My Idea for a New, Multi-Platform Dragon Ball Game

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

My Idea for a New, Multi-Platform Dragon Ball Game

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:08 pm

I already posted this on Reddit, so if you'd like to read this same post there instead of here, go right ahead. Otherwise, here it is.

Alright, I spent at least three days thinking up, revising and rewriting this idea for a game, so please read it and provide feedback in the comments.

This idea is based on Tenkaichi 3 and some of the fan made Dragon Ball sprite games I've seen on the Play Store and APK sites (mostly Power Warriors and Warriors of the Universe, an Android exclusive). This one will be called Dragon Ball: Sprite Battle!. It will be a 2D side-scrolling fighting game that will go from Raditz to Boo, with Super and GT included as well. MAYBE the Z movies and TV specials as well. (and yes, you can fly)

GAME MODES

1. Versus (up to 3v3, with a switch-out button)

2. Local Play (up to 3v3 with local players)

3. Online Play (again, 3v3, but this time with global players; their countries are marked with a small flag next to their name)

4. Tenka'ichi Budokai (a tournament mode which can be played either online or offline. It goes up to 16 players [[or CPUs] in brackets, with the winner getting lots of Zeni. These can be played locally, globally, or with CPUs.)

5. Kaiju Mode (up to 3v3 with the kaiju characters, being Great Ape Gohan, Great Ape Vegeta, Giant Lord Slug, Golden Great Ape Baby Vegeta, Hirudegarn and Cell Max)

6. Watch (Watch CPUs fight each other)

7. Training (train with CPUs, or your friends)

8. Story Mode (it's the big one! Each arc of the story is separated into different story arcs with their own battles - Saiyans (but it starts with a cutscene of the Bardock special, recreated with in-game sprites), Freeza, Cell (but it starts with playable fights from the Trunks special and ends with Trunks killing 17, 18 and Cell), Boo, Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Universe 6, Goku Black, and the Tournament of Power. The movies are separate arcs.

9. Shop (here you can buy new skills, outfits, transformations, and items to use in battle, like Senzu, Capsules of Healing [regenerates your health bar, Capsules of Ki [regenerates your bar of ki], Capsules of Stamina [regenerates your stamina], Capsules of Impenetrability [makes your guard strong enough that nothing {except a Guard Break} can break it], etc.)

10. Theater (watch iconic cutscenes from the game's story mode)

CUTSCENES AND ONLINE GAME MODES

Cutscenes will appear in the game's story mode. Sometimes they will be text boxes with characters reading their lines (these kinds of cutscenes will appear in the tutorial or other scenes, like Vegeta and Nappa waiting for three hours), or they will be straight-up recreations of iconic scenes from the anime or movies (these kinds of cutscenes will appear during the big moments, like Dragon Ball Z's first beam struggle, the Genkidama, Super Saiyan on Namek, Trunks and Vegeta's Super Saiyan transformations, the Final Flash, Super Saiyan 2, Boo's awakening, Vegeta's sacrifice, Super Saiyan 3, etc.). They will be recreated using the in-game sprites, and rather than recording new lines for them, like most games do, the majority of them will just use voice clips sourced from either Kai, the modern DB revival movies, Super, DBS: Broly, or DBS: Super Hero. The GT scenes will have new lines recorded for them, since we all know the GT dub was kind of...shit.

As for online game modes, besides the usual PvP and Tournament mode, here are some ideas:

1. Capture The Flag (Capture the other team's flag on the other side of the map before time runs out)

2. Targets (Hit all 12 of the moving targets before time runs out)

3. Raid (A mode where a specific character increases in power every time a player kills them. When they are killed 100 times, a NEW character takes their place. Each kill gives increasingly higher amounts of Zeni and experience points)

4. Online Boss Battle (A mode where 2 players can choose to fight the main story mode bosses - Vegeta, Freeza, Perfect Cell, Z Broly, Pure Boo, Hirudegarn, Baby Vegeta, the One-Star Dragon, Beerus, Golden Freeza, Hit, Goku Black, Merged Zamasu, Toppo, Jiren, DBS Broly or Cell Max. Obviously, Cell Max gives the most Zeni and experience points)

5. Tournament of Power (a free-for-all with 80 people on 2 teams, with 40 people on each team. The last man standing wins 1,000,000 Zeni)

CONTROLS + FIGHTING MECHANICS

I'm going to use the Xbox One controller as the basis here.

A - Jump, Double Jump to fly

B - Ki Blast, hold to do a ki blast barrage

X - Light Punch

Y - Heavy Punch

LB - Guard

LT - Charge Ki

RB - Transform

RT - Lock-On

Left Thumb Pad - Air & Ground Movement

D-Pad - Ground Movement

Right Thumb Pad - Fast Aerial Movement

LT + any of the face buttons - 3 Super Attacks and 1 Ultimate Attack

X + X + X + X + X = Start Up, Press X or Y to continue in the sky

X + Y at the same time - Guard Break

Hold Y - Grab

If you go to the end of a stage and do a grab or Ultimate Attack, your opponent will be flung to a new stage. And sometimes, the larger Ultimate Attacks (Boo arc Goku's Super Genkidama, Freeza's Supernova or Death Ball, or Majin Vegeta's Final Explosion) will make the stage change. In cities, this will just make it change to the Flattened City stage. In wastelands or on Namek, it will change to the Dying Planet stage, with random pillars of lava rising out of the ground, which can do damage to you.

ROSTER

1 Asterisk = 1 costume

Bold Name = Either unplayable or you can't fight them outside of the story mode without mods

Son Goku (Saiyan arc, transformations: Kaioken)*****

Son Goku (Freeza arc, transformations: Kaioken, SSJ)******

Son Goku (Cell/Boo arc, transformations: Kaioken, SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3) (Super Kaioken can be bought at the Shop and added to this version of Goku)*****

Son Goku (DB Super, transformations: Kaioken, SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3, SSJ God, SSJ Blue, SSJ Blue Kaioken, UI Omen, UI)*********

Son Goku (DBGT, transformations: SSJ, SSJ3, SSJ4)**

Son Gohan (Saiyan/Freeza/early Cell arc)*******

Son Gohan (Cell Games, transformations: SSJ, SSJ2)*****

Son Gohan (Boo arc, transformations: SSJ, SSJ2, Potential Unleashed)****

Son Gohan (adult, transformations: SSJ, SSJ2, Potential Unleashed, Beast Gohan)

Great Ape

Piccolo (Saiyan/Freeza arc)***

Piccolo (transformations: Potential Unleashed, Orange Piccolo)**

Kuririn *****

Tenshinhan *****

Yamcha **

Son Goten (Boo arc, transformations: SSJ)***

Son Goten (adult, transformations: SSJ)**

Trunks (Boo arc, transformations: SSJ)***

Trunks (GT, transformations: SSJ)*

Future Trunks (Cell arc, transformations: SSJ, SSJ Grade 2, SSJ Grade 3)****

Future Trunks (DB Super, transformations: SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ Rage)*

Raditz

Nappa ***

Vegeta (Saiyan/Freeza arc)*******

Great Ape Vegeta

Vegeta (Cell arc, transformations: SSJ, SSJ Grade 2)

Vegeta (Boo arc, transformations: SSJ, SSJ2)

Majin Vegeta

Vegeta (DB Super, transformations: SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ God, SSJ Blue, SSJ Blue Evolution)*******

Vegeta (GT, transformations: SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ4)**

Baby Vegeta (transformations: Strongest Form 1, Strongest Form 2)

Golden Great Ape Baby Vegeta

Future Gohan (transformations: SSJ)**

Freeza (transformations: 2nd form, 3rd form, Final Form, 100% Final Form)

Freeza (DB Super, transformations: Final Form, Golden Freeza)

Cell (transformations: Semi-Perfect, Perfect, Super Perfect)

Paikuhan

Majin Boo (Fat)

Majin Boo (Super, transformations: Gotenks Absorbed, Gohan Absorbed)

Majin Boo (Pure)

#17 **

#18 *****

Dr. Gero **

Cell Jr.

Saibaiman

Zarbon (transformations: Ugly form)

Dodoria

Jheese

Butta

Gurdo

Recoom **

Ginyu **

Beerus

Hit (transformations: Pure Progress, Pure Progress 2)

Goku Black (transformations: SSJ Rosé)**

Zamasu

Merged Zamasu **

Cabba (transformations: SSJ, SSJ2)

Caulifla (transformations: SSJ, SSJ2)

Kale (transformations: Controlled LSSJ, LSSJ)

Kefla (transformations: SSJ, SSJ2)

Toppo (transformations: God of Destruction mode)

Dyspo

Ribrianne

Roasie

Kakunsa

Bergamo

Lavender

Basil

Jiren (transformations: Full Power)

Garlic Jr. (transformations: Super Garlic Jr.)

Nicky

Sansho

Ginger

Dr. Uiro

Tullece

Amond

Cacao

Rasin/Lakasei

Daiz

Angira

Dorodabo

Medamatcha

Lord Slug

Dore

Thouser

Neiz

Cooler (transformations: 5th form)

#13 (transformations: Super 13)

Metal Cooler

Z Broly (transformations: SSJ, Restricted SSJ, LSSJ)

Bio-Broly

Botamo

Magetta

Anilaza

Zangya

Gokua

Bido

Bujin

Bojack (transformations: Full Power)

Fat Janemba

Super Janemba

Hirudegarn

Super 17

Three-Star Dragon

Four-Star Dragon

Five-Star Dragon

Two-Star Dragon

Six-Star Dragon

Seven-Star Dragon

One-Star Dragon (transformations: Super One-Star Dragon)

Vegetto (transformations: SSJ, SSJ Blue)

Super Gogeta (DBZ Movie 12)

SSJ4 Gogeta (DBGT)

Gogeta (DBS, transformations: SSJ, SSJ Blue)

Bardock **

Gotenks (transformations: SSJ, SSJ3)

Broly (DBS, transformations: Ikari, SSJ, SSJ Full Power)****

Gamma 1

Gamma 2

Cell Max

STAGES

Break Wasteland

Gizard Wasteland

Namek

New Namek

West City

Gingertown

Lord Slug's Ship

Mei Queen Castle

New Planet Vegeta

Space (Earth)

Space (Planet Vegeta)

Mountain Road

Cell Games Arena

Cell Games Arena (Destroyed)

Tenka'ichi Budokai Arena

Tenka'ichi Dai Budotaikai Arena

Battle Zone 1

Battle Zone 2

Battle Zone 3

Battle Zone 4

Battle Zone 5

Natade Village

Kaio's Planet

Kaioshin Planet

Beerus' Planet

Red Ribbon Army Base

Capsule Corporation

West City (Suburbs)

West City (Business District)

Goku's House

Islands

Cliff

Ruined Timeline

Room of Spirit and Time

God's Temple

Forest

Tournament of Power

Tournament of Power (Half-Way)

Tournament of Power (Demolished)

Universe 6 Tournament

Anoyoichi Budokai

Babidi's Ship

Flattened City

Dying Planet

And finally, it'll be on the current consoles and phones most people have right now (in release order: Android, iOS, PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch), with a PS5 and Xbox Series X port about a year later. Alright, I think that's everything. This took a RIDICULOUSLY LONG TIME to make, so I really do hope you enjoy this idea. And provide feedback on it as well!
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: My Idea for a New, Multi-Platform Dragon Ball Game

Post by Grimlock » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:00 pm

Admittedly, it's not a game I'd give much attention, I don't usually play 2D fighting games and the "Raditz to Buu" takes all the fun away immediately (we have so many games like that...). But I might check it out for a while.

Props to the Story Mode starting with Bardock, as it should all Story Modes of games that don't have an original story. Make it possible for the player to actually do some quick battles against Freeza's soldiers before the cutscene inevitably starts to roll in.

I would probably cut down some characters and switch some for other ones. Tarble, King Vegeta, Chilled and Kuriza should be more prominent by now. Android 21's and Uub's absences are felt too.

Bardock doesn't have Super Saiyan? I feel like him not having Super Saiyan to be a major part of the character missing. Either that, or at least make one of his alternate costumes be the Time Breaker armor (with the mask). I have to say, a game without Super Saiyan Bardock (among other things and characters) feels very, very outdated (looking at you, Budokai Tenkaichi 3 that I tried to play not too long ago).
Super Saiyan or the Time Breaker outfit is a very cool nod to what has been done to this character in modern times and would prevent the feeling like I'm still living in the stone age with an outdated Bardock. :lol:

I'm not a game developer but I would assume some content here must be removed since you plan on releasing this game even for mobile devices. I don't think a game meant for major consoles will work on Android and such. Unless you intend to make this version different from the others right from the start.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:42 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:00 pm I would probably cut down some characters and switch some for other ones. Tarble, King Vegeta, Chilled and Kuriza should be more prominent by now. Android 21's and Uub's absences are felt too.
Oh shoot, you're right! How could I have forgotten Oob and Majoob? My bad. And maybe I could add Tarble, Abo, Kado, and Abo Kado to the story mode.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:00 pm Bardock doesn't have Super Saiyan? I feel like him not having Super Saiyan to be a major part of the character missing.
To be fair, it doesn't make any logical sense for either Z or Super Bardock to be a Super Saiyan anyway. Either he went Super Saiyan with a power level of 10,000, or Freeza's Supernova have him a 300x Zenkai boost. Both of them make zero sense anyway, which is why SSJ Bardock was left out.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:00 pm I'm not a game developer but I would assume some content here must be removed since you plan on releasing this game even for mobile devices. I don't think a game meant for major consoles will work on Android and such. Unless you intend to make this version different from the others right from the start.
The mobile ports may be scaled down a bit, with some removed characters. But I think that everything MAY be able to be ported over.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:02 am

Imagine wanting "logical sense" when Dragon Ball Super exists. Where people are seemingly comfortable with Android 17 being "on par with Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku" even though he didn't do anything to increase his power to that level. Where Freeza went from being weaker than everyone after his saga ended to surpass Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku in just four months.

If Super Saiyan Bardock didn't make sense before, now it totally does. We have more absurd things to take into consideration instead of a simple huge zenkai boost (which also isn't far-fetched because Goku also got a huge zenkai boost in Freeza saga too).

And if your criteria to add characters and/or forms is that it must make sense, then remove everything related to Dragon Ball Super, nothing there makes sense.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:02 am Nah, if Super Saiyan Bardock didn't make sense before, now it totally does. We have more absurd things to take into consideration instead of a simple huge zenkai boost (which also isn't far-fetched because Goku also got a huge zenkai boost in Freeza saga too).
Fair point, but I can...kind of see how Bardock got the huge zenkai. Goku got a 33× boost in power after Ginyu hurt himself + Vegeta's beatings + an hour in the healing pod, but we not only don't know how long Bardock was unconscious, but I'm pretty sure a giant, planet destroying fiery ball of death, would give a much larger zenkai than a hole in your chest and getting beaten up by Vegeta.
Grimlock wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:02 am And if your criterium to add characters and/or forms is that it must make sense, then remove everything related to Dragon Ball Super, nothing there makes sense.
Eh, my only criteria for characters or forms is that it doesn't come from Heroes...because Heroes is just a whole other can of worms. It's a power scaling nightmare and gives out new forms faster than Super does and only RECENTLY has the story gotten interesting (but in exchange for so many new forms...at least they look better than red hair, golden body, blue hair, blue hair but your body is blushing, pink hair, gold body with red and blue arm outlines, slightly risen hair, bluer hair, purple aura, slightly risen white hair, red aura, Potential Unleashed with yellow eyes, green aura Super Saiyan, green Super Saiyan, purple hair, yellow skin, orange skin, white Shindō Productions hair, and black skin).

But back to the criteria; yeah, it's just no Heroes characters. I'll happily throw in Tarble, #21, Hatchiyack, SSJ3 Vegeta and Broly, or maybe Sprite Battle exclusive stuff like the Super Saiyan 4 bargain sale. Maybe the Z movies could be free DLC, while stuff like Super Hero, DB FighterZ stuff, Dragon Ball Fusions characters like Prillin or Tiencha/Yamhan from Budokai 2, and original Dragon Ball content, you would have to pay the low low price of three dollars for.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:24 am

Regarding the platform to prioritise on, I'm not sure if having it on mobile devices is a great idea in the long term. Of course you can connect to SEA and other regions where console and PC gaming is expensive there, but it could also be used as an opportunity to nickel and dime players through microtransactions, alongside the fact that the game might need a ton of space and specs to accommodate it anyway. Which could be a detriment towards areas with less than stellar Internet. And anyways, is it a seperate mobile port compared to the other ports or is that the basis for the other ports on consoles and PC? Not saying its impossible, but if so, then you might need to take into account emulators, control options, etc., with its own can of worms to deal with.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:28 am

Wrigglything wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:24 am Is it a seperate mobile port compared to the other ports or is that the basis for the other ports on consoles and PC?
Yes; some of the obvious differences would be crossplay with consoles and PC being ditched in favor of crossplay with Android and iOS, the DBS Broly and Super Hero characters and story modes being locked behind a paywall (maybe like $4.99), controller support is removed and instead, would use touchscreen controls (8 direction circle pad on the lower left, lock on is removed in favor of always facing your opponent, a button for light and heavy punches, a shield button to guard, an aura button to power up, a Super Saiyan hair button to transform a down facing arrow button to detransform, a small energy ball button to fire a ki blast, and a beam button to do supers and ultimates, an), cutscenes are pre-made rather than being rendered during the game, and instead of normal flight, flight works similarly to FighterZ where if you jump and press the power up button, you power up and dash to your opponent.

Also, I took this idea from another game idea I had, but there could be an 11th mode in the game called Customize, where you can change the movesets of playable characters based on moves they used in the anime. So for example, you could give Final Form Freeza the Emperor's Death Beam, any form of Cell the Final Flash or something, Captain Ginyu the ability to use Kaioken, Vegetto the Big Bang Kamehameha as an Ultimate, Super Gogeta the Spirit Sword, Z Future Trunks the Sword of Hope, etc.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:18 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 amFair point, but I can...kind of see how Bardock got the huge zenkai. Goku got a 33× boost in power after Ginyu hurt himself + Vegeta's beatings + an hour in the healing pod, but we not only don't know how long Bardock was unconscious, but I'm pretty sure a giant, planet destroying fiery ball of death, would give a much larger zenkai than a hole in your chest and getting beaten up by Vegeta.
Be that as it may, the series never established a limit to how much a character can get from the zenkai. So, like you said, Bardock's situation makes him get a huge zenkai, which thus gets everything here to make sense.
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 amEh, my only criteria for characters or forms is that it doesn't come from Heroes...because Heroes is just a whole other can of worms.
Then forget about Dragon Ball Heroes, Bardock appears as a Super Saiyan in a 2011 OVA. Games include him in this form thanks to it, if he only existed in Heroes, we wouldn't be getting him in other games with the Super Saiyan form.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:00 pm

If you ask me, they should just make an open world Dragon Ball game with an original story.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:35 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:00 pm If you ask me, they should just make an open world Dragon Ball game with an original story.
May I introduce you to Dragon Ball: Xeno Multiverse?