Isn't the Super Saiyan transformation just a rip-off of Launch's gimmick?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Isn't the Super Saiyan transformation just a rip-off of Launch's gimmick?

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:40 am

Hair turns blonde
Eyes turn green
Becomes way angrier, aggresive and stronger

The only difference is that saiyans don't sneeze to transform.

When you think about it, this is probably why Toriyama removed Launch from the story and refuses to bring her back.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Isn't the Super Saiyan transformation just a rip-off of Launch's gimmick?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:41 am

This is brought up fairly often, but the fact is that Lunch was written out of the story looooong before Toriyama would have any plans for the Super Saiyan transformation. Plenty of characters were created and discarded over the course of the series, so there’s nothing there that should or could suggest anything more than the simplest answer: he was done with her.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:12 am

Interesting theory although super saiyan hair color was changed to make drawing easier, as for manga artist you only have to draw outlines instead of filling it with black. I don't think it has anything to do with Lunch.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:05 pm

Not necessarily related.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:55 am

Launch's gimmick is a split personality. The Super Saiyan transformation is a power glow, at most a visual copy of Launch's flip-outs.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:30 am

As someone said before me, officially it was all just a matter of saving ink and time. Basically the whole SSJ rainbow frenzy started from a lazy day.

But to cover the silliness of that, I've read some fan-theories on the internet that going blonde and light-eyed, as opposed to the traditional dark eyes and dark hair, is seen as some kind of rebellion in their culture. So in both Launch's and Goku's case, they go fully heathen on enemies' asses.
DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:40 am The only difference is that saiyans don't sneeze to transform.
Ehh, no indeed. Instead they climax in their backs. As we'll later find out in DBS. :wink:

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:03 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:30 am As someone said before me, officially it was all just a matter of saving ink and time. Basically the whole SSJ rainbow frenzy started from a lazy day.

But to cover the silliness of that, I've read some fan-theories on the internet that going blonde and light-eyed, as opposed to the traditional dark eyes and dark hair, is seen as some kind of rebellion in their culture. So in both Launch's and Goku's case, they go fully heathen on enemies' asses.
DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:40 am The only difference is that saiyans don't sneeze to transform.
Ehh, no indeed. Instead they climax in their backs. As we'll later find out in DBS. :wink:
Off topic but it's nice to see another hungarian DB fan in here :thumbup:

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:16 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:03 am Off topic but it's nice to see another hungarian DB fan in here :thumbup:
Köszönom, I'm actually a Romanian learning Hungarian. :D

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:32 pm

This is absolutely something Toriyama would say for a joke in some interview, but clearly not true.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:36 am

The only gimmick of Super Saiyan was that it saved ink.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:16 pm

It was purely coincidental. Toriyama wanted to put less pressure on his assistant (who colored Goku's hair black) so he decided to make Goku's hair blonde, which, in the black white manga, would look white. I guess it's possible he subconsciously thought of Lunch and her blonde form, but knowing how forgetful Toriyama is that is doubtful.