Do You Have a Different Favorite Arc than You've Had in the Past?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Do You Have a Different Favorite Arc than You've Had in the Past?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 pm

I assuming most of us here have been Dragon Ball fans for a number of years. If you've always had a favorite arc, is it the same currently as what it was years ago, or do you have a different favorite?

The Freeza saga was my default favorite for several years, and it's still one of my favorite arcs. That said, I vastly prefer it in the manga to the anime due to pacing, and it the constant zenkai boosts get a bit ridiculous. I've recently gone to preferring the Saiyan arc over it. My overall favorite is the Piccolo Jr. arc, though. It feels like a perfect climax to everything that came before, while also marking a turning point going into Z. We see how Roshi's pupils (especially Goku following training with Kami) have matured. There's plenty of great tension, humor, and the fights are arguably the best of the entire series. The pacing is excellent and tight throughout. Also, I love a great tournament, and the best in Dragon Ball, and one of the best in general.

If your favorite arc has stayed the same, feel free to share what it is and why!

Current Favorite

Previous (Long-standing) Favorite
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Do You Have a Different Favorite Arc than You've Had in the Past?

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Heavily disposed towards 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai

But it really works best when it flows out of King Piccolo and into the Saiyajin arc rather than just by itself

So it's more like "the overarching arc from Demon King Piccolo to Freeza" is my favorite, with a peak at the tournament.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:18 pm Heavily disposed towards 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai

But it really works best when it flows out of King Piccolo and into the Saiyajin arc rather than just by itself

So it's more like "the overarching arc from Demon King Piccolo to Freeza" is my favorite, with a peak at the tournament.
I think the Piccolo Jr. arc still manages to work extremely well on its own, but I absolutely agree that it flows wonderfully out of the King Piccolo saga and is most fulfilling when experienced that way. That stretch through to Freeza is my favorite as well (I'll throw the preceding Tenshinhan arc in the mix, too), with the edge given to Piccolo Jr., Saiyan, and Tenshinhan sagas (the King Piccolo and Freeza sagas are pretty even for me).
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:42 pm

The 23rd Tournament was my undisputed favorite, but the 22nd had slowly crept up to its level.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:43 pm

There was a time when I considered the Cell saga the best arc of Dragon Ball Z. Now I would put it around the Boo saga and below the Saiyan and Freeza sagas.

The Son Goku arc/first thirteen episodes has also fallen out of favor for me. I used to hold in fairly high regard as “Dragon Ball before it got hyperfocused on fighting and was a fun adventure series” now I view as “Toryiama finding his footing “ and the first arc more as an obligation to get through to get to the good stuff

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Initially my favorite part of the series was not necessarily an arc, but the part where we first see Super Saiyans Goku and future Trunks in action. Freeza left such a terrifying impression with the way Gohan and Kuririn stood frozen in fear when they first sensed his power. Then Goku transforms and he feels so overwhelmingly mighty and powerful, truly living up to the Super Saiyan legend. They have a crazy battle to the death on an exploding planet, something I had absolutely never seen in any cartoon before. Then Freeza survives, except another Super Saiyan shows up and destroys this behemoth of a villain in the blink of an eye! Then we hear new enemies are coming, ones that even this Super Saiyan is powerless against?! Whaaaat?!

That's roughly how my Dragon Ball journey started. Enter magazines and websites and video games and rumors! My imagination went WILD in regards to what the rest of the series was like. For the longest time I thought the Boo arc took place at night, because all the pictures I had seen of it had dark backgrounds.

The pre-Raditz stuff intrigued me the same way that I'm curious about my parents' lives before I was born. Getting to go back into the past of these characters was fascinating. I loooooved the Tenkaichi Budokai arcs. The 23rd was my favorite for a long time because its cast is so jam-packed with prominent characters, but I think nowadays the 22nd takes the edge ever so slightly. Muten Roshi teaching Tenshinhan (and us) about overcoming your insecurities and having the right priorities in life is just really good.

Obligatory shout-out to the Red Ribbon arc for growing on me every time I revisit it. My first impression of it back in the day was "Meh, kinda boring, there's barely any characters I know from Z in this", whereas now it's "Many of the characters introduced in this arc are incredibly fun and endearing". And I've said this many times before, but little Goku exploring a world he is adorably clueless about, yet utterly invincible to, is pure gold.

My overall ranking of the original arcs is roughly: 22nd TB > 23rd TB > Namek > Saiyans > Red Ribbon > Daimaô > Cell > 21st TB > Boo > DB hunt. But even that last one I would rate at least an 8 out of 10. They're all solid fun.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:09 pm

i actually think my favorite arc since i read all of dragon ball has always been the saiyan arc. before i read it, the cell arc was my favorite just because i thought (and still do think) super saiyan 2 gohan is rad, and i've gone thru quite the Arc with that arc, it's been my least favorite, my 2nd least favorite, too thinking it was the 2nd best of the back half of the series, too now just liking it. the boo arc is the same way which is kinda fitting given how much that arc flip flops around. so much good stuff in it but so much...well toriyama had been writing weekly manga for 15 years at that point let's cut him some slack stuff in it.

for the first half or the Original Dragon Ball stuff, that i've never been consistent on. it was the first arc originally just because i think 11 year olds are biased towards what they saw first, the 22nd budokai for a loooooong time (and in the anime its definitely my favorite, those fights are animated so well), the piccolo arcs when i decided i really liked piccolo, but now i think it's the 21st budokai. it really has all that i love in toriaymas works, and there's a warmth too it in a way that i really don't think many other dragon ball stories have.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:49 pm

It used to be the Freeza arc in large part because Goku turned Super Saiyan and Freeza my favorite villain, but now it's the Saiyan arc. That arc is Toriyama firing on all cylinders.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:21 pm

In the beginning, my favourite arc was the saiyan arc, but I slowly started to prefer the Namek arc. I tried to fight it for the first few years, but Namek eventually won.

Nowadays, I think the saiyan arc has come back. I think I prefer the more down-to-Earth threat (no pun intended), you know? your two run of the mill space pirates that come and want to bash your skull in and take your stuff over the fancy galactic emperor ruling the universe forever and ever.

jgforever

Post by jgforever » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:34 pm

For a long time, my favorite was the Cell arc because I loved Super Saiyan 2 Gohan. My introduction to the series was through watching the fight between Gohan and Cell on YouTube back in 2016 (I know I’m a pretty recent fan). I also loved Cell as a villain and the concept behind him.

Over time though, I’ve grown fond of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and the Saiyan arc as my top 2. That to me was Toriyama’ peak as a mangaka.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:42 pm

The Cell arc was always my favorite, and I think it still is today. Something about the plot of it, all of the different characters, all of the big moments. It's just a standout to me. Part of it is also nostalgia, because of my earliest fansub experiences. That and all of the promotional artwork from that era which made the whole thing feel more powerful and struck my imagination. I love all of the various character designs.

The first thirteen episodes I didn't care for in the past, but now I love it and appreciate that arc.

I didn't like the Red Ribbon saga so much originally, but over time it became a favorite. It's pure Toriyama and the defining arc of the first series in my mind.

The 22nd Budokai arc has always been my favorite of the tournaments, and Tenshinhan became one of my favorite characters because of it.

I used to really enjoy the 23rd Budokai, but now I dislike a lot of it. It's too melodramatic for my liking. I also don't like how Piccolo is written in it.

I appreciate the Boo arc much more now than in the past. I enjoy all of the new characters and ideas that Toriyama introduced at the beginning of the arc, and I like the Bobbidi gang and Fat Boo. I also like the dark and sinister vibe that grows during the tournament before the villains are introduced, and the relationship between magic and death, etc. And even though things fall apart in the second half of the arc, I appreciate how bleak the story turns. Appropriate for a finale.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:29 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:42 pm I used to really enjoy the 23rd Budokai, but now I dislike a lot of it. It's too melodramatic for my liking. I also don't like how Piccolo is written in it.
That arc is melodramatic? And what's wrong with how Piccolo is written?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 pm

Oof. I don't know. I can't really remember. I've always liked a lot of each arc, to be honest. I suppose that if I had to chose a precious favorite it would be the Twenty-Third Tenka'ichi Budoukai. Looking back now, it just doesn't work as an arc. The art in the original comic is gorgeous but the whole story is just really under developed and I don't like how anyone other than Kuririn and Piccolo are written. It kinda just sucks, IMO.

My current favorite is the anime version of the Future Trunks arc. The intrigue and the directing is so good!!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:20 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 pm Oof. I don't know. I can't really remember. I've always liked a lot of each arc, to be honest. I suppose that if I had to chose a precious favorite it would be the Twenty-Third Tenka'ichi Budoukai. Looking back now, it just doesn't work as an arc. The art in the original comic is gorgeous but the whole story is just really under developed and I don't like how anyone other than Kuririn and Piccolo are written. It kinda just sucks, IMO.

My current favorite is the anime version of the Future Trunks arc. The intrigue and the directing is so good!!
Wow, really (regarding the 23rd)? I'm a big fan of Kuririn and Piccolo in this arc as well, and I'd go as far to say I've never liked Goku more than during the 23rd (apart from the Saiyan saga and maybe the Freeza arcs). To me, it was really where you could see the culmination of his character journey and all he had learned up to that point. It truly felt like he was a master...until the Saiyan arc brilliantly introduced his alien heritage and introduced foes much more powerful than any up to that point, so he became the student again. While I have some issues with the Trunks arc, I definitely liked the "feel" of those episodes as well.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:40 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:20 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 pm Oof. I don't know. I can't really remember. I've always liked a lot of each arc, to be honest. I suppose that if I had to chose a precious favorite it would be the Twenty-Third Tenka'ichi Budoukai. Looking back now, it just doesn't work as an arc. The art in the original comic is gorgeous but the whole story is just really under developed and I don't like how anyone other than Kuririn and Piccolo are written. It kinda just sucks, IMO.

Wow, really (regarding the 23rd)? I'm a big fan of Kuririn and Piccolo in this arc as well, and I'd go as far to say I've never liked Goku more than during the 23rd (apart from the Saiyan saga and maybe the Freeza arcs). To me, it was really where you could see the culmination of his character journey and all he had learned up to that point. It truly felt like he was a master...until the Saiyan arc brilliantly introduced his alien heritage and introduced foes much more powerful than any up to that point, so he became the student again. While I have some issues with the Trunks arc, I definitely liked the "feel" of those episodes as well.
Well, yeah. I felt like the arc is mostly an after-thought until Piccolo's three fights. Chi-Chi and Gokuu are poorly written and Tenshinhan's character just feels so phoned in. Then, of course, there's Yamcha.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:43 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:42 pm The 23rd Tournament was my undisputed favorite, but the 22nd had slowly crept up to its level.
It's hard to argue against the 22nd. I favor the 23rd because Goku's longer limbs make for more dynamic choreography with him, plus I love how it's really a set-piece for his rematch with Piccolo. And it's endlessly amusing seeing Goku several steps ahead of everyone for me, at this point. But the 22nd was also great for showing how far Roshi's pupils (especially Goku had come), Tien's development into a better person, and the pretty dead-even fight between Goku and Tien.
There was a time when I considered the Cell saga the best arc of Dragon Ball Z. Now I would put it around the Boo saga and below the Saiyan and Freeza sagas.

The Son Goku arc/first thirteen episodes has also fallen out of favor for me. I used to hold in fairly high regard as “Dragon Ball before it got hyperfocused on fighting and was a fun adventure series” now I view as “Toryiama finding his footing “ and the first arc more as an obligation to get through to get to the good stuff
Agreed on all counts. The Cell saga has many of my favorite moments and aspects of Dragon Ball, to the point where I might've thought it was the best at different times, but moreso than ever before, the arc feels like Toriyama throwing around ideas until something sticks, and not as skillfully as before. I put it even with Boo. The first 13 episodes of the Son Goku arc are charming enough, but since the series subsequently gained a greater focus on martial arts, it almost feels like the series really begins with the 21st Budokai.

Then Freeza survives, except another Super Saiyan shows up and destroys this behemoth of a villain in the blink of an eye!
Future Trunks' first appearance and consecutive Super Saiyan transformation is maybe my favorite transformation of the entire series. At this point, Super Saiyan was still a fresh concept, and the idea that this youngster could do it too, combined with the mystery of who he was, his cool look and demeanor...something about it really stands out. And it still managed to make Super Saiyan feel terrifying.
Obligatory shout-out to the Red Ribbon arc for growing on me every time I revisit it. My first impression of it back in the day was "Meh, kinda boring, there's barely any characters I know from Z in this", whereas now it's "Many of the characters introduced in this arc are incredibly fun and endearing". And I've said this many times before, but little Goku exploring a world he is adorably clueless about, yet utterly invincible to, is pure gold.
I used to consider the RRA my favorite Dragon Ball arc. I still love it for all these reasons. That said, like with Freeza, it's considerably better-paced in the manga.
the boo arc is the same way which is kinda fitting given how much that arc flip flops around. so much good stuff in it but so much...well toriyama had been writing weekly manga for 15 years at that point let's cut him some slack stuff in it.
The Boo arc was my introduction to Dragon Ball, so I always will have a soft spot for it. It's a rollercoaster of varying quality, but my opinion on it remains pretty favorable. I find myself really gravitating toward both the early Great Saiyaman/World Tournament arcs, the ensuing stuff with Babidi/Majin Vegeta, Fusion as a concept, and the fights with Kid Buu.
It used to be the Freeza arc in large part because Goku turned Super Saiyan and Freeza my favorite villain, but now it's the Saiyan arc. That arc is Toriyama firing on all cylinders.
Ask me a different day, and I'd probably say the Saiyan arc is my favorite as well. There's so much of what I love about Dragon Ball packed within it. The introduction of Gohan, Piccolo's redemption, seeing the Earthlings (especially Kuririn) going all out against the Saiyans despite having next-to-no chance of beating them, Goku being back at square one against Raditz, only to die, and technically be "reborn" into a much more powerful being after training in heaven...I also love that the fight against Vegeta ultimately required every hand on deck, not just people standing around gawking at how powerful the two fighters are. The anime's filler added a lot to it as well, imho.
Over time though, I’ve grown fond of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and the Saiyan arc as my top 2. That to me was Toriyama’ peak as a mangaka.
100% agree
I used to really enjoy the 23rd Budokai, but now I dislike a lot of it. It's too melodramatic for my liking. I also don't like how Piccolo is written in it.
It doesn't feel melodramatic to me, personally. I feel that a lot of the stakes and tension are counterbalanced by well-placed humor with Shen and Chi-Chi, as well as seeing just how far Goku has risen above everyone else. While King Piccolo is my favorite series villain, I love how Piccolo Jr. is more quiet and calculating. Idk, I respect your opinion, but I don't agree on either count.

Love the variety of responses! :)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:42 am

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:29 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:42 pm I used to really enjoy the 23rd Budokai, but now I dislike a lot of it. It's too melodramatic for my liking. I also don't like how Piccolo is written in it.
The dialogue, the conversations, the characters' behavior, emotions, it was all too dramatic and over-the-top. I get that Piccolo is suppose to be a great big threat, but I thought it was laid on too thick. I'm not sure if a Tenkaichi Budokai is the best way of dealing with such a serious plot like Piccolo. That may be why it doesn't work for me.

I thought that Piccolo himself looked too much like a fool. I get that his father could be a bit of a clown, but that was part of the whole "wacky old man" schtick. I don't like MaJunior going from cold and calculating one minute to the butt of jokes the next, via Goku's antics. I guess maybe part of it is due to that era of DB, when the emphasis on comedy was still so apparent in the writing. Also, it might stand out to me more after having watched Piccolo's character in DBZ first, instead of experiencing it in the proper order.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:26 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:42 am
ABED wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:29 pm
The dialogue, the conversations, the characters' behavior, emotions, it was all too dramatic and over-the-top. I get that Piccolo is suppose to be a great big threat, but I thought it was laid on too thick. I'm not sure if a Tenkaichi Budokai is the best way of dealing with such a serious plot like Piccolo. That may be why it doesn't work for me.

I thought that Piccolo himself looked too much like a fool. I get that his father could be a bit of a clown, but that was part of the whole "wacky old man" schtick. I don't like MaJunior going from cold and calculating one minute to the butt of jokes the next, via Goku's antics. I guess maybe part of it is due to that era of DB, when the emphasis on comedy was still so apparent in the writing. Also, it might stand out to me more after having watched Piccolo's character in DBZ first, instead of experiencing it in the proper order.
What do you mean by this, exactly? When I think of a wacky old man, I think Roshi, not someone like King Piccolo?

Also, regarding melodrama, ironically that's what I love the most about the arc. Like the sequence where Piccolo confronts the heroes after with the bottle Kami is trapped in, and then swallows it. The mood there, and the tension when the final showdown is about to begin, idk, I just really buy into it. As for Piccolo, at the time he really was THE villain, before there was a Vegeta, Freeza or Cell. The idea that a climactic showdown of good vs evil 3 years in the making is taking place at a tournament (as opposed to barren wastelands of other showdowns) is one of my favorite things about it. Plus it allows Goku, at this point a fully-fledged martial artist in both mind and body, to do what he's been trying to do the entire time: win the tournament.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:40 pm Well, yeah. I felt like the arc is mostly an after-thought until Piccolo's three fights. Chi-Chi and Gokuu are poorly written and Tenshinhan's character just feels so phoned in. Then, of course, there's Yamcha.
To be fair, I'd say the height of Tenshinhan as a character was during his original arc. Ever since then, he's had his moments, but he became milquetoast (figuratively speaking, in relation to later edgier characters like Piccolo and Vegeta) pretty immediately after becoming a good guy. There's only so much of interest you can do with stoic personality types once they are good guys and side characters, at that. Personally though, I love his confrontation with Cyborg Tao (who is admittedly pretty lame, although I suppose that's the point). And although Goku was already far above Tenshinhan in their rematch, it's still satisfying seeing Tenshinhan pulling out all the stops to try to repeat as champion.

For Goku and Chi-Chi, do you feel they were poorly written individually, or as a couple? I don't agree with the former if that's the case, but if it's the latter, I kind of get that, although I feel they were at their most endearing together at this point.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:47 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:38 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:40 pm Well, yeah. I felt like the arc is mostly an after-thought until Piccolo's three fights. Chi-Chi and Gokuu are poorly written and Tenshinhan's character just feels so phoned in. Then, of course, there's Yamcha.
To be fair, I'd say the height of Tenshinhan as a character was during his original arc. Ever since then, he's had his moments, but he became milquetoast (figuratively speaking, in relation to later edgier characters like Piccolo and Vegeta) pretty immediately after becoming a good guy. There's only so much of interest you can do with stoic personality types once they are good guys and side characters, at that. Personally though, I love his confrontation with Cyborg Tao (who is admittedly pretty lame, although I suppose that's the point). And although Goku was already far above Tenshinhan in their rematch, it's still satisfying seeing Tenshinhan pulling out all the stops to try to repeat as champion.

For Goku and Chi-Chi, do you feel they were poorly written individually, or as a couple? I don't agree with the former if that's the case, but if it's the latter, I kind of get that, although I feel they were at their most endearing together at this point.
Both. I think making Gokuu so immature is just boring. I think his growth as a person needed to be even more stark. I also don't like how Chi-Chi is centered only on Gokuu.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter