Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:42 am

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:06 am To be honest, I think I get where MyVisionity is coming from, to a certain extent in regards to replacement score vs original; the OG Funi Z dub with the replacement score is the experience intended by Funimation in 1999-2002, whereas the "Remastered" version with the Kikuchi score is like trying to polish a turd; it's really just a waste of polish, and trying to turn something into another thing that it was never meant to be.

If Funi had any interest in doing a proper dub, they would have had to start from scratch, so instead they sort of pandered to the hardcore crowd by bringing in the original score, and they pandered to what the actors wanted (mainly Chris Sabat, from what I've observed) by allowing a limited amount of redubbing of dialogue, but ultimately none of this really amounted to anything productive, and Kai would end up being a far better version of what "Remastered" was sort of pretending to be.

As for how OG DB fits into this, I have no idea. Funi's handling of the original series never made sense to me. I've openly theorised about a million different ways it could make sense, but I think the reality of it is that Funi's crew had no idea what to do with the show, and it really shows. That dub is a fucking mess; it can't decide from one scene to another whether it wants to be a 4Kids-style TV dub (complete with the original score) or a Funi Z-style uncut dub except without the replacement score.
I don't get why so many people see this dub as such a step up from Funi's work on Z and GT, it's just as bad as those two, just more confused, and originally produced with the original score, a decision that still baffles me to this day.
The score thing is what really amazes me, because other than the old dub of eps 1-13 and Movie 1 from 1994/1995 the original series didn't have a replacement score forced unto it while both Z and GT did. Kikuchi's music being left intact seems so unlike the way that FUNi was operating at that point in regard to the series, so even with the dub not being good overall it was a surprising decision especially in that early span of a few years.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:53 am

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:06 am To be honest, I think I get where MyVisionity is coming from, to a certain extent in regards to replacement score vs original; the OG Funi Z dub with the replacement score is the experience intended by Funimation in 1999-2002,
But what experience did Funimation intend? Their own motivation of creating a new score is “with our own score we can make royalties every second it is played. It’s not like Funimation had any true vision for Dragon Ball Z other than “whatever we think will make us the most money” none of Funimation’s scores has any identity other than “This is what kids thinks is cool right?” And yeah at the end of the day the original score doesn’t make the Z dub good. The correct music doesn’t change stupid dialog or bad acting but it is one less assault on the ears.

I don't get why so many people see this dub as such a step up from Funi's work on Z and GT, it's just as bad as those two, just more confused, and originally produced with the original score, a decision that still baffles me to this day.
It is a step up though. A very small step up that doesn’t save the dub and make it good but a step up none the less.

It’s like do I want to drink flat soda or flat soda that I just saw someone spit in? I’ll drink the flat soda but I’d rather have soda that isn’t flat and hasn’t been spat in.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:56 am

Right, I don't get this "all or nothing" mentality. Small steps are what leads to improvement, and anything is a step in the right direction, even if the rest of the product isn't up to par.

I think Dragon Ball is more in line with their Yu Yu Hakusho dub which started at the exact same time, where they were starting to make the right choices but still punching things up liberally. On the flipside, GT was clearly Barry Watson trying to keep in line with the DBZ philosophy since it was still action oriented and a continuation, but taking it to the dumbest extreme.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:30 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:56 am
I think Dragon Ball is more in line with their Yu Yu Hakusho dub which started at the exact same time, where they were starting to make the right choices but still punching things up liberally. On the flipside, GT was clearly Barry Watson trying to keep in line with the DBZ philosophy since it was still action oriented and a continuation, but taking it to the dumbest extreme.
Yu Yu Hakusho is probably the best comparison to the OG Dragon Ball dub. A step in the right direction but not quite the quality Funimation would later be known for.

I do think Funimation had tried to do right by Dragon Ball in the “Well this won’t sell as well as Z might as well try to appeal to the more hardcore anime fans” it’s just well Barry Watson and general incompetence all around and the still relatively inexperienced cast (yeah they improved but they really only had two years of experience by that point) kind of doomed the dub. To this day I’ll never understand the logic of downplaying the sexuality when the dvds have a TV14 rating on them (and no it can’t be because of the Toonami airings as the Toonami edit often softened already tame dialog) but I imagine it’s the same wish washy logic where uncut DBZ still refused to have any swearing until circa 2003 and still downplayed death at times. Having Roshi ask to walk Bulma around the beach instead of touching her boobs isn’t going to change the fact that Oolong!Bulma still ends up flashing him.

The quality of the scripts really did just seem to depend on the writer. Ward Perry, Crystal Batten, and Jared Hedges usually turned in good work but Christopher Neel and Sean Teague not so much. And unfortunately Teague ending up as the main writer kind of killed the dub.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:30 am
Yu Yu Hakusho is probably the best comparison to the OG Dragon Ball dub. A step in the right direction but not quite the quality Funimation would later be known for.

I do think Funimation had tried to do right by Dragon Ball in the “Well this won’t sell as well as Z might as well try to appeal to the more hardcore anime fans” it’s just well Barry Watson and general incompetence all around and the still relatively inexperienced cast (yeah they improved but they really only had two years of experience by that point) kind of doomed the dub. To this day I’ll never understand the logic of downplaying the sexuality when the dvds have a TV14 rating on them (and no it can’t be because of the Toonami airings as the Toonami edit often softened already tame dialog) but I imagine it’s the same wish washy logic where uncut DBZ still refused to have any swearing until circa 2003 and still downplayed death at times. Having Roshi ask to walk Bulma around the beach instead of touching her boobs isn’t going to change the fact that Oolong!Bulma still ends up flashing him.

The quality of the scripts really did just seem to depend on the writer. Ward Perry, Crystal Batten, and Jared Hedges usually turned in good work but Christopher Neel and Sean Teague not so much. And unfortunately Teague ending up as the main writer kind of killed the dub.
The script for the the 23rd TB arc is notably waaaaaaay more fucked up and out there than just about everything else, too. Like already mentioned, there's the whole "alien" thing, Goku's cheesy ass proposal, and general chicanery.
Cold World (Fanfic)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:39 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:59 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:30 am

The script for the the 23rd TB arc is notably waaaaaaay more fucked up and out there than just about everything else, too. Like already mentioned, there's the whole "alien" thing, Goku's cheesy ass proposal, and general chicanery.
It seems that arc in particular is the worst of the dub script wise than all the others combined, they really seemed to drop the ball most of all there.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Because its DEE BEE ZEE BECUZ IT HAZ A GROWNUP GOKU.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:14 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:56 am Right, I don't get this "all or nothing" mentality. Small steps are what leads to improvement, and anything is a step in the right direction, even if the rest of the product isn't up to par.
Small steps in the right direction? What kind of shit is that? It's a business, not arts and crafts. If FUNimation don't want to get stomped out by the competition, they have to play hard and that means big fucking swings. If the rest of the product ain't up to par, then you chuck it out the window. And if for some reason you don't, then don't insult the consumers or embarrass yourself with the competition by coming out with half-assed bullshit products. Just go hard in the opposite direction instead. At least then you can be honest with everybody.

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:56 am I think Dragon Ball is more in line with their Yu Yu Hakusho dub which started at the exact same time, where they were starting to make the right choices but still punching things up liberally. On the flipside, GT was clearly Barry Watson trying to keep in line with the DBZ philosophy since it was still action oriented and a continuation, but taking it to the dumbest extreme.
And look at how Hakusho turned out. Another half-assed release. At least with GT, they took it to an extreme, dumb or not. They saw what was working for them and pushed forward without compromise. That's how you do.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:34 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:14 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:56 am Right, I don't get this "all or nothing" mentality. Small steps are what leads to improvement, and anything is a step in the right direction, even if the rest of the product isn't up to par.
Small steps in the right direction? What kind of shit is that? It's a business, not arts and crafts. If FUNimation don't want to get stomped out by the competition, they have to play hard and that means big fucking swings. If the rest of the product ain't up to par, then you chuck it out the window. And if for some reason you don't, then don't insult the consumers or embarrass yourself with the competition by coming out with half-assed bullshit products. Just go hard in the opposite direction instead. At least then you can be honest with everybody.

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:56 am I think Dragon Ball is more in line with their Yu Yu Hakusho dub which started at the exact same time, where they were starting to make the right choices but still punching things up liberally. On the flipside, GT was clearly Barry Watson trying to keep in line with the DBZ philosophy since it was still action oriented and a continuation, but taking it to the dumbest extreme.
And look at how Hakusho turned out. Another half-assed release. At least with GT, they took it to an extreme, dumb or not. They saw what was working for them and pushed forward without compromise. That's how you do.
Not a single word you just wrote makes any kind of sense in the context of the post you replied to. The "product not up to par" that i am speaking of is *dun dun dun* THE DRAGON BALL Z DUB. If Dragon Ball is half-assed, than DBZ is as no-assed as Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus.

And I like how you singled out Yu Yu Hakusho as evidence that it doesn't work when it's not only one of their most successful properties, but its dub is strangely well regarded even in spite of its creative liberties in part because of the bare minimum of respect given to it.

The only reason Dragon Ball isn't as successful as Z in America is because of its perception as a prequel and it's the part of the series without all of the big earth destroying blasts and transformations that has defined DB's image. Even in Japan and other countries that got the series faithfully in order, original DB doesn't get even a tenth as much attention as Z.
Cold World (Fanfic)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:14 pm

Seriously, do you just throw words into a blender and spit them out?

You do realize “a step in the right direction” applies to businesses all the fucking time?

Does it not say anything to you that Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT are the goddamn outliers when it comes to Funimation’s approach to dubbing anime?

Do you honestly think if Funimation, as a company whose interested in making money, thought their approach to Z and GT, was sustainable they wouldn’t do it to ALL their acquisitions?

They didn’t do it all correctly so they should just go all out on making it terrible is one of these stupidest damn things things I’ve ever heard.

And Yuyu Hakusho is one of their most beloved imports meanwhile GT isn’t exactly well regarded for that damn rap song.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:34 pm And I like how you singled out Yu Yu Hakusho as evidence that it doesn't work when it's not only one of their most successful properties, but its dub is strangely well regarded even in spite of its creative liberties in part because of the bare minimum of respect given to it.
It's commercially successful, yes, but in terms of faithfulness, internal consistency, integrity? Half-assed. The audiences deserve better than the bare minimum of respect.

And as you said, it's "strangely" well regarded in spite of the creative liberties. Meaning there's nothing straightforward or normal going on here at all. Funimation went half-assed and got lucky with YYH but the end result is still the end result. Even more deception and another divided fanbase. Where's the authenticity?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:42 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 pm

And as you said, it's "strangely" well regarded in spite of the creative liberties. Meaning there's nothing straightforward or normal going on here at all. Funimation went half-assed and got lucky with YYH but the end result is still the end result. Even more deception and another divided fanbase. Where's the authenticity?
So lemme get this straight - what the audience actually deserves is no respect, not the bare minimum?

I'm done. You're quite clearly fucking with us, evident in how you basically ignore every part of posts pointing out your use of insane troll logic.
Cold World (Fanfic)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 pm You do realize “a step in the right direction” applies to businesses all the fucking time?
I meant *small* steps specifically. I was arguing for more extreme steps. And I know businesses might do it sometimes, but I would imagine that if they took the "small steps" approach *all* the time then they would be eaten alive.

They didn’t do it all correctly so they should just go all out on making it terrible is one of these stupidest damn things things I’ve ever heard.
Honestly though if you've gone so far in one direction, why not just keep going and hit that extreme, so that way you not only reach the most serious, devoted, die-hard fans from either side, but you also end up staying true to your vision and see all the hard work and effort fulfilled. As opposed to stopping short of a complete and authentic product and turning around to put out some middle-of-the-road shit that's either dishonest, unsatisfying, or commercially successful but critically mixed.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:57 am

Why stop with putting Faulconer music to OG DB? Put it on Yu Yu Hakusho, One Piece (Because having a replacement soundtrack worked SO WELL!) and heck! Lets put it on Fruits Basket! Faulconer is the sountrack to our lives. That gay Lets Stay Together Itsumo shit cannot compare to FAULCONER.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:09 pm

...I like Team Faulconer's music. It should have sucked, considering the reason for its existence, and the relative inexperience of its musicians... But instead, it's one of the best OSTs I've ever heard. I too would've liked a Team Faulconer score for Dragon Ball.

FUNimation may not've respected the show, but the musicians they hired sure did.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:40 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:09 pm ...I like Team Faulconer's music. It should have sucked, considering the reason for its existence, and the relative inexperience of its musicians... But instead, it's one of the best OSTs I've ever heard. I too would've liked a Team Faulconer score for Dragon Ball.

FUNimation may not've respected the show, but the musicians they hired sure did.
There were less techno elements in one than the other so it just wouldn’t have worked no matter which way you look at it.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:42 am

Fionordequester wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:09 pm FUNimation may not've respected the show, but the musicians they hired sure did.
They really didn’t. The show lost its “Kung fu” style music and feel with the addition of this sci-fi style instead. The music was good but in no way does it belong in Dragon Ball.

Funimation at this point should just restart the entire series and rename it journey to the west and change everything, add mondo cool jokes and other references. They’ve scorched the show so much it’s difficult to have a conversation with anyone who is a hardcore dub fan.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:57 am

Aim wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:42 am They really didn’t.
No, actually, they did—Scott Morgan, for example, hated that they had to score wall-to-wall, and tried his best to use ambient music where he felt like there should have been silence.

You can knock their style & methods, but you can't knock their sincerity or reverence.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:12 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:57 am
Aim wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:42 am They really didn’t.
No, actually, they did—Scott Morgan, for example, hated that they had to score wall-to-wall, and tried his best to use ambient music where he felt like there should have been silence.

You can knock their style & methods, but you can't knock their sincerity or reverence.
Even setting aside the wall to wall aspect the score just does not fit the show at all.