Welp, I’m done, never thought I’d say it, but I’m done.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Welp, I’m done, never thought I’d say it, but I’m done.

Post by Aim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:15 pm

I remember when I saw the leaks of chapter 74, honestly, at this point I wasn’t surprised, this is just the type of thing I’d expect Toyotaro to pull after going so well. You can really tell it’s not a Toriyama transformation either, it’s almost as bad as Toppo’s bullshit from the anime. This has got to be one of the ugliest, fan made canon transformations of all time. At this point I will only regard Toriyama’s stories as canon.

Credit where credit is due, fight scenes and scenery were amazing, it’s just this kind of shit that screams “ONG SHITTIER DESIGN MEANS COOLER” is gross to me.

One may argue that Super Saiyan God and SSGSS are basically fan made, in which I say, it is so Toriyama-like to do what he did, it was simple and not at all an ugly change.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: Welp, I’m done, never thought I’d say it, but I’m done.

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:01 pm

Maybe it'll grow on you. When I first saw his face I didn't like it, but after seeing the full design and reading the chapter I really like it a lot. I enjoyed this chapter so much that I've actually reread it multiple times which I rarely do.

As for Toriyamas involvement in the design, nothing gets printed without his approval, so even if he didn't design it he at least liked it. It actually looks similar to one of Toriyamas early concept designs for SS3, so there's a good chance he designed it himself.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:19 pm

Felt that for a second too. If it help, this is how I came to accept it:
Both MnG and Hakai are just technique so there is no much sense of having a transformation. Transformations occur to saiyajins when bringing out hidden power, is not crazy that they also occur when bringing out such basic and powerful instincts. MnG is a technique based on a fighting instinct, and it procs a transformation with elements of SS/G for the saiyajins; Hakai is a technique based on the destructive instinct, and it procs a transformation with elements of Oozaru. Its less subtle and more ugly, but it is thematically appropriate and has some sense.

Since the original manga, aside from Minus, DB stories are not really Toriyama canon; they are retold, changed and filled-in versions of the unknown canon stories. Even DBS:Broly is just more/almost canon. if we get confirmation that this SSHakai does not exist or look like that in his version, one could just choose to ignore it (and if you don't care about the canon you can do it even if it does, like many others do)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:27 pm

The manga is dead to me now.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:35 am

I don't think it's ugly, but as someone who also likes Vegeta I can understand why some people would be frustrated as it does feel like fans who have wanted to see him unlock Super Saiyan 3 are still being strung along.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 am

Yeah, i think the transformations are getting a little goofy at this point.

I always felt Super Saiyan Blue looked very tacky and that Goku and Vegeta should have just focused on improving their base forms now that some of Super Saiyan God was absorbed into them. With the ritual being used as a last resort like fusion.

Now we have Super Saiyan Blue, Super Saiyan Blue Evolution, Super Saiyan God on will, Ultra Instinct Sign, Mastered Ultra Instinct, this. It's getting incredibly stupid.

I would rather see Dragon Ball end than see it become so half assed. I'll stick around for the occasional movie. But meh.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:17 am

Its par for the course of modern Dragon Ball at this point. I expect nothing from it and I'm still let down.

At least the panel before he transformed with the bloodshot eyes looked good :lol:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:39 am

Personally, i ve been done at middle of Super anime, i ve occasionally checked episode or two. But, that was it, manga was bad too. Also, am i only one, who dislike most new characters design wise? They all look so uninspired and copy & paste, with exception of some characters from Tournament of Power, like Ribrianne.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 am

It's strange how official Dragon Ball canon has now reached an AF-tier amount of transformations at this point. At least some of them aren't necessarily Super Saiyan forms (this and UI), but at the end of the day they're basically Super Saiyan forms but just not called as such. It was cool back in 2013 when we started to get a couple of new forms, but we really don't need to explore the entire color canvas for hair colors. I really don't like the fact that a brand new, canon transformation in Dragon Ball has been introduced and I feel almost nothing.

It almost seems like they think introducing a new form every so often is necessary to keep interest, but I don't think that's the case. If anything, it hurts my enjoyment. A new form should be a very rare and special occasion. I actually think this looks fairly cool but chill out.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm

My expectations are too low at this point and I love Dragon Ball too much. I'm a proponent of simplifying the franchise, streamlining things, etc. The implication of removing unnecessary transformations was one of the main things that excited me about RoF. And I hate palatte-swap recolor forms.

That said, I don't even mind the new forms. We've been heading in this direction for so long that I expect it. My expectations are so low that I'm simply excited that its more than a simple hair recolor. I mean, it's that with the SSJ3 face and muscles. The aura is always banging though, you have to give them that! They always nail the aura.

Just give me eye color and aura change for these forms and we're golden. Been saying this since 2016. The slight demeanor change is nice too. Hair is unnecessary and still makes no sense. Is it a specific type of ki that's doing that or what?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:37 pm

I think the character arc is ridiculous but hey, that's why I have more than one interest and also, like, just...come up with my own stories, original and derivative. It's okay to no like things. It is not okay to hurt yourself by subjecting yourself to things you don't like.

Yes, I need to take my own advice more often.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:31 pm

Aim wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:15 pm I remember when I saw the leaks of chapter 74, honestly, at this point I wasn’t surprised, this is just the type of thing I’d expect Toyotaro to pull after going so well. You can really tell it’s not a Toriyama transformation either, it’s almost as bad as Toppo’s bullshit from the anime. This has got to be one of the ugliest, fan made canon transformations of all time. At this point I will only regard Toriyama’s stories as canon.

Credit where credit is due, fight scenes and scenery were amazing, it’s just this kind of shit that screams “ONG SHITTIER DESIGN MEANS COOLER” is gross to me.

One may argue that Super Saiyan God and SSGSS are basically fan made, in which I say, it is so Toriyama-like to do what he did, it was simple and not at all an ugly change.
You sound like an Eagles fan man, You'll be back next season :P
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:39 pm

I'm just going to assume that Vegeta's new form is his godly version of SSJ3, with SSJB & SSJBE being his godly variants of SSJ & SSJ2 respectively. Because, why not?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Honestly, I think if you’re going to give Vegeta another transformation, I would prefer to have it be tied to his Saiyan heritage. I don’t understand why ‘God of Destruction’ needs to be a transformation. Can Beerus and the other Hakaishins transform?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:04 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:31 pm
Aim wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:15 pm I remember when I saw the leaks of chapter 74, honestly, at this point I wasn’t surprised, this is just the type of thing I’d expect Toyotaro to pull after going so well. You can really tell it’s not a Toriyama transformation either, it’s almost as bad as Toppo’s bullshit from the anime. This has got to be one of the ugliest, fan made canon transformations of all time. At this point I will only regard Toriyama’s stories as canon.

I'm tempted to sig this but its too long.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:14 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:31 pm

I actually AM an Eagles fan, but I've been done with DBS since a little bit into Moro arc. I just hear about the leaks nowadays and then go back to forgetting the manga is a thing.

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm

"Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:46 pm

You just joined. You dont know GT...ERRRRRRR... Kanzenshuu!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:18 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:46 pm You just joined. You dont know GT...ERRRRRRR... Kanzenshuu!
I'm afraid I didn't understand this reference, but anyway! It seems appropriate to complement that jumping the gun seems to be a trend here too (I mean where it's not a trend, right?).

The amount of people saying "I'm out" or "that's trash, fanfic tier!" because of leaks / out of context stuff and then when the chapter ends up being actually good these people either disappear completely or say "well, it wasn't that bad in the end..." ALSO is not funny

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:23 am

Something is telling me you arent new to this forum after all... did you lurk before joining?