"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:14 pm

With the manga they aren’t selling anything so they probably can slow down with the transformations.

Honestly with the manga being in Black and White it’s hard for me to tell what transformation they are even in half the time until the full colored version comes out.

Okay UI is easy enough but Blue and God or Blue Evolution not always easy.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:23 pm

Kinokima wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:20 pm I don’t really think he has to share any Spoilers. We aren’t entitled to them
Of course we're not entitled to illegal leaks, that would be ridiculous. If it's true that they're giving Youtubers exclusive access to the leaks so that they can make videos with them, though, that definitely rubs me the wrong way. At that point it's turning the leaks into a business (because there's no way to access them other than through a video that generates revenue for the uploader), and I feel like there's a good chance that that makes it like double illegal. Screw that, I'd much rather see no leaks at all instead.
Honestly, this "leak culture" is almost certainly why we get to see drafts a week early every month. I guess that just isn't enough, though. Maybe there could be a better way to do it, like releasing them gradually instead of all at once, but fans are probably a bit too insatiable for something like that too. I don't know, it's a messy situation that's hard to remedy.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:33 pm

Alruneia wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:23 pm
Kinokima wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:20 pm I don’t really think he has to share any Spoilers. We aren’t entitled to them
Of course we're not entitled to illegal leaks, that would be ridiculous. If it's true that they're giving Youtubers exclusive access to the leaks so that they can make videos with them, though, that definitely rubs me the wrong way. At that point it's turning the leaks into a business (because there's no way to access them other than through a video that generates revenue for the uploader), and I feel like there's a good chance that that makes it like double illegal. Screw that, I'd much rather see no leaks at all instead.
Honestly, this "leak culture" is almost certainly why we get to see drafts a week early every month. I guess that just isn't enough, though. Maybe there could be a better way to do it, like releasing them gradually instead of all at once, but fans are probably a bit too insatiable for something like that too. I don't know, it's a messy situation that's hard to remedy.
I mean I don’t watch any Dragon Ball YouTubers unless it is Dokkan Battle related so I guess I would miss the leaks if that is how they are now being shared (unless someone posts something here). I don’t mind. It’s kind of nice to not know the entire chapter beforehand. When the spoilers are on Twitter I find them harder to avoid. Of course I wouldn’t be surprised if more spoilers show up at the last minute tonight.

But really DB Hype can do whatever he wants with the spoilers. They are his magazine scans I assume so he can share them with whoever he wants in any amount he wants. If he is doing something illegal than that is his own risk not my concern.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 pm

Alruneia wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:23 pm
It just sucks that the Dragon Ball Super Manga releases only ONCE A MONTH. This is the cause of all this suffering. The japanese dragon ball authorities should know that the fanbase of Dragon Ball is (largely) made up of people with patience issues, that need their weekly dose of dragon ball to fight off the depression. And yet they choose to release it only once a month anyway. It’s like they’re giving a big “fuck you!” to the fans who need it the most. And DBS Hype is only making it worse by intentionally leaking as little as possible, and he has been reducing it every month with small steps along the way.

And the fact that the Manga only releases (once a month!) creates the situation where people are becoming restless, frustrated, and depressed when spoilers are taking a little longer than usual. (Thank Toyotaro’s monthly release schedule for that!)

I have been saying this for MONTHS now, and sadly, these past few months it’s gotten worse and worse, to the point where I literally said: “This can’t go on any longer! Something HAS to happen! This situation is just WRONG.”

On top of it all, the Anime is no longer with us aswell!

As that “needlessly” went away, and very strangely, stayed away WAY longer than expected with no sight of it ever coming back in the near future.

It sucks to be a Dragon Ball fan these days.
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:09 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:10 pm
GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:46 pm Hope your right, bats. Because I'm not in the mood to see SSJ Rainbow or SSJ Platinum. Especially since Goku and Vegeta have gotten so strong they literally don't need a good portion of these forms.
It’s like I said, I’m tired of the already existing ones aswell.. Especially SSJ Blue Evolution! It’s best to just get rid of any other form than SSJ1, and give it a recolor for Goku and Vegeta.. Thereby, ending the transformations for good! They already had the God powers in Base now with UI and Hakai respectively!
Honestly I think the other fighters need forms more than Goku and Vegeta do. Goku and Vegeta literally don't need half these transformations at this point, especially since Goku has his MUI in his pocket. Let the Androids get an upgrade or let Gohan do something, or Goten and Trunks since they haven't gotten anything in ages. These guys need boosts more than Goku and Vegeta do.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:14 pm

I think Goten and Trunks should at least get SSJ2, and of course Piccolo, Gohan, 17, 18 and others should be treated with respect and actually be able to contribute. Moro was a nice change of pace.

I don't think that characters whose species aren't known for transformations should get one. Achieving God Ki would be nice, especially for "mystical" characters like Piccolo.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:19 pm

Alruneia wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:23 pm At that point it's turning the leaks into a business (because there's no way to access them other than through a video that generates revenue for the uploader), and I feel like there's a good chance that that makes it like double illegal. Screw that, I'd much rather see no leaks at all instead.
That's exactly what it is and has always been. The "leaks" exist because someone owns a copy of V-Jump that was stolen or otherwise illegally obtained before release. I personally check out and discuss the leaks because they're out in the wilderness, but I'd rather the whole operation be shut down and everyone just wait until the official release. We get to read the online version before most people in Japan are able to go to the store and buy a physical copy.

Why do you think certain Youtubers are able to release their "reviews" so quickly? It's because they've already "read" the full chapter, even if the rest of us haven't seen the leaks. By read, I mean they have the "scans" with a subpar translation from other fans involved in the scheme. Aside from the fact that this is unfair and shady at best, their opinions are informed by half-baked opinions based on partial, or sometimes incorrect, information.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:24 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 pm It just sucks that the Dragon Ball Super Manga releases only ONCE A MONTH. This is the cause of all this suffering. The japanese dragon ball authorities should know that the fanbase of Dragon Ball is (largely) made up of people with patience issues, that need their weekly dose of dragon ball to fight of the depression. And yet they choose to release it only once a month anyway. It’s like they’re giving a big “fuck you!” to the fans who need it the most. And DBS Hype is only making it worse by intentionally leaking as little as possible, and he has been reducing it every month with small steps along the way.

And the fact that the Manga only releases (once a month!) creates the situation where people are becoming restless, frustrated, and depressed when spoilers are taking a little longer than usual. (Thank Toyotaro’s monthly release schedule for that!)

I have been saying this for MONTHS now, and sadly, these past few months it’s gotten worse and worse, to the point where I literally said: “This can’t go on any longer! Something HAS to happen! This situation is just WRONG.”

On top of it all, the Anime is no longer with us aswell!

As that “needlessly” went away, and very strangely, stayed away WAY longer than expected with no sight of it ever coming back in the near future.

I think if monthly Dragon Ball releases and Dragon Ball youtubers are causing you to fall into an existential depression every month, you need to take a step back and re-assess your priorities, speaking genuinely here, not sarcastically.

Otherwise, your comments here make you come across as a very entitled fan, and demanding you get the chapter leaked to you before release is incredibly immature. Things have a release date, anything released before is a bonus and if you enjoy that content, you should be grateful. If someone else gets it, they are under no obligation to share anything, and the fact that they share some and you complain from a place of jealousy just comes across as petty. Looking a gift horse in the mouth is never recommended by the idiom.

Personally i hate the leaks and spoilers in general, i prefer to read the whole chapter and not sit through a week of people talking about how the chapter sucks based on 3 sketchy pages. I also hate monthly releases because i think a bi-weekly schedule of weekly sized chapters would be better for fans and creators. BUT i wont demand that the creators bend to my whim on this, i'm a fan, not a shareholder in Dragon Ball.

Seriously though, to re-iterate my first point, if you're struggling with depression, and are blaming the release schedule of a manga, you should see if there is anything else going on. Depression is a bastard to deal with and i hope you can find a way to work through that, the last few years have been tough on everyone and blaming the creators of a comic book instead of seeking help is not healthy.

If you were, however, being hyperbolic, i retract my comments.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 pm It just sucks that the Dragon Ball Super Manga releases only ONCE A MONTH.

The DBS manga releases twice a month. Once for the draft pages, and once for the rest of the finished chapter. Lately, we've been getting even more of the chapter before the full release via the V-Jump trailers.

There were decades between GT and any new DB series. Nowadays, we've had the most contributions from Toriyama since the original manga ended, a new monthly manga, Super DB Heroes (manga and promo anime), various games that have story content and are continually updated, movies that come out every few years, an anime that only recently ended and is likely to start back up again, and more. I think we have it pretty good.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:56 pm

batistabus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 pm
GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 pm It just sucks that the Dragon Ball Super Manga releases only ONCE A MONTH.

The DBS manga releases twice a month. Once for the draft pages, and once for the rest of the finished chapter. Lately, we've been getting even more of the chapter before the full release via the V-Jump trailers.

There were decades between GT and any new DB series. Nowadays, we've had the most contributions from Toriyama since the original manga ended, a new monthly manga, Super DB Heroes (manga and promo anime), various games that have story content and are continually updated, movies that come out every few years, an anime that only recently ended and is likely to start back up again, and more. I think we have it pretty good.
Perhaps compared to having nothing we have it pretty good but compared to other big Shounen Franchises I would argue that Dragon Ball fans don’t have it good at all.

But it is what it is I guess. At least we have the manga but it doesn’t create the same amount of hype as the anime did.

And this isn’t to say writing wise I like the anime more (because I don’t) but there is just something about having an ongoing anime or even a movie to look forward to that just isn’t there with a monthly manga.

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 pm
I absolutely second JewyB's opinion. The manga coming out monthly is sometimes mildly irritating, yes, and it's great to use new chapters as a little pick-me-up when things are tough. But it shouldn't be more than that, and I'm concerned that it causes you that amount of distress. I really hope you weren't being hyperbolic because that's a very serious thing to say, and if your mental health is that closely tied in to the series then my sincere recommendation is that you take a step back from it. Absolutely no judgement here, I've been in a similar position before. It's not healthy.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm

batistabus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 pm The DBS manga releases twice a month. Once for the draft pages, and once for the rest of the finished chapter. Lately, we've been getting even more of the chapter before the full release via the V-Jump trailers.
I think more and more this is something Toyotaro is writing toward as well. We don't tend to get any "wasted"* first eight pages--there's always something to discuss.

The full chapter as a finished episode may be what we get in the monthly magazine and four of in each collected volume, but as far as the experience of following the series in serialization, it's very much a twice-monthly affair now--with an eight-page chapter and a 35-ish-page one.

*as in purely scenic, even if they'd be put to good use pacing-wise in a finished chapter
Kinokima wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:56 pm Perhaps compared to having nothing we have it pretty good but compared to other big Shounen Franchises I would argue that Dragon Ball fans don’t have it good at all.
Compared to ... currently running, main-line Jump series, or...?

Dragon Ball is over, and Super is a V-Jump sequel series. Its basis for comparison are things like the Yu-Gi-Oh sequels/spin-offs and Boruto. The only thing it doesn't have in comparison to those two now is a running anime.

I don't know. It's also just kind of weird to me that so many people have just seemingly never had any experience following a monthly series? Welcome to all US comics and also an enormous chunk of Japanese ones.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:54 pm

Cipher wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm Dragon Ball is over, and Super is a V-Jump sequel series. Its basis for comparison are things like the Yu-Gi-Oh sequels/spin-offs and Boruto. The only thing it doesn't have in comparison to those two now is a running anime.

I don't know. It's also just kind of weird to me that so many people have just seemingly never had any experience following a monthly series? Welcome to all US comics and also an enormous chunk of Japanese ones.

My favorite manga of all time Fullmetal Alchemist was a monthly manga. And I’ve read plenty of manga that only came out every other month or less. Lately I don’t really read most manga by chapter and prefer volume releases but that’s neither here nor there and feel it is irrelevant. DBS being on a monthly manga schedule isn’t an issue for me.

But yes I think we can compare DBS to big Shounen Jump properties. It certainly brings in the money to compare to them. It being published in V-Jump is irrelevant. But if you want to compare it to Boruto that still has an ongoing anime that doesn’t seem to be stopping any time soon.

The point is Dragon Ball is such a huge property and it feels like they are floundering it’s success. The only thing they are doing with it is a monthly manga that gets no promotion. The stuff in the manga gets zero merchandise and is not included in games. It feels like a waste.

They already have enough material with the Moro arc for a season of anime. Or even if we could have a movie every year or so I think it would get people excited. My Hero Academia gets both. I just think Dragon Ball does deserve more than it’s getting at the moment.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm

I may be completely out of date (since I currently don't actively follow any other manga), but is there even a new manga / sequel from a previous series with weekly chapter releases? Except for series that have been going on for years, I really thought that this kind of schedule was no longer widely used due to the immense pressure and damage it causes to the health of the autors (at least, not used on the same frequency). As cool as it would be to have a chapter every 15 days, if it means a drop in the art / presentation of the manga or if it is too much for Toyotaro to handle with, then I prefer it to remain monthly.

He may not be the best DB artist out there, but he is probably one of the only (and I think that was one of the reasons he was chosen) capable of delivering a 45-page chapter every month with this level of consistency. Of course, this is nothing close to what Toriyama faced, but people are different. Waiting 1 month can be a pain in the ass but it is as it has always been and these complaints usually just appear at slower moments of the story. DB is doing well in other departments (like games) so I wouldn't say the series is doing badly, the only thing missing is the anime

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:30 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm I may be completely out of date (since I currently don't actively follow any other manga), but is there even a new manga / sequel from a previous series with weekly chapter releases? Except for series that have been going on for years, I really thought that this kind of schedule was no longer widely used due to the immense pressure and damage it causes to the health of the autors (at least, not used on the same frequency). As cool as it would be to have a chapter every 15 days, if it means a drop in the art / presentation of the manga or if it is too much for Toyotaro to handle with, then I prefer it to remain monthly.
There are still several weekly magazines in Japan, main-line Shonen Jump among them. There are also a huge amount of weekly titles on various digital-first platforms (including Jump's own, Jump+), but the benefit is that both the schedule and page count for them tend to be more flexible. Artists can take weeks off or play around with their own page counts without it affecting the printing of an entire magazine.

As for weekly sequels ... I'm not aware of many. Granted, spin-off and sequel manga in general is a phenomenon largely limited to massive all-ages titles like Jump's, but as far as I'm aware, all of them have been on monthly schedules, largely because the spin-off magazines they're published in are themselves monthly. (Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragon Quest: Dai (prequel), Dragon Ball, Naruto, MHA's spin-off, Ruorouni Kenshin, which we shall not speak of, etc.). The most I can think of outside of that is Go Nagai doing Devilman Lady in the late '90s, which was a sequel/spin-off by the original artist running in a weekly seinen magazine. We also shall not speak of it.
But yes I think we can compare DBS to big Shounen Jump properties. It certainly brings in the money to compare to them. It being published in V-Jump is irrelevant. But if you want to compare it to Boruto that still has an ongoing anime that doesn’t seem to be stopping any time soon.
The sequel series that run in V-Jump are the direct-to-DVD equivalents of comics. I don't even say that disparagingly, since that has its own charms, but to frame expectations. Their series have had their day in the limelight and merchandising from them can sustain itself with a lighter media presence. DB had a 131-episode anime end recently and a major film two years back. It'll likely have a return to screens in one of those forms in the not-so-distant future as well. But yes, I do think it's barking up the wrong tree to compare it to major, new mainline series in the sense that it's barking up the wrong tree to compare the push and resources behind Godfather IV to a new tentpole film.

Like, idk. I'm fine chilling with what we have. (And also hope even the manga wraps up not too far from now so it goes out satisfactorily and on its own terms.)

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 am

What they are doing is clearly illegal...

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:18 am

Cipher wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:30 am The sequel series that run in V-Jump are the direct-to-DVD equivalents of comics. I don't even say that disparagingly, since that has its own charms, but to frame expectations. Their series have had their day in the limelight and merchandising from them can sustain itself with a lighter media presence. DB had a 131-episode anime end recently and a major film two years back. It'll likely have a return to screens in one of those forms in the not-so-distant future as well. But yes, I do think it's barking up the wrong tree to compare it to major, new mainline series in the sense that it's barking up the wrong tree to compare the push and resources behind Godfather IV to a new tentpole film.

Like, idk. I'm fine chilling with what we have. (And also hope even the manga wraps up not too far from now so it goes out satisfactorily and on its own terms.)
I mean I am not expecting Dragon Ball to go on indefinitely in any format but while the series was having a renaissance of success they let the momentum burn out and I don’t understand that. Again if Dragon Ball has a counterpart right now it would be Boruto and that at least is still getting an ongoing anime. Personally I would rather have something more seasonal to keep up the quality or as I said even just a movie line. But just something more substantial than just the manga and I think an animated product does make a big difference in terms of getting people excited in a franchise.

And the thing with saying eventually the anime will come back. We have been saying that for awhile. The problem is the original cast is not getting any younger. We already lost some. I’d like as much material with that cast as possible. The timing is now not later. And I just don’t understand what exactly they are waiting for.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:21 am

Chapter 71 is now out.

It's fine - a bit of a filler chapter, honestly; not sure there was much there that we needed to see, but there were a few unexpected elements and it moved things on in a few minor ways.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:27 am

This chapter had so many little details that I absolutely loved, and I'm glad none of them were spoiled.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:32 am

Chapter felt like a filler, but was... okay, I guess? That Kid Boo ripoff is foreshadowed for a bigger role. I wonder if the main boss to beat is going to be him?
It irks me that Toyo always draw Goku like he's a retard. Vegeta is fine, but there's always something not right with Goku...
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.