Episode #0134 (22 June 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0134 (22 June 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:57 pm

Episode #0134 (download MP3) (rss feed)
35:34; 64 kbps, mono; 16.2 MB

Episode #0134! VegettoEX and Meri with a bunch of friends to ask the sole question... What do you think is the biggest story or issue affecting DB fandom today? Interestingly enough, even seemingly-different answers have a little bit of cross-over. Stay tuned at the end for a couple of check-ins from AnimeNEXT! Referenced sites:
  • No referenced sites!
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the kinda nice *one-hundred-thirty-four* episodes, now.

Despite being at a convention all weekend, we've got an episode for you! If you didn't have a chance, you can after-the-fact follow along with the convention, if you want :P.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:01 pm

Man those figures are sweet!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:24 pm

I've got to agree pretty much on every point, really. I don't understand the hate for Sabat, has he personally said anything radical or anything? Being a fan of his and the rest of the cast I propose that both sides respect each other but there are always those people.

EDIT: Ooh! Pokémon reference! Might I ask what your team looks like? :D
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:24 am

Ah, the Saturn. Constantly battling with the Genesis and the 360 for the 2nd place slot in my personal "Best Console Ever Made In The History Of Anything"....battle.

Because, obviously, nothing beats the Dreamcast. ;-)

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:24 am

Great podcast!,

I personally think that the live action movie is the biggest "issue" affecting DB fandom, I'm personally worried about the merchandise.

Are we going to see video games based on the movie?, toys, comics?, is the new wave of interest in Dragonball after the movie (unless it completely tanks) going to spark a new wave of merchandise, and is it going to be completely movie oriented?

I really think that it's an interesting time to be a Dragonball fan, merchandise has played a large role in keeping the fandom going, so what happens if the live action movie tampers with this on a large scale, are we going to see less products based on the anime?, are we going to see more to cash in on the popularity?

Thats my two cents anyhow.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:00 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I really think that it's an interesting time to be a Dragonball fan, merchandise has played a large role in keeping the fandom going, so what happens if the live action movie tampers with this on a large scale, are we going to see less products based on the anime?, are we going to see more to cash in on the popularity?
Most of the anime figures are developed in Japan so the live action movie probably won't effect or replace those. The LA movie may however give us a new line of figures based on that movie, which would be nice and would probably help spark the fandom.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:47 am

I have to admit, I'm afraid of the movie as well. It bothers me much more than the "widescreen" sets or the edited Viz manga.

I'm worried that Justin Chatwin (and whoever decided to style his hair) is going to ruin one of my favorite characters. :cry:
And the worst part is there's nothing we can do about it.

I'll take Masako Nozawa and all three Funi dub Gokus over Chatwin any day.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:27 am

I agreed with a lot of things brought up in the topic, but my biggest issue with the fandom is...

Ignorance

I mean oh my god it's so insane the amount of ignorance and/or stupidity around the fandom or (certain) fans have.

It's hard believing some of the things you read on certain sites (like GameFAQs everytime a new DBZ game comes out or is coming out) just because they're so dumb or a waste of time or whatever, and all of it are things that have been brought up like a billion times already yet for whatever some person thinks they're the first one that came up with a question like what would happen if Nappa went Super Saiyan? Then you have all the people who want to discuss power levels and post things like Character A >>>>>> Character B type things, or you have the people that just don't want to listen to anything or don't have any clue what they're talking about when they're like Akira Toriyama had nothing to do with the movies, filler, or GT (which isn't true as he did have involvement to a degree in all those things, mostly character designs, but some plot points as well) and there's all the ignorance that comes with the video games too, either about how they're made, or who's responsible for what, or why this isn't that way, or why I can't have this or that, which just goes into a greed aspect or people having unrealistic expectations of these games.

It just gets to the point where you're like "forget this" although there are times when I think "forget this" in a different regard then most people, ie with all the problems DB/Z/GT has (a lot of which IGN listed in this list of what's wrong with DBZ) it makes me wish I had my own version of DB or a version of it that didn't have all these problems. Something like a DB Reboot, Redux, Remix, etc, that's not completely bound by what Toriyama did, or the anime did, or whatever else did, and every aspect of it would be made very clear to the point the crazy fans would have to stfu about it when it came to this specific version as what I envision wouldn't have much that could be disputed or wouldn't have all these dumb fanboy things attached to it the way these things do. Example with power levels I'd have them all listed out (they might not be accurate to the manga or anime, but would be accurate to this new continuity) to the point where it's all layed as fact on a website or something. Of course you'd have people that would want to argue about the way this new version does things and how it's not exactly like the original, but that whole point of it would be different (but still good) the way comic book movies are now days, or the Ultimate Marvel comics, or X-Men Evolution, etc, was to me.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:04 am

New (or younger) fans are always going to be less knowledgeable about certain aspects of the series (which in itself is no crime) and more prone to buying into, and spreading misinformation.

It's what these people choose to do once they're given the correct information.

Anyway, as for a reboot of the series, if there was one, I would personally like to see it follow the manga to the letter, attempts at straying from it haven't been very successful in the past *cough*GT*cough*

I don't see the need for re-telling of Dragonball in an alternate universe, if anything it would just complicate things, Dragonball as a comic book is very accessible, you don't have to go digging around for back issues, you don't have to buy trade-paperbacks, you don't have storylines spanning multiple properties (Civil war..grumble..grumble), it's all there in one neat and tidy package, they even have numbers on the spine.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:52 am

New (or younger) fans are always going to be less knowledgeable about certain aspects of the series (which in itself is no crime) and more prone to buying into, and spreading misinformation.

It's what these people choose to do once they're given the correct information.
If you're really a fan of something like dbz then you should be coming to sites like this (or even Wikipedia if nothing else) if they want to learn about it, but you have all these people that don't ever want to do any research.
Anyway, as for a reboot of the series, if there was one, I would personally like to see it follow the manga to the letter, attempts at straying from it haven't been very successful in the past *cough*GT*cough*
That can already be done just by editing the anime, ie you can edit the anime to fit the manga.

Also if they were going that route I'd want them to cut out a lot of stuff. Rather then another long ass series it be great if they could condense the sagas down to movies. For instance I think/know that the Saiyan Saga could be cut down to a single movie.

I've been watching the entire series recently and there's SO much stuff that can be cut out to make things go quicker or for better pacing or to produce a better emotional response from the viewer, etc, and I'm not just talking about the filler either.
I don't see the need for re-telling of Dragonball in an alternate universe, if anything it would just complicate things,
It would complicate things if it explained things that the series didn't or people would take things from this new series as fact rather then whatever else, but that's unavoidable, the new live action movie will complicate things as will the new animation, ie anything new (which we won't stop seeing) will complicate things.

What I envisioned in my head was more of a video game, choose your own adventure, date sim, action RPG type thing. For instance the most linear path in the game would produce results exactly like the series, however you could drastically alter things (to a degree) if you went off that path. Like you're playing as Goku and you have all sorts of choices you can make (the way you can in games like Knights of the Old Republic, Fable, etc) and you could decide if you want to be good or bad, what romantic relationship you want to pursue, and things of that nature, so you the player could embrace Goku's Saiyan lineage (destroying Earth) or see what things would've been like if Goku married Bulma instead of Chi Chi, or what would happen if Vegeta died in that first battle with Goku, etc, etc, and while a realist might think to themselves that's way too many alternate paths for a game to accomplish it really isn't as some aspects would be unavoidable. Example no matter what you do in the you're always going to have to fight Freeza at some point, and a lot of choices would just end up making the game longer or shorter, like if Earth is destroyed (and remains destroyed) prior to the Android Saga, well guess what no Android Saga due to the fact that you altered history to the point where it couldn't happen.

The idea is kind of like a much more fleshed out version of Budokai 3's Story Mode.

I like the story of DB but it's the samething everytime with the games, series, manga, etc, and it be really intresting to see something different especially if the fans had the choice in how different it could be, ie if your a purist and want exactly the manga that's fine, but don't limit it to just that. For instance that game I described above would suck, or be very short or very limited if it just stuck to the manga just as games like Knights of The Old Republic and Fable wouldn't be what they are if they didn't offer you the freedoms that they do.

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:06 pm

My imagination of how the Brian Drummond text message updates went:

Meri: He's doing over 9000!
Mike: GODDAMNIT

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:38 pm

Very interesting episode. I hope that there are more episodes like this every now and then when you bring in other listeners and forum goers to get their take on different topics. Great work!

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:58 pm

I didn't get to listen to the podcast yet, since I've been at work since my return from AnimeNEXT.. but whoa... I'm totally stoked that you guys put a picture of me and my friend up on the main page... I was Goten and she was Trunks. And I'll totally send over some pictures of the wee little Goku, I have a few with him!
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Sabin Deus wrote:My imagination of how the Brian Drummond text message updates went:

Meri: He's doing over 9000!
Mike: GODDAMNIT
That was basically the long and short of it, yeah. :D
Artificial Human #887 wrote:I didn't get to listen to the podcast yet, since I've been at work since my return from AnimeNEXT.. but whoa... I'm totally stoked that you guys put a picture of me and my friend up on the main page... I was Goten and she was Trunks. And I'll totally send over some pictures of the wee little Goku, I have a few with him!
That's awesome! As I was taking photos, in the back of my head I was wondering "I wonder if any of these cosplayers are podcast listeners?" Whoa!
[url=http://www.templeotrunks.com]http://www.templeotrunks.com[/url]

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:48 am

Nice podcast! By the way, nice figures you got. :)

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:31 pm

I would post some rage about the fandom, but I think it's all been said for the most part. I hate how there are elitist types and dub types, I hate how they always bicker, and how any topic will, in no less than 20 posts, become a DragonBox vs Season Set topic.

And raging about other things, I hate how every Pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire requires you to get a legendary Pokemon in the story. That's why I always loved Red/Green/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver, they were there for you to hunt, but you had to actually hunt for them.

((I miss things like Day/Night specific events and super rare Pokemans. I hear the game after platinum will be a set of Silver/Gold remakes.))