Fan group scanning/remastering of multi-generational film prints previously owned by FUNimation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Fan group scanning/remastering of multi-generational film prints previously owned by FUNimation

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:21 pm

Account strikes have been issued. See prior administrative warning. Bans and thread closures to follow additional behavior of this type.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Someoneimportant

Re: Fan group scanning/remastering of multi-generational film prints previously owned by FUNimation

Post by Someoneimportant » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:02 pm

This is very neat and no doubt the effort that went into this is monumental. However, the good always come with some unfortunate news as well. I’m not sure if everyone here knows, so apologies if this was already covered, but after looking into the reddit thread from where this movie got found, it states that the full movie wasn’t recovered, just a single reel and likely the rest of the movies are gone forever too, unless another rare situation like this repeats itself, the rest of the movies are possibly gone with no hope of recovery. It’s sad but that’s reality. We should be grateful with what we have. I just hate to be a downer about this.

Also thank you OP for pointing out that no “EVIL DNR” was used. It’s important to know that DNR can be done well, if you know what you’re doing. Companies like Funimation and Toei are just clueless. Imagine getting paid to do your work in the most crap way imaginable.

God how I wish I was remastering DBZ for Funimation! I would literally have to do NOTHING and still get paid. Dream job right there and the best part, clueless fans will still eat it up. Just look at how many people are defending the crappy 30th-anniversary set. It’s embarrassing.

Just a quick note on those who know what they are doing, as opposed to those who don’t.

While I am glad what Kineko AKA The Femboys is/are doing and sharing these findings, it is interesting to note that their power just keeps growing, and if they ever used their powers for evil, we might be too powerless to stop them. That incident could be far beyond our imagination and could lead to the downfall of western civilizations as we know them, if that situation ever came to pass, we simply wouldn’t to be able to do anything. These are trying times; we must stay vigilant.

Just my two cents on the topic at hand.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:57 pm

The thing is there's actual hope for OG DB/Z (perhaps even movie or a TV special) since they were sent as film reels to various distributors across the world. So there is a (not likely but still) possibility of them popping up. Unfortunately GT didn't have that kind of luxury since it was sent in tape format and not in film :(

it's interesting to "Think/imagine" A group restores the DB series in 4K hey one can hope.

Someoneimportant

Post by Someoneimportant » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:08 am

This is just sad.

It’s incredible how quickly the video got taken down by Toei. They are SCARED! Can’t let the fans expose Toei’s laziness and narcissism. It’s fine though, everybody knows Toei have the goods but refuse to share them with the rest of the world, while DB is at peak popularity. Talk about clueless. Those original film prints are just rotting away in their vault if they didn’t already trash them.

The clip looked gorgeous though, sadly the wrong people are in power. I hope the fans keep trying to do some good, and the losers responsible for mismanaging the franchise get rightfully fired.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:20 am

Not sure if this counts as piracy or not since it's only part of the movie and it's literally the only way to see it like this, but the full reel was uploaded to the Internet Archive. It's quite something.

(link removed)

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:02 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:54 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:20 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:34 pm I'd be interested in seeing some comparison images between this transfer and Toei's widescreen HD version. Maybe Funi's HD version too, for kicks.
Thanks.

Looks like Toei's reputation for excessive greenness holds true... Excessive warmth too.
It must be said that while Toei's negative scan is very warm, the print scan is also very blue-ish cold. An inbetween compromise between them would probably be ideal
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:03 am

ikaos wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:20 am Not sure if this counts as piracy or not since it's only part of the movie and it's literally the only way to see it like this, but the full reel was uploaded to the Internet Archive. It's quite something.

(link removed)
Ooh, lovely!

I do love being wrong in cases such as these. Thanks for sharing! :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:29 am

ikaos wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:20 am Not sure if this counts as piracy or not since it's only part of the movie and it's literally the only way to see it like this, but the full reel was uploaded to the Internet Archive. It's quite something.

(link removed)
I got banned for 6 months for calling someone an idiot. If VegettoEX does nothing about this, then I'll be at a loss for words.

And frankly, the less I see of the Kineko Femboys stroking their deluded egos, the better.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:21 pm

Arian wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:29 am And frankly, the less I see of the Kineko Femboys stroking their deluded egos, the better.
I know you're (probably) nodding to the fact that they used to be called FemboyFilms but like

idk its kinda weird and not cool how it reads like you're trying to use "femboy" as an insult

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:48 pm

Arian wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:29 am

(link removed)
I got banned for 6 months for calling someone an idiot. If VegettoEX does nothing about this, then I'll be at a loss for words.

And frankly, the less I see of the Kineko Femboys stroking their deluded egos, the better.
Hey, guys.

Can't we all just get along? And enjoy some Ultra High Definition Dragon Ball Zed?

Honestly, I know for some of us here it can be a bit hard on our egos that we aren't the ones doing something like this and instead it's other fans (who apparently don't like us...). BUT, it's honestly just too amazing to hate on, right?

I mean, get this. I did some digging and have concluded that this whole event was prophesised to us back in twenty sixteen. Yes, six years ago.

Six years ago, in twenty sixteen, it was prophesised to us (by an mf with a moses picture, no less) that if said mf could get her fingers on the DB film "tapes", we would get an epic remaster. Even the most supreme user of this forum, VegettoEX, did not have faith. He called this individual a "Joe Schmoe", in fact.

Now, the only question we have left is was this done with free or pirated software?

Let me know your thoughts, guys.

Peace.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:20 pm

Come on people Do we really have to focus in on personal feuds that happened years ago that aren't even relevant. I mean if you guys wanna fight over it there's always DM, discord and stuff like that, if it was up to me just put them in a cage and see who wins.

we should be focusing on instead on the FACT THAT

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER, TO SEE DRAGON BALL IN 4K WE SHOULD BE LOSING OUR MINDS. We've been waiting for something like this for quite some time haven't we? So let's cheer on and hope for a bright future.
Last edited by Pride9000!!! on Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:48 pm

It says something that it's a handful of people -- I'm literally counting on one hand here -- that are the main personalities in this thread (and it seems to be one of the only things that you're here to post about). There's hardly anyone else from this community's vast number of participants that wants to jump in.

It's because, quite frankly, you're being extremely weird.

You've already been told several times that your external, interpersonal drama isn't welcome here. The name of the thread was already adjusted to help guide this. Administrative requests have been formally made. Multiple times. Account strikes have been issued on top of that.

And yet, the same couple people just keep being extremely weird. It's almost like your posts have to be this bit of performance art that's completely inscrutable to anyone but you.

The team here isn't going to keep babysitting you. Enough is enough. Someone needs to tell you for the third time in a single post that you're being super weirdos, and this is it. Either respect the spirit of our community guidelines, or stop posting -- if we have to actually deactivate your account to do so, fine, but we'd rather not waste each others' time. We all have better, more productive things to be doing.

Please take a step back and reevaluate what we're all here for. Best of luck to those working on cool things, and here's to our collective hope for amazing treatment of Dragon Ball in the future.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Venny

Post by Venny » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:48 pm It says something that it's a handful of people -- I'm literally counting on one hand here -- that are the main personalities in this thread (and it seems to be one of the only things that you're here to post about). There's hardly anyone else from this community's vast number of participants that wants to jump in.

It's because, quite frankly, you're being extremely weird.

You've already been told several times that your external, interpersonal drama isn't welcome here. The name of the thread was already adjusted to help guide this. Administrative requests have been formally made. Multiple times. Account strikes have been issued on top of that.

And yet, the same couple people just keep being extremely weird. It's almost like your posts have to be this bit of performance art that's completely inscrutable to anyone but you.

The team here isn't going to keep babysitting you. Enough is enough. Someone needs to tell you for the third time in a single post that you're being super weirdos, and this is it. Either respect the spirit of our community guidelines, or stop posting -- if we have to actually deactivate your account to do so, fine, but we'd rather not waste each others' time. We all have better, more productive things to be doing.
Thanks. All this drama is ruining the thread frankly. I just want it to be discussion on these scans and the possibilities for more. Maybe even be a way to find people who have film collections of their own and forward that to Kineko. Sorry for my initial response it was only out of sincerity and in no way was trying to instigate or peddle drama from the thread. It was only to clear the air because there are quite a few who like saying Kineko is "hoarding" what we have or trying to farm clout which is far from the truth. Many of the people in the group believe in getting this content out to everyone even if we have methods of archival far beyond having it preserved online. I appreciate your effort in trying to keep the thread on topic and I hope everyone can settle down and be civil.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:50 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:20 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:34 pm That's cool.

Though, don't get too excited; these guys did transfers of some episodes of OG DB well over a year ago which have yet to see the light of day outside of the odd clip or screenshot. Apparently the known troll Enigmo is their chief colour corrector (or was), and that guy is sort of known for not wanting this sort of stuff to be available to people he doesn't like (i.e. any of us posting on this forum :lol:), so who knows precisely what will happen with this.

Really nice to see such a high-quality scan of this in full-frame though. Even these screenshots and the video of the ending are a real joy to see! :)
It would be lovely to see the entire reel (and their scans of those DB episodes!), but frankly I'm just happy to see what we have so far.

I'd be interested in seeing some comparison images between this transfer and Toei's widescreen HD version. Maybe Funi's HD version too, for kicks.

If you color correct the Toei remaster you get very similar results as what Kineko made just in 1.85:1.

I slightly prefer the colors in Kineko's version but the Toei remaster has infinitely better dark detail. Still these guys did an awesome job.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:57 pm

It's worth nothing that Kineko didn't actually do any restoration yet, they just scanned and cropped it.

You can pull out that dark detail from their print just fine:

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:03 pm

Ajay wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:57 pm It's worth nothing that Kineko didn't actually do any restoration yet, they just scanned and cropped it.

Still get better dark detail with Toei

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:03 pm

DHM211 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:03 pm
Ajay wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:57 pm It's worth nothing that Kineko didn't actually do any restoration yet, they just scanned and cropped it.

Still get better dark detail with Toei

Yeah sadly, the Toei's film has better dark details
Is not Kineko fault of course

https://imgsli.com/MTI1MTYz/0/1

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:07 pm

Eh, I'd argue this is even better than Toei:

Mind you, I'm still working with the Twitter shot and not the real source.
(my main monitor sucks so ignore the washed out look lol)
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Someoneimportant

Post by Someoneimportant » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:20 pm

It's an order of magnitude better than Toei's overall, like yeah some dark detail is lost but what do you expect? Fans don't have access to the original film prints. Want everything in one package? Impossible I'm afraid, until companies start doing it themselves. (Which they wont) It's time to accept that this is about as good as it's ever going to get.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:28 pm

Someoneimportant wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:20 pm It's an order of magnitude better than Toei's overall, like yeah some dark detail is lost but what do you expect? Fans don't have access to the original film prints. Want everything in one package? Impossible I'm afraid, until companies start doing it themselves. (Which they wont) It's time to accept that this is about as good as it's ever going to get.
The 2018 Toei remaster with color correction is basically everything in one package. Sure those aren't in 4:3 if that's a dealbreaker for you, but the movies weren't intended to be seen that way anyway so it's no loss to me.
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:07 pm Eh, I'd argue this is even better than Toei:
Mind you, I'm still working with the Twitter shot and not the real source.
(my main monitor sucks so ignore the washed out look lol)
Everything is too washed out I'm afraid, there are no more true black levels. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of a crisp transfer.