The Original Dragonball vs Dragonball Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

The Original Dragonball vs Dragonball Super

Post by omaro34 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:00 pm

I had an interesting convo with a friend the other day, they said they preferred Dragonball Super to the original Dragonball.

The two series are so different, and it's actually incredible where the series went. Goku went from a kid with a tail going on adventures on Earth, Z introduced space and other aliens, and finally Super introduced Gods as well as other universes.

But if you had to choose between the two series, which one would you prefer and why?

For me it's the Original Dragonball, Super's timeline doesn't add tension for me, and the original series had a good mix of adventure, incredible fights especially with hand to hand combat, and great tension.

What do you guys think?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The Original Dragonball vs Dragonball Super

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:11 pm

The original Dragon Ball is my favorite of them all (include Z, GT, and Super), with the Piccolo Jr. Saga being my favorite of the entire series, perhaps. Tension was at its peak during the King Piccolo and Piccolo Jr. arcs, despite later villains being much more powerful and the stakes becoming planet-and-universal-level. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the Roshi pervy-ness. With Super, I'll say it introduced one of the best DB franchise villains in Goku Black/Zamasu, and even if it's overly long, I really enjoy the TOP and Ultra Instinct. Episode 131 is one of my favorites in the entire franchise.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:54 pm

I prefer the original Dragon Ball over Z, so of course I prefer it over Super.

Though I would guess in general most fans do prefer Super over the original Dragon Ball Especially USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand/UK fans who see Super as a long awaited “sequel” to Z and Dragon Ball as a superfluous prequel thing.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:54 pm I prefer the original Dragon Ball over Z, so of course I prefer it over Super.

Though I would guess in general most fans do prefer Super over the original Dragon Ball Especially USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand/UK fans who see Super as a long awaited “sequel” to Z and Dragon Ball as a superfluous prequel thing.
I'd be willing to wager a lot of fans who feel this way haven't bothered to watch OG Dragon Ball.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:03 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:54 pm I prefer the original Dragon Ball over Z, so of course I prefer it over Super.

I'd be willing to wager a lot of fans who feel this way haven't bothered to watch OG Dragon Ball.
Probably not since it was on Toonami

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:34 pm

The first DB anime is, well, not a load of mediocre rubbish, sooooo...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:33 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:03 pm

Probably not since it was on Toonami
Some of the younger fans today haven't seen it at all. There's a generation of DB fans now that weren't even alive or toddlers when the OG was on Toonami.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 pm

While I watched all of DBZ as a child back in the 90s when it was first airing on toonami, I didn't actually watch the original Dragon Ball until Super came out - and I watched them simultaneously together.

I vastly prefer OG Dragon Ball to the super anime, and I probably prefer it to DBZ as well. Watching both the DBZ "prequel" and sequel at the same time when they were both new to me made me depressed with how shoddy Super was. During the RoF arc I couldn't believe the difference in quality and how far Super had fallen from what came before. Luckily the anime did pick up in quality after that and I mostly enjoyed by the time it was over. Great highs and miserable lows.

In terms of the mangas, I still think DB > DBZ > DBS, but the quality difference is less over the top.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:58 pm

The only way I could possibly understand anyone preferring Super over OG DB is either:
A. They only watched the first 13 or so episodes of DB and then gave up because it's "childish shit, it's not real DRAGON BALL ZEE!!"
or B. They only watch Dragon Ball for the fights.

I fit in neither category. In fact, I actually hate Super, I think it's worse than GT by a significant amount. DB, I consider the very best of Dragon Ball. It has the rough start before Toriyama figured out what Dragon Ball should be, but it also has most of the show's golden years before it started to decay after Freeza's defeat. (IMO the Cell and Boo arcs are very poorly written)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Small correction, but gods were introduced long before DBS.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:51 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:58 pm The only way I could possibly understand anyone preferring Super over OG DB is either:
A. They only watched the first 13 or so episodes of DB and then gave up because it's "childish shit, it's not real DRAGON BALL ZEE!!"

I fit in neither category. In fact, I actually hate Super, I think it's worse than GT by a significant amount. DB, I consider the very best of Dragon Ball. It has the rough start before Toriyama figured out what Dragon Ball should be, but it also has most of the show's golden years before it started to decay after Freeza's defeat. (IMO the Cell and Boo arcs are very poorly written)
Dragon Ball had better fights than both Super and Z combined.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:17 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:51 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:58 pm The only way I could possibly understand anyone preferring Super over OG DB is either:

Dragon Ball had better fights than both Super and Z combined.
The only fights that approach OG Dragon Ball imho are the first Goku vs. Vegeta fight and Goku vs. Cell. But it really doesn't get much better than Goku vs Piccolo Jr. and both Goku vs. Tenshinhan matches for me.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:54 pm

Super isn't as bad as some people say, but it's got nothing on OG DB. It just doesn't have the same heart or originality, instead rehashing old stuff. And I found Goku more likeable in DB than Super.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:20 pm

DB by a mile. I mean, I really like Super and think it's a pretty good (if uneven) show after the movie retellings, but to argue that it has much of anything on the original other than some really cool fights? Nah, not a position I'd ever consider taking. Super is fun, but DB is a bona-fide classic.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:07 am

One of the deepest cutting insults you could ever pay Dragon Ball is that you prefer Dragon Ball Super.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:45 am

I have not watched Dragon Ball Super entirely so I supposed I can't provide a 100% accurate judgment.

I agree it is an entirely different series.

I am not against DB super, although it did hurt me when they said that Super Timeline cancells GT.

It is not the first time they do that to a fandom, usually I just try to look at the bright side: The franchise has a chance to live again for the younger generations and also makes new people watch the old series.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:54 am

The original Dragon Ball is arguably better than DBZ so I definitely prefer it over Super.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:55 am

Super tends to go back to old material, and some of it certainly feels like its fan service. The original dragonball got more progressively dark as that series went on which I thoroughly enjoyed.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:32 pm

"they preferred Dragonball Super to the original Dragonball"
Blasphemy!!1oneone!1exclamationmark!one!1

Dragon Ball. Easily the best amongst all of them. OG DB is top, DBS is at the very bottom (constantly digs deeper).
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:59 pm

omaro34 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:00 pm I had an interesting convo with a friend the other day, they said they preferred Dragonball Super to the original Dragonball.

The two series are so different, and it's actually incredible where the series went. Goku went from a kid with a tail going on adventures on Earth, Z introduced space and other aliens, and finally Super introduced Gods as well as other universes.

But if you had to choose between the two series, which one would you prefer and why?

For me it's the Original Dragonball, Super's timeline doesn't add tension for me, and the original series had a good mix of adventure, incredible fights especially with hand to hand combat, and great tension.

What do you guys think?
To me, they are legit-equal.

I have to admit I'm a modern art and animation junky. So if OG DB was redone with today's techniques and styles, I'd pick it over Super, easily. It has Super beat in just about every other category, not that I dislike Super or anything.