Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun May 09, 2021 11:33 am

A new movie was officially announced, but it's hard for me to be invested on it without knowing anything more. Need to see the staff list and a teaser to get an idea of what to expect.

At least finally something major happened on Goku Day. It's been such an irrelevant day for major news until now.

I don't believe it will be a full CGI Movie as some are assuming. As for the unexpected character if he's an ally from U7 I would like to be Uub. More than that I would like to have a Toriyama movie that happens in EOZ timeframe, but I already know that won't happen in this timeline.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun May 09, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 09, 2021 11:34 am

All 3 Toriyama movies have basically just focused on Goku/Vegeta:

- Battle of Gods = Vegeta at the party stopping Beerus from killing everyone then Goku

- Ressurection of F = Mostly just Goku and Vegeta, even if the others fought Freeza's henchmen

- Broly = Just Goku and Vegeta

I get a bad feeling this will just be Goku/Vegeta centered yet again. After the Moro arc brought the supporting cast back to the spotlight a little bit it would be unfortunate to see the same thing again.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 09, 2021 11:55 am

I doubt the movie is going to be CG but even if it is it isn't like Toei can't do good CG: https://youtu.be/W_crYWm07tM

Anyway, beginning the film with the Tenka'ichi and then following from there with Gokuu and Uub's journey to his village could be fun.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun May 09, 2021 12:31 pm

Leaked official poster:
Just kidding... but could you imagine it?

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:15 am You've gotta love how hard they always go hyping Toriyama's involvement.
Too bad that's no longer synonymous of good storytelling. The last decent movie we had from this series was BoG and was not even Toriyama full script, RoF was and even though it was a bigger box office hit than its predecessor, it is a bad movie. Broly movie was the best Dragon Ball ever looked, but its story is a literal fusion of fanservice elements with bland story after the plot introduction.
emperior wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:09 am...And fans will want to buy the manga to fill in the last remaining gaps in the 10 year period between Buu and End of Z.
Speak it for yourself. Dragon Ball (manga) is a completed work that was finished 26 years ago, it remains untouchable to this day and nothing will change that. Super contradicts a statement from chapter 519 (ten years of peace had passed) and also Goku saying it was 5 years since the last time he saw Bulma, so yeah if you push it you can include it, but then it would be your headcanon.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 09, 2021 12:39 pm

Noah wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:31 pmSuper contradicts a statement from chapter 519 (ten years of peace had passed)
May you post here that statement?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun May 09, 2021 1:05 pm

Dragon ball character: *exist*
Fanbase: FANSERVICE!!!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Repeating my questions from manga topic and adding onto it.

- Will the movie connect where Broly left off and make the manga irrelevant? - or being treated as a movie side-story, never to be part of potential TV series.

- Will the movie connect and start another arc going from Granolah arc?

- Will the movie adapt some manga arc?

Or, will the series be revived to adapt the manga arcs and movie will continue from there?

Really wonder, mostly because Akira Toriyama is heavily involved, hence I wonder if they care about some continuity or is he just writing whatever he likes and deems interesting.
As much as the manga is now treated as official continuation of DB Super, it doesn't feel like it that much for a movie or potential series to ignore it altogether.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun May 09, 2021 1:31 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:39 pmMay you post here that statement?
Goku and Vegeta discuss how it's been hard to raise Goten and Trunks. Goku then responds: "Yeah, but that's means the world is in peace" which means that nothing problematic has happened in those 10 years which Super contradicts a lot.
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:05 pm Dragon ball character: *exist*
Fanbase: FANSERVICE!!!
- Bardock, the character that even the man himself liked to the point of including in his original work, so popular that even got lame sequel that he becomes SSJ, so was his game counterparts (XV, Heroes) Time Breaker Bardock where he reaches SSJ2, 3 and 4.

- Broly the most popular movie villain (had three), the character so damn overestimated through power debates (blame games on this matter) even though he would lose badly to the likes of Perfect Cell and Majin Vegeta. His influence was so big that led Toriyama to create a female counterpart and finally be conviced by Toei to create a new iteration of the character to fit on the modern series story.

- Gogeta, the second most popular Goku & Vegeta fusion. Had a small appearance in GT and like Broly had a usual presentation in games openings. After Movie 12, fans speculated through years that Gogeta would show up and guy and it happed on this recent movie.

So yea, if including these three characters in one movie is not fanservice, then I don't know what is called.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 pm

If the movie will be in CGI and the unexpected character ends up being Ribrianne, this fanbase is going to explode

Mr. Slump

Post by Mr. Slump » Sun May 09, 2021 1:52 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 am It's too early to really speculate on what the movie will be about, but with Toriyama writing the script it's safe to say that it won't take place after EoZ since he has said he has no interest in writing stories during that time period.
I kind of wish it did, since I’d be curious to see what happened after chapter 519. Wouldn’t it be cool to see a post-Z movie about Goku training Pan who transforms into a Super Saiyan.

Though I guess, parentage-wise, Pan’s Saiyan genes has been too diluted at this point to become one at this point.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sun May 09, 2021 2:17 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 pm If the movie will be in CGI and the unexpected character ends up being Ribrianne, this fanbase is going to explode
You monster! You've scarred me with the dreadful idea that this thing will have some resemblance to the CGI Saint Seiya TV series.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 09, 2021 2:32 pm

Noah wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:31 pm
Goku and Vegeta discuss how it's been hard to raise Goten and Trunks. Goku then responds: "Yeah, but that's means the world is in peace" which means that nothing problematic has happened in those 10 years which Super contradicts a lot.
That actually doesn't tell us that it was ten years of peace. Goku is talking about the moment, and from their timeline perspective, it's three years of peace (assuming this "Granolah saga" is the last saga before a possible timeskip, since it takes place in AGE 781).

But I can see how that may be a moot point and probably you can infer by that that it was "ten years of peace".
Mr. Slump wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:52 pmThough I guess, parentage-wise, Pan’s Saiyan genes has been too diluted at this point to become one at this point.
That was never a problem, as far as we're all concerned.

~ Day of the Machines ~

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun May 09, 2021 2:47 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 pm If the movie will be in CGI and the unexpected character ends up being Ribrianne, this fanbase is going to explode
I would and I know others that would adore seeing her in some capacity in a movie and the other universe main characters likeness Kale, Caulifla and Jiren to name a few. :)

However at best to hope for just a cameo few seconds at best if anything at all, still not expecting much showing of the other universes at this time with this film.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun May 09, 2021 3:11 pm

Could this be a chance to reboot Tarble? The "unexpected character" could refer to an ally as well.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun May 09, 2021 3:13 pm

Now that the official announcement has been made, I guess I can make a post with my thoughts... though, first of all, it's kind of strange and underwhelming to see that everything about the announcement was already leaked beforehand. When the actual article was finally made readable, there was nothing more to get out of it.
Anyway, what I'm mainly wondering about is when this movie will take place. The most likely spot in the timeline I can think of is between Broly and Moro, since if it happens later on, the movie will have to address the Moro arc in some way, and that can become kinda awkward. (You can't ignore it due to developments such as Goku's access to UI.) If this really is the same thing they've been working on since DBS: Broly, too, which I'm not sure I fully believe, then the Granolah arc at the very least had not been written yet.
The unexpected character, or as Herms puts it, the slightly unexpected character, is going to be someone who already exists in the canon, I think, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're not the villain. It could for example be someone like Tarble. As for who the villain could be, there's zero way of predicting that at the moment, so I won't bother trying.
I'm looking forward to hearing more when the time comes. Since they only said that it'll be out in 2022, I wouldn't be surprised if that means December 2022, so we might be waiting for a good while, but something's going to show up eventually and it'll probably be easier to speculate then.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 09, 2021 3:16 pm

Gt91 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:11 pm Could this be a chance to reboot Tarble? The "unexpected character" could refer to an ally as well.
The only thing to "reboot" about Tarble is this unnecessary connection he has to Vegeta (actually, most of the characters have needless connections, like, if we take away that Muten Roshi has a sister, that Freeza has a brother, that Bulma has a sister, even that Goku has a brother, we won't lose anything).

Dragon Ball can barely deliver a good emotional bond between family members so I don't understand why they bother to come up with a character and say that they have family ties to someone else other than for a cheap "shocking value".

Oh and his hair, too. His hair definitely needs a reboot.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun May 09, 2021 3:21 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:16 pm
Gt91 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:11 pm Could this be a chance to reboot Tarble? The "unexpected character" could refer to an ally as well.
The only thing to "reboot" about Tarble is this unnecessary connection he has to Vegeta (actually, most of the characters have needless connections, like, if we take away that Muten Roshi has a sister, that Freeza has a brother, that Bulma has a sister, even that Goku has a brother, we won't lose anything).

Dragon Ball can barely deliver a good emotional bond between family members so I don't understand why they bother to come up with a character and say that they have family ties to someone else other than for a cheap "shocking value".

Oh and his hair, too. His hair definitely needs a reboot.
In the manga he had a very different design (he was taller, different hair ecc)

http://pm1.narvii.com/6332/30d5fa4f160a ... c71_00.jpg

A "Shallot" design would be cool.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 09, 2021 3:24 pm

Was he taller? It's been awhile since I last read it but it didn't feel like he was taller. However, his hair in the manga is the same as Vegeta's hair.

He needs to stand out more, having his own unique hair would be very much welcome (or, if for some reason he really needs to be Vegeta's brother, give him Bardock TV Special's Vegeta's hair, you know, with the bangs, loved that hairstyle!).

~ Day of the Machines ~

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sun May 09, 2021 3:26 pm

Gokuu is learning MnG in base, so for the movie to happen after Granola arc they can just mention the events relevant to the movie, and that he has been following Whis's RoF training and that is not compatible with SS.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun May 09, 2021 3:47 pm

I can't be the only one who finds the fact that this will release nearly a decade after Battle of Gods downright terrifying.

Also, I find the vocal portion of people wanting some kind of rehash puzzling. We already had Freeza: Part II and Broli: Electric Boogaloo and people want Golden Cell and CanonCoola. :? Why the aversion to brand new original stories with new characters?
Thanos before Thanos was cool.