About Kikuchi's "The Pain Has Passed" & "Anticipation"

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

About Kikuchi's "The Pain Has Passed" & "Anticipation"

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:07 pm

So, there are these two tracks that people like to call "Anticipation" and "The Pain has Passed", what's the big deal with these tracks? Well, I see that it's been a long time that people considered these two being unused tracks from The World's Strongest, mostly specifically, M906 and M907, from what I can record, Kei17 and Poppalarge consired them as Movie 2 tracks (despite Kei17's video and Large's channel were deleted), the site Bsk BGM World also does the same (but lists them with different numbers).
Well I see as possible arguments for this, for "Anticipation" at least, the fact that it was never used in the TV Series before episode 59, and the Movie 2 score is used starting from episode 47, but "The Pain Has Passed" is used much much much much later, in episode 287, near the end of the series, these tracks could be from anywhere!
There are other tracks with similar cases, specifically from the OG DB movies, but they can be explained
M256 even though was used just in Z episode 19, TheZestanor considered it as being a track from DB Movie 1, which makes sense, because it has the theme of Gurumes' army.
Gregory Throws the Kame Gang for a Loop was used just in Z episode 55, TheZestanor consired it as a DB Movie 2 track, which I thought it didn't made much sense in the beginning, but later I noticed, that it has Ghastel's theme!
Love at Second Sight which was used in just two episodes of Z from what I recall, was considered back then by Large as a track from DB Movie 3, because it contains Upa and Bora's theme from that movie.
And so it goes...You can notice that leitmotifs really helped us identifying these tracks, but M906 and M907 are different, I tried my best, but I can't recognize any familiar leitmotif from Z Movie 2 present in these two tracks.
Also, technically this track is also a curious case, used only in episode 289, considered from what I remember, by Large, Kei17 and DBUM, as a unused cue from Movie 12, makes sense, contains Goku's third leitmotif, but Movies 8, 9 and 13 also contains his theme, could be a unused cue from these movies, right?
So back to the main two tracks, what really makes us think that they are from Movie 2?
Just to make it clear, no, I'm not accusing anyone of anything or something like that, I know that everything regarding the Unreleased tracks is pure speculation, I just want to discuss, what makes "you" think that the "X" tracks are from "Y" movie?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

BladeXRG

Re: About Kikuchi's "The Pain Has Passed" & "Anticipation"

Post by BladeXRG » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:08 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:07 pm So, there are these two tracks that people like to call "Anticipation" and "The Pain has Passed", what's the big deal with these tracks? Well, I see that it's been a long time that people considered these two being unused tracks from The World's Strongest, mostly specifically, M906 and M907, from what I can record, Kei17 and Poppalarge consired them as Movie 2 tracks (despite Kei17's video and Large's channel were deleted), the site Bsk BGM World also does the same (but lists them with different numbers).
Well I see as possible arguments for this, for "Anticipation" at least, the fact that it was never used in the TV Series before episode 59, and the Movie 2 score is used starting from episode 47, but "The Pain Has Passed" is used much much much much later, in episode 287, near the end of the series, these tracks could be from anywhere!
There are other tracks with similar cases, specifically from the OG DB movies, but they can be explained
M256 even though was used just in Z episode 19, TheZestanor considered it as being a track from DB Movie 1, which makes sense, because it has the theme of Gurumes' army.
Gregory Throws the Kame Gang for a Loop was used just in Z episode 55, TheZestanor consired it as a DB Movie 2 track, which I thought it didn't made much sense in the beginning, but later I noticed, that it has Ghastel's theme!
Love at Second Sight which was used in just two episodes of Z from what I recall, was considered back then by Large as a track from DB Movie 3, because it contains Upa and Bora's theme from that movie.
And so it goes...You can notice that leitmotifs really helped us identifying these tracks, but M906 and M907 are different, I tried my best, but I can't recognize any familiar leitmotif from Z Movie 2 present in these two tracks.
Also, technically this track is also a curious case, used only in episode 289, considered from what I remember, by Large, Kei17 and DBUM, as a unused cue from Movie 12, makes sense, contains Goku's third leitmotif, but Movies 8, 9 and 13 also contains his theme, could be a unused cue from these movies, right?
So back to the main two tracks, what really makes us think that they are from Movie 2?
Just to make it clear, no, I'm not accusing anyone of anything or something like that, I know that everything regarding the Unreleased tracks is pure speculation, I just want to discuss, what makes "you" think that the "X" tracks are from "Y" movie?
Well, in my current documentation I'm pretty much avoiding to put "unused from X movie" if I'm not 100% sure it comes from there. For both Anticipation and The Pain Has Passed, they're ambiguous, the reason we think they are from movie 2 is because they both fit some silent scenes (Gohan waking up after what just happened and Chichi thinking Gohan is becoming a delinquent respectively) perfectly and fill the two missing labels. This is totally up-to-change, and if in some future Columbia comes and says "no, they're actually from the TV series" it'd make just as much sense.

For the "supposedly movie 12" unused track, I have even less of a clue. This one could be from the TV series, from movie 13, anything would be just as valid, I think the only reason to believe it's from movie 12 is the goofiness it has, which wouldn't fit movie 13. But I'm even less confident on this one because, in fact, movie 12 has extra labels, not missing labels!

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: About Kikuchi's "The Pain Has Passed" & "Anticipation"

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:11 pm

BladeXRG wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:08 pm the reason we think they are from movie 2 is because they both fit some silent scenes (Gohan waking up after what just happened and Chichi thinking Gohan is becoming a delinquent respectively) perfectly and fill the two missing labels. This is totally up-to-change, and if in some future Columbia comes and says "no, they're actually from the TV series" it'd make just as much sense.
For "Anticipation" I agree, it fits perfectly between the "Piccolo San Daisuki" scene and the switch to the Kame House scene, I've already made a edit showing that, but "The Pain Has Passed" don't, it doesn't fit anywhere in that scene, "Anticipation" already ocuppies the full length of the scene with Gohan and Chichi, what makes it more difficulty is that they doesn't include any leitmotif, at least not a one that I could recognize, so this makes them even more mysterious
For the "supposedly movie 12" unused track, I have even less of a clue. This one could be from the TV series, from movie 13, anything would be just as valid, I think the only reason to believe it's from movie 12 is the goofiness it has, which wouldn't fit movie 13. But I'm even less confident on this one because, in fact, movie 12 has extra labels, not missing labels!
Being from the M1700 score would be a hopeless last second guess, it contains Goku's reworked third theme, so It can't be from Movie 10, 11 or any score that precedes Movie 8, could be M1506, or a cue from Movie 9 too, but it musical style definitely is much more the face of the goofy eletronic style from Movie 12, can't imagine it being from Movie 13, and yeah in fact Movie 12 have extra labels, but Movie 9 too, as for the M1700 Score, well, in the M700 score we only had 4 leitmotifs, the Cha La Head Cha la related tracks, Kid Gohan's theme, Piccolo's, and Saiyans, then in Boo arc we only have the We were Angels and We Gotta Power related tracks, and the return of Movie 9 Teen Gohan's theme. If you notice, Kikuchi very clearly wanted to compose for the TV score, themes that represent just true central elements of the specific arc (7-Saiyans, Gohan & Piccolo/17-Gohan), alongside with, obviously, instrumentals of the OP and ENDs themes. Goku was no way a major element in the beginning of the Boo arc, so it wouldn't make any sense composing a track with his theme for this score, this is what convinces me that it doesn't belong to this score, but everything is possible.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.