Is anyone annoyed that the revival happened?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Is anyone annoyed that the revival happened?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:33 pm

Honestly, for all Super's flaws, I'm happy for the revival. I love Battle of Gods (the film), and I remember the contagious excitement that was there in 2013. I didn't really watch subs prior to this, but I sought out the subbed version of Battle of Gods because I just had to see it (this has since changed; now I check out subs much more frequently). Dragon Ball Super: Broly is my favorite Dragon Ball movie (well, apart from the Uncut Pioneer dubs of Dead Zone and World's Strongest). Ultra Instinct is my 3rd favorite transformation behind SSJ4 and SSJ. I enjoy the Super manga.

Compared to other series revivals like Star Wars, I'd say Dragon Ball has fared pretty well. It's a total different entity from Dragon Ball pre-2013, and on average not near the series' glory days...but I enjoy it for what it is.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:51 pm

I found some revivals more annoying to be honest. I can understand how there are fans are against any franchise being brought back after its conclusion especially if a revival is changing the original story's ending. At least DB's revival is mostly contained to a midquel so easier to ignore for those fans that aren't interested.

Eventually forums would die down once there isn't anything new to discuss since you can only cover the same topics so many times. DB is a classic and might've had one of the biggest online communities and bigger than some more recent franchises even during what was considered the "dry period". It makes sense since the only franchises getting revivals are those that still have fans interested in seeing more. I think sometimes they overestimate how many people are still interested since some revivals flop though.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:04 am

It extended my participation in the fandom, for personal better or worse, as I was losing interest the few years right before BoG was announced. I thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie from BoG to the end of weekly DBS episodes. I found a lot of what made Super fun for me was the people I hung out with at the time. I loved drawing fan-comics and making ridiculous animated gifs out of Super.

That said, Super ate up a lot of spare time that I currently don't have available to give so I'm fine with the show being on hiatus. I'm in a kind of semi-hiatus from Dragon Ball myself atm. I don't love DB as a whole any less, but I can't get from the manga as much fun as I got from the anime, even if the manga has some moments that I really enjoy.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:37 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:36 pm "I don't like new Dragon Ball. Fucking tryhard edgelord Toriyama has really gone down hill!" -- A Dragon Ball fan in 1990, probably.
100% accurate, can confirm.

Though I'd consider those folks more in the way of Dr. Slump fans who happened to latch onto Dragon Ball immediately after Slump's end hoping it'd offer them more of the same type of purely comedic content rather than folks who were genuinely into Dragon Ball in and of itself without any pre-existing expectations.

But yeah, that was indeed the attitude around a certain swath of the oldest ever Western DB fans at around that early Z timeframe. "Shit's too dark, where's the poo gags? Toriyama sold out to the Fist of the North Star audience." etc.

As to the main topic: yes and no? Yes in the sense that the revival material isn't nearly as good and was generally extraneous and unneeded, does very little to justify its existence, and is basically an umpteenth example of a well and truly finished and complete work being pointlessly dug up from its crypt to milk nostalgia dollars from its dried up, cobwebbed, hollowed out remains. No in the sense that the original isn't going anywhere, and there are a few stray concepts and tidbits from the revival that ARE pretty neat and would've been nice to have had either in the original series or in a better handled and executed revival.

Also in NO way do I think this forum would've been "dead" without the revival, since it was started and going super strong well within the absolute dead space of nothing new whatsoever coming out for well over a decade+.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:33 am

I'm not annoyed. I'm dissapointed. Battle of Gods was good and really fun but everything after that was crap. Maybe if it was executed better without stupid decisions (mostly power levels, I don't expect numbers, but I don't like the fact that weaker characters got stronger just because and stronger characters got weaker just because) and retarded characters (main hero, Goku) breaking the immersion, maybe it could be better. Some concepts are good, some are bad, but it does not matter, because they were executed in the WORST possible way (maybe except Goku Black but that's all). Everything in Super is played "safe". There's no stakes, no tension, time passes but nothing changes, characters are flat and our beloved fighters job all the time (I'd rather not see them at all than in that embarrassing ways).

At first manga was my "modern DB escape" but after Goku Black Arc... Well, it's bad, as bad as anime was. I rooted for Toyotarou, but the stuff he is doing now... I just can't. Well, at least I can laugh at Vegeta and his new ugly Caveman form. :mrgreen:
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:35 am

I don't like Super that much but all of the things that have come out since the revival are optional. Pick and choose and enjoy. I am glad we got Fighterz and the Heroes games. If the revival didn't happen we might not have even seen those games or they would have gotten a lower budget.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:09 am

No, not really. Even with all the shortcomings of DBS, there were still bits of entertainment that make it worth rewatching.
Additionally, BoG initiated a renaissance in DB products and this fandom.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:00 am

The Revival introduced my favourite character in all of Anime and renewed my interest in this franchise, so No. I am glad that the Revival happened.

And Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if this and many other DB forums died with no DB content for decades. We already see everywhere that internet traffic around the franchise has diminished drastically since the ending of the Anime and Broly movie. To the point that I met someone a few days ago who had no clue the manga was still going and simply assumed Super ended after the ToP arc.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 am

Not really no. Of course it has done nothing to justify its existence, with the possible exception of Battle of Gods. But it’s existence doesn’t bother me. Dragon Ball Super was enjoyable enough as far as nostalgic cash grabs go.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:47 am

Not at all. I remember being totally sick of learning about new videogames fairly often just to be about the very same thing, same characters, same enemies, running in circles forever, so introducing new scenarios, characters and foes was refreshing, even though it hasn't gone anywhere because that was also its premise. Ever since 2001 I wanted something to continue Z or GT's storyline, so I'm glad I got something at the very least, flaws and all.

Without the revival, I doubt I would've gotten the entire franchise on DVD or even care that much about the show by now.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:19 am

I thought Super was fun.

Discussing it here, not so much.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:19 am I thought Super was fun.

Discussing it here, not so much.
Really what makes you say that? I think this is still the most active where you can discuss anything. There aren't many in-depth discussions in other places from what I've seen. It also helps that the forum is pretty organized since other sites might only have a few general DB threads or social media that only allows for short comments.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:49 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the (paraphrasing here) "I'm not going let you destroy my world!" and the ensuing sky battle between Goku and Beerus with "Hero" playing was the moment I felt "Wow, Dragon Ball is BACK!" And the fact that achieving SSG made regular SSJ more powerful (especially after seeing Beerus toying around with SSJ3, the most powerful Z-era form, earlier) was something I really thought was cool at the time. I'm not sure anything has quite achieved that feeling from me since, other than Super episode 131 and maybe the Broly film.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:13 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:49 pm I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the (paraphrasing here) "I'm not going let you destroy my world!" and the ensuing sky battle between Goku and Beerus with "Hero" playing was the moment I felt "Wow, Dragon Ball is BACK!" And the fact that achieving SSG made regular SSJ more powerful (especially after seeing Beerus toying around with SSJ3, the most powerful Z-era form, earlier) was something I really thought was cool at the time. I'm not sure anything has quite achieved that feeling from me since, other than Super episode 131 and maybe the Broly film.
I'd add to that small list of AWE moments the KKx10 vs Hit, and maybe some fight against Black... but I'm not sure which... I loved Vegito's final stand and the introduction of the Fainaru Kamehameha. I really liked those 2 minutes of Vegito.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:01 pm

Yes and no.

Battle of Gods was good.
Everything after it was bad.

Entire "revival" should've stopped at BoG. It was a nice and fresh gift for fans after so many years. But with RoF it was clear they're now going to milk this franchise with half assed ideas and cheap fanservice.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:55 pm

Not really. I've been having a great time with the new stuff (aside from the movie retreads), even if some of the Super arcs are uneven. Granted, my favorite thing from the new stuff is literally a retread of the old stuff (Kai), but Battle of Gods and Super Broly aren't far behind and Ultra Instinct and most of the Black arc are also really cool. I also appreciate the general energy boost the fandom has had. There's just a general sense of excitement about the new stuff that makes me really happy to see. I also really appreciate seeing more casual fans finally grow to love and respect the Japanese cast, which probably would have never happened without Super.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:56 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:55 pm Not really. I've been having a great time with the new stuff (aside from the movie retreads), even if some of the Super arcs are uneven. Granted, my favorite thing from the new stuff is literally a retread of the old stuff (Kai), but Battle of Gods and Super Broly aren't far behind and Ultra Instinct and most of the Black arc are also really cool. I also appreciate the general energy boost the fandom has had. There's just a general sense of excitement about the new stuff that makes me really happy to see. I also really appreciate seeing more casual fans finally grow to love and respect the Japanese cast, which probably would have never happened without Super.
This is absolutely true for me. I watched everything from U6 through ToP subbed on Crunchyroll. I've been open to OG Japanese Dragon Ball/Z before that, but had never watched it all the way through. I've since watched all of GT in Japanese, and I need to go back and watch Dragon Ball and Z subbed (I've watched scenes but not the full series in Japanese).

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:10 pm

But does the revival happened really in 2013 ? Tho !

I'd argue that Dragon Ball never went extinct through the games we had added stories remember the Stories in the Shin Budokai ? Remember Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta in Raging Blast ? The teams that made those game and the teams that made other stuff kept Dragon Ball alive and every now and then we had the opportunities to see new element.

Then we also had Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Heroes.

And before Battle of Gods remember that "Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!" release date 2008? Yep that was before Battle of Gods and in my opinion that was that started the said revival that speak of topic creator.

We also have Episode of Bardock in 2011 but this one can be a sensitive topic :lol:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:25 pm

Actually the revival started in 2002 with the Kanzenban and PS2 games. Since then the franchise has been going strong even if it did decline a bit in popularity during the late-2000s and early-2010s.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:57 pm

Dragon Ball was still very much in the public sphere in 2002 thanks to Toonami, the first Budokai game (at least), action figures, and even a Burger King promotion, so I wouldn't say the revival started then because it hadn't really gone anywhere; it was still the topic of playground talk around that time. You can definitely attribute some video games and OVAs to keeping it around, but I still think of 2013 as THE revival because we were actually getting new content where the possibilites felt endless, sort of. With Super, the new forms, FighterZ, and the Broly movie, this era feels very distinct compared to the the content in the years before BOG.