Characters with manga colors in Z Movies 6-9

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Characters with manga colors in Z Movies 6-9

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:33 pm

So, I hardly see people talking about this or even noticing this, but it's about Goku & Piccolo colors in Cooler's Return, The Three Great Super Saiyans, Broly 1 and Galaxy in Danger. The two clearly have their colors much more accurate to the manga, with Goku's gi being much more a yellow-ish orange, and Piccolo's belt being red, we all know that Goku's gi is a very red-ish orange in the regular TV Series, and Piccolo's belt is blue (which is kept until DBS Broly and in some non-canon productions as Heroes), their regular TV colors are kept in Movies 1-5, Goku's gi returns to it's "original" color in Movie 10, but in the same movie, which is Piccolo's last appearance in a Z era movie, his belt remains red (even though it's not him, funnily enough, Kuririn's disguise have a blue belt), Teen Gohan also have a red belt in Movie 8 just like in the manga, while it's Blue in the TV series just like Piccolo, Kuririn and Yamcha's Gis in Movies 6 and 9 also are a Yellow'ish Orange. Does all of this have any explanation?? Why did in Movies 6, 7, 8 and 9 they decided to make their colors more accurate to the manga? Why only in these movies? And why they decided to return with Goku's gi regular TV color for the last 4 movies?
(Fun fact: I always thought Piccolo's having a red belt was basically the Movies trying to give a different design for Kamiccolo, as Movie 6 is Kamiccolo's first appearance in a film)
I'll be grateful for any kind of info.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.