Budokai 4 in 2022

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Budokai 4 in 2022

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:58 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:13 pm I don’t see what appeal a new Budokai game could possibly have, outside of nostalgia milking, but even then, that sounds like too much money to pour into something relatively niche. The first Budokai game was reasonably popular for the time, but its sales have been completely eclipsed by Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ. It’s a relic of an era when licensed video games didn’t have anywhere near the kind of expectations they have today.
Budokai 4 could be the bridge between Xenoverse and FighterZ. It offers RPG elements (free-roaming story mode, customizable characters, etc.), 3D perspective, and a strictly 1v1 experience that FighterZ doesn't while offering a deep and rewarding battle system that Xenoverse doesn't.

Budokai sold almost 10 million copies with 3 million from the first game, 2.5 million from the second game, and 1.8 million from the third. Burst Limit also sold better than anything Spike put out for the 7th-generation consoles.

Licensed games were always generally mediocre at best. Honestly, us Dragon Ball fans have it made compared to most IPs.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:40 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:14 am
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:13 pm I don’t see what appeal a new Budokai game could possibly have, outside of nostalgia milking, but even then, that sounds like too much money to pour into something relatively niche. The first Budokai game was reasonably popular for the time, but its sales have been completely eclipsed by Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ. It’s a relic of an era when licensed video games didn’t have anywhere near the kind of expectations they have today.
Budokai 1 is the 4th best selling console DBZ game of all time what are you talking about lol.
Nothing I said contradicted that. I said the game was reasonably popular at the time, but that its sales have been surpassed by the newer games.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:40 pm
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:14 am
Budokai 1 is the 4th best selling console DBZ game of all time what are you talking about lol.
Nothing I said contradicted that. I said the game was reasonably popular at the time, but that its sales have been surpassed by the newer games.
Well that's a given as those are modern games, we haven't had a new Budokai game since 2008.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:44 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:39 am
Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:06 am If there's an HD collection, might as well and go all out and include everything: Budokai, Budokai 2, Budokai 3, Shin Budokai, Shin Budokai 2, Infinite World and Burst Limit. Tired of modern gaming collections having like 2 or 3 games.
Burst Limit has no relation to the Budokai series though
Outside of having the exact same engine, models, gameplay and being made by the same company, I guess?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:10 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:44 pm
mute_proxy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:39 am
Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:06 am If there's an HD collection, might as well and go all out and include everything: Budokai, Budokai 2, Budokai 3, Shin Budokai, Shin Budokai 2, Infinite World and Burst Limit. Tired of modern gaming collections having like 2 or 3 games.
Burst Limit has no relation to the Budokai series though
Outside of having the exact same engine, models, gameplay and being made by the same company, I guess?
Oh dang, I guess you're right, I always thought of it as a Budokai Tenkaichi equivalent, but on closer look yeah

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:30 pm

Jord wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:41 am
Exactly. Budokai was great for it's time, and the art style holds up pretty well but the gameplay feels so incredibly limiting nowadays. After Fighterz it's extremely hard to go back to the ppke combo's of Budokai.
The last Budokai console game didn't use the PKE system, the fighting system from Shin Budokai and Burst Limit could definitely with some tweaking make for a decent anime fighter in todays climate, Budokai went way past PKE.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.