The "Team Four Star" actors were blacklisted by Funi and Toei rumor

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: The "Team Four Star" actors were blacklisted by Funi and Toei rumor

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:02 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:49 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:31 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:15 pm Your comments about "many" and "widespread" are vague approximations. I don't think that sort of popularity holds any sort of weight among the audience. Some fans, maybe, but not the overall viewership. You aren't pointing something out. That implies that's a fact, not just conjecture.
I was making an observation on how the fandom responded to the series. That’s all. Saying that DBZA was a big hit with the fandom that inspired a bunch of memes is not conjecture. Again, I think it’s a stretch to say that Dragon Ball needed TFS to stay relevant, but that doesn’t mean it had no bearing on the fanbase.
You're saying it had a significant impact, but memes are hardly an impact in the scheme of things. I think it has some bearing on the fanbase, but it's smaller than you are claiming and fans are not the audience. It shouldn't be a controversial point to say the fans and the audience aren't the same thing. Looking at how fandoms react to things on the internet is not the best measure of how the overall audience views a show or film.
I never said anything about audiences. I specifically said the fanbase of Dragon Ball was influenced by it.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:11 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:15 pm
Do you think its viewership is reflected in Youtube comment sections?
To some extant, yes. I'm sure it's not a 1:1 correlation, but anything that's popular is gonna have a higher chance of being referenced in general youtube comments.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:36 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:02 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:49 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:31 pm

I was making an observation on how the fandom responded to the series. That’s all. Saying that DBZA was a big hit with the fandom that inspired a bunch of memes is not conjecture. Again, I think it’s a stretch to say that Dragon Ball needed TFS to stay relevant, but that doesn’t mean it had no bearing on the fanbase.
You're saying it had a significant impact, but memes are hardly an impact in the scheme of things. I think it has some bearing on the fanbase, but it's smaller than you are claiming and fans are not the audience. It shouldn't be a controversial point to say the fans and the audience aren't the same thing. Looking at how fandoms react to things on the internet is not the best measure of how the overall audience views a show or film.
I never said anything about audiences. I specifically said the fanbase of Dragon Ball was influenced by it.
You keep speaking in generalities. How much of the fandom was influenced by it? And I never said you did say anything about audiences. Why should that matter if you did? I'm making a point that the effect on the fandom isn't all that significant and the effect on the audience is even less.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:42 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:36 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:02 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:49 pm You're saying it had a significant impact, but memes are hardly an impact in the scheme of things. I think it has some bearing on the fanbase, but it's smaller than you are claiming and fans are not the audience. It shouldn't be a controversial point to say the fans and the audience aren't the same thing. Looking at how fandoms react to things on the internet is not the best measure of how the overall audience views a show or film.
You keep speaking in generalities. How much of the fandom was influenced by it? And I never said you did say anything about audiences. Why should that matter if you did? I'm making a point that the effect on the fandom isn't all that significant and the effect on the audience is even less.
How is anyone supposed to determine the exact percentage of the fanbase that was influenced by DBZA? A noticeable chunk was. That’s all there is to it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:38 pm

Sure, noticable. As in I notice the youtube comment sections littered with dumb lines from the show. But you make it sound significant. People have this not altogether correct view that opinions on the net are reflected in the real world. And I honestly doubt the impact you attribute to them, like the "Goku is a bad dad" meme. He's not a great father so it's not like something TFS made out of thin air and it caught on.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:11 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:38 pm Sure, noticable. As in I notice the youtube comment sections littered with dumb lines from the show. But you make it sound significant. People have this not altogether correct view that opinions on the net are reflected in the real world. And I honestly doubt the impact you attribute to them, like the "Goku is a bad dad" meme. He's not a great father so it's not like something TFS made out of thin air and it caught on.
I was referring specifically to the online world of the Dragon Ball fandom. It goes without saying that most people in real life would be completely oblivious to DBZA. They’re not the ones I was talking about.

Also, while there is a basis in the source material for Goku not being an ideal parent, people have a tendency to exaggerate how much of a bad father Goku is, and a large part of that seems to boil down to how DBZA portrayed him. As for things that TFS did make up out of thin air that caught on, look no further than Mr. Popo’s characterization as a creepy psychopath who everyone is afraid of.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:18 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:11 pm It goes without saying that most people in real life would be completely oblivious to DBZA.
Does it?

Most people as in people in general in real life, or Dragon Ball fans in real life? I think a significant amount of Dragon Ball fans are well aware of DBZA. I'd dare say the majority.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:18 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:11 pm It goes without saying that most people in real life would be completely oblivious to DBZA.
Does it?

Most people as in people in general in real life, or Dragon Ball fans in real life? I think a significant amount of Dragon Ball fans are well aware of DBZA. I'd dare say the majority.
Awareness doesn't mean fan or anything of substance and I don't think you are correct. Many fans have never heard of them nor would they care if they did.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:48 pm

The main thing I think is besides brainless youtube comments quotes and the “Piccolo is Gohan’s real dad” meme DBZA has little if any big impact. They definitely weren’t the big reasons fans were excited for Super because, again. Dragon Ball Z never really went anywhere in the US.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:25 pm

I've heard Abridged frequently brought up in real life and when DBZ is randomly mentioned on non-Dragon Ball online platforms, Abridged references are soon to follow.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:27 pm

My co-workers have watched DBZA in the break room, too. I'd say it has normie reach, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:38 pm Sure, noticable. As in I notice the youtube comment sections littered with dumb lines from the show. But you make it sound significant. People have this not altogether correct view that opinions on the net are reflected in the real world. And I honestly doubt the impact you attribute to them, like the "Goku is a bad dad" meme. He's not a great father so it's not like something TFS made out of thin air and it caught on.
This isn't 2009 anymore, where there's a significant gap between the "internet" and "the real world."
Cold World (Fanfic)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:24 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 pm
This isn't 2009 anymore, where there's a significant gap between the "internet" and "the real world."
It's not nearly as reflective as people like to think in regards to pop culture. If that were true, you'd get the impression that everyone knows all the Marvel easter eggs. Not even metrics like Rotten tomatoes have much correlation to box office performance.

As to the anecdotes about talking Abridged in the break room. That's never happened to me. Both of our experiences are purely anecdotal

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:48 pm

i mean the most popular DBZ:A videos have upwards to 20 million views, that's a lot of people. i do agree that some people kinda overestimate how woven together main stream and internet stuff are, but for something already pretty Nerd-ish, it's a lot closer then you think.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:55 pm

I should clarify what I said earlier. People who aren’t Dragon Ball fans probably don’t know or care for it, but to deny how wildly popular it is with Dragon Ball fans is absurd. As far as the English speaking side of the Dragon Ball fandom is concerned, DBZA is huge. I’m not even crazy about DBZA, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t left their mark on the fandom. Even the FUNimation dub of Kai seemed to be influenced by them to a degree.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:15 pm

20 million views? Ugh. Now I'm sad. But 20 million views isn't 20 million fans. Excuse me as I vomit.

It's left a mark on the fandom, but not the audience, and they are the ones that matter the most.
Even the FUNimation dub of Kai seemed to be influenced by them to a degree.
A few lines is hardly an influence.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:21 pm

The “influence” on Kai amounts to Nappa saying he hates the media and a Wilhelm scream being used in the same scene it was in DBZA and the would be joke with the Cell Games recreation that TOEI put the kibosh on.

Some references does not qualify as influence

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:34 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:15 pm 20 million views? Ugh. Now I'm sad. But 20 million views isn't 20 million fans. Excuse me as I vomit.
1 chill out, 2 ok still almost every DBZ:A video (and unless i'm counting wrong, every numbered one) has at least 10 million views and most are around the 13 million view mark. it's not like they had a audience of a couple million and then had a couple viral ones, when you are getting 13 million views per episode...i think you've left a mark on the English speaking dragon ball fandom lol. like within the online fandom of dragon ball, almost everyone knows DBZ:A, and that's gonna have some decent overlap with the fandom at large, weather you like them or not.

and like again i agree, i think people really overestimate how much DBZ:A influences the fandom or anything like that. like someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but stuff like krillin being a bit of a punching bag or goku being a bad dad, or anything like that wasn't started by TFS, abridged series were pretty much just about putting fandom in-jokes into the actual shows themselves. it's decently telling (god i love having a 10 word vocabulary) that jokes that they did create, like their nappa, popo, super kami guru and all that, don't really effect how we talk about those characters or roles besides a few jokes here and there.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:53 pm

I will never get over that number. That this tripe overtakes every single damn DB video or comment section only has me mildly less annoyed than those Snyder Cut d-bags who commented on EVERY SINGLE HBO Max tweet. It's irritating to no end because you can't escape them online. So perhaps I've underestimated their fanbase's size online but I do agree that they ultimately have no significant influence on DB, certainly not keeping Dragon Ball popular prior to Battle of Gods.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:18 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:15 pm 20 million views? Ugh. Now I'm sad. But 20 million views isn't 20 million fans. Excuse me as I vomit.

It's left a mark on the fandom, but not the audience, and they are the ones that matter the most.
Even the FUNimation dub of Kai seemed to be influenced by them to a degree.
A few lines is hardly an influence.
See, now I'm getting the feeling your own personal views of Abridged are causing you to downplay its actual relevance in the fandom.
Cold World (Fanfic)