Yamamoto is Back

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Yamamoto is Back

Post by kei17 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:06 am

Since Yamamoto's scandal in 2011, I kept searching his name on the database of JASRAC, the biggest music copyright collecting agency in Japan, once a year or so to check if he's come back.

Recently, multiple pieces of music have been added to the database under the name of Kenji Yamamoto.

"OMINOUS SILENCE" is a track from Kai and this had been his last work in the database for a decade. "YAMAMOTO KENJI" is apparently a musician who shares the same name and it's not the Yamamoto we know, so the three tracks created by this person are not related. All the other ones below the first four have been registered in 2021 considering their serial numbers, and 山本 健司 is credited for them just like the Kai score.

The detailed information of these pieces credits Yamamoto for "musical composition," so he's not just an arranger here. After the scandal, he did music arrangement for some songs under the name of "Kenz," but he hadn't composed anything since then, so this is his first activity as a music composer in the last decade. The distributor is "Music Airport," which is a music label founded by Matsutake Hideki, Yamamoto's old and close friend.

Matsutake is a synthesizer musician who is most known for working under Yellow Magic Orchestra. He has been a friend of Yamamoto for decades and they once worked together for the soundtrack CD of Super Budtouden. There was his interview on Yamamoto's now defunct website, and their bond seems very tight.

Considering all the information I gathered, it is safe to say that Yamamoto is now back as a music composer after a decade of hiatus, with the help of his old friend. However, this obviously does NOT mean that he makes a comeback to the Dragon Ball franchise and his old works are going to be revived, but it is good to know that he is making a step forward and restarting his career.
Last edited by kei17 on Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Yamamoto is Back

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:16 am

I'm surprised he didn't start a new name.

Well, nice to see him working again.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:02 pm

Let's hope he doesn't, uh, "sample" another Black Sabbath song this time...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:33 pm

I thought he was forever banned from composing music because of multiple counts of plagiarism.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:44 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:33 pm I thought he was forever banned from composing music because of multiple counts of plagiarism.
i thought he was banned too lmfao
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:20 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:33 pm I thought he was forever banned from composing music because of multiple counts of plagiarism.
I guess it is not something as serious as when they remove a licence from a Medical Doctor.

Thanks to the poster for the update btw

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:27 pm

If he never had any talent for original compositions for 20 years, then I’m not exactly sure that an 11-year long exit would change things all that much tbh. But let’s just hope he’s reflected on things so far and won’t pull such tricks again.
If anything though, this should be some interesting news for VGMDB to pick up on.
(Wondering why they didn’t just make him re-arrange the original series BGM for Kai, would have been the best outcome.)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:25 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:27 pm If he never had any talent for original compositions for 20 years
Oh come on, I don't think everything he did was ripped off. Budokai 2 & 3's opening songs are timeless classics and they're original as far as I'm aware. I know there's lots he copied, but with the amount of contributions he did overall, there must also be plenty he came up on his own.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:45 am

You know, I've always wondered... is it because of Yamamoto's departure from Dragon Ball that most (if not, all) DB video games post-Raging Blast 2 DIDN'T have ORIGNIAL intro themes?

In addition, is this why Kageyama left the series after that game, too? Well, by proxy, of course.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:16 am I'm surprised he didn't start a new name.

Well, nice to see him working again.
Assuming JASRAC works the same way as similar agencies in other countries, the compositions would be listed here under his legal name no matter what. He could use a different name on the credits of an actual release, though.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:49 pm

Welp, good luck to him

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:31 am

Returning to this thread (almost 2 years since the last reply, I know), the next set of music added to JASRAC under his name (and also published by the same Music Airport) is, so far, code 272-xxxx-x, precisely 6 tracks in total.
And judging by the titles, as well as the only credit present being "Composer", it seems to be regular instrumental material of some kind (although I've yet to see or hear any of the works from these sets).
Guess that's definitely all that's left for him now, even after so long a time period. Certainly not going anywhere near regular entertainment media labels for soundtracks anymore.
Last edited by GhostEmperorX on Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.