Dragon Ball Kai OVA Special - Otherworld Tournament

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Dragon Ball Kai OVA Special - Otherworld Tournament

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:19 am

Kai has a glaring omission, I can't be the only person fond of the Otherworld Tournament Arc right?

So as everyone knows, after Trunks defeats Cell in his time, but before Gohan goes to high school, the anime gave us a 5 episode filler arc of Goku in a fighting tournament in Otherworld. A mini-arc that Kai didn't do for whatever reason. Usually this would be good as Kai is meant to be Dragon Ball without the filler, however this arc is important if you're a Dragon Ball viewer for two reasons.

One is because in the montage at the end of Kai episode 98 we SEE this arc, it shows Goku vs Paikuhan. Two is if you watch just Kai and then watch the films, you're going to be real confused at Z Movie 12 where Paikuhan and elements of Otherworld have an important part of the film. So I decided to Kai up the 5 episodes that are the Otherworld Tournament Arc. Turning them into a OVA episode for Kai.

Changes include removing contradictory or needless parts, Goku and Paikuhan still go to fight Cell and Freeza, but the fight is not show, any mention of Freeza is removed since based on Super he should not be in hell with Cell. Goku racing East Kai is removed as it's unimportant, as is East Kai training her crew mid-tournament. I also removed Super Saiyan Kaio-ken as this is another element that can't exist because of Super. Goku vs Caterpie is greatly shortened. It comes out to 36 minutes total, a massive reduction from the original 5 episodes.

I also tried my best to make this product a KAI product. So OP and ED are Dragon Soul and Kokoro no Hane. Kai Eyecatches are used and I replaced the Kikuchi score with Yamamoto. However my biggest issue is voice, in order to change the music I needed 5.1 audio, the English dub provides this so I am using the original Z dub, the quality is serviceable and the only voice discrepancy between Kai and this is the narrator, with Kyle Hebert being used for this special as I lacked narration by Doc Morgan. Kokoro no Hane currently lacks any credits for the episode, I plan to update it with credits in the future. I am using Dragon Box masters for the video.

This release at it's current stage is only a beta. The episode is done and edited, however for some reason the 5.1 audio has the sound effects mainly tied to the same track as the OST (Which is muted). The SE still exist on the voiceover track, but is much much quieter, I have added some effects with what I had on my PC, namely aura and Kamehameha SE, but there is still many parts where the SE is too quiet. Specifically impact sounds like punches and the SE of Paikuhan's Thunder Flash. If anyone knows where I can find these SE to update this release it'd be much appreciated. I am unsure about my choices with the OST, I added some Budokai tracks and also am unsure how my audio editing worked out for balancing and song placement. Feedback is appreciated so I can update this to be a better release.

To summarize.
5 episodes into a 36 minute special.
Unnecessary story elements and elements which contradict Super are removed.
OP and ED: Dragon Soul and Kokoro no Hane
Video: Dragon Box
Audio: Z English Dub with replaced Yamamoto score. Unsure on score placement and balancing. Sound Effects subpar and need replacing.
ED credits unfinished.

Initial Release: (link removed by administrator - content of this scale cannot be distributed here)

Please check it out and provide some feedback so I can update it to a better release in the future. THANKS!
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Kai OVA Special - Otherworld Tournament

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:45 am

As the link has been removed due to Kanzenshuu rules and I can't edit my OP for some reason. The link to the file can now be found on my website.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Unnamed

Post by Unnamed » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:48 pm

The link on your website is not available anymore. Could you post a new link on there? Appreciate it.
“Power comes in response to a need, not a desire.” – Son Goku
“Sometimes, we have to look beyond what we want and do what’s best.” – Piccolo
“There’s no such thing as fair or unfair in battle. There is only victory or in your case, defeat.” – Vegeta

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:43 am

Somehow I missed this one. If anyone has this, please PM me!

Similar to the cut I did of the Garlic Jr. Saga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45796&hilit=dead+zone+2+fanedit
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."