How come no game use DBS manga content?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

How come no game use DBS manga content?

Post by super michael » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:51 pm

There is the Moro chapter and Granolah chapter, yet there is no game that has these story and characters. How come games avoid the manga of DBS?

The most the game covers is up to the ToP and that is it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How come no game use DBS manga content?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:17 pm

Why covering something that doesn't reach as maximum of people as possible and so the marketing and sales won't reach the desirable threshold? Why covering something that may be altered (events, details and even the colors) once/if it gets animated?

It's not wise to use a content that is so limited in all departments. It is, however, wise to wait for an anime adaptation before starting to capitalize on it. When everything will be known to the general viewer, when marketing and sales will be at their strongest and etc.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:25 am

Because it was never advertised as the main product and was behind the Anime when the latter was airing.

The vast majority of people associate the name "Dragon Ball Super" with the Anime show.

It's the same reason why every videogame uses the version of characters and events shown in the Anime.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:45 am

The anime provides voices, colors, animation angles for moves and techniques, and all the flair that comes with it. The manga leaves most of it for interpretation.

Also what other people said.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:27 am

In a way, I think it could be for the best. The original manga has way different colours of hair, eyes, clothes and limbs than what the anime ended up having, and the anime's looks so much better. I mean, a skin-coloured Cell? a blue Karin? a red-eyed SS? I prefer the pink-armed Piccolo Jr. over the dry, yellowish manga Piccolo Jr. that makes him look old.

Who knows how Toei might improve the colours of the Moro and Granola arc?

Also, probably some legal reasons too, considering it would be an external company developing characters that have yet not been animated by the main right holder.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:17 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:27 am have yet not been animated by the main right holder.
Just want to clarify, but Toei is not "the main right holder" -- it's very explicitly Shueisha, and they are the ones who have final say on everything.

I would recommend checking out the series of translations we're putting up where Torishima talks about this at length. I still need to get part two online, but part one goes into it a bit, too.

Anyway, I would also just add that... well, we don't know what the answer is here, but there's also one example of DBS-manga-specific content making its way into Kakarot (which I guess are minor spoilers, but it's in the Trunks DLC)... so there is precedent?

I think all of the assumptions fans make are probably wildly off, and it's either some other certain set of circumstances we aren't privy enough to even remotely understand... or it's something super basic that we're overlooking. I think it's just that they don't even think about stuff like this the way we do.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:43 pm

I think there's Gamma Burst Flash in SDBH for Vegeta.
Oh and the GoDs having their attacks from the Manga's pre-ToP exhibition too.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:48 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:43 pm I think there's Gamma Burst Flash in SDBH for Vegeta.
Oh and the GoDs having their attacks from the Manga's pre-ToP exhibition too.
That is true, as well! The Gamma Burst Flash debuted in manga chapter 25 in June 2017, and I believe first appeared on card UM1-19... was the first Universe Mission release in March 2018?

(And we do know for a fact that the attack is Toyotaro's creation, because he said so in the Super Dragon Ball Heroes 8th Anniversary Super Guide in a little sidebar where he's asked about his favorite attack in the game.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::