"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:59 am

Damnit Toriyama, help this guy with the action sequences, they're boring

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:58 am

All I feel it really needs are some larger panels in places to better sell the sense of speed.

Goku and Granolah launching themselves at each other in the forest could work so long as it felt fast and impactful.

Even as it is there are multiple panels in those pages that are just some small amount of real estate away from really selling that feeling.

But as it stands I agree that it feels a little too slow and mannered. With the idea that the two have been ramping up and Goku has now hit Blue, this is the moment to really let the movement feel rapid and huge.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:50 am

I do like how Granolah is using his scarf as a weapon quite a lot. First he used it to tie up Macki's hands and swing her around, now he's using it as momentum to swing round a tree.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:39 am

Can't wait for this chapter to come out! The hype is real!

BOEGVELD

Post by BOEGVELD » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:18 pm

Seems like this chapter is mostly gonna be Goku and Granolah fighting, which I am not mad about. I do hope the rest will be a bit more 'impressive' though.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:30 pm

It's worth noting, since a number of people commented on it at the end of the last Chapter, that Goku's Blue aura seems to be gone when he's fighting, now. So, there's that.

The rest will have to wait for the publication of the Chapter, I guess. Looking forward to seeing Vegeta's insights on the Cerealians.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:49 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:30 pm It's worth noting, since a number of people commented on it at the end of the last Chapter, that Goku's Blue aura seems to be gone when he's fighting, now. So, there's that.

The rest will have to wait for the publication of the Chapter, I guess. Looking forward to seeing Vegeta's insights on the Cerealians.
So, probably to complete SSB, while using UI, takes a while, like an acclimatization process.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:17 pm

I think the initial activation of the form probably doesn't deplete him of much energy. It's if he flares up the aura too much afterwards or turns the transformation off and on again that the depletion takes effect.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:49 am

When GT ended on TV, I was sad and wanted more... now, 20 years later, I am actually bored to hell with a series I loved ever since.
I miss the gradual progression and designs from the past manga and Super was actually fun chapter in the 10 years period after Buu.
I hope they really do something, because the manga is losing me steadily from the middle of Moro arc and I don't know what sequel is the worst, Saint Seiya Next Dimension or this.

Not really happy about waiting a month for bunch of panels about ki blasts and fist blows exchanged with snarky comments from protagonists, adding nothing new. Oh, Goku is perfecting his Smurf ice cream Saiyan form and trying to use it naturally... where have I seen that before. Granolah is a ki blast sniper, wasn't that on Tournament of Power?

Thumbs down, big time. Change my mind.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:13 am

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:49 am When GT ended on TV, I was sad and wanted more... now, 20 years later, I am actually bored to hell with a series I loved ever since.
I miss the gradual progression and designs from the past manga and Super was actually fun chapter in the 10 years period after Buu.
I hope they really do something, because the manga is losing me steadily from the middle of Moro arc and I don't know what sequel is the worst, Saint Seiya Next Dimension or this.

Not really happy about waiting a month for bunch of panels about ki blasts and fist blows exchanged with snarky comments from protagonists, adding nothing new. Oh, Goku is perfecting his Smurf ice cream Saiyan form and trying to use it naturally... where have I seen that before. Granolah is a ki blast sniper, wasn't that on Tournament of Power?

Thumbs down, big time. Change my mind.
I don't think there's much anyone could say that would change your opinion, but I have a rather... unorthodox answer: it's probably best to just give it a rest for a while, or at least find something else to read/watch/do in the meantime without dwelling too much on waiting for the next issue like it's the only thing to look forward to. The Dragon Ball revival has been going on for around eight years already, with the manga alone going for around six years by now, so it's only natural to get a little fatigued after that long. Like everything serialised in V-Jump, Super is a side-story of a franchise that's already had its time in the spotlight. It comes around every month, gives you a nice little dopamine rush, then life goes on.

You're not completely alone in your opinion. I won't lie, I've started to see some cracks in the Granola arc so far, where it feels like the story isn't progressing as fast as it should. I never thought I'd be missing the manga's lightning fast pace from the earlier arcs, but here we are. The first meeting between Goku and Granola has been hyped so much after several issues of set-up, training and lore exposition, but it pretty much went exactly like every first enemy encounter in the series.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:18 am

Personally I found the drafts pretty boring. It’s just fighting and except the use of the forest terrain there isn’t anything I found interesting about the fights. Hoping the full chapter is more interesting.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:30 am

Aren't the drafts and leaks always like that? lame and boring and not enough to know what the chapter might be about?

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:44 am

Ryokutya's Impressions about the new chapter

As vague as ever. But last time a lot of people (myself included) bet Vegeta would be the one defeated twice and it turns out it wasn't him, so I'm not sure the ''complete defeat'' refers to Goku tbh, though that's likely.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:51 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:30 am Aren't the drafts and leaks always like that? lame and boring and not enough to know what the chapter might be about?
I usually find them more interesting than this. At least there is usually something to discuss but this month there was really nothing.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:57 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:30 am Aren't the drafts and leaks always like that? lame and boring and not enough to know what the chapter might be about?
Not that time when the drafts showed Bardock in the flashback and Goku MUI vs Whis :lol:

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:22 pm

Geekdom mentioned at the beginning of his video that he released earlier today, that the “late” spoilers as of these last few months: “Might be rectified soon.”

I wonder what that is about…

I hope he’s right about that.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:37 pm

I hope the panels are only in the beginning of the chapter, and the second half will have all the juicy meat. At least let Vegeta give some exposition on the Cerealians.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:44 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:37 pm I hope the panels are only in the beginning of the chapter, and the second half will have all the juicy meat. At least let Vegeta give some exposition on the Cerealians.

They are always the first few pages of the chapter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:16 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:44 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:37 pm I hope the panels are only in the beginning of the chapter, and the second half will have all the juicy meat. At least let Vegeta give some exposition on the Cerealians.

They are always the first few pages of the chapter
Exactly. I don't like to jump to conclusions based off of a mere 2 pages
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:57 am

New spoilers:
Can anyone translate them?

Edit: more spoilers: