What chance would Dragon Ball 86 have it was remade today?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

What chance would Dragon Ball 86 have it was remade today?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:59 am

The 80s comedy Urusei Yatsura got a reboot that premiered this October.

While it's just started, it's reportedly the same source material adapted, just with more advanced visuals.

If Dragon Ball 86 gets a remake in the future, here's hoping it can have similar success.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What chance would Dragon Ball 86 have it was remade today?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:24 am

I'm just thinking of all those redrawn flashbacks to the original Dragon Ball in Super and its for the best they don't.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:29 am

If David Productions or Ufotable did it, and they would get proper budget and time, then i think it would work :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:45 am

That depends on numerous factors, like the goal of the production team and the amount of production time allotted the series. Is it going to be a long-running series, seasonal or just the occasional special?

Toei Animation recently adapted the 349 chapter Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken for a second time, this time covering all 349 chapters in 100 episodes. Furthermore, the series was allowed enough time to finish about 26 episodes before the first episode was even broadcast on television. This allowed for the series to have numerous skilled animators enough time to work on it and produce lengthy action-heavy scenes. Would a potential remake of the first 195 chapters of the 1984 Dragon Ball comic be given the same time and resources? Even if they just cover four chapters (sixty pages) per episode that would only require 49 episodes.

My only exposure to Uruse Yatsura has unfortunantly been the first episode of both series, neither of which stood out as all that impressive to me. Uruse Yatsura (2022) unfortunantly appears to have hindered the production of the JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stone Ocean animated adaption, which I find to be a shame, but is also not particularly indosyncritc an adaption yet. I am no fan of adaptions where the personal style of the production crew does not come through in favor of safeguarding perceptions of the work from the comic or prior adaptions so if Dragon Ball were to be given a second adaption it would be my hope that it is led only by a skilled director with a powerful style of their own.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:46 pm

Well they should
I see only win-win and perhaps getting rid of roshi's unapropiate scenes for these times for good.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:56 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:46 pm Well they should
I see only win-win and perhaps getting rid of roshi's unapropiate scenes for these times for good.
They can just edit those scenes out. No need to redraw the whole thing.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:05 pm

Geraldo wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:56 pm
A remake would not have to draw inappropriate things in the first place.
She/Her
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:58 pm

So, are we talking a Sailor Moon Crystal kind of deal here? As in something that is more or less a straight adaptation of the DB portion of the manga. Which the former essentially was given that Toei with the OG anime run took Takeuchi's manga and changed things/took liberties while loosely following the overall storyline.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:37 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:05 pm
And what good will planning compositions, drawing, coloring and scanning and timing the rest of the whole thing do? They already have the product.

I'm against remakes, and all for new content.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:45 pm

The Dragon Quest anime is finished? Nice. Time to run through it sometime soon then. I watched the original version at the beginning of 2020 and thought it unfortunate that it was cut short years before the manga ended.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:48 pm

Geraldo wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:37 pm

And what good will planning compositions, drawing, coloring and scanning and timing the rest of the whole thing do? They already have the product.

No, they don't. A hypothetical remake is still a hypothetical and can therefore simply be created in a way devoid of inappropriate nonsense.
Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:45 pm The Dragon Quest anime is finished? Nice. Time to run through it sometime soon then. I watched the original version at the beginning of 2020 and thought it unfortunate that it was cut short years before the manga ended.
Episode #99 just aired, so this coming Friday will be when Episode #100 airs.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:32 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:48 pm
Geraldo wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:37 pm

No, they don't. A hypothetical remake is still a hypothetical and can therefore simply be created in a way devoid of inappropriate nonsense.
Do they already have the material from the beginning of Dragon Ball to the defeat of Piccolo Jr. as Akira Toriyama drew in his manga? Yup.

Do they have the opportunity to trim the inappropriate content out of this sum of animated material? Yup.

Therefore, they already have the product. No need to recreate it. It's a waste of environmental materials, workforce and time.

I shall add no more. No need of addressing me.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:26 am

I would love to see a new adaptation of the Dragon Ball manga from start to finish. It would be a great gateway for new audiences to see the original story again. That being said, please DO NOT censor the manga's original humor or violence.

To each their own, however, I am very surprised that so many people want a remake of the original Dragon Ball just to trim the inappropriate content. That is part of the charm of the show, and Dragon Ball is very mild compared to other anime out there. If Dragon Ball Super has shown anything, it's that a G rated Dragon Ball can get very boring very quickly. The raunchy humor of the original is so silly that I think it is disrespectful to the intelligence of even children if we think that it is going to impact how young men will interact with women in real life. It's so obviously silly and over the top nobody should be looking at the humor in Dragon Ball and think that it will have a negative impact in real life.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:16 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:26 am The raunchy humor of the original is so silly that I think it is disrespectful to the intelligence of even children if we think that it is going to impact how young men will interact with women in real life. It's so obviously silly and over the top nobody should be looking at the humor in Dragon Ball and think that it will have a negative impact in real life.
People don't say "children are like sponges" for nothing. Children pick up on behaviors and ideas they're exposed to and over time that helps shape the type of people they will become. Acting like this isn't a thing that happens or that the problematic aspects of Dragon Ball can't possibly contribute to that is frankly sticking your head in the sand.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:21 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:26 am I would love to see a new adaptation of the Dragon Ball manga from start to finish. It would be a great gateway for new audiences to see the original story again. That being said, please DO NOT censor the manga's original humor or violence.

To each their own, however, I am very surprised that so many people want a remake of the original Dragon Ball just to trim the inappropriate content. That is part of the charm of the show, and Dragon Ball is very mild compared to other anime out there. If Dragon Ball Super has shown anything, it's that a G rated Dragon Ball can get very boring very quickly. The raunchy humor of the original is so silly that I think it is disrespectful to the intelligence of even children if we think that it is going to impact how young men will interact with women in real life. It's so obviously silly and over the top nobody should be looking at the humor in Dragon Ball and think that it will have a negative impact in real life.
You can, in fact, not use misogyny as a punchline and still not be G-rated. What's so G-rated about Dragon Ball Super literally having the Muten Roushi running around sexually assaulting and sexually harassing women?
Majin Buu wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:16 am
Majin Man 101 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:26 am The raunchy humor of the original is so silly that I think it is disrespectful to the intelligence of even children if we think that it is going to impact how young men will interact with women in real life. It's so obviously silly and over the top nobody should be looking at the humor in Dragon Ball and think that it will have a negative impact in real life.
People don't say "children are like sponges" for nothing. Children pick up on behaviors and ideas they're exposed to and over time that helps shape the type of people they will become. Acting like this isn't a thing that happens or that the problematic aspects of Dragon Ball can't possibly contribute to that is frankly sticking your head in the sand.
This, this, this.
She/Her
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:58 am

Dragon Ball getting a remake like Captain Tsubasa and Dragon Quest, I think that would be good.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:39 am

So the debate over whether Kai should have been reanimated has extended toward Dragon Ball?

I would be all for it. I really wouldn't mind. There are so many things that could have been fixed--plenty of times that the animation was wonky.

Personally, I think they Sailor Moon Crystal's visuals lost some charm that the original had, but we know what modern-day Dragon Ball would look like. It's not bad at all, really.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:50 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:39 am So the debate over whether Kai should have been reanimated has extended toward Dragon Ball?

I would be all for it. I really wouldn't mind. There are so many things that could have been fixed--plenty of times that the animation was wonky.

Personally, I think they Sailor Moon Crystal's visuals lost some charm that the original had, but we know what modern-day Dragon Ball would look like. It's not bad at all, really.
Wonky animation is pretty inescapable, even if the series was remade from scratch. It would take a rich, eccentric fan to essentially pay for the series to not be released until it was animated perfectly to get a series without the occasional bad drawing of movement. Unfortunantly, we don't live in such a world.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:48 pm

Most of the worst Roshi moments in the original Dragon Ball were Toei additions so a theoretical new anime adaptation that's truer to the manga would get rid of those scenes anyways.

And apparently it needs to be reiterated you can make a character horny without making them a sexual predator.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:33 pm

I actually adore the original style, even more so than Z's that kept changing studios and one episode would have perfect animation and the next one would have chubby characters with pointy noses, fucked up faces, and wonky hair.

Dragonball is the only series of the franchise with consistent art, art that I can enjoy from start to end, so I would only advocate for just editing the Roshi and Oolong scenes.