Not seeing Final Form - good idea?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Not seeing Final Form - good idea?

Post by Vijay » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:10 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:39 am From a storytelling perspective, what would be the point in telling the audience that there's another form and then not having them see it?
Recent wave of mindset goin on in social media ever since Everythin Great with The Dark Knight regarded Joker's lack of backstory bein a lot more frightening than it would've been had his story told/spoonfed to audience. Imagination is much more scary to reality...akin to that, havin rumored supposedly ultimate final boss form left for imagination is...supposed...to strike fear...or create an impression?😅

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:53 am

coola wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:16 pm What if Super Goku used his brain for once, and didn't let one of potential future enemies achieve final form? I think it would be interesting idea, it would also gave fans chance to speculate what last form would look like :)
If you tease the existence of a "final form" and don't use it then you're doing a bad job and should have not introduced it at all in the first place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:06 pm

While it'd be satisfying for the heroes to be proactive and stuff people would feel blue balled by not seeing it.

I can agree the villian being able to transform through their cunning is better than the heroes fucking up or their arrogance. It works when vegeta is a dickhead because he IS a dickhead. It's in character.

I guess if it was a form we already knew, for example an alternate timeline character, like trunks killing 1st form cell was satisfying because we weren't robbed of seeing a perfect Cell ever.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:16 pm

At the very least I think a story could simply have the villain tricking Gokuu and friends instead of them pulling a Cell or whatever.

Starting out a story as a gag story with the main enemy comically failing to achieve their final form as a riff on the trope before transitioning to a serious story once they have managed to do so would be fun. Frame the enemy as our protagonist at first and then change the genre after a sufficient amount of gags.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm

It would make for a funny gag/cool scene

Like how we never actually got to see Recoome's Hyper Fighting Bomber

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:29 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:39 am From a storytelling perspective, what would be the point in telling the audience that there's another form and then not having them see it?
Dragonball Z in the late 90s was the first show I encountered where the villain would "win" at the end of episodes. Most american shows had the villain start their scheme. Hero stops scheme. Villain might get somewhat far in their scheme. But the hero usually stops it before the villain gets what they wanted. DBZ would let the villain get what they wanted and the heroes have to stop them after that.

It's like a villain plan is to acquire a nuke gun, then they get it and now hero have to fight someone with a nuke gun. Sure it's intriguing to see some one with a nuke gun, but maybe it's enough to see them get the gun but not get a chance to use it. At least some of the time.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:32 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:53 am
coola wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:16 pm What if Super Goku used his brain for once, and didn't let one of potential future enemies achieve final form? I think it would be interesting idea, it would also gave fans chance to speculate what last form would look like :)
If you tease the existence of a "final form" and don't use it then you're doing a bad job and should have not introduced it at all in the first place.

Not every piece of minutia is important. If so, every fake movie or tv show or billboard or newpaper would need to be addressed.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:31 pm You know it's funny because Goku doesn't give an opinion one way or the other on Cell achieving his final form. Bulma, Krillin, and Trunks are the ones making the effort to stop Cell from reaching his perfect form.

And it actually would be interesting to see if Goku was in Vegeta's shoes in that one instance. This isn't like letting Freeza power up to 100 percent or giving Perfect Cell a senzu bean where its a misguided sense of honor thing. Letting Cell reach perfect means letting Cell devour 18 and makes Goku culpable in someone else's life being taken that isn't in combat.

So, it is interesting that Goku is absolved of having to compromise his warrior spirit by not letting Cell reach his perfect form as well as giving Cell the go ahead to kill someone, simply by not being around to give his opinion on the subject.
If I remember right he seems distressed when Cell absorbs 17. Perhaps because Cell was already far stronger than him even before that point. He seems to get excited when the villain is a bit stronger than him, but scared when they're too far beyond him, like with Tao, King Piccolo, and Raditz.

Honestly I don't think for a second he'd let Cell absorb 18 if he could prevent it. This is the guy who scolded Vegeta for killing the Ginyu Force in cold blood.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:18 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:32 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:53 am

Not every piece of minutia is important. If so, every fake movie or tv show or billboard or newpaper would need to be addressed.
A final form of a villain is not "minutia." Fake movies/TV shows/billboards/etc. are there to give the world a lived-in feeling. They have no direct impact on the storyline other than setting.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:38 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:32 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:31 pm You know it's funny because Goku doesn't give an opinion one way or the other on Cell achieving his final form. Bulma, Krillin, and Trunks are the ones making the effort to stop Cell from reaching his perfect form.

And it actually would be interesting to see if Goku was in Vegeta's shoes in that one instance. This isn't like letting Freeza power up to 100 percent or giving Perfect Cell a senzu bean where its a misguided sense of honor thing. Letting Cell reach perfect means letting Cell devour 18 and makes Goku culpable in someone else's life being taken that isn't in combat.

So, it is interesting that Goku is absolved of having to compromise his warrior spirit by not letting Cell reach his perfect form as well as giving Cell the go ahead to kill someone, simply by not being around to give his opinion on the subject.
If I remember right he seems distressed when Cell absorbs 17. Perhaps because Cell was already far stronger than him even before that point. He seems to get excited when the villain is a bit stronger than him, but scared when they're too far beyond him, like with Tao, King Piccolo, and Raditz.

Honestly I don't think for a second he'd let Cell absorb 18 if he could prevent it. This is the guy who scolded Vegeta for killing the Ginyu Force in cold blood.
Goku had same reactions with various forms of Majin, esp Bootenks & Boohan

That bein said, he does seem interested in fightin guys like Perfect Cell & later Bootenks (even if he had to fuse with Gohan) etc

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:41 am

Vijay wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:38 am Goku had same reactions with various forms of Majin, esp Bootenks & Boohan

That bein said, he does seem interested in fightin guys like Perfect Cell & later Bootenks (even if he had to fuse with Gohan) etc
He was very reluctant to fight Buutenks/Buuhan and even regular Super Buu without Fusion.

He knew Perfect Cell was stronger than him, but didn't know the full extent of his power until later, so still wanted to fight him. He also knew that he ultimately had Gohan to fall back on, so in his mind he could just fight Cell for fun before letting Gohan finish things.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:39 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm It would make for a funny gag/cool scene

Like how we never actually got to see Recoome's Hyper Fighting Bomber

Loved Goku casually punching Jeice face too, "Shouldn't you guys start taking it seriously?" one of few times adult Goku is completely relaxed, he knows he outclass his opponents.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:17 am

Guess closest one to "chekov gun" we've got, was Zeiun from DBZ Movie 4, dude was important enough to get featured in poster, yet he got killed off by Slug, for saying he gets old so we never saw his techniques or how strong he was...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:29 am

coola wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:17 am Guess closest one to "chekov gun" we've got, was Zeiun from DBZ Movie 4, dude was important enough to get featured in poster, yet he got killed off by Slug, for saying he gets old so we never saw his techniques or how strong he was...
That's not what a Chekov's gun is

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:50 am

An idea would be to introduce a villain that is defeated by Goku or someone else in the gang, whilst getting to know that there was another form whilst the villain is dying (claiming that there wasn't time to transform or something).
Years later in the chronology, the villain is introduced again, returning via the Dragonballs (I know, the Dragon Balls are already overused, but it's convenient :P ) and is then able to use their final form, having time before anyone reaches them. That's when we get to know that he would have wrecked the heroes if allowed to transform the previous time, being stronger than all of them in the present.
This method has been used before but with changing the characters, much like introducing lesser Cyborgs and later 17 and 18, and the power jump wouldn't be strange considering the significant power jumps pretty much every transforming villain does.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:24 am

Here's a scenario: Goku faces off against a very strong villain that is not in their final or true form and due to some circumstance, said-villain dies before they could show off their full power. Later on, minions or individuals sympathetic to the villain steal a set of DBs to revive their master/ally and Goku has the chance to shut that down right then & there. Would Goku do the sensible thing and prevent a powerful villain from living again or would he actually allow the villain to rise once more just so he can have that fight that he missed out on?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:50 pm

Godo wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:50 am An idea would be to introduce a villain that is defeated by Goku or someone else in the gang, whilst getting to know that there was another form whilst the villain is dying (claiming that there wasn't time to transform or something).
Years later in the chronology, the villain is introduced again, returning via the Dragonballs (I know, the Dragon Balls are already overused, but it's convenient :P ) and is then able to use their final form, having time before anyone reaches them. That's when we get to know that he would have wrecked the heroes if allowed to transform the previous time, being stronger than all of them in the present.
This method has been used before but with changing the characters, much like introducing lesser Cyborgs and later 17 and 18, and the power jump wouldn't be strange considering the significant power jumps pretty much every transforming villain does.
That's an idea, avoid it initially to see it again later.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:58 pm

TobyS wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:50 pm
Godo wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:50 am An idea would be to introduce a villain that is defeated by Goku or someone else in the gang, whilst getting to know that there was another form whilst the villain is dying (claiming that there wasn't time to transform or something).
That's an idea, avoid it initially to see it again later.
This is probably what's happening with 73 and his angel powers in the current arc of DBS, actually...