted with besides brief fights with Goten, Gohan, and Vegeta. I would say Uub but he only seriously fight in one episode and Baby didn't really care about him.

Agreed Toyo’s starts tend to be more exciting than what we ultimately get. And while the ending of the Moro arc ended up being much better than I expected (based on previously poor chapters leading up to it) it didn’t meet my expectations based on what I was expecting in the early days of the arc.

Of course I hope this arc will deliver but I am definitely going in with very cautious optimism.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:56 pm

The main issue for me with Moro, is basically, what many people have already said in one way or another!

He won't be by any means, simply be a memorable villain or character, for all that it matters.

It arc started really great but then somehow it was unable to maintain it like that.

I seriously expect much more from this arc!

Hope that I won't be proven wrong on that at least.

Let's just wait and see how well it all makes some kind of sense and keep it exciting with each new chapter.

It is indeed looking promising for now!

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:12 pm

Look at Vegeta getting a new technique, get shitted on after successfully using it once and never re-utilizing it 😭🤣☠️
P O W E R

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:19 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:04 pm

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:12 pm Look at Vegeta getting a new technique, get shitted on after successfully using it once and never re-utilizing it 😭🤣☠️
Oh come on don't be mean to Vegeta fans... :lol:

(Not me anyway!)

He may attain it and be closer to UI Goku in terms of power at least.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:33 pm

Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:27 pm
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:12 pm Look at Vegeta getting a new technique, get shitted on after successfully using it once and never re-utilizing it 😭🤣☠️

I totally get it. But instead of entirely new things, I wouldn't mind Vegeta showing us (and exploring himself) the capabilities of Spirit Fission and Spirit Control training. It felt like a genuine powerup, not the most unique thing (except for being able to undo fusion) but I suppose it served only as a mean to defeat Moro and not expand Vegeta's character once Moro was killed. There was progress in the fact he went on his own to train on Yardrat, but the question is on whether he will have changed after this journey and after the 'purpose' of his new skills had been explored...so far it may seem like he will be back at square 1 'I DoNt CaRe AbOut KaKARot buT IlL sTILL GeT PtSd wHen He UsES The ShIny ForM I dOnt HaVe'. So much for character arcs 🤧
P O W E R

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:34 pm

He is Vegeta. It is his duty and his burden to make the main antagonist look like a threat.

And so the cycle continues.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:40 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:34 pm
He is Vegeta. It is his duty and his burden to make the main antagonist look like a threat.

At this point he deserves it. Hell, just kill Vegeta already. Him staying around doing these things is more painful to watch.

At least Piccolo vouches for him now 😉😂
P O W E R

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:40 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:33 pm
Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:27 pm

I totally get it. But instead of entirely new things, I wouldn't mind Vegeta showing us (and exploring himself) the capabilities of Spirit Fission and Spirit Control training. It felt like a genuine powerup, not the most unique thing (except for being able to undo fusion) but I suppose it served only as a mean to defeat Moro and not expand Vegeta's character once Moro was killed. There was progress in the fact he went on his own to train on Yardrat, but the question is on whether he will have changed after this journey and after the 'purpose' of his new skills had been explored...so far it may seem like he will be back at square 1 'I DoNt CaRe AbOut KaKARot buT IlL sTILL GeT PtSd wHen He UsES The ShIny ForM I dOnt HaVe'. So much for character arcs 🤧
Well, what we now know, is that he seems bothered by UI Goku it seems.

So let's see how will he evolve!
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:34 pm

Not that I am a Vegeta fan, but at least we have to give him some credit on ToP, by defeating sucessfuly GoD Toppo.

But you are totally right on those situations you mentioned in that images!
Last edited by Gogeta SSJ Blue on Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:57 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:43 pm This arc’s start is way better than the last.

It’s clearly being written as a very ambitious and important arc, and has the potential to be by far Super’s best arc.

I am so happy that Freeza will be involved somehow. Maybe Broly too? Either way the factions war which may happen is super interesting. I wonder how Goku and Vegeta will end up fighting against Granola and company.

Also, they are finally introducing the alternate way for Vegeta to catch up to Ultra Instinct and it sounds like quite a promising new technique.
But everyone said the same things about last arc. People forget how excited everyone was for the Moro arc, all the way up to Vegeta's return to Earth.