Every Video Game Theme Song Ranked

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Every Video Game Theme Song Ranked

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:04 am

I'm a firm believer that almost all the theme songs for the video games are better than the opening themes for every Dragon Ball anime. Here's a ranking of all the video game songs. I've only included the ones with lyrics. I also didn't include the tracks from Dragon Ball Heroes. Let me know how you would rank them!

10. Dragon Ball Fusions - Maxi Fusion
Probably the only track here that I don't like. I don't care for any of the DB Heroes tracks and this sounds like a lot of those songs. They all sound the same.

9. Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2 - Battle of Omega
The last time we got to hear a new track by Kageyama. I like the chorus a lot, but it doesn't quite match up to the energy we get in other opening songs.

8. Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 - Ore wa Tokoton Tomaranai!!
Iconic. The start of the song feels so motivating and goes so well with Goku flying through some clouds. But, like the last track, it just lacks some of the punch we get from other songs.

7. Dragon Ball Z Infinite World - Hikari no Sasu Mirai e!
I never got to play this game growing up because it never released in Australia, but this song always stuck out to me when I would look up the opening online.

6. Dragon Ball Revenge of King Piccolo - POWER OF DREAMER
This could honestly work perfectly as an opening for the original anime. I love the way it starts and the chorus is so goddamn catchy. You just want to vibe to the song. It perfectly captures the feeling of early Dragon Ball.

5. Dragon Ball Final Bout - THE BIGGEST FIGHT ~Gekitotsu~
Despite the opening riff sounding almost identical to the theme of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, this track absolutely bangs. It's probably the only 90s Dragon Ball track that doesn't feel like it's trapped in sounds that were prevelant in almost every song from the series. So many tracks back then just felt kinda corny with the use of synths. But this stands the test of time. It's so good.

4. Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 - Super Survivor
Kageyama's yell at the start of this track always gives me chills. This song is like 80% of the reason why people have fond memories of this game. Just pure hype.

3. Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2 - Kusuburu heart ni Hi o Tsukero!!
Budokai 2 was what first got me into the series, so I have a lot of nostalgic bias towards this track. I love Kageyama's vocals. I love the use of brass. I love piano organ in the background. One of the best tracks from the series ever.

2. Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit - Kiseki no Honō Yo Moeagare!!
When this song starts playing... chills EVERYWHERE. That violin that kicks in after Kageyama's opening vocals is just... perfection. The backing vocals in this track take it to another level. It is just so much better than any other song we have gotten as opening themes for the anime. If I'm being completely honest, the track I have listed as number 1 only beats this by a hair.

1. Dragon Ball Raging Blast - Progression
This track does everything that the last track did. What makes it better is that I feel like Kageyama sings his heart out here (moreso than usual). I also love the lyrics, they're so motivating. It's a song that pushes the themes of extreme optimism and overcoming the impossible. That's what Dragon Ball is all about.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Every Video Game Theme Song Ranked

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:58 pm

It's hard to rank them, but Budokai 3's song is my favourite. Final Bout, Budokai 2, Infinite World, and Tenkaichi 3 all have incredible themes too. Burst Limit and Raging Blast 1 songs are okay, but not as good as those others. Raging Blast 2 had a good one which could actually be played in battle.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:23 am

Why don't you have Final Bout in your list? It's amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGndtt ... yranic1993

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:59 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:23 am Why don't you have Final Bout in your list? It's amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGndtt ... yranic1993
It… it is on my list. It’s number 5. And it is amazing.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:48 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:59 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:23 am Why don't you have Final Bout in your list? It's amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGndtt ... yranic1993
It… it is on my list. It’s number 5. And it is amazing.
Oh, pardon me for my momumentary blindness.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:38 pm

Why has nobody mentioned Gatebreaker from Budokai Tenkaichi 2, or the Shin Budokai openings?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:19 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:38 pm Why has nobody mentioned Gatebreaker from Budokai Tenkaichi 2, or the Shin Budokai openings?
Those don’t have lyrics.