"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jack Bz
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:35 pm

Interesting move seeing Vegeta using regular rocks as hakai bombs essentially. I guess the training we saw earlier was quite literal in the application.

Jury's still out on why he doesn't attempt to just hakai Granolah himself but I guess that's coming later on

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:45 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:34 pmIt was mentioned before that the destruction of Planet Cereal actually happened 40 years ago, so Vegeta would be 10 years old at the time.
It was also stated that it happened forty years ago, wasn't it? I think I remember there being two different information on it. Either way...
DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:34 pmHowever thats also 4 years after planet Vegeta was destroyed soooo.

Yeah this is a gaping plot hole.
... You are right. AGE 781 - 40 = AGE 741. That's two years after Vegeta's destruction (going by Jaco/Dragon Ball Minus. Or, like you already said, four years going by the TV Special/old information).

Seems like someone has made another mistake with the chronology. :?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:45 pm

From the looks of it, Vegeta used Telekinesis to pull rocks from the ground and used Hakai to kinda do a Hakai version of the Hellzone Grenade.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 pm

For the timeline stuff, just assume that they're not being literal, it's much easier to make it work that way. Planet Cereal wasn't devastated exactly 40 years ago, it was devastated roughly 40 years ago, for example. It's natural to round things up and down like that when you talk, at least more so than being cripplingly precise with everything you say. I say after re-choosing my words 10 times
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:01 am

Trust me, I'm the first in line to round up things (which is why Bulma not seeing Goku is still not a problem. I use that to "fix" it, while I still can, that is).

But how do you round two or more years? If it's closer to 45, they should've said "roughly 45 years". We know they aren't shy of using "roughly", "almost", "about", "approximately" or any similar words. Heck, they even stated "three Saiyans born almost at the same time" during one of the trailers for Dragon Ball Super. They knew that Broly and Vegeta are older than Goku, even if it's by a "small" gap.

I'm on board to assume that that's the case: "roughly 45 years". That means: AGE 781 - 45 = AGE 736. Vegeta was most certainly out of incubator by that point. I just can't ignore what's officially stated, though.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:38 am

It seems that Granolah'd trauma and plan blinded him completely to the point of negation to realize the truth He's too immature, naive, and basically gave his trust to the Heeters without thinking. His behaviour resemble the one of a Saiyan warrior.

Well, I like his character but I hope that somebody can kick his ass and make him calm so he can listen🤣

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:52 am

I'm going to make an effort to start commenting on the draft pages more. I would like to embrace the DBS manga as biweekly.

(and I'll be using Herms' translations as reference: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1415115571008475137 )

I also think it would benefit us English-speaking DB fans if more people interacted with the official DB Twitter account: https://twitter.com/DB_official_en

There aren't many responses to the posts, and the few posts are often spam or negative. If we want Shueisha to keep investing in/engaging with English-speaking fans, aside from sales, this might be one of the better ways to do it.

Chapter 73.5 (or "74 - 0.5")

Overall, I think Toyotaro is getting rougher with his drafts. I think that's a good thing. We can see the end result has continued to be solid (some would say improving), and it allows him to spend more time on other aspects of the chapter. His hand is beginning to draw without thinking~

I'm delighted every time a Sugarian appears.

Vegeta says that he was a kid when Cereal was conquered, so Granolah's grudge has nothing to do with him. I think that's interesting. On one hand, we can see he's not needlessly carrying the sins of his ancestors, which he seemed inclined to do at the beginning of the arc. On the other hand, he is certainly guilty for identical crimes. Ultimately, it seems like Vegeta is taking steps to hakai his past, but will he keep it up?

Vegeta slaps the ground and destroys the shrapnel. That page looks badass. I would've liked to see the 2nd panel take up more space on a page, but I still think the layout is effective. Vegeta destroying objects around Granolla was the only use I could imagine for hakai in this fight. Will the rest of this fight expand on this idea, or does Vegeta have more uses planned?

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:05 am

People on Twitter are confused as to why Vegeta is Hakaing rocks and what that will do and again I hate to use the Meme again but Dragon Ball Fans Can't Read. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who remembers the events of the last chapters but let me explain whats going on.

In Chapter 70 we see Vegeta training to use Hakai.

Beerus then says this:
Beerus Demonstrates and both Goku and Vegeta are shocked by the ammount of force released by simply destroying a small rock.
Beerus even says the explosion is the highlight of the technique. As its shown here the Hakai can be used in a final move way of simply erasing something from existence but also using the energy released from a destroyed object for attacks. which is what vegeta is doing here.

We have actually seen this before in the anime when Beerus used Energy Of Destruction to destroy half a planet:
So thats what's happening.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:48 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:05 am People on Twitter are confused as to why Vegeta is Hakaing rocks and what that will do and again I hate to use the Meme again but Dragon Ball Fans Can't Read. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who remembers the events of the last chapters but let me explain whats going on.

Beerus then says this:
Beerus Demonstrates and both Goku and Vegeta are shocked by the ammount of force released by simply destroying a small rock.
Beerus even says the explosion is the highlight of the technique. As its shown here the Hakai can be used in a final move way of simply erasing something from existence but also using the energy released from a destroyed object for attacks. which is what vegeta is doing here.

We have actually seen this before in the anime when Beerus used Energy Of Destruction to destroy half a planet:
I fully agree. Having many rocks (both smaller and larger ones) just straight up EXPLODE, a la Hakai style, right in Granolah’s face! Aswell as all around his body being surrounded by all sides, is definitely going to leave some damage on him… (even if it’s just minor) it IS still and can be used (as it is in this specific case), as an attack….

As for WHY Vegeta chose to do this rather than Hakai’ing Granolah himself…

The answer is simple.

Plot won’t allow it.

You always save your trump card / ultimate attack for last.

Because if Vegeta Hakai’s Granolah and succeeds.. Granolah is dead and the whole story is over…. (NOT going to happen.)

And if Vegeta Hakai’s Granolah and fails… Hakai is confirmed useless… Something that absolutely can not be allowed to happen either!!!

YET they still want Vegeta to test out his Hakai powers as soon as possible…! (And they certainly can’t wait to do that, as can’t I!)

So what do you do???!

You bring in rocks…!

Plain and simple… The Ultimate and ONLY proper solution….

I can not thank Toyotaro enough for his brilliance… (which should be self evident lol) xD

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:59 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:48 am
DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:05 am People on Twitter are confused as to why Vegeta is Hakaing rocks and what that will do and again I hate to use the Meme again but Dragon Ball Fans Can't Read. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who remembers the events of the last chapters but let me explain whats going on.

Beerus then says this:

I fully agree. Having many rocks (both smaller and larger ones) just straight up EXPLODE, a la Hakai style, right in Granolah’s face! Aswell as all around his body being surrounded by all sides, is definitely going to leave some damage on him… (even if it’s just minor) it IS still and can be used (as it is in this specific case), as an attack….

As for WHY Vegeta chose to do this rather than Hakai’ing Granolah himself…

The answer is simple.

Plot won’t allow it.

You always save your trump card / ultimate attack for last.

Because if Vegeta Hakai’s Granolah and succeeds.. Granolah is dead and the whole story is over…. (NOT going to happen.)

And if Vegeta Hakai’s Granolah and fails… Hakai is confirmed useless… Something that absolutely can not be allowed to happen either!!!

YET they still want Vegeta to test out his Hakai powers as soon as possible…! (And they certainly can’t wait to do that, as can’t I!)

So what do you do???!

You bring in rocks…!

Plain and simple… The Ultimate and ONLY proper solution….

I can not thank Toyotaro enough for his brilliance… (which should be self evident lol) xD
Wouldn't say brilliance since it's an easy form of using Hakai offensively, but I get your point since a lot of people were questioning it.

To me the reason Vegeta is going this route is also cemented in universe as... Vegeta doesn't want to kill Granolah. At least not yet. He's pulling the same thing he did with Cabba, after all.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:50 pm

Bit of a plus one on my earlier comment, but if simply erasing Matter can create such a powerful explosive force…then what if you used Hakai on Ki.

Perhaps the destruction of one’s own Ki could release an enormous amount of force, something the users own Ki couldn’t do on its own.

We might have even seen this done before with Beerus in Chapter 69:
So, I posit you this. Vegeta could cloak himself in Destruction so that Granolah can’t hit his Vitals, and then Use this Distructive Ki technique to utterly annihilate Granolah.

I even suggest a new super move of Vegeta. The Cataclysmic Bang Attack. Similar to the Big Bang Attack but he uses Hakai to make the explosion way stronger.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:10 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:50 pm Bit of a plus one on my earlier comment, but if simply erasing Matter can create such a powerful explosive force…then what if you used Hakai on Ki.

Perhaps the destruction of one’s own Ki could release an enormous amount of force, something the users own Ki couldn’t do on its own.

So, I posit you this. Vegeta could cloak himself in Destruction so that Granolah can’t hit his Vitals, and then Use this Distructive Ki technique to utterly annihilate Granolah.

I even suggest a new super move of Vegeta. The Cataclysmic Bang Attack. Similar to the Big Bang Attack but he uses Hakai to make the explosion way stronger.
I wonder, if the anime adapts this arc and this is how it goes, how they'll get around the obvious elephant in the room that Toppo already used Destruction both offensively and defensively and Vegeta simply powered through it.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:39 am

Yuji wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:10 pm
DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:50 pm Bit of a plus one on my earlier comment, but if simply erasing Matter can create such a powerful explosive force…then what if you used Hakai on Ki.

I wonder, if the anime adapts this arc and this is how it goes, how they'll get around the obvious elephant in the room that Toppo already used Destruction both offensively and defensively and Vegeta simply powered through it.
I think a decent excuse would be that since Toppo had only just decided to use His Destruction Power, he hasn’t mastered it yet. Beerus even says so himself as he had to charge his Hakai attack even when he was holding back as to not destroy anyone due to the tournament rules.

So he was just shooting out pure energy of Destruction, rather than my theory of using Hakai to destroy your ki and cause immense explosive force.

I really hope I’m right because I like the idea of Goku becoming a better Martial Artist and using Ultra Instinct and being a graceful faster fighter, while Vegeta becomes a more Hax oriented fighter who isn’t as physically strong or fast as Ultra Instinct is able to contend with him due to raw explosive power.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:26 am

There is no “Destruction Energy” in the manga. Even now, with more robust applications for destruction coming up, it’s never been implied to be a specific type of energy as in the anime. It’s simply a technique that completely erases targets, which we’re now learning can be wielded in different ways for different offensive (and maybe defensive, though we haven’t seen that yet) effects.

The idea of destroying one’s own ki attacks for extra impact is certainly an interesting one.

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:17 pm

Here a little Dragon Ball Super chapter 74 summary I can share with you :wink:

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:36 pm

redon wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:17 pm Here a little Dragon Ball Super chapter 74 summary I can share with you :wink:

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:38 pm

If that summary is true I'll print out every post of mine and eat it

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:38 pm If that summary is true I'll print out every post of mine and eat it
Pics or it didn't happen :lol:

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:38 pm If that summary is true I'll print out every post of mine and eat it
I won't even know how to react if this summary were to be true. The description honestly made Toppo's GoD mode seems cool in comparison.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Someone please edit off the eyebrows 😂