"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:24 pm

Yay! Bardock is a good guy and will be awarded Super Saiyan God! kidding Nice that Bardock is still involved and hopefully this means Goku will at least get to know who his father was. :thumbup:

Wait, is it really "forty years ago"? Shouldn't it be "fifty years ago"? :eh:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Not a fan of the continued whitewashing of Bardock, but curious to see if it's handled with nuance and subtlety.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:54 pm

I hope that the story will still be critical of Bardock for being a genocidal fucker but at the same time this fulfills my personal interest in seeing this character arc of his continued and fleshed out.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 pm

All I will say is that I'm cautiously optimistic about this revelation...

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:23 pm

redon wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:12 pm Dragon Ball Super chapter 76 summary that I can share with you :wink:
Yo, my man. Come by every chapter and post spoilers at full power like this. :thumbup:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:27 pm

I knew that Oozaru from the first chapter was Bardock! It was kind of obvious because of the scar and it didn’t help that the trailer for the arc pointed out his scar as well.

We’ve known since Minus and the Broly movie that despite being a ruthless Saiyan warrior, Bardock does show sympathy sometimes. I’m curious to see what role he plays in the backstory to this arc. I also can’t wait to see how Goku will react when he learns about his dad.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:29 pm

Something is definetly up with Monaito. Him suddently revealing to Granolah that Bardock saved him, and also him saying this:
I wanna see why he didn't tell Granolah about this. Its certainly interesting.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:34 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:29 pm Something is definetly up with Monaito. Him suddently revealing to Granolah that Bardock saved him, and also him saying this:
I wanna see why he didn't tell Granolah about this. Its certainly interesting.
Maybe Monaito is aware that Bardock actually saved Granola's life somehow? And to repay Bardock at the end of the arc Granola will somehow save Gokuu in a way? That'd be a nice little wrap-around.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:43 pm

Well... how exactly did Monaito upend Granola's life the first time?
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:58 pm

Ziegander wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:43 pm Well... how exactly did Monaito upend Granola's life the first time?
Maybe he was the one who hired the Saiyans to attack the planet and he's trying to repent? Could be interesting. Freeza being responsible for the attack seems like a red herring considering he hasn't shown up once in the arc.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:12 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Ziegander wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:43 pm Well... how exactly did Monaito upend Granola's life the first time?
Maybe he was the one who hired the Saiyans to attack the planet and he's trying to repent? Could be interesting. Freeza being responsible for the attack seems like a red herring considering he hasn't shown up once in the arc.

:problem:

You don't think? :think:

Naahhhhh...

nah, right? :?
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:48 pm

I have mixed feelings about Bardock’s involvement in the story. Out of all the Saiyan characters he’s my favourite so this is awesome, but at the same time what really separated Goku from the rest of the Saiyans was his good nature. Now it feels like a kind hearted Saiyan isn’t all that special, and I feel that devalues Goku a bit.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 am

omaro34 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:48 pm I have mixed feelings about Bardock’s involvement in the story. Out of all the Saiyan characters he’s my favourite so this is awesome, but at the same time what really separated Goku from the rest of the Saiyans was his good nature. Now it feels like a kind hearted Saiyan isn’t all that special, and I feel that devalues Goku a bit.
Wasn't Goku mother Gine already described as being kind hearted?

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:04 am

I'll reserve judgement for when the chapter's out, but I don't care for Bardock being brought up.

I especially don't want to see Goku react to any news of his father, because it kinda flies in the face of everything about him so far. Maybe some kind of gag where they expect him to care and then he kinda shrugs because he didn't know him. We could use some of that Tori charm.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:28 am

fleahop wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:04 am I'll reserve judgement for when the chapter's out, but I don't care for Bardock being brought up.

I especially don't want to see Goku react to any news of his father, because it kinda flies in the face of everything about him so far. Maybe some kind of gag where they expect him to care and then he kinda shrugs because he didn't know him. We could use some of that Tori charm.
It would really would be perfect! Or Goku didn’t realize he actually had parents, “ wow, I just figured I was born in the woods where Grandpa Gohan found me”, that sorta thing.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:29 am

Aw, so it's just Bardock. I wanted a Zalama story or something regarding the new Dragon Balls :yawn:

I guess no Heeters this chapter? Yeah, this will be a long arc no question.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:52 am

More timeline trouble. If we take the statement as true that planet cereal was attacked 40 years ago and that Dragon Ball Super Broly's timeline was accurate then Planet Cereal was attacked in age 733. Which would make the current age 773 rather than age 780.

If we go by the Ages in the Daizenshuu, Planet Cereal was attacked in age 730, making the current age 770.

According to the Ages in the Xenoverse games, then Planet Cereal was attacked in age 740, making it 780 now.

We just have to know what age is accurate and which one isn't. The most consistent one Is that the current age is age 773 and planet cereal was attacked in age 733 4 years before Frieza destroys Planet Vegeta.

I hope in 77 and further chapters we get a more concrete timeline because this is very confusing.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:31 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:52 am More timeline trouble. If we take the statement as true that planet cereal was attacked 40 years ago and that Dragon Ball Super Broly's timeline was accurate then Planet Cereal was attacked in age 733. Which would make the current age 773 rather than age 780.

If we go by the Ages in the Daizenshuu, Planet Cereal was attacked in age 730, making the current age 770.

According to the Ages in the Xenoverse games, then Planet Cereal was attacked in age 740, making it 780 now.

We just have to know what age is accurate and which one isn't. The most consistent one Is that the current age is age 773 and planet cereal was attacked in age 733 4 years before Frieza destroys Planet Vegeta.

I hope in 77 and further chapters we get a more concrete timeline because this is very confusing.
Actually that might be a typo. I could have sworn they said that it was 50 years ago. Isn’t that how the arc starts? I could be wrong.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:41 am

I really don't care Bardock appearing and I really don't like how much they're trying to inject so much heroism into his character without giving him much of baseline personality to work with or giving him a believable and organic character arc. All this whitewashing of Bardock only servers to dilute the unique circumstance of Goku's kind-hearted nature and actually devalues Goku's character as a whole.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:57 am

Is saving a few people from out of a whole planet you're actively a party to destroying really "whitewashing"? For someone like Bardock, this is a dust mote in the balance.