The Norwegian dub... videos inside

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

The Norwegian dub... videos inside

Post by Adamant » Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 pm

You've heard horror stories about this elusive dub. Finally, here's a chance to see for yourselves what it's all about.

A word of advice, though - this dub is bad for the same reasons the English dubs are bad: Wildly inaccurate scripts and incredibly unfitting voices. The dubbers are professionals, and have done high quality work on other series. So please, don't call the dub crap if you have a problem with people calling the FUNi dub crap. They're pretty equal in quality, production value and respect for the original work.

From the beginning of DBZ movie 2, mostly quiet speaking parts to show off the voices of Oolong, Gohan, Chichi and Goku.

From later in the same movie, Kuririn and Gohan show up to help Goku.

Also, for comparison's sake, the Swedish dub of the first clip: Not much better, but at least they say "Piccolo" instead of "Big Green".

I'll upload more if you have any specific scenes you'd like to see. Keep in mind that I only have DBZ movie 2 and 3, though.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri May 23, 2008 2:34 pm

You were right about the unfitting voices, but Gohan and Chichi sounded good enough.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Hey, I got movies 1-9 in addition to Trunks and Bardock movies, wanna make more clips, Adamant?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri May 23, 2008 5:57 pm

I could've sworn that I distinctly hear Gohan say "Big Green"! Goku's voice is way too tough-guy-ish. Other than the two previously stated points, not bad!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri May 23, 2008 7:15 pm

I noticed that all of the voices aren't very different from each other, unlike the japanese version where every character's voice is very different from each other (even Goku and Gohan have pretty unsimilar voices in the japanese version despite being father and son).

Also, I noticed that in the second example you posted ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbRZpbQZx6E ) that first grunt that Goku makes sounds a bit like Scooby-Doo, or is it just me?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat May 24, 2008 2:11 am

Can't really criticize other than the "Big Green" and "Deep Manly Goku", since this is the first time I've heard the Norwegian language spoken.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat May 24, 2008 6:17 am

SonGokuGT wrote:I could've sworn that I distinctly hear Gohan say "Big Green"!
He did.
And as for my opinions on the dub: Gohan sounded fine, Oolong and Chichi weren't too bad, but not all that great either, Goku sounded terrible, and Kuririn's voice was too girly. I know he was voiced by a woman in the japanese version too, but now he actually sounds like a 10-year old girl. Thank god that these actors didn't dub the TV-series. (Well, duh. The Dragonball-TV-series has never been dubbed in norwegian, as far as I know.)
Last edited by Vegard Aune on Mon May 26, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat May 24, 2008 6:17 am

SonGokuGT wrote:I could've sworn that I distinctly hear Gohan say "Big Green"! Goku's voice is way too tough-guy-ish. Other than the two previously stated points, not bad!
You mean; very bad?
Gohan's voice is extremely annoying. Goku sounds like a lame super-hero.

The biggest problem is that the "voice actors" do not know how to act!
They can't do good screams in fighting scenes for that matter either.
The script is horrible.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat May 24, 2008 11:50 am

sangofe wrote:The biggest problem is that the "voice actors" do not know how to act!
Erm...
Adamant wrote:A word of advice, though - this dub is bad for the same reasons the English dubs are bad: Wildly inaccurate scripts and incredibly unfitting voices. The dubbers are professionals, and have done high quality work on other series. So please, don't call the dub crap if you have a problem with people calling the FUNi dub crap. They're pretty equal in quality, production value and respect for the original work.
I'd say this is similar to how most of the voiceactors in the 4Kids-dub of One Piece delivered their lines with about as much enthusiasm as someone getting paid 3 dollars a year for their job, even though they were otherwise good actors, or how Chris Sabat's Vegeta-voice sounds extremely monotonous and lame, whereas his Zoro-voice in the FUNi-dub of One Piece is quite excellent. They CAN act, the directors just didn't care. If they did, maybe they'd have based the dub of the japanese version and gotten some more apropriate voices.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:04 pm

Does anyone have or know where to find movie 7 of the Norwegian dub?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat May 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Super 17 wrote:Does anyone have or know where to find movie 7 of the Norwegian dub?
Norway!

Actually it only goes up to 6 there.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:47 pm

I heard it goes up to like 11, but who knows someone probably has them.

TheJoo87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheJoo87 » Sat May 24, 2008 3:58 pm

I like Gohans voice in the first clip, he actually sounds like a kid.
"What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My Ass... ah ha ha ha."-Master Pain (Betty)

"Remember children, if you are walking on your way home and you see a downed power line, eat a lot of hot dogs very quickly." - Takeru Kobayashi on snl.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat May 24, 2008 5:12 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Super 17 wrote:Does anyone have or know where to find movie 7 of the Norwegian dub?
Norway!

Actually it only goes up to 6 there.
Wrong.
I have movies 1-9, and both TV specials.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat May 24, 2008 5:15 pm

TheJoo87 wrote:I like Gohans voice in the first clip, he actually sounds like a kid.
Gohan's voice annoys me so much...
It's just not... Gohan.

Best Scandinavian dub is the Danish dub, hands down.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 24, 2008 6:26 pm

TheJoo87 wrote:I like Gohans voice in the first clip, he actually sounds like a kid.
His voice actor is a kid, so that's not too surprising :P

And yeah, the directing is one of the main reasons why the dub is so bad - Kamesennin's voice actor in particular is really good at what he does, but the voice he gives Kamesennin in this dub, while well acted, is completely unsuited for the character, and makes him sound like a senile old fool who can't tell left from right.

sangofe: Could you upload a clip of Broli yelling "Kakarotto!" from the 8th movie? I'd love to see how (badly) they handled that.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon May 26, 2008 1:24 am

sangofe wrote:
It's just not... Gohan.

You watch DBZ in English don't you? I don't like Gohan's English (FUNimation) voice until he's 11. That voice doesn't fit a four-year old. The Norwegian Gohan is now one of my favorites. The other being Japanese of course.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 26, 2008 2:43 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
It's just not... Gohan.

You watch DBZ in English don't you? I don't like Gohan's English (FUNimation) voice until he's 11. That voice doesn't fit a four-year old. The Norwegian Gohan is now one of my favorites. The other being Japanese of course.
Not at all. I watch it in Japanese or French.
I should put up Danish Gohan clips...
My favorite Gohan is the Japanese, then Danish, and on third I'd have to say French.

TheJoo87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheJoo87 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Adamant wrote:
His voice actor is a kid, so that's not too surprising :P
That was my point. It seemed like everyone hated the voice. I am saying that in this peticular version they actually used someone the right age and gender to do Gohans voice, and because of that it felt that much more genuine, to me at least.
"What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My Ass... ah ha ha ha."-Master Pain (Betty)

"Remember children, if you are walking on your way home and you see a downed power line, eat a lot of hot dogs very quickly." - Takeru Kobayashi on snl.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 26, 2008 7:37 pm

TheJoo87 wrote:I am saying that in this peticular version they actually used someone the right age and gender to do Gohans voice
Eh, Gohan is supposed to be 5 at this point, and his voice actor was 12 at the time, I believe. He still sounds WAY too old.